Options

Ghost peppers

Comments

• Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Another remedy when you are overcome with the heat is to eat a spoon of sugar. I learned this in Bangladesh. I once almost lost consciousness from eating some chili made with habaneros. But I still love hot peppers. With leftover peppers, you can lay them out on a cookie sheet, freeze them individually, put them in a ziplock bag, and use for cooking as needed.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    JaneNY wrote:
    Another remedy when you are overcome with the heat is to eat a spoon of sugar. I learned this in Bangladesh. I once almost lost consciousness from eating some chili made with habaneros. But I still love hot peppers. With leftover peppers, you can lay them out on a cookie sheet, freeze them individually, put them in a ziplock bag, and use for cooking as needed.

+1...not because you almost lost consciousness, but because now I remember why I drink REALLY, REALLY sweet tea when I eat "home" foods. :mrgreen:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • Options
    RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    Shimmy I haven't said this yet, but thanks for the instructions re: the baby. I def. don't want to make him feel bad/sick b/c of my love of hot food. Closed the kitchen off all day while drying the peppers, and washed my hands like 8 times after handling them so as not to make him feel bad.
  • Options
    ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    RW81233 wrote:
    Shimmy I haven't said this yet, but thanks for the instructions re: the baby. I def. don't want to make him feel bad/sick b/c of my love of hot food. Closed the kitchen off all day while drying the peppers, and washed my hands like 8 times after handling them so as not to make him feel bad.

You are welcome. My parents would have us go over to a friend's for the day. Even after they would be done, my eyes would still burn for at least a day after...my parents made tons of pepper sauces! Literally hand milling 5 pounds of peppers on one day.

Oh and if you can still smell the pepper use lime or lemon or vinegar to remove the smell. :D

Enjoy! :mrgreen:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    There is a place a few burbs over that makes chicken vindaloo with the ghost....i need to try it
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I wish I had the space to grow a veggie garden. One major downfall to apartment/condo living. :(
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    I make chocolate infused with ghost pepper salt. The spicy and sweet is awesome.
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    Is this where we talk about peppers? I have a lot of cayenne and tabasco peppers growing. Any recommended recipes? Especially for yellow cayenne. Looking like I am going to have a lot of them. Planning on making a home made hot sauce with some of the red guys.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,756
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I wish I had the space to grow a veggie garden. One major downfall to apartment/condo living. :(
    window boxes. barring that , I would hope there are community gardens available.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    bambi girlbambi girl Posts: 406
    we have some dorset nagas growing at the moment. my better half is a hot head...but when he cooks with them we have to be so careful, it's like pepper spray filling the kitchen.

we have a lot of dehydrated peppers to use in cooking, too....but i'm no good for recipe advice. i'm still trying to add basic thai chillies to my food to build up the heat.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I have some Habaneros growing and also some other Hot Peppers. Very excited.
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    my ghosties are back, plus cayenne, pepperoncini, cubanelles, and regular peppers all but the cubanelle seem to be doing well.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252
    I ate an entire habanero once. One chomp and oh man did that hurt!! :lol:
    Never tried ghosts. They have them at the local grocery store...might have to give them a try!
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,504
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    http://youtu.be/UNaxL_O4PIU
    chuck from the bronx

he's funny
    :lol:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    RW81233 wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:
    my ghosties are back, plus cayenne, pepperoncini, cubanelles, and regular peppers all but the cubanelle seem to be doing well.

Thats awesome.

Im going to see how my crops go this season. I have tomatoes and cherry tomatoes as well. Next year, I would be interested in possibly growing ghost peppers.

Do you know of any in particular that are OK in the Northeast?
  • Options
    Anyone dried the peppers outside or is it just best to buy a dehydrator?
  • Options

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Just got my hands on about half a dozen ghost peppers. What should I do with them? Chili? Hot sauce? Both?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Just got my hands on about half a dozen ghost peppers. What should I do with them? Chili? Hot sauce? Both?
    if dried chili with all of them and make it a big pot, if fresh use like 3. Then dry the other 3 and crush them and mix them with some milder peppers to sprinkle on pizza, in olive oil for dipping, etc.
  • Options
    RW81233 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    if dried chili with all of them and make it a big pot, if fresh use like 3. Then dry the other 3 and crush them and mix them with some milder peppers to sprinkle on pizza, in olive oil for dipping, etc.

They are fresh. I'll do a big pot of chili and dry the others. Have a bunch of cayenne and tobasco peppers that I grew that will mix in nicely.
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Ghost peppers on Sunday will give you Ghost ass on Monday

-Confuscious
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,783
    edited September 2021
    Bud gave me 5. Made a peach jam with 2. Will let it sit for a while and can't wait to try it. 
    I never messed with super hot peps before. Didn't even touch them.
    Post edited by Loujoe on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,619
    Loujoe said:
    Bud gave me 5. Made a peach jam with 2. Will let it sit for a while and can't wait to try it. 

You put 2 of those bad boys in one jar?  Or a batch?
    My only experience, years ago, was that they are very hot...have had many sauces since that are watered down versions (also very hot) but that original sauce was the real deal and I had some intestinal problems for about 24 hours.
    Even my ass cheeks were on fire from the voiding.
    :lol:    
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,783
    Noooo. I'll be careful. One in each medium jar. I know it might be dangerous 'butt' figured the sugar and peaches may balance it. 
    May eat it a toothpick at a time.

Thanks for the 'voiding' visual. Hilarious!
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,864
    This restaurant is in my neighborhood. I once asked to just have a little taste of the sauce in a bowl. I tried enough to fit on the end of a toothpick. It was enough. I was in there once where someone ordered it, and he disappeared into the bathroom quite quickly. His girlfriend told us they were flying to London the next day. I can only imagine what that plane ride was like.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I miss chadwick.

Anyone ever catch Hot Ones?
    https://youtu.be/8Lvrikv6oPs
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,619
    Watched all of Hot Ones until the last few seasons, still watch sporadically.  Like it!

Thought the same re:Chad.

GG, I laughed out loud about the plane flight to London part.  :lol:.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,867
    Homer Eating Chili Pepper - The Simpsons GIF - The Simpsons  Quetzlzacatenango Chili - Discover amp Share GIFs
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly