Options

Ghost peppers

RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
edited October 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
This is the second year I've grown a veggie garden, and I have the normal stuff peas, carrots, broc, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, etc. but I always try something a little crazy too. This year I'm growing ghost peppers, and the first one has sprouted. Obviously I have to eat one raw just to say I've done it in my life, and maybe make a few surprise pepper poppers to go along with my jalapenos. However, what do I do with the 15-20 left over? Does anyone have any recipes they've used and liked? Or am I the only one stupid enough to give this a try.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    you're the only one stupid enough! :lol:
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    I know someone that eat a piece of one, lets just say, its not worth it... I really love hot spicy stuff myself, the hotter the better, but i wouldn't dare try that, but if you do, let us know how it went.

also i'll tell you. a good few years ago at a mexican restaraunt, i had stuffed jalapeno peppers for starters and there was a little side salad, and i eat one of the normal peppers on the plate... might've been a scotch bonnet, but i didn't know at the time.... fuck i think i drunk the whole jug of water on the table in record time, with steam coming out my ears... ha ha.
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Options
    ouch...I grew either Trinidad Scorpions or Scotch Bonnets last year (they were sold as the former but my dad's co-worker thought they were the latter), and they made great poppers. Not sure about these guys.
  • Options
    Holy Fuck...ho-leee....FUCK. It burns...my eyes are draining tears, and my lips are tingling. I'm drying the rest for ghost pepper powder in my food dehydrator. Jesus shit this is no joke.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    RW81233 wrote:
    Holy Fuck...ho-leee....FUCK. It burns...my eyes are draining tears, and my lips are tingling. I'm drying the rest for ghost pepper powder in my food dehydrator. Jesus shit this is no joke.

yup. i saw a friend of mine eat 4 in a row. after the 2nd one, he started sweating like crazy & turned beat red. he then chugged a 1/2 gallon of milk, but it didn't help. those things are crazyspicy.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    RW81233 wrote:
    This is the second year I've grown a veggie garden, and I have the normal stuff peas, carrots, broc, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, etc. but I always try something a little crazy too. This year I'm growing ghost peppers, and the first one has sprouted. Obviously I have to eat one raw just to say I've done it in my life, and maybe make a few surprise pepper poppers to go along with my jalapenos. However, what do I do with the 15-20 left over? Does anyone have any recipes they've used and liked? Or am I the only one stupid enough to give this a try.

You could email Demi. She knows all about a ghost's "pepper". ;)

ghost_clay_studio.jpg
  • Options
    hahahahaha
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Its the oil i tell ya....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    capthowdy1027capthowdy1027 Posts: 3,270
    RW81233 wrote:

Hahahahahahaha. Sorry to laugh but that post really nailed the feeling of eating one of those. They are no joke at all.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    alright i'm over it now, but good god that shit was nuts. had to do it though u don't grow those shits for nothing.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    RW81233 wrote:
    alright i'm over it now, but good god that shit was nuts. had to do it though u don't grow those shits for nothing.
    Don't kid yourself, you are only halfway there. :mrgreen::lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    awww fuck...i'm going for ice cream right now.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    81 wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

and the 2nd half is worse.... :shock:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    edited August 2011
    Make a modified version of this http://www.trinigourmet.com/index.php/b ... ce-recipe/ since you are familiar with scotch bonnets. You can coat or dip wings in them or add it to chili. Oh, when you make the hot sauce, be sure to wear gloves and do not touch your eyes.

Next time you taste, be sure you have some milk nearby.

I am absolutely serious too.
    Post edited by ShimmyMommy on
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

and the 2nd half is worse.... :shock:

i enjoy the second act. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Make a modified version of this http://www.trinigourmet.com/index.php/b ... ce-recipe/ since you are familiar with scotch bonnets. You can coat or dip wings in them or add it to chili. Oh, when you make the hot sauce, be sure to wear gloves and do not touch your eyes.

Why do people eat things they have to touch with gloves and keep away from their eyes?? :lol:
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:

Why do people eat things they have to touch with gloves and keep away from their eyes?? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I don't know, but my dad brother LOVE the hottest sauces...I stopped eating it because, when I was 7, a bowl fell out of the fridge and spilled all over my face and in my eyes...it was sooooo painful!!! :(

Oh, and when you decide to grind up the peppers for hot sauce, be sure you do it with the windows open...and your baby is not at home.

OK, here's better idea...sell the peppers to someone else...it's just safer....
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:

Why do people eat things they have to touch with gloves and keep away from their eyes?? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I don't know, but my dad brother LOVE the hottest sauces...I stopped eating it because, when I was 7, a bowl fell out of the fridge and spilled all over my face and in my eyes...it was sooooo painful!!! :(

Oh, and when you decide to grind up the peppers for hot sauce, be sure you do it with the windows open...and your baby is not at home.

OK, here's better idea...sell the peppers to someone else...it's just safer....

ouch!
  • Options
    spicey food is the best.

the problem with spicey food in america is that ALOT of americans like bland food. then us spicey lovers go in and get bland food. i'd kill for some good spicey chicken vindaloo that makes one sweat.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    spicey food is the best.

the problem with spicey food in america is that ALOT of americans like bland food. then us spicey lovers go in and get bland food. i'd kill for some good spicey chicken vindaloo that makes one sweat.

I do love spicy foods...do not get me wrong! I just don't like when it has the capability to burn my eyeballs out!! :lol::lol: Then you can't really enjoy the spicy flavourings in there...like a fine wine... dammit...now I am hungry and thirsty!! :lol::lol:
  • Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Send them to me. I use them in my OMG hot wings. :thumbup:
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I am a spicy food fanatic, and I will not mess with the Ghost. Period.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    P-JamP-Jam Posts: 807
    I grew ghosts last year here in Northern New England. One interesting thing to note though is that hot peppers are affected by climate. While the ghost pepper is capable of being the hottest pepper, it isn't as hot when grown in most climates, mine included. They did come out pretty darn hot though!!! Hottest pepper I've grown!
    I used them to make some hot salsa. I used a little bit of those mixed with other peppers, and used tomatoes, onions, garlic, etc that I grew and canned it. Came out delicious!!!! down to my last couple jars of it now...
  • Options
    Also the farm I work on part time grows a HUGE selection of hot peppers. It's a spicy-food lovers paradise! :D
  • Options
    Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    42 minutes of
    lip-peeling agony-
    a big price to pay.
    Knowing what those ghost peppers
    everyone talks about actually
    feel like on the way down- priceless.

As for those who referenced the...
    uh, 2nd half of the experience:
    I concur; the "fun" is just beginning!
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • Options
    I think I'm all better now. It wasn't the end of the world, and I dried up my other 3 (still have at least a dozen on the plant) and ground them up to go on wings, or maybe homemade potato chips. Also read that they can be hotter in warmer spots (with the summer we've had I'm pretty sure it was a good growing season for them). It was certainly hot, and fun to grow. Probably will do it again next year.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,923
    Heat aside, how is the flavor?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    RW81233 wrote:
    I think I'm all better now. It wasn't the end of the world, and I dried up my other 3 (still have at least a dozen on the plant) and ground them up to go on wings, or maybe homemade potato chips. Also read that they can be hotter in warmer spots (with the summer we've had I'm pretty sure it was a good growing season for them). It was certainly hot, and fun to grow. Probably will do it again next year.
    I agree, very fun to grow and pack a serious wallop!!! :thumbup:
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Heat aside, how is the flavor?
    it's so hot that i can't accurately say if this is true, but I think it's very sweet (like HOT sweet) for about 4 seconds, then the heat just keeps coming in waves. I dried my 3 ripes as well as some cayenne and jalapeno and chopped them up today. Sprinkled the mix on my Naan pizza and it was Fantastic. Flavor is there in small doses VERY small doses.