"Disney World" or "Universal Studios" which is better?

Backspacer 76Backspacer 76 Posts: 960
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I want to take the family to Orlando in August for a fun vacation.
It will be myself,wife and 2 kids(13 & 16).
Which park is better?
Any information is greatly appreciated.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,356
    Hmmm...don't know about your kids age range. I've been to Disney World each of the last 3 years with my then 1 year old, then 2 year old and then 3 year old little girl. We love Disney, especially with a younger child.

I would be willing to bet that Universal has more fun rides for kids your kids' age, but Disney World is more than just a park if you stay onsite. Really nice, relaxing vacation that is as busy as you want it to be.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • autumnautumn Posts: 191
    It depends on what you and your family like to do. Universal is alot more fun to me and considering the ages of your kids, they may agree. Are they into Harry Potter at all, because that's the big deal at Universal. There's a lot more "grown up" rides at Universal like roller coasters and stuff like that.

Have you/they ever been to Disney? It really is a unique experience, so if you have never been, you may want to do that. There are also 4 different parks at Disney world each with their own feel. Universal has 2.

I would say if you don't care about Harry Potter and have never been to Disney, go there. If Harry Potter is a big deal and the family likes coasters, do Universal. Hope this helps! :)
  • CServantCServant Posts: 1,182
    Based on the ages of your kids, I'd say Universal. There is a Disney Magic, but it is typically geared towards younger children. Your kids would probably enjoy the rides more at Universal and they do have some great coasters! Really, you can't go wrong with either.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Cedar Point?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • GrandmaGrandma Posts: 259
    Think we need more info on likes and amount of time you plan to spend etc. Disney World is a world unto itself - I've been there for 10 consecutive days and didn't see it all or leave the property. But Harry Potter is supposed to be the best themed land anywhere now.

If you want more details may I suggest disboards.com -- there are threads there for Universal and other parks besides DIsney. Lots of expertise. My 2 great loves happen to be PJ and Disney which is a hard combo to explain to anyone :) --

btw I prefer CA's Disneyland to WDW since it's more charming and our CA weather is a LOT better.
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    Going by your kids ages, I would go with Universal. Try staying at The Hard Rock because #1 it's awesome and #2 you get front of line access which is huge because they can get long. It may cost you, but to stay on site at Disney it's $$ too.
    Love Universal!!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Posts: 3,428
    I want to take the family to Orlando in August for a fun vacation.
    It will be myself,wife and 2 kids(13 & 16).
    Which park is better?
    Any information is greatly appreciated.

As your friendly, neighborhood Travel Agent, I would recommend staying on site at Disney, rent a car and go to Universal for a day or two--it's only 15 miles away from Disney and easy to get to. Universal is made of two parks, Island of Adventure and Universal Studios. Islands of Adventure is mainly roller coasters, and as cool as Harry Potter is, there's not much to do: 3 rides, a few shops, a wand-thing and restaurants, and if you don't do roller coasters, there's nothing for you at Harry Potter aside from stores and a restaurant. Universal Studios has a bit more for the whole family. Disney has 4 parks, with something for everyone.

I'd be happy to tell you more about them...and I was just there in May :-) PM me if you want more info!

Janet (Liberty Travel)
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
    Sprunkn7 wrote:
    Going by your kids ages, I would go with Universal. Try staying at The Hard Rock because #1 it's awesome and #2 you get front of line access which is huge because they can get long. It may cost you, but to stay on site at Disney it's $$ too.
    Love Universal!!

If you opt for Universal, staying at one of the Universal hotels (Loews Portofino Bay, Hard Rock or Loews Royal Pacific) is absolutely worthwhile. early park access and the line pass can really save a lot of time, and since you can walk/boat to the parks from those hotels, you can go back and jump in the pool easily on those HOT August afternoons!

That said, there are great options for all budgets on Disney property too...

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Most Insane ? of ALL TIME!!!!

walt-disney-world-769770-722121.jpg

Your Welcome
    Most Insane ? of ALL TIME!!!!

walt-disney-world-769770-722121.jpg

Your Welcome

Nicely put.
    And the on-site hotel suggestion for either park is right on -in August you'll want to take a swim break in the heat of the day and take advantage of early morning. btw, Disney has 2 absolutely fabulous water parks - one (2?) of my very favorite things to do there.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    If you decide on Disney this website is the shiznit

http://allears.net/index.html

Reviews...news just about everything
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    If you decide on Disney this website is the shiznit

http://allears.net/index.html

Reviews...news just about everything

great site for planning dining reservations too, since they have menus.

• pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,053
    disney is awesome......

im 32 and i love the place

it has that magic that universal can never have

that said Universal has amazing rides...cant you fit both in? after all universal will take 2 days, Disney to do properly you might need 7.

Do consider Busch Gardens too....my favourite of all still and never as busy as the orlando parks.

Discovery Cove is also a fantastic day out, and relaxed with limited visitors per day.

Word of warning re Universal - be ready to queue - thats about all you do all day if you go on the wrong day...fast pass ticketing is essential.
  • Thanks for all of the feedback guys :)
    Reading these replies have been very helpful.
    It looks like it will end up being Universal.
    Our trip will be 5 days.
    3 at Universal and 2 days of driving to the beach (coco beach).
    My wife and I agreed that next year we should do Disney and stay on site for 5 to 6 days.
    Disney is bigger and will take more time & "money" to really enjoy.
    Thanks for all of the feedback guys :)
    Reading these replies have been very helpful.
    It looks like it will end up being Universal.
    Our trip will be 5 days.
    3 at Universal and 2 days of driving to the beach (coco beach).
    My wife and I agreed that next year we should do Disney and stay on site for 5 to 6 days.
    Disney is bigger and will take more time & "money" to really enjoy.

When going to Disney, I definitely suggest staying on site. I would also suggest a trip as long as you can afford.
    hippiemom = goodness
    Grandma wrote:
    Think we need more info on likes and amount of time you plan to spend etc. Disney World is a world unto itself - I've been there for 10 consecutive days and didn't see it all or leave the property. But Harry Potter is supposed to be the best themed land anywhere now.

If you want more details may I suggest disboards.com -- there are threads there for Universal and other parks besides DIsney. Lots of expertise. My 2 great loves happen to be PJ and Disney which is a hard combo to explain to anyone :) --

btw I prefer CA's Disneyland to WDW since it's more charming and our CA weather is a LOT better.

Thinking of hitting Disneyland next year with wife and 4 year old. Any good tips?
    hippiemom = goodness
    DisneyWorld takes a lot of planning to really do it right - August is too tight. When you do go - you're able to make dining reservations 180 days in advance (!) - and some of the really good restaurants fill up very fast on that 180th day out. Sign up for a video on their site - you may get lucky and get a discount offer in the mail.

For Disneyland - you probably only need 3 days if you go when it's not as busy ( fall/spring) but may need a 4th the rest of the year. Crowds are really strange the last year or 2 - there are over 1M local annual passholders so days that they can all go to the park are really busy, but 'blackout' days ( for the lower passes ) are much less so - which oddly means middle of summer and Saturdays can be lighter nowadays. Doesn't take as much planning for DL - leave yourself a day to go to one of the beaches ( Huntington Beach is really nice - Laguna is prettier but not as good a beach). Not as necessary to stay on site in DL either - although the Grand Californian is beautiful and has one of the best restaurants in Orange County ( Napa Rose). Lots of other hotels in shuttle or even walking distance - I know the Howard Johnson's across the street is popular.
    Check those websites - both disboards and allears have really useful info. Make sure you know about Fast Passes, and for any Disney park - and Universal - get there for opening (aka 'rope drop' - Disney at least lets you thru the ticket gates before opening). You'll get on more rides in the first couple of hours than the rest of the day.
    Do a character meal -- breakfast is usually cheapest --with the 4 year old - they're quite fun at that age! Also if you want to do adult rides there is something called a 'child swap' where you wait at the exit and ride separately - you have to ask the cast member at the front of the attraction for a child swap pass. The new Star Tours is great - definitely worth doing a swap to see ( there's a 40 inch height restriction and it's a little rough)

Report back on Harry Potter! Dying to see it.
  • dasvidanadasvidana Posts: 1,347
    I went to Orlando a couple of years ago with my family. My sons were 6 and 8 at the time. They definitely liked Universal studios better than Disney. Seemed like the Disney stuff was for younger kids, especially girls with all the princess stuff. I would recommend Universal over Disney any day.
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,053
    would highly recommend Animal kingdom lodge - amazing place
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    One thing to consider is the HEAT. August in Florida is brutal. The waterpark would be a great repreive from the heat.
    We were but stones your light made us stars