Attn Baseball Fans

2»

Comments

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,388
    The 81 wrote:
    maybe they should put the batting cage fence on the mound during the game...i mean, how many times does a pitcher have to get plunked before a career is cut short

Nerf Balls.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,577
    The 81 wrote:
    maybe they should put the batting cage fence on the mound during the game...i mean, how many times does a pitcher have to get plunked before a career is cut short

Nerf Balls.

and to make things easier on pitchers batting, maybe mlb could set up a tee for them to hit off of.

:lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • CServantCServant Posts: 1,182
    The DH is a joke! It takes so much strategy out of the game that the only one's overpaid are the AL Managers. Do they ever even make a double switch in the AL? Pitchers could hit if they worked on it more in Spring Training. Shoot, when I played, the pitchers were usually some of the best hitters on the team. They lose the ability because all they work on is bunting in Spring Training. All these guys are paid enough to pick-up a bat every 5th day!
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    CServant wrote:
    The DH is a joke! It takes so much strategy out of the game that the only one's overpaid are the AL Managers. Do they ever even make a double switch in the AL? Pitchers could hit if they worked on it more in Spring Training. Shoot, when I played, the pitchers were usually some of the best hitters on the team. They lose the ability because all they work on is bunting in Spring Training. All these guys are paid enough to pick-up a bat every 5th day!

every now and than, an AL manager will make a move that results in the DH being lost for the rest of the game.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,388
    CServant wrote:

Cliff Lee is typically one of the best hitters in the Phillies' lineup this year.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    DewieCox wrote:

Do pitchers throw harder or more pitches than they used to? I definitely disagree with harder.

Don't know how the average speed has progressed over the years, if at all. However, we do know that breaking pitches weren't quite as prevalent in baseball's early years and the split finger fastball and cut fastball are modern pitches. As the years have gone on, the position has become far more specialized. If there were more game film, this would be more apparent to the modern fan.
    DewieCox wrote:
    What's has it done for baseball beside allow players that can't hack it in the field a career?

That's exactly what it's done. You're welcome to enjoy the game however you like. Honestly ask yourself, though, whether the average fan would rather watch David Ortiz, Edgar Martinez, Frank Thomas, or Jim Thome hit 3-4 times per game vs. any pitcher. I don't think it's close.

DewieCox wrote:
    Why don't they focus on trying to get more pitchers to be better hitters? Alot of them are fine hitters at the lower levels.

They're not fine hitters at lower levels and, if any one is, it's because they're facing far inferior pitching. A team does not want to take the time to develop a pitcher's bat for (at most) 80-90 plate appearances per season. Do not underestimate how difficult it is to develop a raw arm into a serviceable major leaguer, much less an All-Star. Baseball history is littered with "can't miss" pitching prospects who never reached their potential for dozens of reasons. It is far more valuable for a team to develop a pitcher's command, mechanics, secondary stuff, and makeup than turning them into a .280 hitter.
    pjl44 wrote:
    That's exactly what it's done. You're welcome to enjoy the game however you like. Honestly ask yourself, though, whether the average fan would rather watch David Ortiz, Edgar Martinez, Frank Thomas, or Jim Thome hit 3-4 times per game vs. any pitcher. I don't think it's close.

i think it's closer than you expect.

in the end, i think people that were raised on the NL would say they prefer to see the pitcher bat. that's roughly half the country
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • CServantCServant Posts: 1,182
    The 81 wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:

in the end, i think people that were raised on the NL would say they prefer to see the pitcher bat. that's roughly half the country

Well put 81! I do think it all depends on which league your team plays in that gives you a preference.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
    The survey found 40 percent of fans think neither league should have the rule, while 29 percent say the National League should adopt it and 30 percent said things should stay as they are.

from a 2005 survey

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2199597
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:

right. and by "average fans," i'm assuming he's talking about idiots who prefer 10-8 four hour marathon games.
    www.myspace.com
    The 81 wrote:
    The survey found 40 percent of fans think neither league should have the rule, while 29 percent say the National League should adopt it and 30 percent said things should stay as they are.

from a 2005 survey

see the thing is it's been around for so long people are just used to it and accept it simply because that's the way its been their whole lives.

can you imagine if the idea of the dh was first put out there today as opposed to 1973?
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7390 ... next-to-go
    www.myspace.com
    The 81 wrote:

from a 2005 survey

see the thing is it's been around for so long people are just used to it and accept it simply because that's the way its been their whole lives.

can you imagine if the idea of the dh was first put out there today as opposed to 1973?

it's interesting that more people would prefer no DH in either league to people that would prefer DH in both leagues

the article is also humorous as Frank Thomas says the DH creates jobs. how does it do that? did they only have 24 players on a team before the DH came in. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:
    The 81 wrote:

the article is also humorous as Frank Thomas says the DH creates jobs. how does it do that? did they only have 24 players on a team before the DH came in. :lol:

i think i heard obama say that recently too. maybe putting the dh in the nl will be part of the next stimulus package.

HEY. OH. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    edited June 2011
    The 81 wrote:

from a 2005 survey

Right...so the majority think the DH in at least one league is preferable. It wasn't as lopsided as I would have guessed, but it's still a majority. I do think you have a good point about it relating to what you watched growing up or whenever you got into the game. I grew up an AL guy, so that could certainly have something to do with it.

And, yes, Frank Thomas's quote is ridiculous.
    Post edited by pjl44 on
    The 81 wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:

right. and by "average fans," i'm assuming he's talking about idiots who prefer 10-8 four hour marathon games.

Versus idiots who enjoy watching pitchers flail at breaking balls in the dirt?
    CServant wrote:

I don't get the "strategy" argument. The bulk of game strategy is lineup construction, platoon splits, pitcher workload, and bullpen maintenance. Pulling a double switch or hitting for the pitcher doesn't make a manager some brilliant tactician. It's a minor part of the game compared to everything else.
    pjl44 wrote:
    The 81 wrote:

from a 2005 survey

Right...so the majority think the DH in at least one league is preferable. It wasn't as lopsided as I would have guessed, but it's still a majority. I do think you have a good point about it relating to what you watched growing up or whenever you got into the game. I grew up an AL guy, so that could certainly have something to do with it.

And, yes, Frank Thomas's quote is ridiculous.

a bigger majority think that no DH in one league is preferable. ;)
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    pjl44 wrote:
    The 81 wrote:

Versus idiots who enjoy watching pitchers flail at breaking balls in the dirt?

no. these people just enjoy a little strategy to their game. baseball's the thinking man's game, right...at least in the nl. ;)
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,435
    Phillies-Cardinals game tuesday night is a perfect example of why not having the DH leads to more strategy. Top of the 7th Phils are down 1-0, 2 outs 1st and 2nd with Roy Halladay's spot up in the order. Decision has to be made to let him hit or pinch-hit for him. Phils pinch-hit so only got 6 innings out of the best pitcher in baseball. there is no reason for a great pitcher in the AL to ever pitch less than 7 innings. it's just a better game with no DH.

and as for Frank Thomas' comments, well aren't we lucky that we got to watch your fat ass for a few extra years. same with Big Papi. get in the field and play the game. i don't really want to see fat old guys just up there to hit. the game is about offense and defense.
    Good times, guys. I'm gonna e-mail Tim about having a DH Panel Discussion on the second stage at PJ20. Maybe squeeze us between Star Anna and Joseph Arthur.