Attn Baseball Fans

MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,679
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I was thinking the other night about MLB, and the potential awesome divisions that are out there. In the name of tradition, we stay away from major realignment.... but I think it could improve the league by a lot. In a 162 game schedule, it would make a ton more games desirable. Some great playoff matchups may be more frequent and possible.

Make pitchers bat in both leagues and toss teams around. You can pair up the Yankees and Mets, Cubs and White Sox, Anaheim/Dodgers, Texas/Houston, KC and St Louis, Cleveland/Cincy, Washington/Baltimore, etc

Im a huge fan of tradition in sports, but in history, there have been major shakeups at times which have molded what we see today. A division of the Mets, Phillies, Yankees, Red Sox, and Braves would be awesome (a bit tough though)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    the idea makes sense...

although, i'm not sure it makes sense to put same city teams in the same division. balance the schedule and let them play their home and home, but leave the big games to the world series, vs divisional or league finals
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,679
    that would be cool.... but a pennant race down the stretch between the white sox and cubs would be intense.

the centrals could be Cubs,White Sox, Cardinals, Royals, and Brewers. Tigers, Blue Jays, Indians, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati (kind off odd ball, but geographically close)
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    Add two franchises and have one or two divisions in each league. No need to go crazy shuffling teams around...move one NL Central team to the AL and place one expansion franchise in each league. Eliminate interleague play and institute the DH in the NL.
    fuck the DL, and no expansion please and thanks
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    pjl44 wrote:
    Add two franchises and have one or two divisions in each league. No need to go crazy shuffling teams around...move one NL Central team to the AL and place one expansion franchise in each league. Eliminate interleague play and institute the DH in the NL.

Agree with all of this except for the dh. I like how the two leagues are different.

East and west in each league. Eliminate the central divisions so those crap teams aren't guaranteed a playoff spot
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    While we're at it, can we do away with off days in baseball? Completely unnecessary.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    The DH isn't going anywhere. The NL will have it eventually but no way the AL has the pitcher batting, never going to happen. Certain teams in the AL would never let that happen and have a lot of power in baseball.
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The DH isn't going anywhere. The NL will have it eventually but no way the AL has the pitcher batting, never going to happen. Certain teams in the AL would never let that happen and have a lot of power in baseball.

Sadly I agree... the players association would never go along with getting rid of the DH. What a stupid rule that is to begin with.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Sadly I agree... the players association would never go along with getting rid of the DH. What a stupid rule that is to begin with.

Yeah, the players association is a much better point than teams. No shot with players like Arod getting paid what he is getting paid to be a DH in a couple years.

I don't dislike the DH as much as most, especially with what running the bases did to Wang a couple years back. I just look at it like pitchers are paid to pitch, not hit, why risk injury with having them bat.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, the players association is a much better point than teams. No shot with players like Arod getting paid what he is getting paid to be a DH in a couple years.

I don't dislike the DH as much as most, especially with what running the bases did to Wang a couple years back. I just look at it like pitchers are paid to pitch, not hit, why risk injury with having them bat.

and short stops are paid to field.....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I just think pitchers should play both sides... Why I like it the most though is for the strategy part of it. I like that managers have to take more into account when switching pitchers.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    The 81 wrote:
    and short stops are paid to field.....

To an extent. Pitchers are the most important players on any team and could care less about hitting at this point with the money involved with pitching. Why risk a teams season to have a player come to the plate and take a couple terrible hacks a game?
    I just think pitchers should play both sides... Why I like it the most though is for the strategy part of it. I like that managers have to take more into account when switching pitchers.

I hear you on the strategy and yeah, an NL managers job is much more difficult but I just don't think it's worth the risk. Pitchers are too important.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,577
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I hear you on the strategy and yeah, an NL managers job is much more difficult but I just don't think it's worth the risk. Pitchers are too important.

...you're that scared of a pitcher getting hurt?

you must love how the nfl is moving towards 2 hand touch on quarterbacks. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    The DH is great. This ain't 1916 anymore. Pitching became a specialty role a long time ago; they throw harder and with a much wider array of pitches. There aren't three man rotations starting 50 games per year. They're not throwing 400 innings. Fielding your position and pitching are two entirely different roles. The game evolves and the DH has been great for baseball. I look forward to the NL eventually picking it up.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    While we're at it, can we do away with off days in baseball? Completely unnecessary.

:lol::lol::lol:

I thought there was some talk recently about a realignment, getting rid of the divisions, I know I read something about it
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    pjl44 wrote:
    The DH is great. This ain't 1916 anymore. Pitching became a specialty role a long time ago; they throw harder and with a much wider array of pitches. There aren't three man rotations starting 50 games per year. They're not throwing 400 innings. Fielding your position and pitching are two entirely different roles. The game evolves and the DH has been great for baseball. I look forward to the NL eventually picking it up.

A few of those points would work better in a no dh argument.

Do pitchers throw harder or more pitches than they used to? I definitely disagree with harder.

What's has it done for baseball beside allow players that can't hack it in the field a career?

I like the setup now with it being different in the 2 leagues, but that doesn't seem fair for AL teams come WS or interleague play.

Why don't they focus on trying to get more pitchers to be better hitters? Alot of them are fine hitters at the lower levels.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Completely different situations.

And yeah, there is absolutely no reason for Wang to essentially end his career running the bases when having the pitcher bat brings almost nothing to the game aside from some strategy and thinking.
    DewieCox wrote:
    [Why don't they focus on trying to get more pitchers to be better hitters? Alot of them are fine hitters at the lower levels.

Because some pitchers are getting paid $150 million over the contract to be pitchers. If they concentrated on hitting they wouldn't be half the pitcher they are and wouldn't make as much money.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Completely different situations.

And yeah, there is absolutely no reason for Wang to essentially end his career running the bases when having the pitcher bat brings almost nothing to the game aside from some strategy and thinking.

well they're completely different sports but the comparison is a good one as a quarterback is as or even more important to his team than a pitcher is to his (qb plays every game, every offensive snap vs every 5 days).

to hang your argument on one injury 4 years ago is kind of weak. pitchers hit every single day in the nl and somehow avoid injury on a regular basis.
    www.myspace.com
    well they're completely different sports but the comparison is a good one as a quarterback is as or even more important to his team than a pitcher is to his (qb plays every game, every offensive snap vs every 5 days).

to hang your argument on one injury 4 years ago is kind of weak. pitchers hit every single day in the nl and somehow avoid injury on a regular basis.

It's not though, you can't really compare the two sports and the goal of defense in football is to bring the player to the ground and there are so many other variables in football.

But at this point it's just dumb. No pitcher cares about hitting and like I said, it brings nothing to the game aside from a little bit of strategy. They get paid their millions to pitch, I just don't see a need for them to go up to the plate a few times a game and take some terrible hacks.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    [Why don't they focus on trying to get more pitchers to be better hitters? Alot of them are fine hitters at the lower levels.

Because some pitchers are getting paid $150 million over the contract to be pitchers. If they concentrated on hitting they wouldn't be half the pitcher they are and wouldn't make as much money.

That's true, but most pitchers aren't on that level and I'm not saying "they're fine pitchers, now time to work on hitting" nor do I think they should be AllStar level hitters.

To me it seems like there's a very limited amount of time pitchers can actually work on their craft. They have 6 days off a week, so I'd think they could squeeze in some extra time in the cage working on their swing.

There's a pretty good proportion that just looks like they couldn't care less.
    DewieCox wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

That's true, but most pitchers aren't on that level and I'm not saying "they're fine pitchers, now time to work on hitting" nor do I think they should be AllStar level hitters.

To me it seems like there's a very limited amount of time pitchers can actually work on their craft. They have 6 days off a week, so I'd think they could squeeze in some extra time in the cage working on their swing.

There's a pretty good proportion that just looks like they couldn't care less.

And that's pretty much my point. They see themselves getting paid to pitch and nothing is going to change that, they don't care about hitting so why have them hit when there is an alternative.

It's kind of a pointless arguement because both leagues will have the DH at some point and the AL will never have the pitcher bat.

Off to NYC, I am sure this will be continued later on.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

It's not though, you can't really compare the two sports and the goal of defense in football is to bring the player to the ground and there are so many other variables in football.

But at this point it's just dumb. No pitcher cares about hitting and like I said, it brings nothing to the game aside from a little bit of strategy. They get paid their millions to pitch, I just don't see a need for them to go up to the plate a few times a game and take some terrible hacks.

to each his own. like i said, that is part of the game. yes they get paid to pitch, but hitting is part of the game! it was a part of the al game for a hundred years before they deformed it. it's been a part of the nl game since the beginning too. we seem to like it over here.

and i'd argue there's a bit more than a "little bit" of strategy at play. pinch hitting for halladay last night completely changed the outcome of that game for the phils. whoever would have thought charlie manual would out-manage tony lafussa? :lol: ....out-manage, that is a term that is not even used in the american league. :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    which pitcher won his game the other day with a late inning home run? only runs of the game...
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:
    which pitcher won his game the other day with a late inning home run? only runs of the game...

hudson? :think:
    www.myspace.com
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,388
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I hear you bring up Wang all the time. Look, if a professional athlete can't run the damn bases without getting hurt then that's his fucking problem. People run bases in beer-league softball. Come on dude. It's not like he got plunked and broke his arm.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I hear you bring up Wang all the time. Look, if a professional athlete can't run the damn bases without getting hurt then that's his fucking problem. People run bases in beer-league softball. Come on dude. It's not like he got plunked and broke his arm.

It's just an example. It was a freak injury that I feel could have been avoided. I just don't see the need for it at this point. I personally don't care how the NL does it, quite frankly it's probably better for the Yanks since the NL doesn't have a DH on their roster for the World Series. The DH is just not going anywhere, love it or hate it, it's here to stay.
    The 81 wrote:

hudson? :think:

that soudns about right.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    maybe they should put the batting cage fence on the mound during the game...i mean, how many times does a pitcher have to get plunked before a career is cut short
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg