Options

More poster bullsh*t at MSG II

2»

Comments

• Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    Pinstrps wrote:
    They sold posters around 5pm outside the arena in Tampa and it went very very smoothly. They did sell posters inside too once the doors opened. I think if they just sold them inside then it would be more of a madhouse. Small hallways with thousands of people running and pushing...all over a poster?
    I am not sure but I thought the way they sold the posters on this tour was going very well up until NY.....maybe it was just the animals forgetting how to act once the ropes dropped?

Once again a completely ignorant and unfounded opinion. Congratulations.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,537
    unfortunately, i TOTALLY called the madness that was the MSG II poster sale after seeing how many people were shut out for the MSG I poster due to the early sale, but NOT to this degree (i.e. wristband for the right to purchase a wristband - BULLSHIT!)

regardless, compressing the single-file line that the poster addicts (myself included) were in pre-4:30 was NOT cool. had we maintained a single-file things would have worked out a LOT smoother, wristband-pre-wristband et al. i suspect MSG security didn't want the line to spill over onto street level and around the venue but still,...such is life when in the age of messageboards and limited supply which, in turn, make us all aware of the need to get there early for the chance to purchase a poster.

i suppose not much can be done when ONLY 250 posters were sold at each merch table, for a TOTAL of 500! :)

p.s. we were fortunate to both (my brother and i) each get MSG I + MSG II posters. a tip to desperate poster hounds: when you come up and ask me if i'd like to sell the poster for $200 and i say "NO" don't then turn around and tell me that i have 2 and it's NOT fair when it's quite obvious ANOTHER person is holding the other poster ;)
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    firecrotch23firecrotch23 Posts: 586
    this was actually the easiest poster i have ever gotten and i kind of stumbled into it. i was walking by the garden at about 4 and saw everyone getting in line to get wristbands, i got one after about 10 mins and went to get some dinner. came back at abou 5:30 and saw the same big crowd. i walked up, got let in and walked up to get a bracelet at about 6pm with no problems at all. the best part about it is that i wasnt even trying to get one, kind of right place right time i guess
    Small my table, seats just 3, its not crowded, its just lucky me
  • Options
    sky08sky08 Posts: 43
    The Director of Merchandising at MSG, Brian Holt just received the following email from me. (FYI, here's the address: brian.holt@thegarden.com). Hopefully they will consider making some changes ...

Dear Brian,

This is to request that the Garden consider revising the way posters are sold. The bracelet system is a good one, but the operation should be moved inside. Having attended both the 6/24 and 6/25 Pearl Jam shows, I was unable to get a bracelet for either one.

If the Garden chooses to make posters/bracelets available to anyone who wants them, regardless of whether they have tickets or not, then MSG should ensure that there are enough posters available inside for ticket holders. If there are not, then the posters should only be sold inside. Further, it was disappointing to see some MSG employees outside the Garden before the show holding their own rolled up posters before fans were even permitted to get them.

Most importantly, the crowd situation in the mall was dangerous. It caused unnecessary pushing, and set up a generally unpleasant atmosphere before what should have been a fun event. Please find a way to address this matter for the future. Thank you for your consideration.
  • Options
    MrStyles420MrStyles420 Posts: 272
    if you order a ticket through tenclub you have an option to add that to your tenclub ticket order.

see that is a brilliant idea, that way all the 10c members could just pick up their bracelet with their tickets.
    '06- Irving Plaza (What a way to see my first PJ concert), Albany, Hartford, Camden I & II, East Rutherford I & II, Pittsburgh

'07- THE VIC!!!, Lollapalooza (Chicago)

'08- Virginia Beach, Camden I & II, Washington D.C., MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II,
    EV NY I & II, Newark, DC I & II
  • Options
    try being there since 330, and they kept moving the gates wider and wider and the people from the back rushed to the front on the other side, so as a result i was around people who got there at 430-5....i still got a poster but me and this girl and her husband were looking out for each other, we held each others hands to make sure we would all get through

maddness
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    thebettermanthebetterman Posts: 657
    try being there since 330, and they kept moving the gates wider and wider and the people from the back rushed to the front on the other side, so as a result i was around people who got there at 430-5....i still got a poster but me and this girl and her husband were looking out for each other, we held each others hands to make sure we would all get through

maddness

I must have been right near you... we need pictures of us in our profiles or something.

I got there around the same time with my fiance. I think all of us early birds got posters yesterday.

ps. I don't know if you wrote it yourself or not, but very cool seeing your name on the big board at the show.
    -one thing to remember, always have a good time, all the time
  • Options
    thebettermanthebetterman Posts: 657
    The way they do it now is the only way to allow the entire crowd access to purchase the entire supply of posters. Its not fool proof, but its the best they can do, location wise. There is not one good spot to sell posters inside MSG, there are too many floors. It would be stupid to have 20-30 wristbands at every merch booth. It would also be unfair, as you're only allowed to enter through one gate, so once your gate's merch booths have sold out their wristband supply, you are out of luck, even though a merch booth three floors up might not have sold a single one yet.

That being said, the operation that took place yesterday was awful, night one was much more orderly and peaceful. Line everyone up close to the booth, then have the merch stand call up individuals from the line, no crowding the booth and pushing in front.
    -one thing to remember, always have a good time, all the time
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    Msg Poster Debacle

In case you werent there to share in the fun- heres how the msg night 2 posters worked.

We showed up @ 4:30 - 1 hour before gates opened. Sat in a huge line with about 500 other fans.

5:00- they hand out wristbands- not to get the posters but to differentiate between the people who waited 1 hour before gates open. You would assume they had an orderly way of doing this- you would be wrong. Everyone pushed and shoved to get the stupid bracelets.

5:30- They let people 50 at a time into the doors to go to the booths. Again- Madness ensues and the friends made throughout the hour become enemies- obstacles that stand in the way between you and a stupid poster. My friend was with me and couldnt get over how rediculous it was. People getting pushed/shoved.......

5:45- We get to the stand and people are cutting everywhere and jockeying for position. Lots of elbows and crying about being next in line.

5:50- The poster gates outside basically crash and a rush of people slam the merchant booths. I finally get to the stand with my buddy to get the 2nd wristband which allows me to get the coveted poster. I cant get out of line because everyone is busy pushing forward because bands are low. As I push my way out- 2 guys (people i was bullshitting and laughing with in line) freak out and push me back and ask me if i want to start something.

About 6:00 - Stand 1 sold out and a huge rush moves to stand 2 which sells out shortly after.

Rediculous- Mean/Violent/Whiny babies.

Im embarrassed to be involved in the poster craze anymore- People could have been hurt- a woman about 5'1 was yelling help as a fellow fan pushed her aside to get his wristband.
    This would have been cake compared to the Bonnaroo Pit line :)

Anyone that went to Roo knows what I'm talking about
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    The way they do it now is the only way to allow the entire crowd access to purchase the entire supply of posters. Its not fool proof, but its the best they can do, location wise. There is not one good spot to sell posters inside MSG, there are too many floors. It would be stupid to have 20-30 wristbands at every merch booth. It would also be unfair, as you're only allowed to enter through one gate, so once your gate's merch booths have sold out their wristband supply, you are out of luck, even though a merch booth three floors up might not have sold a single one yet.

That being said, the operation that took place yesterday was awful, night one was much more orderly and peaceful. Line everyone up close to the booth, then have the merch stand call up individuals from the line, no crowding the booth and pushing in front.
    like I said..as amazing as it was handled the nite b4 it was the complete opposite last nite..if it aint broke..DONT FIX IT!!!!
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • Options
    Bird888Bird888 Posts: 99
    of the 4 shows I went to (VB, DC and Camden I and II), all sales were inside the venue. We figured out early on that the majority of people rushed the first Merch stand they see once inside. we just kept walking and usually ended up at a stand with only 1-2 people in line. In DC we went to the top level and were the first people in line at the Merch stand, whereas the stand right inside the front door was a mob scene.

sounds like handling the posters outside of MSG caused a majority of the problems.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
    slide in sideways, BBQ sandwich in one hand, cold beer in the other,
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "Woo Hoo what a
    ride" ! Unknown

• Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    same thing happened at both camden (esp 1) and DC shows... There was this one big guy at camden who was yelling at the people scanning tickets to hurry up because they wanted to get a poster.. Ridiculous really. This douchebag attempted to almost knock over my girl than run no sprinted towards the merch stand and in the end got his amazing poster but man if he has that much to live for god. Simple answer to this - print double the amount of posters for next tour... its that simple.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    Getting upset over Jamily Posters is fucking stupid.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 782
    fanch75 wrote:
    Getting upset over Jamily Posters is fucking stupid.

Ain't no tellin when I'm down for a jack move
    Here's a murder rap to keep yo dancin
    with a crime record like Charles Manson
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    Zoso wrote:
    Simple answer to this - print double the amount of posters for next tour... its that simple.
    the artists shouldnt have to mass produce and minimize their art to consumer garbage just because our fan base is incapable of being civil to one another... i know your way makes sense and id be all for it... but its somewhat of a matter of artistic integrity for the Ames bros. and BK im sure... if they wanted their posters to be used as wallpaper they wouldve went into a consumer packaging / advertising
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Red BurritoRed Burrito Posts: 476
    Personally I go Pearl Jam shows for the music. I know that in my circle of friends that have followed PJ from the beginning could care less about posters and shirts anymore. Maybe it's my age but I have not worn a Pearl Jam shirt in ages and would never hang posters in my house. The music is all I need...
    the sorrow grows bigger, when the sorrow's denied
  • Options
    sky08sky08 Posts: 43
    This is the reply from the MSG merchandise director, who seems to have done the best he could (I left off from this post the list of other MSG people to whom he cc'd my email and his reply). So perhaps it's up to the band ... (But I still know I saw MSG staffers with posters.)

Let me start by saying thank you, for taking the time to make your
    concerns known to us here at the Garden. I have forwarded your email to
    our guest relations department, so that they too can be aware of your
    concerns.

Unfortunately concert merchandise is not owned by the Garden and is
    provided to us by the band or the bands merchandising group on a
    consignment basis. Likewise we are obligated contractually to adhere to
    the wishes of the group with regard to how certain pieces of merchandise
    are to be sold, which was the case with the poster. The bands
    merchandising group only brought 466 posters for each night, and
    mandated that they be sold via the wristband system.

I am in agreement with you that the wristband system is quite difficult
    to deal with, and I made my concerns known to the group. However they
    insisted that the poster be sold in this fashion due to some concerns
    they had with the possibility of the product ending up on Ebay.

With regard to where the posters were sold, again a decision the was
    made directly by the groups merchandiser. As they were adamant about
    using the wristband system, and that the poster only be given out at the
    end of the event, The Mall area was the only option for distribution as
    it is the only point in the arena that everyone would have to walk by on
    the way out of the building. Moving the posters inside would have only
    caused confusion, and possibly more problems with regard to
    distribution.

Lastly, I can personally guarantee that no one on the MSG Staff got a
    Poster before the event. In fact only 3 MSG Staff in total were allowed
    to purchase the poster as they had to check with me before they could
    make the purchase, and they were given there posters after the last
    guest had been helped at the end of the event.

I can appreciate your irritation and frustration at this situation. In
    an effort to curb future occurrences of similar instances, I will speak
    to security, and guest services to hopefully come up with a better plan
    for these type of merchandise sales. Unfortunately in most of these
    cases we are at the mercy of the group, as we can not dictate what
    quantities to bring or ultimately how to sell those quantities.

My thanks again to you for expressing your concern to me on this matter.

Best
    Brian
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    sgossard3 wrote:
    the artists shouldnt have to mass produce and minimize their art to consumer garbage just because our fan base is incapable of being civil to one another... i know your way makes sense and id be all for it... but its somewhat of a matter of artistic integrity for the Ames bros. and BK im sure... if they wanted their posters to be used as wallpaper they wouldve went into a consumer packaging / advertising

well I'm not sure what they can do than... maybe just make poster sales available online after the shows or something.. I understand it would dimiish the value and integrity of the artwork but something different has to be done because in my opinion the tag system didn't work at all.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    i love how people rush to the first stand as I casually stroll past it to the next stand and am one of the first 10 people in the line to buy the poster.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    sky08 wrote:
    With regard to where the posters were sold, again a decision the was
    made directly by the groups merchandiser. As they were adamant about
    using the wristband system, and that the poster only be given out at the
    end of the event, The Mall area was the only option for distribution as
    it is the only point in the arena that everyone would have to walk by on
    the way out of the building. Moving the posters inside would have only
    caused confusion, and possibly more problems with regard to
    distribution.
    umm... i understand his logic that everyone leaves out this way... but how about selling the WRISTBANDS at the indoor merch stands and then having the posters themselves picked up on the way out... sounds like its not his fault but this is definitely the smart way to do it IMO

as far as his guarentee that only 3 of his employees bought posters... well i guess the key word there is "bought"... he must really trust his employees to not think theyre capable of bending the rules to make a quick $300 on ebay

im sure both MSG and 10C wanted this to go smoother... there was probably just some communication problems between exactly how 10C merch wanted things set up and how MSG interpretted that...

• Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    Msg Poster Debacle

In case you werent there to share in the fun- heres how the msg night 2 posters worked.

We showed up @ 4:30 - 1 hour before gates opened. Sat in a huge line with about 500 other fans.

5:00- they hand out wristbands- not to get the posters but to differentiate between the people who waited 1 hour before gates open. You would assume they had an orderly way of doing this- you would be wrong. Everyone pushed and shoved to get the stupid bracelets.

5:30- They let people 50 at a time into the doors to go to the booths. Again- Madness ensues and the friends made throughout the hour become enemies- obstacles that stand in the way between you and a stupid poster. My friend was with me and couldnt get over how rediculous it was. People getting pushed/shoved.......

5:45- We get to the stand and people are cutting everywhere and jockeying for position. Lots of elbows and crying about being next in line.

5:50- The poster gates outside basically crash and a rush of people slam the merchant booths. I finally get to the stand with my buddy to get the 2nd wristband which allows me to get the coveted poster. I cant get out of line because everyone is busy pushing forward because bands are low. As I push my way out- 2 guys (people i was bullshitting and laughing with in line) freak out and push me back and ask me if i want to start something.

About 6:00 - Stand 1 sold out and a huge rush moves to stand 2 which sells out shortly after.

Rediculous- Mean/Violent/Whiny babies.

Im embarrassed to be involved in the poster craze anymore- People could have been hurt- a woman about 5'1 was yelling help as a fellow fan pushed her aside to get his wristband.

I was in that line since 3:23pm, and easily got one after all you said. They were letting people in 50 at a time to keep ppl from getting hurt. It was a pain in the ass compared to Tuesday, but whatever.
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    isnt is funny that a shithole like Camden can outdo MSG as far as poster sales- with the smoothest poster transaction to date ?

I am ashamed to be from NYC when MSG pulls shit like this and 2003.

:rolleyes:

sorry for all the poster peeps that only tried in jest to get one of these Ames Ents.'
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,316
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    isnt is funny that a shithole like Camden can outdo MSG as far as poster sales- with the smoothest poster transaction to date ? I am ashamed to be from NYC when MSG pulls shit like this and 2003.
    :rolleyes:
    Don't be ashamed.You're not responsible for James Dolan
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
  • Options
    whitepantswhitepants Posts: 723
    See, I love NYC and I love seeing PJ in NYC (saw them twice - MSG '97 & Jones Beach '00), but the shit described in this thread just about the posters make me glad that I was not able to attend these shows. The feeding frenzy about posters is unbelievable, but I believe that when you toss in the factor that it's NEW YORK CITY MSG, the need for these posters heightens tenfold.

It's pathetic and funny, but rabid jamily fans will always be so.
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • Options
    piombapiomba Posts: 103
    LukinFan wrote:
    This would have been cake compared to the Bonnaroo Pit line :)

Anyone that went to Roo knows what I'm talking about

word!
  • Options
    October22 wrote:
    haha, so you're glad you weren't able to see the shows because it was tough to get a poster?

bullshit.

i didn't see anything described in this thread. you know why? because i showed up at 8:30, got my tickets, went to my seat and had an awesome night.

don't act like it was better to NOT have gone to the show at all just because getting posters was a nightmare. that has nothing to do with the show and is a stupid comment written just to make yourself feel better about missing a great night.
    no need to rub it in :rolleyes:

• Options
    MagnitudeMagnitude Posts: 392
    Yeah, I won't complain but I missed out on the sale yesterday.... actually got stiffed... but anyway. Would anyone want to trade a night two MSG poster of theirs for my MSG ONE? PLease PM me to work out details. I will be at every PJ show (with the possible exception of Hartford) so trades can be done in person or by mail. LMK, I know some of you have an extra for a trade opportunity. I also have a Camden Night One and Night Two Klausen that I'd be willing to trade
    POP POP!
  • Options
    I must have been right near you... we need pictures of us in our profiles or something.

I got there around the same time with my fiance. I think all of us early birds got posters yesterday.

ps. I don't know if you wrote it yourself or not, but very cool seeing your name on the big board at the show.

yes i did write it myself, haha thanks
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2