Options

More poster bullsh*t at MSG II

sky08sky08 Posts: 43
edited June 2008 in The Porch
So once again the bracelets were sold out, but at like 6:45 p.m. I saw two MSG employees at the side entrance (the one on 33rd, with the table, for employees, etc.) with a fat roll of 4 or 5 posters. Not cool. Seriously they need to move the poster/bracelet operation indoors, or require the presentation of a ticket to get one.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Msg Poster Debacle

In case you werent there to share in the fun- heres how the msg night 2 posters worked.

We showed up @ 4:30 - 1 hour before gates opened. Sat in a huge line with about 500 other fans.

5:00- they hand out wristbands- not to get the posters but to differentiate between the people who waited 1 hour before gates open. You would assume they had an orderly way of doing this- you would be wrong. Everyone pushed and shoved to get the stupid bracelets.

5:30- They let people 50 at a time into the doors to go to the booths. Again- Madness ensues and the friends made throughout the hour become enemies- obstacles that stand in the way between you and a stupid poster. My friend was with me and couldnt get over how rediculous it was. People getting pushed/shoved.......

5:45- We get to the stand and people are cutting everywhere and jockeying for position. Lots of elbows and crying about being next in line.

5:50- The poster gates outside basically crash and a rush of people slam the merchant booths. I finally get to the stand with my buddy to get the 2nd wristband which allows me to get the coveted poster. I cant get out of line because everyone is busy pushing forward because bands are low. As I push my way out- 2 guys (people i was bullshitting and laughing with in line) freak out and push me back and ask me if i want to start something.

About 6:00 - Stand 1 sold out and a huge rush moves to stand 2 which sells out shortly after.

Rediculous- Mean/Violent/Whiny babies.

Im embarrassed to be involved in the poster craze anymore- People could have been hurt- a woman about 5'1 was yelling help as a fellow fan pushed her aside to get his wristband.
  • Options
    orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    ya see, this is why i dont bother with posters anymore. i'm there to rock, not to buy decorations and get frustrated.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    MrStyles420MrStyles420 Posts: 272
    all that bullshit and meanwhile they had a ton of posters left over after the show
    '06- Irving Plaza (What a way to see my first PJ concert), Albany, Hartford, Camden I & II, East Rutherford I & II, Pittsburgh

'07- THE VIC!!!, Lollapalooza (Chicago)

'08- Virginia Beach, Camden I & II, Washington D.C., MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II,
    EV NY I & II, Newark, DC I & II
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    its gotten to the point were id like for them to indefinitely stop doing tour posters... maybe people will realize how childish theyve been when they can see how much fun shows can be without worrying about this bullshit... and this is coming from a HUGE poster fan (only 2 of which i have bought at the actual show... both of which were easy because: chicago 1 '06 (ugliest) and vic (towards front of line))

im sure 10C would appreciate not dealing with the hassle and shit talk... and Ames would appreciate working for bands with fans that actually appreciate good work for more than just profit

this problem is obviously BIGGER than how it went down at MSG
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    yeah, this is why i don't bother with posters at the show, and hope theys ell them on the site eventually. Funny thing though, tonight. It's a few minutes after 8, and I nonchalantly went up to one of the merch booths, and asked if he had any posters, knowing it was a 0.00001% chance. he said he just sold his last poster a few minutes ago.
  • Options
    October22 wrote:
    no they didn't. those were the reserved posters people were picking up with their bracelets.

no i stayed until they closed the entire venue. I had a bracelet so i got one for myself after the show. My friend who was behind me on the line did not get a bracelet. At both camden 1 and Virginia beach they were selling "sold out" posters after the bracelet ones had been picked up because there are more posters then bracelets. we were the last people in the arena and they kicked us out and closed down the booths, at this point they had well over 50 posters left that they refused to sell us
    '06- Irving Plaza (What a way to see my first PJ concert), Albany, Hartford, Camden I & II, East Rutherford I & II, Pittsburgh

'08- Virginia Beach, Camden I & II, Washington D.C., MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II,
  • Options
    yea like at camden 2 they put night one extras on sale even though i was told it was sold out the night before. i guess these will go to a poster sale online

• Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    yea like at camden 2 they put night one extras on sale even though i was told it was sold out the night before. i guess these will go to a poster sale online
    wishful thinking... unless by "poster sale online" you mean ebay... just based on past shadiness those will be going to crooked merch vendors :(
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    that was disgusting...
    why the FUCK are HOMEYS off the street who arent even going to the show, not to mention dont know shit about PJ...having wristbands b4 the fans even got em! I walked around and b4 the fans were given them the scalpers were splitting them up between themselves..and THEN the fans got theirs...bullshit

next MSG shows can we just sell the posters inside instead??

as easy and as simple as it was the night b4 it became the exact opposite tonite...horrible
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,081
    sorry to hear about this fiasco, a guy i know that works as a vendor in the lobby told me on the train that there were exactly 478 posters available tonight.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    Last night was funny. There were people having a shit fit about the stupid merch. line cuz people didn't know where to go. So my best friend & I cut through to get to the TICKET line & some asswipe is all "Hey, you think you wanna move to the back of the line." (Of course I was just like "No" & returned the look of death I received, lol, & kept going,) didn't feel like arguing over nonsense. This was some tall guy & I am a 5' 3" woman. Absolutely no manners. Not like I stood in front of him either, I was cutting THROUGH to get somewhere. Some other guy managed to slam into me on his quest for the almighty poster too...pretty humorus, but more pathetic.
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • Options
    sorry to hear about this fiasco, a guy i know that works as a vendor in the lobby told me on the train that there were exactly 478 posters available tonight.
    it could be cause they were gone alot quicker tonite...
    dude..I didnt even care to get a poster...but I waited with my crew in line by Cosbys there, but after like 45 minutes I said fuck this shit, went to see if the cancellation tix line was moving..go around the front and see scalpers, msg employees, and msg employees handing bands to the scalpers and all the cronies splitting the bands so I rush back and see that were just now getting ours....real nice. Needless to say I didnt wind up with one..oh well :rolleyes:
    Thats why I dont even bother with that poster shit no more, and esp at msg..we all knew the posters were gonna be sold outside the venue and this shit was gonna happen
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    All this is NOT the fans' fault by any means. Fans will be fans. Pushing and shoving and all that nonsense is always gonna happen over anything.

It's the vendors who are to blame for all this bullshit. It was mentioned that staff members were having posters snuck out to them and such. I saw that as well. Plus they don't let anyone have the stacks of extras they have after the show. I wonder where they go?? :rolleyes:

In addition, they were sold where any moron could walk in and buy one, then go home and sell it on eBay for $100+. Meanwhile the real fans, the ones who killed themselves to actually get tickets to the show, don't get a fair chance to get a poster. They should've been sold inside the arena AFTER the doors opened,just like at every other show. What is with this 5:30 business?? That's seriously fucked up!! Doors don't open until 6:30 for Chrissake!!!

From all the stuff I've heard so far about this tour so far, it would seem that quite a lot of cheapskate fuckers cashed in on the fun. Tickets, posters, other merchandise.. a lot of really serious bullshit went down this tour, and I'm really, genuinely, fucking pissed off about it. :mad:
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,081
    stickboy wrote:
    it could be cause they were gone alot quicker tonite...
    dude..I didnt even care to get a poster...but I waited with my crew in line by Cosbys there, but after like 45 minutes I said fuck this shit, went to see if the cancellation tix line was moving..go around the front and see scalpers, msg employees, and msg employees handing bands to the scalpers and all the cronies splitting the bands so I rush back and see that were just now getting ours....real nice. Needless to say I didnt wind up with one..oh well :rolleyes:
    Thats why I dont even bother with that poster shit no more, and esp at msg..we all knew the posters were gonna be sold outside the venue and this shit was gonna happen

I don't bother with any merchandise at big venues. i'd rather get my shirt in a smaller place like camden, it's very easy to get it done in a few minutes.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    MattyJoe wrote:
    All this is NOT the fans' fault by any means. Fans will be fans. Pushing and shoving and all that nonsense is always gonna happen over anything.

It's the vendors who are to blame for all this bullshit. It was mentioned that staff members were having posters snuck out to them and such. I saw that as well. Plus they don't let anyone have the stacks of extras they have after the show. I wonder where they go?? :rolleyes:

In addition, they were sold where any moron could walk in and buy one, then go home and sell it on eBay for $100+. Meanwhile the real fans, the ones who killed themselves to actually get tickets to the show, don't get a fair chance to get a poster. They should've been sold inside the arena AFTER the doors opened,just like at every other show. What is with this 5:30 business?? That's seriously fucked up!! Doors don't open until 6:30 for Chrissake!!!

From all the stuff I've heard so far about this tour so far, it would seem that quite a lot of cheapskate fuckers cashed in on the fun. Tickets, posters, other merchandise.. a lot of really serious bullshit went down this tour, and I'm really, genuinely, fucking pissed off about it. :mad:
    thank you ;) I was spewing that the whole time after I got shut out, and again not even for me but for friends who actually do only want just one for the memory, or just like the poster.
    unreal
  • Options
    thesavageguythesavageguy Seattle, WA Posts: 39
    sky08 wrote:
    So once again the bracelets were sold out, but at like 6:45 p.m. I saw two MSG employees at the side entrance (the one on 33rd, with the table, for employees, etc.) with a fat roll of 4 or 5 posters. Not cool. Seriously they need to move the poster/bracelet operation indoors, or require the presentation of a ticket to get one.
    I dont really consider someone with a couple posters as having a 'fat roll'. Now, those with 20+? Yeah, thats messed up.

No matter how many anyone purchased, there were still some available after the show. Thus I'm led to believe everyone who wanted one got one.
  • Options
    I don't bother with any merchandise at big venues. i'd rather get my shirt in a smaller place like camden, it's very easy to get it done in a few minutes.
    yea its gotta be the whole ny thing and lack of patience, cause pesonally I just cant do it man lol
    the past 2 nights it felt like I was in the subway during rush hour trying to squeeze in that train door just to get a friggin poster
    pff no way I'll pass
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    It was an absolute nightmare.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    arakiasarakias Posts: 281
    Thus I'm led to believe everyone who wanted one got one.

No some people might have forgot to pick theirs up, they might have undercounted wristbands or other things. I wanted one, dealt with the whole fiasco and ended up staying till after everyone who could claimed their poster trying to get one for myself but they wouldnt sell.

One terrible woman and her guy went to the line nearly before they closed with 4 bracelets torn off and in her hand. So I asked her for one and she practically sneered. At least they only gave her one in the end.

But the whole thing sorta makes me sick even though I was part of it. Its just a piece of paper and I was jostled by so many people and spent a total of 7.5 hours at MSG instead of the 3 I needed to just for Pearl Jam. Oh well.
  • Options
    zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    one solution could be

as sad as it would be to see poster sales go at show venues, since this is a cool part of the whole nite out - why dont the sales simply get restricted to 10c online only - you'd have to be a member, and they could enforce the one per person rule.

???
    impatience is a gift ........
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,740
    yeah, this is why i don't bother with posters at the show, and hope theys ell them on the site eventually.

Same here. It'd be nice if they sold them like the boots and made enough to temper the crazy demand.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    Been around for a long time but I just don't get the poster obsession. I mean, it is cool if that is your thing, but the nonsense I witnessed yesterday was insane outside of MSG last night. I got off the train and saw all these different lines and thought it was for 10C tix. Was glad I wasn't apart of that mess.

Has the poster thing always been like this???
  • Options
    vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    it was a mess. people shoving and knocking each other over for it. I was in the group of 5-600 waiting. It was madness with the bracelet (green)- there was no need because the MSG rep said everyone will get one. It depended on where you were in the crowd whether you got a poster or not. I was front middle- and got one just before the crowd pushed and overwhelmed their way past the 50 per person security dude. It was all hell after that.

This was my first and last time trying to get these!
  • Options
    I got there at 4:45 about 300 people ahead of me. They gave the 1st wristband and then had to for another 45 minutes. But there was nothing stopping people to hang out on the side once they got a wristband to blend in when they let people up to buy a poster. There was no order at all. Once they start letting a group thru there was pushing and just jockeying for position.

I lucked out and got one by going to stand B on the left but my brother was was 2 people behind me went to stand A and got shutout there and just missed the cut on stand B also. They need to make 5,000 posters a night and devalue them or if you order a ticket through tenclub you have an option to add that to your tenclub ticket order.

If they continue to sell them this way I doubt I will be trying to get one especially at a venue like MSG.
    1998- MSG 1
    2003- MSG 1 & 2
    2006- Irving Plaza, Albany, NJ 1 & 2
    2008- MSG 1 & 2
    2008- EV NYC 2
    2010- Hartford
    2016- MSG 2
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    I hate to be a dick, but this should not be a big deal to anyone that is a member of 10c as it should be relatively easy to get one through the 10c sale
  • Options
    Having purchased posters for DC and Columbia this tour, I am going to guess that MSG was the anomally as far as posters. I had no trouble in Columbia and though it was competitive in DC this year, it was civil. Apparently the staff at MSG were shady in 2003, which leads me to believe they are a major source of the problem again this year (Note: in 98 I don't remember having any trouble at MSG with buying my poster).

Pearl Jam has a rabid fan base (obviously!) and when you throw in even the slightest bit of shadiness at a market like NYC there are gonna be problems. I assume 10C is aware of these issues and will make a couple hundred available on their site (much like they did in 03).

Just wondering, do they still serve passed champagne on the floor at MSG before shows? I thought was the coolest thing.
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Options
    PinstrpsPinstrps Posts: 109
    I think the only reason we have this poster BS is because people buy them then go home and put them on ebay for 200 bucks or so. And of course idiots actually spend that much or more for a dumb poster! If people would stop paying so much for these things then we would not have riots trying to get them. I get posters of my shows but I have never been in the middle of what sounds like a free for all in NY. People need to chill out....but that need to get that poster to turn a profit drives some people into complete jerks.
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    Pinstrps wrote:
    I think the only reason we have this poster BS is because people buy them then go home and put them on ebay for 200 bucks or so. And of course idiots actually spend that much or more for a dumb poster! If people would stop paying so much for these things then we would not have riots trying to get them. I get posters of my shows but I have never been in the middle of what sounds like a free for all in NY. People need to chill out....but that need to get that poster to turn a profit drives some people into complete jerks.

If no one was selling them it'd still be crazy as shit there! Stop blaming the minority who sell the thing for the majority of us who just want the damn thing! That's really easy to blame faceless "bad" people because they sell it. They waited in line, the paid for it, and they're selling it. Who cares? The real problem is the way it was handled either by Pearl Jam or MSG. Pearl Jam needs to have a better system for their poster distribution, plain and simple. Their name's on the poster, they are responsible. Yesterday was an absolute cluster-fuck and could have become dangerous.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    PinstrpsPinstrps Posts: 109
    They sold posters around 5pm outside the arena in Tampa and it went very very smoothly. They did sell posters inside too once the doors opened. I think if they just sold them inside then it would be more of a madhouse. Small hallways with thousands of people running and pushing...all over a poster?
    I am not sure but I thought the way they sold the posters on this tour was going very well up until NY.....maybe it was just the animals forgetting how to act once the ropes dropped?
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    I dont really consider someone with a couple posters as having a 'fat roll'. Now, those with 20+? Yeah, thats messed up.

No matter how many anyone purchased, there were still some available after the show. Thus I'm led to believe everyone who wanted one got one.
    Hmm... this thread seems to strongly suggest otherwise
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you