For those of you who exercise regularly.....

acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Are you like me in the sense that you sometimes need to inner-argue with yourself to get your lazy ass to workout?
Its funny sometimes.
Or you say (fuck it) and eat McDonalds then get mad about it and work out real hard? lol
Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
Sweep the Leg Johnny.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    Are you like me in the sense that you sometimes need to inner-argue with yourself to get your lazy ass to workout?

Or you say (fuck it) and eat McDonalds then get mad about it and work out real hard? lol
    yes (almost every time), and sometimes. :lol:
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Its funny sometimes.

Who presents the better argument?
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,412
    when it's nice outside, it's easy to go for a run. but when these crazy-ass 100 degree temperatures start.....that's a whole other story.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    Its funny sometimes.

Who presents the better argument?
    HA!
    I end up pushing real hard, even if its a half ass workout at least I did something.
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
    mfc2006 wrote:
    when it's nice outside, it's easy to go for a run. but when these crazy-ass 100 degree temperatures start.....that's a whole other story.
    Thats when I do it early in the AM.
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I exercise almost every day and rarely eat crappy food.

That said, my problem isn't getting up off my ass and say going for a run. My problem is my inner conversation telling me to stop while running as opposed to positive encouragement. :lol:
  • JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    When I get the feeling to exercise I lay down until the feeling goes away. Just kidding, I sometimes have to force myself but I know when i'm done i'll feel great.
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    oops, sorry this thread isn't for me...
    Im too out of shape to exercise.
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    oops, sorry this thread isn't for me...

+1

This isn't where i parked my car........
    mca47 wrote:
    I exercise almost every day and rarely eat crappy food.

That said, my problem isn't getting up off my ass and say going for a run. My problem is my inner conversation telling me to stop while running as opposed to positive encouragement. :lol:

YES! I try to run at least two miles a day and lift every other with a boxing workout. And I hate running, so while doing it I always wanna find a reason to stop hahahahahaha. I sometimes say out loud "keep going you pu**Y! Move your fat ass!" even though I am not fat lol.
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
    Jukee wrote:
    When I get the feeling to exercise I lay down until the feeling goes away. Just kidding, I sometimes have to force myself but I know when i'm done i'll feel great.
    :D
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Cool Face RyanCool Face Ryan Posts: 1,254
    I run every day, and workout every day. I go running (at least 4 miles) outside as long as its nice outside, including those ridiculous 100 degree days, cuz heat doesnt really bother me, and treadmill in the winter. I'm kind of a fitness freak, so I never have to will myself to workout. I always have the energy.

And my eating habits are NOT very good, but hey, I'm still young.
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
  • Suzi78Suzi78 Posts: 362
    It works both ways for me. I have the same inner conversation almost every day, talking myself into going and procrastinating...Not sure why I even bother because I know I'll end up going to the gym anyway. I also have a problem talking myself into NOT going when I know that I've been over-training. I know it would do my body good if I took a few days off sometimes, but then I won't feel good mentally..hmmm... :?
    How I choose to feel is how I am
  • he still standshe still stands Posts: 2,835
    Suzi78 wrote:
    It works both ways for me. I have the same inner conversation almost every day, talking myself into going and procrastinating...Not sure why I even bother because I know I'll end up going to the gym anyway. I also have a problem talking myself into NOT going when I know that I've been over-training. I know it would do my body good if I took a few days off sometimes, but then I won't feel good mentally..hmmm... :?

i have the same problem... my lower back and knees could use a few days off but I feel incredibly guilty if I do that... so I lift and run through the pain. Haven't missed a day (other than Sundays) since December!

I find that "smoking" a bit before my 5 mile runs makes it MUCH more enjoyable. :D
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
    Suzi78 wrote:

i have the same problem... my lower back and knees could use a few days off but I feel incredibly guilty if I do that... so I lift and run through the pain. Haven't missed a day (other than Sundays) since December!

I find that "smoking" a bit before my 5 mile runs makes it MUCH more enjoyable. :D

I have always worked out and played sports my whole life and never stretched before hand ever. I also never had serious injuries......but now.....at 36 I am feeling it in my knees. I play squash half the year and between that and running I feel it baby, Ouch.
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
    Suzi78 wrote:
    Love love love it when a woman takes care of her body and exercises. I have mad respect for that. Serious turn on.
    It bothers me when a woman is overweight, yet does nothing about it. What do you expect! Put some effort into it and see what happens I always say.
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
    I do the exact same thing...I've been having lower back, buttock and hamstring pain for a few months now, and yet I keep running more hill than ever, which makes it much worse... :roll: I know I should be doing more stretching and yoga, but I find it so incredibly boring...
    I'm glad you've found a way to make your running more enjoyable ;) not my thing though. Listening to PJ throughout my run or whatever workout I'm doing works perfectly fine for me :D
    Suzi78 wrote:

I do the exact same thing...I've been having lower back, buttock and hamstring pain for a few months now, and yet I keep running more hill than ever, which makes it much worse... :roll: I know I should be doing more stretching and yoga, but I find it so incredibly boring...
    I'm glad you've found a way to make your running more enjoyable ;) not my thing though. Listening to PJ throughout my run or whatever workout I'm doing works perfectly fine for me :D
    Hmm..why did I post that twice... :?
    Ok, enough with this for now...I'm going for a run :)
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    I find I can convince myself by thinking about how happy I'll be that I got in to work early enough for a really great parking space, a nice run along the Charles River, and of course, the benefit of how much better I'll feel trying on bathing suits this year.

I've never once regretted going for a run, but I hear you _ it's a bitch to think about getting up before 6 when the bed is sooooooooooooo comfy...
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,968
    I think the big thing is finding something you really enjoy. There's no internal struggle for me to get on my bike because I really love it. I also enjoy lifting weights and how I feel during and after. I've been running the last few weeks to get ready for a race, and I definately see myself having to talk myself into that.
  • people that don't exercise regularly also have this dilemma.
  • Flutter GirlFlutter Girl Posts: 548
    I walk all the time..but it's completely random. I'll be going out to the car to get my phone or whatever I left out there, and instead take a right turn and keep walking...for 3 or 4 miles. It's a release for anxiety for me..But I am about to sign up for this yoga class that is supposed to be real intense, and they keep the room at 105 degrees or thereabouts..Now that is a different story. My friends will prolly have to drag me with them for that one.. :|
  • PKTrekGirlPKTrekGirl Posts: 747
    I think everyone who works out regularly has moments where they are less motivated.

I am a runner...and I LOVE to run. Especially when it's cold out - crisp clean air, bundling up in sweats - it's invigorating.

But summer in Georgia? BLEH! I hate running in the summer down here. Even though I love to run. The mental image I have of running is being invigorated by the cold...not being beat down and subjugated by 98 degree temps with humidity so high you feel like you are living/running in a steam room...only with bugs.

I hate summer in GA. I really do. Especially for working out. And it's much harder to get motivated in the summer as a result. I WANT to go running when it's cool - it's something I enjoy and look forward to. But I dread it in summer.
  • he still standshe still stands Posts: 2,835
    I'd rather it be 100 degrees when I run! I love running without my shirt, showing off the glory muscles :lol: and sweating out about 15 pounds of water.

Just make sure you're hydrated. I usually go after work and all afternoon I drink water... probably about 1/2 gallon.

Then take a COLD shower... it feels amazing. (did I mention I'm usually baked when I run?)

Then eat a huge meal and go to sleep about 9pm. That's my routine!!! :D

(gawsh I sound like Matthew Mcconaughey [sp])
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    No, but its because my work IS exercising - I teach dance-fitness aerobic classes at a small fitness center that I own. So even if I feel like hell, I have to get up and go teach class because I have customers waiting. So I don't have much sympathy for lame excuses (too hot, too cold, I'm tired,...) because I've taught with: tendinitis, flu, colds, allergies, nausea, no sleep, rotten weather.... just get out there and move. Find something you like, because if you don't really like it it is hard to stay with it.

Some people find it is helpful to have an exercise friend where you go out together, so there's a little incentive knowing that the other person is waiting for you.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    It used to be a real inner argument for me to drag my ass out of 5am to work out...but now it has become such a habit and I really notice how much better and wide awake after doing it, that it's not as difficult anymore. 5 minutes in and I'm good.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    My inner self says - I have to workout everyday - at least something - even if I go for a walk -

I go "crazy" if I don't work out - ;)
    ********************************************************************************************* image
    I walk all the time..but it's completely random. I'll be going out to the car to get my phone or whatever I left out there, and instead take a right turn and keep walking...for 3 or 4 miles. It's a release for anxiety for me..But I am about to sign up for this yoga class that is supposed to be real intense, and they keep the room at 105 degrees or thereabouts..Now that is a different story. My friends will prolly have to drag me with them for that one.. :|
    HAHAHA WHAT?!! You go outside to your car then take a right turn and walk for miles??? Who are you Forrest Gump?! HAhaha This is hysterical! :lol:
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
    mikalina wrote:
    My inner self says - I have to workout everyday - at least something - even if I go for a walk -

I go "crazy" if I don't work out - ;)
    Same here. Normally I run 5 days a week and lift every other. This morning I was able to lift but didnt run. NOW all day I am mad bc I need to find time to do it after work. Weird.
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.