Is there a plumber in the house???

SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,464
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Hot water heater issues....

Anyone here a plumber? Or know anything about hot water heaters?
Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    does your pilot light keep going out?
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    you probably need a new one if you don't have hot water...dude will come out....drain out the 50 gallons of water in the street, and install a new one.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    what's the prob?

not a plumber, but i've dabbled in plumbing...that's sounds wrong and dirty :? :lol:
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    this may sound really stupid, but have you simply tried pressing the re-set button just inside the panel on the unit?
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    exactly what issues are you having?
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Whats the problem.....

My pilot wouldnt stay lit....5 dollar fix with a new sensor
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,464
    Went downstairs this morning and had water leaking from the pipe that is attached to the "pressure relief valve"...Water wasnt "pouring out" so to say, but I could tell it wasnt right. I had the washing machine, dishwasher, and shower all going at the same time. Anyway, I released water from the "relief valve" and filled up about 3 buckets of water. At first the water was orange, so there was definitely some sediment issues. After the second bucket was filled, the 3rd bucket I filled was just nice clean hot water. I shut the relief valve, and placed the bucket under that same drain pipe. I no longer have water leaking, but I also realize the hot water tank isnt filled, because I just drained the fucker. An hour or so has gone by, it is still not leaking. But I have turned on the washing machine again, along with the dishwasher, to see what the hell happens. I have NEVER had a problem with hot water in this house, and I have never had a problem with the hot water tank leaking.

I am just curious to as why that relief valve was leaking this morning? I have also just read that you should turn on that relief valve once a year, to make sure all pipes are working properly and there is no blockage of any kind.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    $800 for new one
    Ok..... so other than the on/off switch, and the pilot light....

You guys cant really help me???

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

Should have mentioned that I am kind of handy when it comes to this kind of shit....Im just not a professional....hehehehehehehehehe

But thanks...

hehehehehehehehehehe
    from my understanding, relief valves are supposed to leak if there is too much pressure in the tank...however, if it constantly leaking then it might need to be replaced which i don't believe to be that big of a deal
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    call hookers..they can do all the work you need.. 8-)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    Ok..... so other than the on/off switch, and the pilot light....

You guys cant really help me???

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

Should have mentioned that I am kind of handy when it comes to this kind of shit....Im just not a professional....hehehehehehehehehe

But thanks...

hehehehehehehehehehe

well, the water heater at the house began to leak a little bit, called in the plumber to take a look, it was shot, had to replace the whole thing.
    norm wrote:
    from my understanding, relief valves are supposed to leak if there is too much pressure in the tank...however, if it constantly leaking then it might need to be replaced which i don't believe to be that big of a deal
    Im thinking, again I am just guessing here. That when I first drained the fucker, I had a bunch of sediment coming out. Maybe that was the problem? Blocked pipes, causing the leak? Makes sense? Would the blocked pipes cause too much pressure in the tank itself?

What do ya think norm?
    Tank is 5 years old....
    norm wrote:
    Im thinking, again I am just guessing here. That when I first drained the fucker, I had a bunch of sediment coming out. Maybe that was the problem? Blocked pipes, causing the leak? Makes sense? Would the blocked pipes cause too much pressure in the tank itself?

What do ya think norm?

very possible...they should be drained about once a year for this very reason...keep an eye on it and see if the leak stops

and the best way to drain is to hook up a hose to the tank and drain it completely
    norm wrote:
    norm wrote:

What do ya think norm?

very possible...they should be drained about once a year for this very reason...keep an eye on it and see if the leak stops

and the best way to drain is to hook up a hose to the tank and drain it completely
    Yeah...
    Im hoping that this is all it was.
    Im gonna see what happens the next hour, with everything being used. So far so good though.
    fyi if you or anyone needs to replace their hot water tanks, i'd suggest getting a tankless water heater...save $$$ and you get unlimited hot water :mrgreen:

fyi part 2 - hot water tanks are dangerous http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUkjXGfCLIM :shock: :mrgreen:
  • Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    Tank is 5 years old....

I might have missed this .

is it Gas or electric ?
    Jokertt wrote:
    Tank is 5 years old....

I might have missed this .

is it Gas or electric ?
    gas
    norm wrote:
    fyi if you or anyone needs to replace their hot water tanks, i'd suggest getting a tankless water heater...save $$$ and you get unlimited hot water :mrgreen:

i've done a little research on these, and it seems the jury is hung on these. i was considering it as well until digging up on them a bit...when mine goes, i'll be staying with an old school tank model
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:
    norm wrote:

i've done a little research on these, and it seems the jury is hung on these. i was considering it as well until digging up on them a bit...when mine goes, i'll be staying with an old school tank model

i've had one for 6 years now and i love it...not a problem
    norm wrote:

what brand do you have?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Tankless water heater is going to cost me $800-$1200 without installation....right??
    Tankless water heater is going to cost me $800-$1200 without installation....right??

if memory serves, that's the ball park. seems like they might also use a bigger gas pipe and exaust pipe.

seems like the lowes/sears/hd's of world are charging 300-350 for a normal water heater install. not sure what a plumber would run if you called direct. i would guess it could be done for a couple of hundred. normally, i would do that myself, but my furnance/water heater closet is way to cramped for me to fuck with. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:

if memory serves, that's the ball park. seems like they might also use a bigger gas pipe and exaust pipe.

seems like the lowes/sears/hd's of world are charging 300-350 for a normal water heater install. not sure what a plumber would run if you called direct. i would guess it could be done for a couple of hundred. normally, i would do that myself, but my furnance/water heater closet is way to cramped for me to fuck with. :lol:

Yeah...
    $350 Sears install
    $300-$500 for whatever the fuck water heater I pick out.....

But im hoping I dont have to replace....
    Cuz the fucker isnt leaking now....And thats all that matters....Well until I check again tomorrow morning...hehehehehehe
    they hose you on the install...one gas line and two water lines. wtf? really?

my problem is the gas inlet is on the left side as you look in at it, 3 inches from the furnance. whoever did the original install should be slapped.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:
    norm wrote:

what brand do you have?

bosch i believe...don't remember how much it was to install because it was installed along with other plumbing issues but the long term savings you get not having to constantly heat water will pay for the install costs
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    The 81 wrote:

my friend's BF works for a plumbing/appliance company, he said tankless is the way to go...if you have the money...usually you have to retrofit the lines (gas/electric) so it can handle teh higher load capacity that they demand.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    norm wrote:
    bosch i believe...don't remember how much it was to install because it was installed along with other plumbing issues but the long term savings you get not having to constantly heat water will pay for the install costs

:lol: i think that was the brand that was having the issues i was reading about. glad you aren't having problems.

i like the concept of them....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:
    they hose you on the install...one gas line and two water lines. wtf? really?

my problem is the gas inlet is on the left side as you look in at it, 3 inches from the furnance. whoever did the original install should be slapped.

I used to install dishwashers, micro-hoods, install refridgerators, run the water lines for the icemakers, run simple gas piping for new stoves, run electric lines, blah blah blah....So I am handy.

I used to always get a good laugh at how the guy who installed the shit 10-20 years before me, BUTCHERED the install...I was always scratching my head saying..."What the fuck was he thinking"?????