Options

Anyone from NYC? Advice needed...

Comments

• Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    Well about Times Square, even though it's very touristy, if you haven't been there DEFINITELY GO THERE! It's still an amazing place despite the tourists. You don't have to spend hours there just walk through it and take in its splendor. I live about an hour and a half from NYC and my entire family comes from there (many still live there) so I've been there hundreds of times. Times Square is still awesome to see even though it's not the "real" New York as some would say.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    MattyJoe wrote:
    Well about Times Square, even though it's very touristy, if you haven't been there DEFINITELY GO THERE! It's still an amazing place despite the tourists. You don't have to spend hours there just walk through it and take in its splendor.
    I actually agree with this.
    It is a spectacle, just a cleaner, kinder, g-rated spectacle.

Its the people traffic that keeps me away from 57-32nd st between 5th and 8th aves. whenever possible.
  • Options
    I really want to see the Hello Deli. :D
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    To do:

Rose Planetarium at the Museum of Natural History - one of the best star machines in the world. And they do 3D things that I don't understand but are remarkable. Best enjoyed in "enhanced" mode. ;)

Circle Line boat trip around Manhattan on a nice day. Great views of the the whole city and who doesn't like boat rides?

To eat:

Lobster - Francisco's Centro Vasco on 23rd Steet. #1 for lobster in NYC by Zagats and not as expensive as you might think. Great atmosphere with giant claws all over.

Mexican - Panchitos on McDougal between Bleeker and W. 3rd Street (down from the falafel place). Great food, reasonable prices and a fun place to hang out.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,178
    Try John's Pizza on Bleecker Street (downtown in the West Village). Best New York Pizza, real brick ovens. No slices so bring a friend or two, you have to buy a whole pie.

Mamas on 106th/amsterdam is the best pizza ever...
  • Options
    SuzieMSuzieM Posts: 113
    Definitely pick up a copy of Time Out NY. For more food advice, you can check out chowhound.com

My recommendations:
    Central Park
    Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge
    Bronx Zoo (say hi to Sasha the tiger during one of the tiger enrichment sessions)
    Rockwood (for really good live music!)
    Chelsea Market
    Walk along the Hudson on the west-side
    Top of the Rock
    Circle line cruise around Manhattan

For food:
    I second Sakagura and Omen. They aren't "trendy" places to be seen but they are totally precious. If you want something more "sceny", try Nobu or Morimoto (I prefer Nobu)
    Brunch at 5 Ninth (ask to sit in the garden)
    Kittichai in the Thompson Hotel for upscale sceny Thai food
    Don't bother with Indian or Chinese food, you get much better stuff in London, hands down!
    Shake Shack at Madison Square Park
    Grand Central (find some literature on it first, though)

Bars:
    230 Fifth Avenue (huge-ass roof, with amazing views!)
    Beer Garden in Astoria (never personally been but heard it's kick-ass!)
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone for your suggestions so far - much appreciated.

Sounds like I've got a busy week in NYC to look forward to. :)
    "If there's a sound you play that doesn't fit today,
    why not just play the b'stard anyway?"
    The Wildhearts
  • Options
    inglorious wrote:
    Thanks to everyone for your suggestions so far - much appreciated.

Sounds like I've got a busy week in NYC to look forward to. :)

Just go there knowing you won't see or do it all in one trip.

All the more reason to come back. Just like I need to get back to the UK again.

Have fun!

BTW, if someone hasn't recommended it yet - do the double decker bus tour thingy when you first get there. Do the circuit once and then start hopping on and off at points of interest.

Great way to get your bearings on a first trip.
  • Options
    natureboy46natureboy46 Posts: 165
    LukinforPJ wrote:
    Theres a place in NYC called Harlem. Its in the 100's Check it out. Real nice place

Hey, 1981 just called - it wants that joke back.

The best way to to the Brooklyn Bridge is to take the subway into Brooklyn and then walk back to Manhattan.
    In the land of the little kings
    Profit is the only thing
    And everywhere the little kings
    Are getting away with murder
    - Paul Kelly

www.troywass.com
  • Options
    The Lower East Side and East Village have been under represented here and that area, while not as gritty as years gone by, is a great area for tons of bars, food and bands.

Momofuko Noodle Bar on First Ave (between 10th and 11th Streets) and Momofuko Ssam Bar on 2nd Ave (corner of 13th) are both great. You have Paul's on 2nd Ave (between 7th and 8th) for a great burger and after a few drink, hit up San Loco (http://www.sanloco.com for locations) for great drunk-food tacos. And Katz's Deli...the classic NYC deli!! (205 E Houston).

You have to hit a NYC deli!!
    Enjoy!!
    Pearl Jam
    Houston, 9/5/92, Nacogdoches,11/20/93, Austin, 9/16/95, Dallas, 7/5/98, NYC MSG, 7/8/03, Letterman 10C fan show, 5/4/06, Irving plaza, 5/5/06, Camden 6/1/06, NYC MSG, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
    Mansfield, 6/28/08, Austin @ ACL 10/4/09, Newark 5/18/10, MSG 5/21/10, Austin @ ACL 2012

Eddie Vedder
    NYC United Palace Theatre, 8/4/08, 8/5/08, Washington DC, 8/16/08, NYC Beacon Theatre 6/21/2011
  • Options
    The best way to to the Brooklyn Bridge is to take the subway into Brooklyn and then walk back to Manhattan.

Or take the Lexington Ave. line (4-5-6) to Brooklyn Bridge/City Hall if you don't want to walk the whole bridge. But natureboy's idea gives you a better experience, I think.
  • Options
    ingloriousinglorious Posts: 27
    Well, here's an update as the day draws near...!

All the helpful advice above has been included in a detailed plan that I have for my visit to NYC. I've checked websites for all the recommendations, and all of them looked pretty cool - I intend to visit as many of them as I can. :-)

There's two little things I'd appreciate any further advice on:

- we're planning a visit to Coney Island. Is there anywhere within an easy 1 hour bus/metro/train ride that's really nice/relaxed, and where I can meet some friendly non-New Yorkers??

- as an English bloke, I've never fired a gun and was considering a quick trip to a rifle range just for the hell of it (perhaps taking up West Side Pistol Range's "50 rounds for $50" offer). From a practical POV (as opposed to a anti-gun POV!), amI wasting my money??

Hope everyone's looking forward to MSG. I can't wait - it's going to be a hell of a week!
    The Wildhearts
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    Go to Sbarro and get a 'New York Slice' of Pizza... also, don't go to the Empire State Building..it's waay too touristy- if you want to get a feel as to how New Yorkers live go to Time Square- named after all the great times had there
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    ovechkin8 wrote:

stay away from time square- its a tourist trap.

If you've never been to NYC before, I'd say wander over there at night once. I remember my first trip there, stepping off the subway into that mass of humanity and neon ... it was a trip. I wouldn't hang out there, or buy anything there ... but a brisk walk through isn't going to kill you.

You might even be glad you did.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    Try John's Pizza on Bleecker Street (downtown in the West Village). Best New York Pizza, real brick ovens. No slices so bring a friend or two, you have to buy a whole pie.

Best thing I've read here yet, my FAVORITE pizza.....awesome stuff. I'll actually probably go eat there one of the days before the show.

I also agree with the person that said Corner Bistro, great burgers....be prepared to wait a bit to get seated though.

I found a really fun bar last weekend.....it's called the Fat Cat Billiards lounge. They have pool, ping-pong, shuffleboard, foosball, etc. It's downstairs in a basement, on Christopher St, right off 7th ave. I think they only serve beer and wine but it's rather inexpensive. I went there for a birthday party with about 20 people and we had an awesome time.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Options
    Regarding John's Pizza...
    chimpat wrote:
    Best thing I've read here yet, my FAVORITE pizza.....awesome stuff. I'll actually probably go eat there one of the days before the show.

I also agree with the person that said Corner Bistro, great burgers....be prepared to wait a bit to get seated though.

Yup - both of these are on my list!

But what about somewhere to visit OFF Manhatten after I've been to Coney Island? I'm spending almost a week in the city as there's so much I want to see...it'd be a shame not to make full use of my one day 'off the island'!
    The Wildhearts
  • Options
    possomistspossomists Posts: 427
    SuzieM wrote:
    Beer Garden in Astoria (never personally been but heard it's kick-ass!)

the beer garden does indeed kick ass, everyone should get there
    "you can say that we're, nocturnal, posssomists"
    -ed july 8th MSG 2004
  • Options
    inglorious wrote:
    But what about somewhere to visit OFF Manhatten after I've been to Coney Island? I'm spending almost a week in the city as there's so much I want to see...it'd be a shame not to make full use of my one day 'off the island'!

If you want to get out of the city I'd recommend taking the train up to Cold Spring for the day. It's about a 75 minute trip north of the city on Metro North along the Hudson River and the town is across from West Point. Very nice little strip of shops and restaurants along the main street and a nice park along the river.

We usually go up there in the Fall as the leaves change, but it's nice any time of year.

The train leaves from Grand Central Terminal - http://as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm
    Buy your tickets at GCT to save money (more expensive on the train).
  • Options
    I'm sorry I have to point out that John's on Bleeker is definitely NOT the best pizza in new york. It's not even in the top 10. You start with Grimaldis in DUMBO then head over to DiFara's if you want good pizza.

Also, if you want a good burger the place to go is the shake shack in madison square park. Corner Bistro stopped making great burgers years ago and only lives on through nostalgia. Danny Meyer, the guy whose company runs both Union Square Grill and shake shack make one of the best burgers in town.
    member number: 198,xxx
  • Options
    I'm sorry I have to point out that John's on Bleeker is definitely NOT the best pizza in new york. It's not even in the top 10. You start with Grimaldis in DUMBO then head over to DiFara's if you want good pizza.

Also, if you want a good burger the place to go is the shake shack in madison square park. Corner Bistro stopped making great burgers years ago and only lives on through nostalgia. Danny Meyer, the guy whose company runs both Union Square Grill and shake shack make one of the best burgers in town.

Even though I completely disagree about John's, I am in agreement about Grimaldis...great spot and a short trip from Manhattan. Be sure to grab some ice cream or a milkshake just down the street on the pier also.

I like shake shack also, but be prepared to wait between a half hour and an hour...good recommendations though.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Options
    possomists wrote:
    the beer garden does indeed kick ass, everyone should get there

I've been there a couple times, real fun place....just outside Manhattan in Astoria, Queens. About a 5 minute walk from the subway.

• Options
    Ok. for anyone that's interested (apologies if you're not), here's what I've come up with - thanks to the assistance posted here!

Main places to visit (even the 'touristy' stuff - hey, I'm a tourist sue me!):

MADISON SQUARE GARDEN - PEARL JAM!!!
    RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL - EDDIE IZZARD!
    EMPIRE STATE BUILDING
    STATUE OF LIBERTY & ELLIS ISLAND
    GROUND ZERO
    ROCKEFELLER CENTRE (TOP OF THE ROCK)
    TIMES SQUARE
    BROOKLYN BRIDGE
    CHRYSLER BUILDING
    GRAND CENTRAL TERMINAL
    MUS. OF MODERN ART (MoMA)
    CHINATOWN
    GREENWICH & EAST VILLAGES
    GUGGENHEIM MUSEUM
    DAKOTA BUILDING & STRAWBERRY FIELDS
    METROPOLITAN MUS. OF ART
    RIVERSIDE PARK
    CONEY ISLAND AMUSEMENT PARK
    ST PAUL'S CHAPEL
    BATTERY PARK
    NY PUBLIC LIBRARY
    NEW MUSEUM OF CONTEMPORARY ART
    WEST SIDE RIFLE AND PISTOL RANGE
    LITTLE ITALY
    INTERNATIONAL CENTRE OF PHOTOGRAPHY
    AMERICAN MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY
    STATEN ISLAND & FERRY (OR CIRCLE LINE)
    UNION SQUARE
    WTC TRIBUTE & TOUR

And here's the various food/drink places I've got listed (the last few recommendations posted here will also be added):

IL POSTINO
    KEENS
    BLIND TIGER
    STOUT
    SUTTON PLACE
    CORNER BISTRO
    BLT BURGER
    JOHN'S PIZZA
    SOBA-YA
    JAIYA
    FRANCISCO'S
    PANCHITO'S
    MOMOFUKU NOODLE
    MOMOFUKU SSAM
    PAUL'S PLACE
    SAN LOCO
    KATZ DELI
    EMPIRE DINER
    SOUTH STREET SEAPORT

There are also various shops and clubs not listed here that I've also got in mind (plenty of Jazz bars, thanks!).

There seems a lot to fit in...in only 7.5 days, but I've got it all planned!

This is going to be an awesome trip. Thanks once again for all your help. Maybe I'll post an update on my return. :)
    The Wildhearts
  • Options
    inglorious wrote:
    Ok. for anyone that's interested (apologies if you're not), here's what I've come up with ...

KATZ DELI

I really prefer the pastrami at Carnegie Deli, for what it's worth.
    And you're more likely to be near there (55th ST and 7th AVE)
    as you travel around Midtown.

Looks like a busy/fun trip.

Have fun!
  • Options
    nukeboot wrote:
    I really prefer the pastrami at Carnegie Deli, for what it's worth.
    And you're more likely to be near there (55th ST and 7th AVE)
    as you travel around Midtown.

Looks like a busy/fun trip.

Have fun!

Don't worry, I'll add it to the list! Thanks...I'll be coming home for a break, but I'm sure it'll be a great trip. ;)
    The Wildhearts
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    inglorious wrote:
    Ok. for anyone that's interested (apologies if you're not), here's what I've come up with - thanks to the assistance posted here!

Main places to visit (even the 'touristy' stuff - hey, I'm a tourist sue me!):

MADISON SQUARE GARDEN - PEARL JAM!!!
    RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL - EDDIE IZZARD!
    EMPIRE STATE BUILDING
    STATUE OF LIBERTY & ELLIS ISLAND
    GROUND ZERO
    ROCKEFELLER CENTRE (TOP OF THE ROCK)
    TIMES SQUARE
    BROOKLYN BRIDGE
    CHRYSLER BUILDING
    GRAND CENTRAL TERMINAL
    MUS. OF MODERN ART (MoMA)
    CHINATOWN
    GREENWICH & EAST VILLAGES
    GUGGENHEIM MUSEUM
    DAKOTA BUILDING & STRAWBERRY FIELDS
    METROPOLITAN MUS. OF ART
    RIVERSIDE PARK
    CONEY ISLAND AMUSEMENT PARK
    ST PAUL'S CHAPEL
    BATTERY PARK
    NY PUBLIC LIBRARY
    NEW MUSEUM OF CONTEMPORARY ART
    WEST SIDE RIFLE AND PISTOL RANGE
    LITTLE ITALY
    INTERNATIONAL CENTRE OF PHOTOGRAPHY
    AMERICAN MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY
    STATEN ISLAND & FERRY (OR CIRCLE LINE)
    UNION SQUARE
    WTC TRIBUTE & TOUR

And here's the various food/drink places I've got listed (the last few recommendations posted here will also be added):

IL POSTINO
    KEENS
    BLIND TIGER
    STOUT
    SUTTON PLACE
    CORNER BISTRO
    BLT BURGER
    JOHN'S PIZZA
    SOBA-YA
    JAIYA
    FRANCISCO'S
    PANCHITO'S
    MOMOFUKU NOODLE
    MOMOFUKU SSAM
    PAUL'S PLACE
    SAN LOCO
    KATZ DELI
    EMPIRE DINER
    SOUTH STREET SEAPORT

There are also various shops and clubs not listed here that I've also got in mind (plenty of Jazz bars, thanks!).

There seems a lot to fit in...in only 7.5 days, but I've got it all planned!

This is going to be an awesome trip. Thanks once again for all your help. Maybe I'll post an update on my return. :)

No list of " Things To Do / See In NYC " is complete without
    Green - Wood Cemetary.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    inglorious wrote:

KEENS-great
    SUTTON PLACE-so so
    CORNER BISTRO-pretty good
    JOHN'S PIZZA-YES
    SOBA-YA-DOUBLE YES AND THE CHEAP EATS across the street
    JAIYA-Yes but be warned service can really suck and order mild. Trust me.
    MOMOFUKU NOODLE-good, but really tough to get into-hassle
    MOMOFUKU SSAM-same
    KATZ DELI-the best pastrami in the city-tip the cutter and dont go lean
    SOUTH STREET SEAPORT-take walk around then leave
  • Options
    RITFWinCORITFWinCO Posts: 217
    I lived 5 years at 18th and Irving right south of Gramery Park. I am going to have to go with Frank (6th st and 2nd Ave). Italian but not mom-and-pop little Italy style where somebody slaps a piece of lasanga on your plate. First time I walked in, uncle Neil was playing over the speakers and everyone inside was having a ball. I waited a good 30 minutes standing room only in the tiny bar for our table while drinking some cold tasty Bironi beer. Everything is chalk board original and fresh. Hand flatten super thin seasoned flank steak over a bed of arugula. Homemade gnocchi. Venison. Walls are old brick and the room just has the chill vibe. Our waiter had dreads and tatts all over and knew everything there was to know about wine and fresh ingredients. Totally unpretentious. show up in jeans. Everyone there is super chill and you can just drink beer and wine and visit in cramped quarters have some of the best food around. Cash only. I have never sent someone there that didn't love it. You can even eat at the bar if you are solo.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Should this just be all nyc questions? I hate to start a new thread for each question.

How quick can I get from MSG to Port Authority bus station? 10-15 minutes if I go quick? I'm in shape. I figure on foot will be quicker time-wise than waiting for one of the subway lines, no?
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    NYCslackerNYCslacker Posts: 54
    It sounds like you're going to have a great trip with PJ as the extra cherry on top.

Everyone has given a ton of great recommendations. I totally endorse checking out a range of different types of places, from small neighborhood joints and hole-in-the wall ethnic places to an amazing gourmet food experience to give you the full taste of NYC.

Here are some of my current favorites:

Spotted Pig -- gastropub in the west village. I haven't had it but everyone tells me their burger is amazing. I do know that the fries are great and I love the gnudi. No reservations so be prepared to wait, especially on the weekend. If both bars are crowded, go grab a drink around the corner and come back.

http://thespottedpig.com/

Morimoto - Huge restaurant (by NY standards) in the meatpacking that has sushi and other innovative asian fusion, like the yummy tuna pizza. Usually easier to get in than downtown Nobu.

http://www.morimotorestaurant.com/

Lupa and Babbo - both are owned by "molto mario" Batali. Lupa is more casual and holds a lot of tables for walkins. Babbo is awesome but it's hard to get a reservation but they might have cancellations or you can sit at the bar. It's a high-end, gourmet restaurant with a downtown vibe -- the perfect mix.

http://www.luparestaurant.com/
    http://www.babbonyc.com/

My favorite Italian at the moment is DellAnima in the West Village. Delicious food in a sophisticated yet casual, intimate atmosphere.

http://www.dellanima.com/

Inoteca on Ludlow and Rivington is always dependable for good food and good vibe. Small plates Italian and reasonable wine list. I like it for late night.

http://www.inotecanyc.com/

Balthazar in Soho is always a classic. I'm constantly surprised how they're able to maintain year after year. I also like Raoul's in Soho as another French bistro option.

http://www.balthazarny.com
    http://raouls.com

The hot trend right now is greenmarket/local cuisine and there are a lot of good options: Perilla, Market Table, Blue Hill, BLT Market.

For seafood, my favorite is Aquagrill in soho. Nice for brunch too. And finally, Taboon is awesome. It's a greek/middle eastern in Hell's Kitchen on 10th Ave but is totally worth it, especially if you're in Times Square/Rock Center area and want to avoid the touristy Times Square joints, which you should do at all costs, and the mediocre Ninth Ave restaurants.

For reservations, opentable.com is great. It's free and easy to use. Not every restaurant uses it but a lot do and it saves a ton of time.

Sorry to overwhelm but it's so hard to narrow down. You're lucky too because of the strong pound against the dollar -- it's almost like everything is half-price. Enjoy!
  • Options
    NYCslackerNYCslacker Posts: 54
    JaneNY wrote:

How quick can I get from MSG to Port Authority bus station? 10-15 minutes if I go quick? I'm in shape. I figure on foot will be quicker time-wise than waiting for one of the subway lines, no?

It's super close. 9 blocks or about a 10-15 minute walk to get to the box office. Walking is definitely better than the subway since it's only one stop -- it's not worth the 2 bucks unless it's raining then take the subway (A/C/E downtown) and walk underground through Penn Station to reach the Garden.