Options

Anyone from NYC? Advice needed...

ingloriousinglorious Posts: 27
edited April 2008 in The Porch
Hi all,

Now I've got MSG1 tix, I've got a trip planned to NYC and was wondering if any locals would be able to help with suggestions on cool places to visit, bars to check out, places to eat, etc.

I've got guide books, but I thought I'd ask people who are likely to hang out in the kinda places I'd like to hang out in too.

Any advice greatfully received. :)
"If there's a sound you play that doesn't fit today,
why not just play the b'stard anyway?"
The Wildhearts
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ovechkin8ovechkin8 Posts: 491
    if you like electronic music even a little bit, you should check out club love on 8th and macdougal. very relaxed atmosphere, a lot of good, underground dubstep, breaks, house.....all kinds of stuff....great place to hang out. studio b in williamsburg is another place i would reccommend.

for food- if you like steak- go to keens, its on 36 and 6. il postino for good italian, thats on 49 and 1. bluewater grill in union sq for good fish.

stay away from time square- its a tourist trap.
  • Options
    ovechkin8 wrote:
    stay away from time square- its a tourist trap.

Cheers for that.

It's probably much like London (where I lived for a few years) - avoid all the places where the tourists go. That's why I was asking on here, so that I can find out if there are some hidden gems where I can meet some normal (!?) people rather than just more tourists.
    The Wildhearts
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    inglorious wrote:
    Hi all,

Now I've got MSG1 tix, I've got a trip planned to NYC and was wondering if any locals would be able to help with suggestions on cool places to visit, bars to check out, places to eat, etc.

I've got guide books, but I thought I'd ask people who are likely to hang out in the kinda places I'd like to hang out in too.

Any advice greatfully received. :)

Try these for just about everything.
    http://www.timeout.com/newyork/
    http://nymag.com/visitorsguide/
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    There are a bunch of threads on this already, so try searching for even more suggestions.

But here's some stuff I'd do.

Museums:
    Natural History
    Metropolitan Museum of Art
    MoMA

Central Park/Riverside Park. Both are beautiful in the summer.

Get dinner on the Boat Basin in the 70s on the Upper West Side.

South St. Seaport is cool.

If you like sports, you could check out a Yankee game or Mets game (or both).

If you like jazz, and want to go to a jazz club try:
    Smoke (105 st. and Broadway)
    Fat Cats
    Smalls
    55 Bar
    Kitano Jazz Lounge

Also, definitely check out that link for Time Out New York. There is tons of stuff in there.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    if wayne krantz is playing the 55 bar definitely go. i haven't been yet but my friend is religious about it and says he's amazing. whenever he comes back next i'm gonna check him out.
  • Options
    ReverbReverb Posts: 34
    Bars to drink beer & hang: Blind Tiger, Radegast Hall (williamsburg)

Bar near MSG: Stout

Bars with views or rooftop: Beekman tower, sutton place, Stone rose

Tourist stuff: MOMA, Top of the Rock, take a walk through soho

Food: bluewater mentioned above is a good call for seafood. Check out http://www.timeoutny.com or newyork.citysearch.com to search places.

Gastropubs: Spotted pig, corner bistro

Getting around: take subways - and if you get lost, just ask someone: people just love to give directions and show off their knowledge of nyc.

Stuff to avoid: Any meat sold curbside, any "club" with a cover charge/velvet rope line/dress code, Sbarro, Times Square (unless you have never seen it- worth a walk-through for the spectacle)

Just google the stuff I listed above.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    manhattanmanhattan Posts: 258
    If you want to see other bands, try Mercury Lounge, Bowery Ballroom, or Irving Plaza.

Chinatown is a fun place to walk around. It's big and confusing -- bring a map.

If you want a place to eat that's not too expensive (for NYC anyway), check out BLTBurger on 6th ave at 12th street. Nice little place with a bar.

Take a walk down the west side along the Hudson in the Tribeca neighborhood. Really pretty park and waterfront.
  • Options
    ogre1213ogre1213 Posts: 391
    if you like sushi check out yama on houston and lafayette

as far as bars i like the 52nd and 2nd ave area, village
    Some die just to live
  • Options
    I knew I'd asked at the right place - cheers guys, usefull stuff.

In a big city like NYC it'd be easy to spend a week without finding the decent places, so hopefully your advice will help me avoid that!
    The Wildhearts
  • Options
    GREAT $2 falafel sandwiches

Mamoun's Restaurant
    http://www.mamounsfalafel.com
    119 Macdougal St
    New York, NY 10012
    (212) 674-8685

edit: I think they raised the price to $2.50
    Some die just to live
  • Options
    Try John's Pizza on Bleecker Street (downtown in the West Village). Best New York Pizza, real brick ovens. No slices so bring a friend or two, you have to buy a whole pie.
    Leave your lady on the cement floor.

"You boo us, you call us pussies, and still we come back." EV NJ1 2006

2008 MSG 2
    2006 NJ 1, NJ 2
    2003 MSG 1
  • Options
    Try John's Pizza on Bleecker Street (downtown in the West Village). Best New York Pizza, real brick ovens. No slices so bring a friend or two, you have to buy a whole pie.

sounds good, i gotta check that out
    Some die just to live
  • Options
    Theres a place in NYC called Harlem. Its in the 100's Check it out. Real nice place
  • Options
    LukinforPJ wrote:
    Theres a place in NYC called Harlem. Its in the 100's Check it out. Real nice place

the truth its not so bad during daylight hours there... pretty cool to see.. try to avoid it at night.. 125th st
    Some die just to live
  • Options
    LukinforPJ wrote:

Nice try!

Yes, I'll be there looking as touristy as possible with expensive camera hanging round my neck asking if there's anywhere that serves nice tea...and cucumber sandwiches. ;)

And no, I've not met the Queen!
    The Wildhearts
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    ogre1213 wrote:
    the truth its not so bad during daylight hours there... pretty cool to see.. try to avoid it at night.. 125th st

Not even that bad at night.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    inglorious wrote:
    Nice try!

Yes, I'll be there looking as touristy as possible with expensive camera hanging round my neck asking if there's anywhere that serves nice tea...and cucumber sandwiches. ;)

And no, I've not met the Queen!

hahahah nice one

if you want japanese food spots, I know a bunch
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    if you want japanese food spots, I know a bunch

Bring it on! I love oriental food. There's a great pub in London serving some of the best Thai food I've ever tasted...so it'd be nice to compare NYC Thai food!

It's odd though - I've travelled within several European countries, and food from specific countries (Chinese, Italian, Indian) always tastes very different. Go figure.
    The Wildhearts
  • Options
    anyone who talks shit about harlem probably thinks that the mayor of nyc is david dinkins.
  • Options
    ovechkin8 wrote:
    anyone who talks shit about harlem probably thinks that the mayor of nyc is david dinkins.

I don't recall anyone 'talking shit' about Harlem. There are places that instantly provoke a response due to their reputation (as a Brit, both 'Queens' and 'Harlem' stand out as rough areas - but I'll make my own judgement in June). And whilst there may be foundation for such a reputation, it's often blown out of proportion.

There's an area in the east end of London called East Ham that's got an awful reputation. But there's a great pub where lots of heavy-metallers hang out and mix with the locals...who are all asian guys. It's quite a clash of cultures, but everyone seems to get on great. I'm neither a heavy-metaller or asian, but it's still an interesting place for a pint of ale. :)

So Harlem is definitely on the list! Anywhere in particular you'd recommend?
    The Wildhearts
  • Options
    inglorious wrote:
    So Harlem is definitely on the list! Anywhere in particular you'd recommend?

Bill Clinton's office.
  • Options
    inglorious wrote:
    Bring it on! I love oriental food. There's a great pub in London serving some of the best Thai food I've ever tasted...so it'd be nice to compare NYC Thai food!

It's odd though - I've travelled within several European countries, and food from specific countries (Chinese, Italian, Indian) always tastes very different. Go figure.

Alright, Japanese food is passion of mine so here goes

Sushi:
    High end-two favs are Sushi Yasuda (traditional) and Sushi of Gari (Nouveau)
    best "deal" for sushi IMHO Hatsuana on 48th they have a "pick ten" deal for $35.00
    Good sushi is expensive in NYC, but since youll be bringing Euros-No problem! ;)

Noodles
    Soba-ya-GREAT PLACE for casual Japanese food and drink, fairly priced.
    Ramen Setagaya or Menchanko-tai for ramen noodles and fried dumplings

Other types:
    Shabu Tastu-GREAT PLACE for japanese BBQ at your table
    Gyu Kaku-Chain BBQ restaurant, but very good
    Katsuhama- Fried pork and Shrimp "Katsu" and very good japanese curry (not like UK veggie Indian though!)
    Sakagura-sake bar and Izakaya style little plate foods.
    Omen-four course Kyoto style dinner for about $60 very authentic and delicious
    Cafe Zaiya-VERY Casual place for japanese sandwiches, beef, eel and chicken bowls and japanese pastries/sweets, snacks like curry doughnuts.

You should be able to find the locations for all of these.

There is only one thai food restaurant in the city Ive ever liked
    Jaiya Thai on 28th and third. Service can be a drag, but the food is really good and SPICY

I also like a place called Bao noodles its vietnamese.

So please bring me some branston pickle back from the UK! Its too expensive here!
    ;)
  • Options
    ovechkin8 wrote:
    Bill Clinton's office.

Give that man a cigar!
    The Wildhearts
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    So please bring me some branston pickle back from the UK! Its too expensive here!
    ;)

That's a comprehensive list - much appreciated.

Branston pickle, eh? Do you think customs would let me through with it??
    The Wildhearts
  • Options
    inglorious wrote:
    That's a comprehensive list - much appreciated.

Branston pickle, eh? Do you think customs would let me through with it??

No worries-its a passion for me and love telling others where the good spots are
    sealed-heck yes! But Id never ask you to carry that!
  • Options
    ReverbReverb Posts: 34
    Put the pickle in your trousers when going through customs, just like Derek Smalls.
  • Options
    Reverb wrote:
    Put the pickle in your trousers when going through customs, just like Derek Smalls.

Nice idea...except that branston pickle is like relish, so it'd not be much use in 'enhancing' my trouser-area! Besides, I can't imagine anyone would want to put it on a cheese sandwich after its been sat next to my groin on a 5+ hour flight. ;)
    The Wildhearts
  • Options
    inglorious wrote:
    Nice idea...except that branston pickle is like relish, so it'd not be much use in 'enhancing' my trouser-area! Besides, I can't imagine anyone would want to put it on a cheese sandwich after its been sat next to my groin on a 5+ hour flight. ;)

female, under 25? by chance?
    then.......
    :D

kidding of course
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    female, under 25? by chance?
    then.......
    :D

kidding of course

Male, 32. But hey, play your cards right...!

100% kidding! :)
    The Wildhearts
  • Options
    inglorious wrote:
    Male, 32. But hey, play your cards right...!

100% kidding! :)

as homer simpson might say

D'OH!