I Need a JOB! Anyone?

Comments

• Flutter GirlFlutter Girl Posts: 548
    Stillhere- great stuff on your site, can't wait to try the teas I ordered :D

There should be a sticky on here just for 10 clubbers to post links to their web stores..
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    Stillhere- great stuff on your site, can't wait to try the teas I ordered :D

There should be a sticky on here just for 10 clubbers to post links to their web stores..

Thanks! I just saw that :D

I hope you do too!
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Just googled Pottstown to Philly, didn't realize it was 50 miles from here. We hire lab techs, lab assistants, etc. on a regular basis, and with your nursing background, that might help you out. But we're not as close as I thought.

good luck to you.
    Just googled Pottstown to Philly, didn't realize it was 50 miles from here. We hire lab techs, lab assistants, etc. on a regular basis, and with your nursing background, that might help you out. But we're not as close as I thought.

good luck to you.

Thanks for doing that! :D

Yep...one of the problems is that we are pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

Of course I expect to travel, always have, but Philly is a bit far.

HOWEVER if the light rail they keep saying is coming back, DOES come back, that makes Philly all that much more accessible for commuting on a daily basis :)
    (problem is they've been saying that for a looonnnggg time now and it doesn't seem to be moving forward)
    peace,
    jo

"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    RKCNDY wrote:
    iamica: I've been looking at Craigslist...I can be a 'phone actress', a go-go dancer, bikini/lingere barista...so many opportunities! :lol:

:lol:
    You might want to stay out of the "adult content" section. ;)
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    iamica wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    iamica: I've been looking at Craigslist...I can be a 'phone actress', a go-go dancer, bikini/lingere barista...so many opportunities! :lol:

i dunno...she was talking of beign the body shot girl at pj20. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    iamica wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

hahhaaa i LOVE that Phone Actress!

You can have your own 900 number and all!!

Sweet! Right? :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    peace,
    jo

• The 81 wrote:
    iamica wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

i dunno...she was talking of beign the body shot girl at pj20. :lol:

I don't recall RCKCNDY saying anything about body shots... Just shots... I think you added the body part 81.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    I don't recall RCKCNDY saying anything about body shots... Just shots... I think you added the body part 81.

you missed a post someplace.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    RKCNDY wrote:
    yeah...whenever I fill out an application, I put down 'no you cannot contact my previous employer'. but you never know...
    I've always been scared to check that (even though there are a few places I have worked that I would like to!)...is putting 'no' down a bad thing? In fact, I'm turning in an app today that I would like to check 'no' for two places I have worked before..

Jo--good luck with the job search!!! Times are sucky.
    EmBleve wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    yeah...whenever I fill out an application, I put down 'no you cannot contact my previous employer'. but you never know...
    I've always been scared to check that (even though there are a few places I have worked that I would like to!)...is putting 'no' down a bad thing? In fact, I'm turning in an app today that I would like to check 'no' for two places I have worked before..

Thanks!

We all need a lot of luck finding decent jobs nowadays.

I also wonder whether putting down "do not contact" is going to be a in instant turn-off? Usually the interviewer will ask if there is any reason they should not contact a former employer, and I think that might give you an opportunity to actually explain the situation rather than having them speculate because you marked the box next to do not contact. You have to be careful though, that you don't sound as if you feel you've been persecuted..singled out..or are bitter, etc...cuz they see themselves in that same position when and if you ever leave this new employment. At least that's my take on it.
    peace,
    jo

StillHere wrote:
    EmBleve wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Thanks!

I also wonder whether putting down "do not contact" is going to be a in instant turn-off? Usually the interviewer will ask if there is any reason they should not contact a former employer, and I think that might give you an opportunity to actually explain the situation rather than having them speculate because you marked the box next to do not contact. You have to be careful though, that you don't sound as if you feel you've been persecuted..singled out..or are bitter, etc...cuz they see themselves in that same position when and if you ever leave this new employment. At least that's my take on it.
    Thanks, yes, I agree...that's sort of how I see it, too. Also, I am under the impression (probably false, but I don't know), that potential employers can only call previous employers' human resources and just verify dates of employment and whether or not one is eligible for rehire. I am not sure, but I don't think they're allowed to go into details. ???
    also...yeah, no dogging them out, for sure! Looks really bad. :D
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    It depends on the company's policy, we only verify dates of employment and job title, no salary, no reason for termination/resignation. Just dates.

But that's my company, I don't know how others operate.
    EmBleve wrote:
    StillHere wrote:
    EmBleve wrote:

Thanks!

Thanks, yes, I agree...that's sort of how I see it, too. Also, I am under the impression (probably false, but I don't know), that potential employers can only call previous employers' human resources and just verify dates of employment and whether or not one is eligible for rehire. I am not sure, but I don't think they're allowed to go into details. ???

Well..in THEORY yes they can only contact Human Resources and they will get nothing more than the date that you started work and the date that you left, and possibly your ending salary (possibly). They should not be told why or how you left. They are permitted to ask if you would re-hire the employee.

HOWEVER...having spent quite a few years in the same office as HR, I can tell you that depending on who they talk to, not everyone is familiar with those restrictions and will give out more info than they should, and believe me, some prospective employers (of course not all) will go as far as they can in asking inappropriate questions. Or maybe some prospective employers, especially if a small company, might not even be aware that they should not ask or answer beyond the guidelines. So you can never be sure, unless you are very familiar with HR at your previous employment, what information might be given out. And..I hate to say it, but its true..there are certain people who are not nice people and are spiteful, and will go out of their way to say negative things about you to a prospective new employer. I've seen it. You can be sure that I put a stop to it when I was in a position to do so...but I've seen it. Sad, isn't it?
    peace,
    jo

StillHere wrote:
    HOWEVER...having spent quite a few years in the same office as HR, I can tell you that depending on who they talk to, not everyone is familiar with those restrictions and will give out more info than they should, and believe me, some prospective employers (of course not all) will go as far as they can in asking inappropriate questions. Or maybe some prospective employers, especially if a small company, might not even be aware that they should not ask or answer beyond the guidelines. So you can never be sure, unless you are very familiar with HR at your previous employment, what information might be given out. And..I hate to say it, but its true..there are certain people who are not nice people and are spiteful, and will go out of their way to say negative things about you to a prospective new employer. I've seen it. You can be sure that I put a stop to it when I was in a position to do so...but I've seen it. Sad, isn't it?
    yes, it is sad. 99% of my previous employment has been at large hospitals, so it's really the other 1% that I'm worried about. :lol: It was only one job, and I left on good terms...it's just that I didn't much like the job, and although my work performance was adequate, it could have been better. But it was part-time, I left after 6 months, and it's not even in the field of the job I'm applying to now.. it just is somewhat concerning because this company has no HR, and they would prob speak directly to my old boss.
    It depends on the company's policy, we only verify dates of employment and job title, no salary, no reason for termination/resignation. Just dates.

But that's my company, I don't know how others operate.
    Thanks! Good to know. :)
  • Have you tried sending your resume to some temp agencies? The company I work for now is pretty small, but is on a huge hiring streak. So instead of putting out any ads or anything, they just went ahead and decided they'll pay through the temp agencies so they don't waste their time weeding through resumes. Most of the firms are like this around here, so unless you know someone in the field and you have a good name for yourself, this is just about the only way to get your foot in the door. A lot of times they can find you a temp-to-hire opportunity. It's always worth a shot.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Have you tried sending your resume to some temp agencies? The company I work for now is pretty small, but is on a huge hiring streak. So instead of putting out any ads or anything, they just went ahead and decided they'll pay through the temp agencies so they don't waste their time weeding through resumes. Most of the firms are like this around here, so unless you know someone in the field and you have a good name for yourself, this is just about the only way to get your foot in the door. A lot of times they can find you a temp-to-hire opportunity. It's always worth a shot.
    I'm working at a place that hires temp workers and if they show they are a good employee, they are usually hire full time within a few months.
    Yes,
    Temp agencies are often a great way to get your foot in the door
    peace,
    jo

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    iamica wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

these jobs are listed in the 'jobs' section! here: http://seattle.craigslist.org/search/jj ... srchType=A

all the cities listed are considered 'redneck/white trash' areas...I unfortunately live in a redneck town. :(

I will wear a bikini and sell REGULAR SHOTS at PJ20 if it gets me more in tips... :lol:

and I'm with Jo, when/if I talk to a prospective employer, and they ask me about my previous job, I will tell them, 'I was approved for medical leave, and they told me to not come back' and will leave it at that...I mean, if I was a crappy worker, why would I have been employed there for 5 years...right? :?
    ...any lawyers reading this? any recommendations on how to say something?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    iamica wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

these jobs are listed in the 'jobs' section! here: http://seattle.craigslist.org/search/jj ... srchType=A

all the cities listed are considered 'redneck/white trash' areas...I unfortunately live in a redneck town. :(

I will wear a bikini and sell REGULAR SHOTS at PJ20 if it gets me more in tips... :lol:

and I'm with Jo, when/if I talk to a prospective employer, and they ask me about my previous job, I will tell them, 'I was approved for medical leave, and they told me to not come back' and will leave it at that...I mean, if I was a crappy worker, why would I have been employed there for 5 years...right? :?
    ...any lawyers reading this? any recommendations on how to say something?

hahaaaa funny! (or not)

not only do you have to be "HOT" which I'm sure you qualify for

But see...now..you have to be an "experienced" HOT BIKINI BARISTA

so tell me...even if you're hot and you sport a mean bikini

what kind of hot bikini barista "experience" do they expect you to have ???

even crazy jobs are hard to get into :roll: :roll:

oh and remember..you MUST know the "lingo" and they will NOT tolerate any Drama for keerrriiiissttt's sake! :lol:

they sure are asking a lot in turn for minimum wage
    peace,
    jo

StillHere wrote:

yes they are...since minimum wage is $8.67/hr right now....$9/hr is basically minimum wage...but you do get tips, not sure if they tip more at bikini stands, but Mr. RK went to one by accident (it wasn't advertised as one, we pulled up and she was in a bikini)...she shouldn't have been wearing a bikini... :lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    StillHere wrote:

yes they are...since minimum wage is $8.67/hr right now....$9/hr is basically minimum wage...but you do get tips, not sure if they tip more at bikini stands, but Mr. RK went to one by accident (it wasn't advertised as one, we pulled up and she was in a bikini)...she shouldn't have been wearing a bikini... :lol:

hhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

by "accident" ???????

:lol::lol::lol:
    peace,
    jo

• iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    edited June 2011
    RKCNDY wrote:
    iamica wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Yeah, I know, just messing with you. ;) I remember looking for jobs on Craigslist a few years ago and thinking, "Isn't this so-called "office job" just a fancy way of describing a stripper?" :roll:
    Craigslist always has a ton of non-legit stuff and you have to go through a ton of ads just to find the legit stuff, but it's out there. I got the desk job I have now because I saw it on Craigslist (and yes, it is a real desk job, not a phone sex job). ;)
    Post edited by iamica on
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • RKCNDY wrote:
    StillHere wrote:

That's like a bikini bar I was in one time. Now don't get me wrong, she bought herself a great body. However...don't wear the tiny triangle bottom thong with that nice fat c-section scar she was sporting. I was there for about an hour, and that's my only memory of the place.

That's like a bikini bar I was in one time. Now don't get me wrong, she bought herself a great body. However...don't wear the tiny triangle bottom thong with that nice fat c-section scar she was sporting. I was there for about an hour, and that's my only memory of the place.

could've been a 'tummy tuck' scar too...a gal I worked with got a tummy tuck...traded in her c-section scar for a tummy tick scar.

- Christopher McCandless
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    Getting a job these days is really frustrating, I've been going through this since March of this year..when I left my hotel job to move to the next state down, which did NOT work out.. so instead I moved a state over and have had one HELL of a time, but I just got a call back, so hang in there!! I'll be praying you get something soon!!
    Getting a job these days is really frustrating, I've been going through this since March of this year..when I left my hotel job to move to the next state down, which did NOT work out.. so instead I moved a state over and have had one HELL of a time, but I just got a call back, so hang in there!! I'll be praying you get something soon!!

Thanks! Seems there are quite a few of us in this boat...

We'll keep bailing until we're floating again :D
    peace,
    jo

• Flutter GirlFlutter Girl Posts: 548
    RKCNDY wrote:
    but Mr. RK went to one by accident (it wasn't advertised as one, we pulled up and she was in a bikini)...she shouldn't have been wearing a bikini... :lol:

I see a lot of chicks in bikini's who really shouldn't be in a bikini round here..and that's just out on the street.. :?