Looking for a small dog

gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
My kids are 4 and 2 and are all hyped up about getting a dog. My wife and I have resisted since we travel a lot, but my wife has convinced me that a small dog would work. It would be "portable" and easy to travel with. Problem is, I generally don't like small dogs. I like big dogs. The bigger the better. Are there any breeds of small dogs that have the personality of a big dog, i.e. doesn't yap all of the time or act generally wimpy? I like the way Boston Terriers look, anyone know anything about them? Just curious. We have friends with smaller dogs and although some are very sweet, they're too "girly" for my taste.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• autumnautumn Posts: 191
    I am also a big dog lover, i have chocolate labs, but I think beagles are pretty cool. I tend to like dogs that are good with all kinds of people with awesome personalities. I'm not sure how small you were thinking, but beagles are small to me. Good luck and by the way I travel with labs all the time, size isn't issue except for not being able to fly with them. I won't put my dog in with the luggage, I would however buy them a seat! ;)
  • cbrunelle783cbrunelle783 Posts: 1,025
    Talk to Unlost dogs.
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    how 'small' is your wife thinking?

Many shelters will not let families adopt a 'small dog' (i.e. chihuahua, yorkie, pomeranian etc) if they have any children under the age of 10. It is more for the safety of the dog, as the small dogs are not as 'sturdy'. I worked at a vet clinic for 5 years, and when a family with small children had a small dog, the dog would usually be in for some sort of fracture due to dropping the dog, being sat on and other things.

I'm not saying that your children would be careless with the dog, the dogs themselves know the difference between children/teenagers/adults....I have a chihuahua, and while camping, some of the younger kids would try to pick her up, and she'd squirm and try to run away.

Small dogs have a big voice because they are not big themselves...Mr. RK did not like the fact that I wanted a chihuahua, but she has grown on him, and he still doesn't like small dogs...he only likes *his* small dog. :lol:

I also own a Lab...and sometimes I wish he wasn't such a hassle to take on vacation...we have only left him with a friend for ONE night in the 7 years that we've had him. PJ20 will be the second time. I like that when we get hotel rooms, and tell them I have a chihuahua and a lab...they only charge me for the lab since 'the chihuahua doesn't really count' ;)

You do have a good direction on wanting a boston terrier...terriers are more sturdy and used to 'rough' handling. Terriers also tend to be nippy (Jack Russels come to mind) I would recommend the boston (they are less nippy), a french bulldog, mini aussie, sheltie, pug, corgi, beagle (can be very vocal), shih-tzu.

Just please please please research as much as you can about several different breeds, http://www.akc.org so you can get an idea of what their temperament will be like. I believe in 'good owners make good dogs'. My chihuahua is a 'good little dog' because I was very strict about rules and training. She still barks at strangers that come up to me or the car when she's inside, but once she sees that I am ok with the person, she is ok.
    I have a shelter dog and a purebred dog, both are excellent dogs.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me...I love my pets!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • My buddy has a Boston terrier. Great dog awful gas. I hear beagles run off a lot,its in their nature to hunt down small pests. I have two boxers 75+ each. However they believe they are 15 lb lap dogs.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Thanks for the good advice. I do love Shelties and Beagles. I've known people with Beagles though that have had the same issues some of you had mentioned - bark a lot, love to get out and explore, and once they get loose, it's hard to corral them. That nose was meant to sniff around. I've know one person with a Boston Terrier and they gave me a kind of mild recommendation. Said it had anxiety issues. Don't want that. But I just love their look. Of course we could always just get a dog at the pound too. Maybe we could do both. My kids would probably pass out from the excitement.
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    Boston Terriers are good. Also, I personally love the french bulldog. They're small and adorable and seem to have a 'big dog' personality. I would love to have one! That might be a good one. Also, too, please check shelters or rescues. :D
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i had a shih tzu growing up ... lived to 18.5 ... although it looks like a showpiece kinda dog ... it actually is a very very intelligent dog ... i could see a trick on letterman's stupid pet tricks and teach it to my dog in a day ... i didn't have to walk it with a leash (and i live in the city) ... it is very manipulative tho ... if you're having family dinner ... it will know exactly who's gonna give up some of that food ... :lol:

if you keep the fur relatively short and not let it grow out so that it looks like a kleenex box - it doesn't look so fancy ...
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    How small is small? Like you, I don't like the tiny dogs.

We have a wheaten terrier, and she is the perfect size (35 lbs). Big enough to wrestle around with and play with, but travels well and doesn't bark/shed and has a TON of personality. Just search google images of wheaten terrier puppy and show your wife. They look like fluffy teddy bears when little :)

We have since gotten a 55 lb boxer, and while he is GREAT with the kids, he makes us realize how perfect our wheaten is :)
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    my suggestion... get a mixed breed and save a life from your local animal control

mixed breeds come in all sizes and faces :D

our Charlie was at animal control... due to be put down when I rescued him

sounds silly but after a dog has been to hell they really appreciate life and love ...
    they just seem to know.

Good luck and what a wonderful thing to do for your children! :clap:
  • EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    pandora wrote:
    my suggestion... get a mixed breed and save a life from your local animal control

sounds silly but after a dog has been to hell they really appreciate life and love ...
    they just seem to know.

This part especially is so true. We rescued a miniature pinscher from the pound, it was obvious he was neglected, and now he is a great dog, very loyal. A little love and attention go along way.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
    EZ1221C wrote:
    pandora wrote:

they just seem to know.

This part especially is so true. We rescued a miniature pinscher from the pound, it was obvious he was neglected, and now he is a great dog, very loyal. A little love and attention go along way.
    Oh a mini pinscher! my husband really wants a mini pinscher ... maybe someday :D
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    We've got a Border terrier, she's wonderful, I would definately recommend them.

Scruffy little dog, who thinks she's a bigger dog, loves everyone, is happy with a short walk or can carry on for miles. Here she is;

stuff181.jpg
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    I must whole heartedly recommend the shelter idea..here's why..
    1. you get to pick the size AND look of your dog ON SIGHT, without having to "look up" or search out info on any one particular breed or set type of dog.
    2. Most shelters have a " romp" room where you can take out and play with selected dogs to see how they get along with you and your family.. Alot of times too, if there's room, the shelters will allow you to walk the dog in an enclosed area of their property to see how well the dog responds to you.
    3.You can MANY MANY times, when a dog is a turn in, or return, find info on any behavioral issues with the dog, so you can decide if that's something you can or wish to deal with.
    4. you get a choice of a full grown dog or a puppy, and often the adult, already trained dogs are cheaper, to ensure they get forever homes.
    5. and this should be the sales point of the century RIGHT HERE..... you get to save a dog's life...when you buy from breeders it eliminates one more forever home from the dogs in shelters, who deserve this chance at a good loving home!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    gabers wrote:
    Thanks for the good advice. I do love Shelties and Beagles. I've known people with Beagles though that have had the same issues some of you had mentioned - bark a lot, love to get out and explore, and once they get loose, it's hard to corral them. That nose was meant to sniff around. I've know one person with a Boston Terrier and they gave me a kind of mild recommendation. Said it had anxiety issues. Don't want that. But I just love their look. Of course we could always just get a dog at the pound too. Maybe we could do both. My kids would probably pass out from the excitement.
    I had a beagle when I was a kid and got my first sheltie when I was a teenager. Since then, it's only been shelties and I currently have my 7th and 8th. They are wonderful dogs, very smart, and good with kids if they have grown up around them. However, they can have certain personality traits that are easily warped into undesirable behavior. It helps to know about the breed and how to select one. If you decide on a sheltie, PM me and I can give you some hints.

Shelties also require regular grooming, which can get pretty old. I would recommend a corgi. They are also a herding breed and lots of fun without the furry maintenance.

I would echo what others have said about adopting an adult dog, which allows you to skip puppy housebreaking, chewing stages, etc. A high percentage of dogs at shelters are purebreed. Also, if you choose a breed, there may be a rescue organization who can help you. I adopted my newest dog from the local Sheltie Rescue. Local shelters turn dogs over to those groups and then they are cared for in foster homes by volunteers. That way, the rescue organization can tell you about each dog's traits and whether they might be a good fit for you.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • I love our beagle. He is smaller, but no annoying barks and he is really great with our son and two cats.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    gabers wrote:
    My kids are 4 and 2 and are all hyped up about getting a dog. My wife and I have resisted since we travel a lot, but my wife has convinced me that a small dog would work. It would be "portable" and easy to travel with. Problem is, I generally don't like small dogs. I like big dogs. The bigger the better. Are there any breeds of small dogs that have the personality of a big dog, i.e. doesn't yap all of the time or act generally wimpy? I like the way Boston Terriers look, anyone know anything about them? Just curious. We have friends with smaller dogs and although some are very sweet, they're too "girly" for my taste.

one word:
    pugs.

i too am a big dog lover, always have been.
    for numerous reasons i wont get into, we had to get a smaller dog to appease our older, bigger dog's ego. haha. pugs think they are big dogs, think they are bad ass, are not yappy and don't act like little bitch ass little dogs at all. :P they are adorable, crazy-amazing personalities, and are simply fantastic big dogs trapped in little dog bodies. 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    EmBleve wrote:
    Boston Terriers are good. Also, I personally love the french bulldog. They're small and adorable and seem to have a 'big dog' personality. I would love to have one! That might be a good one. Also, too, please check shelters or rescues. :D

ahhhhh frenchies, my next small dog/big dog choice!
    if i can ever manage another puppy, and afford em - frenchies are crazy expensive! - a french bulldog would absolutely be my next choice. good call.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

I must whole heartedly recommend the shelter idea..here's why..
    1. you get to pick the size AND look of your dog ON SIGHT, without having to "look up" or search out info on any one particular breed or set type of dog.
    2. Most shelters have a " romp" room where you can take out and play with selected dogs to see how they get along with you and your family.. Alot of times too, if there's room, the shelters will allow you to walk the dog in an enclosed area of their property to see how well the dog responds to you.
    3.You can MANY MANY times, when a dog is a turn in, or return, find info on any behavioral issues with the dog, so you can decide if that's something you can or wish to deal with.
    4. you get a choice of a full grown dog or a puppy, and often the adult, already trained dogs are cheaper, to ensure they get forever homes.
    5. and this should be the sales point of the century RIGHT HERE..... you get to save a dog's life...when you buy from breeders it eliminates one more forever home from the dogs in shelters, who deserve this chance at a good loving home!!!!!!!!!!!
    :wave: :clap: :thumbup:
    please save a life! :D
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,053
    I adore dogs too....

and i have only one piece of advice.

Buy a labrador.

They are not small dogs as you well know, mine is huge (9 stone and almost 6 ft on his back legs)....BUT - they fit in the back of a car easily....travel wonderfully, have just the best temperament I have ever known in a dog, and are highly intelligent. But the crucial part is they are amazing around children. Ive had all sorts of dogs throughout my life, yet my current hound - a fox red Labrador is amazing. We have a 2 and a half year old, and a 4 weeks old, and he loves those kids.....he lets them play with him all day long without even a grumble....Id trust him 100%.

Ive had other dogs whom were the perfect pet, but i would have always had that worry......

I like the idea of a rescue dog of course too, its a beautiful notion, but i think when small children are involved there is nothing quite like introducing them to a puppy, and letting them grow up with it from the start. The bond they create is so special.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,679
    http://www.russellrescue.com/

Jack Russell Terriers.

I love Jack Russells. My dog makes me laugh legitimately hard about 10 times a day. He never, ever barks.

jack-russell-terrier-0014.jpg

The long-legged ones are the way to go. They seem to have better personalities.
    EmBleve wrote:

ahhhhh frenchies, my next small dog/big dog choice!
    if i can ever manage another puppy, and afford em - frenchies are crazy expensive! - a french bulldog would absolutely be my next choice. good call.
    :thumbup: yes, they are awesome. And, yes, expensive! Can't get one anytime soon myself. lol. I've seen $1500. They are so dang cute, though!
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Frenchies:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfGdK6F6_SSSoWe0cl4c0zqSeO4VSN10t5gbwt5ObMDQUYUasjNgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSqdY3Y3-9TzTYFOAvk8Z0kH_BtWzRMQj9egUpD36LrFHReP9mMAimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTD4jKFefsybhekc9Nqy790AgyS8UrD_iTItxVytNPZ9NDiDkdhVg

how could you NOT fall in love?

***I already have enough dogs...I already have enough dogs...I already have enough dogs***
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Frenchies:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfGdK6F6_SSSoWe0cl4c0zqSeO4VSN10t5gbwt5ObMDQUYUasjNgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSqdY3Y3-9TzTYFOAvk8Z0kH_BtWzRMQj9egUpD36LrFHReP9mMAimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTD4jKFefsybhekc9Nqy790AgyS8UrD_iTItxVytNPZ9NDiDkdhVg

how could you NOT fall in love?

***I already have enough dogs...I already have enough dogs...I already have enough dogs***
    :lol:
    LOVE IT!!!! omg adorable!
  • My family has a Boston Terrier.

She is an evil little thing. Hilarious, but evil. She certainly doesn't "yap" but her bark is not very ferocious.

She likes to be in laps, but doesn't like to be bothered too much.

When she was a puppy, she was very hard. We have a boxer too, and he was much easier with house breaking. But I think that is normal with most little dogs.

Every Boston Terrier I know of has an attitude. I like the sweetness of the boxer better, but she is funny.

This is when she was mid-sized.

IMG_2390-1-1.jpg
    Well, fuckers, he still stands.
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    Just wanted to chime in with all the people suggesting that you adopt from a shelter or rescue...as a shelter volunteer, I wholeheartedly agree. :thumbup:
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016