Tupperware

haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Ok, so my best friend is your cookie cutter housewife in the making (we're only 23!) and she hosted a Tupperware party... My mom and I went out of support with the intention of maybe buying 1 or 2 things we were in the market for. The few other people there were my mom's age and just seemed thrilled at every product the lady was selling... I mean, there were cool gadgets to be sure, but...

Holy shit it is EXPENSIVE. 70 dollars for 2 containers that I could find elsewhere (sorted compartments aren't exclusive to Tupperware™ products!) and the sets were like... 200.00 for maybe 7 or 8 pieces... Meanwhile my friend and everyone are just going gooey eyed for it all.

Can someone help me understand why people pay so much for tupperware products? Like the rice steamer was 70 dollars.... you could buy a rice cooker for that. And anyways I'm not into the microwave-everything routine, which a lot of the stuff was pitched as...

so weird...
i guess its just me?
live pearl jam is best pearl jam
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Well, years ago there was kind of an aura about Tupperware, it was so superior to any other kind of storage container, they had so many clever gadgets that you didn't find anywhere else, blah blah woof woof. I think it was also guaranteed for life so that if the lid to something cracked or you set it next to something hot and it melted, you could just check with your local rep and get a replacement.

But it's always been expensive, if you ask me. I've known a few people who bought lots of the more unusual things that they thought they couldn't live without, then found they had tons of Tupperware taking up space. To me, that's the biggest problem with storage containers like that. You're never using ALL of them ALL the time, so you have to find a place to keep them.

It's kind of funny to me that they still have Tupperware parties when you can probably just go online and buy it.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Uncle Rico showed that you can back your van over it and it doesn't break.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    Well one of the reasons is that they have sets and styles that have been around forever. So if you lose a pice to that classic set you can often get it replaced. Another thing is that it has a warranty for life. Also the plastics are safe and dont warp. Its expensive. But once you start changing out your junky stuff with Tupperware it makes a difference. I have friends that have changed all thier spice jars and everything to tupperware and I have to admit thier cupboards are more organized than mine. I have a few sets of the lunch bowls with lids and I have the cupcake/cake carry case. I really like the stuff I have. I also keep my eyes open for retro Tupperware at garage sales. Cause even that stuff is under warranty!
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
    genevieve wrote:
    I also keep my eyes open for retro Tupperware at garage sales. Cause even that stuff is under warranty!
    Good point. I sold some old Tupperware on ebay a few years ago and I couldn't believe what people paid for it!

And it does last forever. I have a few things that I got when I got married *cough* 33 years ago *cough* and it's still in great condition.

But I think I understand what haffajappa is saying. Some people really get carried away with it.
  • Uncle Rico showed that you can back your van over it and it doesn't break.
    Thank you for this I literally laughed for like 3 mins
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Uncle Rico showed that you can back your van over it and it doesn't break.
    She (the rep) stood on one to prove its strength and I seriously thought she was going to drive over it next... Uncle Rico definitely was the first thing to come to mind
    Well I understand it is quality stuff but really... ? They had an ice cream scoop for 35 dollars...
  • threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    the stuff fucking breeds as well, it's taking over my house. it used to just be in one draw, now it's in like 3, and cupboards. my wife rarely goes to tupperware parties so i don't know where the fuck it comes from.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I used to work at a tupperware factory over the summers between college on the production floor. It was my motivation to go back and get good grades.

They have since moved the production of their products to some third world country (like every other firm and for good reasons) so they can make the same product cheaper and still charge you an insane amount of money for it.

I got free tupperware that my mom liked a lot though while i worked there.

sorry my post has nothing to do with your story. I just saw tupperware and have not thought about it in about a decade so had to comment
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    Thank you for this I literally laughed for like 3 mins
    +1 awesome. :D
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    haffajappa wrote:
    Well I understand it is quality stuff but really... ? They had an ice cream scoop for 35 dollars...

get the fuck out of here? $35 for an ice cream scoop?

that made me laugh for 3 minutes
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    haffajappa wrote:

just hope that you don't get invited to a Pampered Chef party - now that stuff gets very expensive!

it's all about pressure selling - they have you in their home, serving food and refreshements, everyone is getting out their checkbooks, you feel obligated to get something

I use the containers that come with Chinese food and the cheap ones from the gorcery store.
    the stuff fucking breeds as well, it's taking over my house. it used to just be in one draw, now it's in like 3, and cupboards. my wife rarely goes to tupperware parties so i don't know where the fuck it comes from.
    Yeah, that's what I was trying to say in an earlier post. How much of that stuff does anyone seriously need? I got rid of most of mine on ebay years ago and was thinking about selling the rest of it. This thread is starting to convince me.

And $35 for an ice cream scoop? :wtf:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:

just hope that you don't get invited to a Pampered Chef party - now that stuff gets very expensive!

it's all about pressure selling - they have you in their home, serving food and refreshements, everyone is getting out their checkbooks, you feel obligated to get something
    Pampered Chef! Sheesh, my sister got into that stuff in a big way a few years ago and kept trying to convince me that I should buy that stuff. I didn't like any of it.

Yeah, it's peer pressure, buying something since your friend has gone to the trouble of putting on a party, etc.

There's also Partylite candles. I went to a couple of those parties that were fundraisers for an organization that I volunteered for. A lot of their stuff is kitsch but at least the candles were really good quality.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i picked up my rice cooker for like 20 from target.

tupperware is overpriced.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    81 wrote:

Not nearly as much as those damn baskets the ladies used to go nuts for...
    81 wrote:

here is their HQ's. they are down in the Columubs Ohio region.

basket-office.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:

basket-office.jpg

We are all going to hell in a Longaberger basket.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I had tupperware growing up as a kid...fugly avocado green canisters, lasted forever though. Bought some containers 10 years ago and the lady claimed 'oh they're made specifically for the microwave!' After a few uses, in the microwave, the lid warped, and it won't fit anymore. I tried to replace it, but was told,'oh that line didn't do well, it's discontinued' :evil:

I use the snapware stuff I got from costco now. (besides, if you bring Tupperware to an office party/potluck, usually it gets stolen)

Pampered Chef-their garlic press is 'Ah-May-Zing' bought one for a friend because I love it so much...and they quit buying pre-chopped garlic.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    81 wrote:

basket-office.jpg

We are all going to hell in a Longaberger basket.

oh yes, thats the devil right there.
    81 wrote:

I pick up my rice cooker from the airport 6 am tomorrow. She cooks a lot of other things too. I miss her and her cooking.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    81 wrote:

I pick up my rice cooker from the airport 6 am tomorrow. She cooks a lot of other things too. I miss her and her cooking.

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    RKCNDY wrote:
    they quit buying pre-chopped garlic.

Seems you really can get anything in America :mrgreen: ... pre-chopped garlic?? :shock:
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
    chime wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Seems you really can get anything in America :mrgreen: ... pre-chopped garlic?? :shock:

We can even get bread in slices.
    haha well we're a japanese household so the thought of nuking your rice to begin with kind of seems wrong to me!

yeah i've never heard of pre-chopped garlic :shock:
    haffajappa wrote:
    haha well we're a japanese household so the thought of nuking your rice to begin with kind of seems wrong to me!

yeah i've never heard of pre-chopped garlic :shock:

ah, that explains youe user-name. excellent!
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076

:lol::lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    chime wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

yeah...Americans are lazy...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvKx1HrnBrZVBTnbDg6kdhza3uWKfyHcLC7f03FJsHSUVzaMwvwQ
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:

Pampered Chef! Sheesh, my sister got into that stuff in a big way a few years ago and kept trying to convince me that I should buy that stuff. I didn't like any of it.
    I LOVE my pampered chef vegetable peeler. I usually pack it when we go on holidays, as I often have to peel potatoes, carrots, or cukes for the kiddies, and I just can not stand a peeler that doesn't work. They also have a really cool tool that strips corn off the cob.
    guitar59 wrote:
    I LOVE my pampered chef vegetable peeler. I usually pack it when we go on holidays, as I often have to peel potatoes, carrots, or cukes for the kiddies, and I just can not stand a peeler that doesn't work. They also have a really cool tool that strips corn off the cob.
    Well, I'll agree there's nothing like having great tools. I have a PC cake decorator that my sister got me that's pretty handy but I didn't like the other stuff she kept telling me to buy. Since I like to bake, she kept trying to convince me to buy this stoneware bundt pan so I could bake a cake in the microwave. :wtf: Just couldn't see a reason to bake a cake that way. :crazy: