Winnipeg [insert name here]

2»

Comments

• Winnipeg Threshers. Keeps the Atlanta link while making the change to a prairie theme.
    page-martin-yellow-new-holland-combine-harvester-harvesting-wheat-field-uk.jpg
    Winnipeg Starships - Like when Jefferson Airplane upgraded.
    0000294980_350.jpg
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Winnipeg Starships - Like when Jefferson Airplane upgraded.
    0000294980_350.jpg

Best idea ever. But this plan hinges on whether or not Winnipeg was built on Rock and Roll.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    If they don't go with Jets, Owls gets my vote.

Falcons could work. They're taking the team away from Atlanta so why not just grab the football team's nickname on the way out of town?

Incidentally, anyone know why they went with Jets in the first place? It was directly related to ownership's plan to sign Bobby Hull.
  • JTH wrote:
    Incidentally, anyone know why they went with Jets in the first place? It was directly related to ownership's plan to sign Bobby Hull.

The Golden Jet came to play after they were already called the Jets. I think it was a reference to the Avro Arrow, which was built in Winnipeg.
    avro%20arrow.jpg
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
  • Dissident67Dissident67 Posts: 568
    I really wish the Thrashers could have moved to Quebec City, this way next year when the Coyotes are finished in the desert they could have moved back to Winnipeg and reclaim their own Jets name.
    "Change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks"
    JTH wrote:

The Golden Jet came to play after they were already called the Jets. I think it was a reference to the Avro Arrow, which was built in Winnipeg.
    avro%20arrow.jpg
    Yes, the name came first. The signing came later. It was an act of hubris. "We're gonna sign The Golden Jet and we're so sure of this that we're calling the team the Jets." And they did.

I know naught of this Avro Arrow, but according to the repository of all human knowledge, it was designed and built in Malton, Ontario.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,823
    Manitoba Moose first popped in my head, but that was probably cuz that's the name of their AHL team I think?

How about the Winnipeg Winnie's?

winnie_cooper.jpg or pooh.jpg

Also how come Seattle never got an NHL team? They would seem like a decent choice. They have an NBA, NFL, and MLB team so why never NHL?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    Manitoba Moose first popped in my head, but that was probably cuz that's the name of their AHL team I think?

How about the Winnipeg Winnie's?

winnie_cooper.jpg or pooh.jpg

Also how come Seattle never got an NHL team? They would seem like a decent choice. They have an NBA, NFL, and MLB team so why never NHL?

If they replace Key arena, they would probably have an inside shot at the Phoenix carcass next year.
  • Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    The Winnipeg Murder.
    Just imagine the logo...
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Winnipeg Riot....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,150
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    The 81 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    I don't follow hockey... but why in the f'ing world do they put hockey teams in Atlanta, Phoenix, Florida, Dallas, etc??? I think it'd make more sense for Saskatoon to have a team then those cities... even if there are only like 200,000 people living there I think they could fill the seats there.
    Easy ... Corporate money and increased exposure of their product.

Atlanta should have had it made, but it sounds like their owners were really bad at running a hockey club.

Atlanta is a bad sports market.
    Atlanta is a bad PROFESSIONAL sports market....college football is a jealous mistress in them parts.

I hope Winnipeg goes with the Jets....love the old WHA
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Mark Chipman made it official: Winnipeg Jets.

Frankly, I don't think he wanted to name them that. I think he just buckled under the pressure of the public that came through for him and his dream.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    New logo...I like it

406c5aee.jpg
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,678
    I like it too. Many hockey fans seem to be offput by the look.

Im a fan of the retro logo and look. This is a decent tradeoff and its a lot better than a lot of the logos that surfaced in the 90's and 00's (Carolina, slug Sabres, Blue Jackets, Thrashers, Capitals, picasso Coyotes, Mighty Ducks, etc...)

this will be the look for awhile. then they will bring the old look back as a 3rd in a few years and eventually morph into that full time. It seems that is the way all these teams maximize the cash grab.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I like it too. Many hockey fans seem to be offput by the look.

Im a fan of the retro logo and look. This is a decent tradeoff and its a lot better than a lot of the logos that surfaced in the 90's and 00's (Carolina, slug Sabres, Blue Jackets, Thrashers, Capitals, picasso Coyotes, Mighty Ducks, etc...)

this will be the look for awhile. then they will bring the old look back as a 3rd in a few years and eventually morph into that full time. It seems that is the way all these teams maximize the cash grab.
    It's OK. I think you're right that it won't have any staying power. By the end of the decade, it'll look really dated.

Yes, it's better than some of the 90s/00s crap you mentioned (Buffaslug didn't debut until 2006) but that's like a tallest midget contest if ever there was one.
    JTH wrote:
    Buffaslug didn't debut until 2006.
    My point with this is that it had absolutely zero staying power -- introduced in '06; retired in '10.