Winnipeg [insert name here]

lukins.lawyerlukins.lawyer Posts: 128
edited July 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
So I was thinking to myself, from a business standpoint, naming the team the Jets makes the most sense because of the brand that exists. The "Jets" would result in a greater amount of ticket sales, increased value of tv contracts, merchandizing, and fan support. I mean, I'm a leafs fan, but hearing about the return of winnipeg has made me excited - but I for one know for sure that the excitement is a result of the return of the Jets, not some new team (like Winnipeg Northerners or Moose or something like that).

So, unless the NHL (assuming they own the naming rights to the Jets) is asking an obscene amount of compensation in exchange for assigning their rights to True North S & E, why in the world would the new owners NOT want to call their new team the Winnipeg Jets????

Thoughts?

PJ20
No need to be void,... or save up on life...
You got to spend it all.....

PJ
Toronto 2003 · Boston I, 2004 · Kitchener 2005 · London 2005 · Hamilton 2005 · Toronto 2005 · Toronto I, 2006 · Toronto II, 2006 · Mansfield I, 2008 · Mansfield II, 2008 · Philadelphia III, 2009 · Philadelphia IV, 2009 · Cleveland 2010 · *Buffalo 2010* · PJ20 ALPINE VALLEY 2011 · Toronto I, 2011 · Toronto II, 2011 · Hamilton 2011 · London (ON) 2013 · Buffalo 2013 · Toronto I, 2016 · Toronto II, 2016 · Chicago I, 2018 · Chicago II, 2018

EV
Montreal I, 2008 · Montreal II, 2008 · Albany 2009 · Philadelphia 2011 · Fort Lauderdale I, 2012 · Orlando I, 2012 · Orlando II, 2012
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Because the name sucks.

Well thought-out and eloquently articulated. To each his own.

PJ
    Toronto 2003 · Boston I, 2004 · Kitchener 2005 · London 2005 · Hamilton 2005 · Toronto 2005 · Toronto I, 2006 · Toronto II, 2006 · Mansfield I, 2008 · Mansfield II, 2008 · Philadelphia III, 2009 · Philadelphia IV, 2009 · Cleveland 2010 · *Buffalo 2010* · PJ20 ALPINE VALLEY 2011 · Toronto I, 2011 · Toronto II, 2011 · Hamilton 2011 · London (ON) 2013 · Buffalo 2013 · Toronto I, 2016 · Toronto II, 2016 · Chicago I, 2018 · Chicago II, 2018

EV
    Montreal I, 2008 · Montreal II, 2008 · Albany 2009 · Philadelphia 2011 · Fort Lauderdale I, 2012 · Orlando I, 2012 · Orlando II, 2012
  • I hope they keep Jets as well. And the color scheme. It's just too easy so it probably won't happen.
    And the NHL hasn't had much success with names lately. wild,bluejackets,thrashers...blah.

What did you want pal?

A fucking 300 word essay on why they shouldn't use that god awful name again?

Sorry if your special thread didn't get the attention you were seeking.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    I like the Jets. I think they will go with that because that's what the fans want. however, i don't think it will do much for home ticket sales and would only have a marginal impact on road sales.

the real question is, what happens with hockey day in canada. one team won't be playing, at least not until the yotes move to quebec
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    jets.....jets....jets....jets.....JETS!
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
    I thought this was funny as hell
    The Winnipeg Kotter's

welcome-back-kotter.jpg

Welcome back.

Here's your jersey

Kotter.jpg
    >>>>
    >

• voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Winnipeg Wendigos

Then we can call them the Winnie Wendy's.
    VoidOfMan wrote:
    Winnipeg Wendigos

Then we can call them the Winnie Wendy's.

I like the use of the Cree Story ;)
    >>>>
    >

What did you want pal?

A fucking 300 word essay on why they shouldn't use that god awful name again?

Sorry if your special thread didn't get the attention you were seeking.

Whoa..someone forgot to take their meds this morning

PJ

EV
  • Whoa..someone forgot to take their meds this morning

:roll:
  • I hope it's the Jets also. I have heard some really bad other names that are a possibility:
    Manatoba Polar Bears
    Manatoba Bears
    Winnipeg Rebels
    Manatoba Winter :lol:
    Manatoba Moose

Please make it right and name them the Jets.
    Funny enough the only one I really like (Other than the Winnepeg Kotters..thats shits classy) is the Manitoba Moose....that one could work. This is all moot....theyre gonna name them the JETS and if they dont, Peggers will kick them back out of town ;)
    >>>>
    >

• HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    81 wrote:
    I like the Jets. I think they will go with that because that's what the fans want. however, i don't think it will do much for home ticket sales and would only have a marginal impact on road sales.

the real question is, what happens with hockey day in canada. one team won't be playing, at least not until the yotes move to quebec

Yeah it has to be the Jets ......as for hockey day in Canada we will have to invite an American team to the party
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • TriggerTrigger Posts: 16
    I really hope they go with Winnipeg Jets... Not Manitoba Jets... If they for whatever reason can't use the Jets my second choice would be the Winnipeg Falcons. Some historical ties with that name as it was the first Canadian men's hockey team to win Olympic Gold and every year a pair of peregrine falcons nest up on the Radisson hotel next door to the MTS Centre.
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    Anything other than Jets would be asinine, but it is the NHL and Bettman is still in charge so...
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • he still standshe still stands Posts: 2,835
    I don't follow hockey... but why in the f'ing world do they put hockey teams in Atlanta, Phoenix, Florida, Dallas, etc??? I think it'd make more sense for Saskatoon to have a team then those cities... even if there are only like 200,000 people living there I think they could fill the seats there.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I don't follow hockey... but why in the f'ing world do they put hockey teams in Atlanta, Phoenix, Florida, Dallas, etc??? I think it'd make more sense for Saskatoon to have a team then those cities... even if there are only like 200,000 people living there I think they could fill the seats there.
    Easy ... Corporate money and increased exposure of their product.

Atlanta should have had it made, but it sounds like their owners were really bad at running a hockey club.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Jason P wrote:

Atlanta should have had it made, but it sounds like their owners were really bad at running a hockey club.

Atlanta is a bad sports market.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    81 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

Atlanta is a bad sports market.

what he said
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Jason P wrote:

Just about every sports league wants to expand their product, but it doesn't always work. NFL Europe is a good example. The NHL has been trying to expand into the Southern U.S. for quite a while, but it just doesn't work. There's not a lot of interest.

I think here in Dallas the Stars have managed to do OK, but it is still a niche sport that will always be overshadowed by the Cowboys, Rangers and Mavericks. Even though the Stars have won a championship (1999) and the Rangers/Mavericks have never won, and the Cowboys haven't since since the '95-'96 season.

I guess they do it in hopes it will catch on, or at the very least sell tickets to the snowbirds. But I don't think hockey will every really catch on in the U.S. except for Northern and Northeastern states, with a few exceptions. And I think they should stick to those areas, and Canada of course, even if it means downsizing the league.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Anything other than Jets would be asinine, but it is the NHL and Bettman is still in charge so...

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=159383

it has nothing to do with Bettman. he already gave True North the green light for using the Jets name, for FREE. (NHL owns the rights, so they could have charged a licensing fee).
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • it doesn't work because it's a cultural thing. kids in texas don't grow up going to the local hockey rink at 5am on a saturday morning. because there's no fucking ice! sports enthusiasm starts at a young age, not 35 when a team finally arrives.

the only way Phoenix could have survived, hypthetically, is that so many Canadian old people vacation down there in the winter. But you can't count on tourists to fill a 15,000 seat building 45 times a year.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    manitoba falcons?
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,722
    Seeing as it's Winnipeg, I'd ask Bernard Shakey his opinion.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

I thought this was funny as hell
    The Winnipeg Kotter's

welcome-back-kotter.jpg

Welcome back.

Here's your jersey

Kotter.jpg

Ah, you found my Kotter idea!!! This works people. Tell me you wouldn't buy that jersey. I dare you. I'd wear that to a job interview. Forget the fact that I pasted a photo from the cover of Gabe Kaplan's book onto the Penguins third jersey and imagine the possibilities.
  • genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    Has to be Jets. Its just not right for it to be something else. :roll:
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    My vote is for Jets as well
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    What's the Mr. Kotter association to the Winnipeg?
    Jason P wrote:
    What's the Mr. Kotter association to the Winnipeg?

Welcome Back