Congrats to Winnipeg!!!

2»

Comments

• genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    Used to live in the Peg. Its a very happy day for us all! But now my loyalties will be split. Oilers or Jets. Sorta havent forgiven the Oil since trading Smitty so I guess only time will tell for me.
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    It was a hell of a party today. Thousands of people shutting down main streets for all day street hockey games. Lots of champagne and cigars. Even the non-hockey fans were in good moods. Hopefully it carries over to season ticket sales (which I cannot afford).

I hope they keep the Jets name. If they want to change it, to include the rest of the province or to just start fresh, I like the Voyageurs.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I say move Detroit and Chicago to the east and create an original 6 division first...then realign the rest as they wish.
    and thusly that gives the no other team outside of philly, boston and pittsburgh in the eastern conference no chance in hell of ever making it past the 2nd round. i like what hawkshore came up with.

Yeah I can't see Lukin's idea happening any time soon......... Realignment is going to require leauge governor approval and original 6 teams are a big draw ......moving the last two remaining ones lout of the western conference is not going to fly.
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Hawkshore wrote:

Yeah I can't see Lukin's idea happening any time soon......... Realignment is going to require leauge governor approval and original 6 teams are a big draw ......moving the last two remaining ones lout of the western conference is not going to fly.
    it wouldn't fly only cause of competitive balance that exist today. back in the 90's when the southern market boomed happened it be a perfect idea. have all the south teams in one division, midwest teams in another, original 6 in another, canada teams in another and northeast teams in another and have no conferences and just taken the top 14 in the league for the playoffs.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/05/31/29 ... ition.html

kings are owned by AEG which also owns the sprint center in AEG. i smell relocation to KC. the last time the kings had an exhibition game in KC at the sprint center it was with the isles and it was "sold out" but only 6,000 or 8,000 people showed up.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    Congrats indeed, now let's get them Coyotes to Hartford!

and I say keep the Jets name and not change but tweak the original logo
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • lukin2006 wrote:
    ! possibility I did hear was Detroit to the North East, Boston to the Atlantic, Philadelphia to the South East and Winnipeg to the Central. Of course nothing will happen for a year at least.

They need to just keep it simple. I think Nashville in the Southeast makes a ton of sense and then you could just plug Winnipeg in the Central or like someone said earlier move Minnesota to the Central and Winnipeg to the Northwest.
  • Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    congrats you Peggers. I cant see it being called anything but the Jets, has to be. NHL still own the rights to the name and they said they would give it back. It has to be the Jets
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    rumor has it, in an attempt to increase attedance 30%, the islanders are looking to move to Atlanta. Of course this is just half the plan, as the final destination is Quebec
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I say move Detroit and Chicago to the east and create an original 6 division first...then realign the rest as they wish.
    and thusly that gives the no other team outside of philly, boston and pittsburgh in the eastern conference no chance in hell of ever making it past the 2nd round. i like what hawkshore came up with.

Why wouldn't they...of those 6 teams...Detroit is probably the most talented...but none of those 6 made it past the 2nd round this year.

The NHL seeds 1-8 in each conference...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    Hawkshore wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

I know it's not going to happen...it's just what I would like to see happen. Detroit wants to move to the East in a big way...we'll now see how much pull Detroit has...I believe they'll need 2/3 support for that to happen. Will the western team want to lose such a big draw to their home games? Will the eastern teams want Detroit in their conference. Because if Tampa play is any indication of what Yzerman learned in Detroit...then I see Tampa and Detroit dominating the east.

The other team in play is Columbus...they want in the East...will the NHL more likely move them? or risk having another franchise in trouble...

Lots of decisions to be made.

Phoenix will be an issue next year as well. If they can't find a buyer...they could end up in Quebec.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I would love it if Detroit moves east! Those 10:30 pm starts suck big time.

They might as well get rid of the divisions as they are basically pointless except for shelling out "Division Champs" t-shirts for fans.
    Jason P wrote:
    I would love it if Detroit moves east! Those 10:30 pm starts suck big time.

They might as well get rid of the divisions as they are basically pointless except for shelling out "Division Champs" t-shirts for fans.

I know Detroit wants in the east...I'm all for...

• Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    81 wrote:
    rumor has it, in an attempt to increase attedance 30%, the islanders are looking to move to Atlanta. Of course this is just half the plan, as the final destination is Quebec
    :lol::lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,390
    I'm curious why they are so anxious to keep the Jets name. Both the Winnipeg and New York Jets are traditionally terrible franchises. I think they went 1-150 in playoff games vs. the Oilers. Call them something different. :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    I'm curious why they are so anxious to keep the Jets name. Both the Winnipeg and New York Jets are traditionally terrible franchises. I think they went 1-150 in playoff games vs. the Oilers. Call them something different. :lol:

thats exactly why they should remain the Jets.....lol. The playoffs between the Jets ad Oilers of old are classic and bring back alot of good nailbiting memories. Watching the news last night, it seemed all of Winnepeg wanted them to be called the Jets too.
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • it should be the Jets. Or I would be ok with the Manitoba Mosquitos. Call them the Skeeters for short.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • EarthgirlEarthgirl Posts: 695
    Dave Eh wrote:
    it should be the Jets. Or I would be ok with the Manitoba Mosquitos. Call them the Skeeters for short.

:lol: I love it ! The Manitoba Skeeters

I think it should be the Jets too. What else would ever fit. Boy it sure is great to get another Canadian team.
    lukin2006 wrote:

Why wouldn't they...of those 6 teams...Detroit is probably the most talented...but none of those 6 made it past the 2nd round this year.

i know what the seeds are thank you very much. not new to hockey like most people in america are and will be.

my point was if you put the red wings in the east, your basically fucking over the nonpower house teams in the east. your pushing every team down 1 seed in the conference. right now every team in the east that makes the playoffs has a chance at the cup finals. i for one love competitive balance in the east.

metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

i know what the seeds are thank you very much. not new to hockey like most people in america are and will be.

my point was if you put the red wings in the east, your basically fucking over the nonpower house teams in the east. your pushing every team down 1 seed in the conference. right now every team in the east that makes the playoffs has a chance at the cup finals. i for one love competitive balance in the east.

I'm not a Red Wing lover myself...but the team belongs in the East...how do you figure their going to mess the balance of the East up? They finished 3rd in the western conference this year...if anything their continued success has forced the other western teams to be smarter. I think if you think they are the the favourites year in year out, well their not, they'll be one of the favourites along with the other 15 teams that make the playoffs.

I think it's either them or Columbus who get moved...my guess is it's the Wings...don't worry their not costing your Islanders a playoff spot...the Islanders horrible drafting, trading and just pathetic way of doing things is costing them a shot at the playoffs.

• FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    What happens to records in a case like this? Did original Jets franchise records go with them to Phoenix? What about Atlanta's?
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    bring detroit to the east...i for one am not scared of a little competition.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Flagg wrote:
    What happens to records in a case like this? Did original Jets franchise records go with them to Phoenix? What about Atlanta's?
    Phoenix has the old Jet's records. I would assume that the Thrashers history will follow to Winnipeg.

I think the Cleveland Browns are the only exception to the rule.
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    Competitive balance changes year to year some organizations are more adept at sustaining success than others but most go through a cycle based on player where the core players are in their development. The league governors are going to look at the $'s when making this decision and I just don't see the owners in the west oking another losing 30 plus solid gates by allowing another original six team to move out of the conference.
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
    Hawkshore wrote:
    Competitive balance changes year to year some organizations are more adept at sustaining success than others but most go through a cycle based on player where the core players are in their development. The league governors are going to look at the $'s when making this decision and I just don't see the owners in the west oking another losing 30 plus solid gates by allowing another original six team to move out of the conference.

That's a good point...if that's how the owners are thinking then Columbus likely gets moved. I do think the wings have a lot of lobbying to do before the next year.

I wonder if the NHL will want to just swap Columbus and Winnipeg and avoid major realignment until the coyotes issue is settled.

lukin2006 wrote:
    I wonder if the NHL will want to just swap Columbus and Winnipeg and avoid major realignment until the coyotes issue is settled.

that would make too much sense. just swap schedules...although there could be some scheduling conflicts, although shouldn't be too many.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,584
    does edmonton still have the oilers?
    www.myspace.com

get outta of here.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,584
    81 wrote:

get outta of here.

are they the avalanch?
    www.myspace.com
    lukin2006 wrote:

don't worry their not costing your Islanders a playoff spot...the Islanders horrible drafting, trading and just pathetic way of doing things is costing them a shot at the playoffs.
    umm they haven't been horrible at drafting or trading or doing pathetic things since milbury left. look at all the young talent the isles have on the team in Grabner, jt, Moulson, Striet, Okposo, Hamonic, Macdonald and in the farm system. i suggest you look up names like Kevin Poulin, Casey Cizikas, Nino Niederreiter, Brock Nelson, Anders lee.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/nhl_organisation_rankings/

it's not bout my precious isles as you so gladly like to assume :roll: :lol::lol: , it's bout making teams in the east having a tougher time getting into the playoffs. your now making a team like the bolts finish 6th or 7th whereas they'd finish as the division winner or 4th place.