Congrats to Winnipeg!!!

MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,679
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
The sale of the Atlanta Thrashers to True North is to be announced at a press conference in about 20 minutes.

The only obstacle would be a slam dunk vote to take place on June 21st to approve the sale of the team and the relocation to Winnipeg.

Its been a long road, but it looks like Winnipeg is getting the NHL back.

I really hope they are the Jets though. I have heard: Manitoba Moose, Manitoba Polar Bears (powder blue uniforms), and the Manitoba Bears
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• apeman77apeman77 Posts: 153
    I don't think they should be called the Jets.........the Jets are in Phoenix now.

And I'm not crazy about naming them anything that starts with Manitoba either. (Moose, Polar Bears, whatever)

The name should be Winnipeg something.......

With a couple of exceptions, most of the NHL teams names are based on the cities that they play in. It's not the British Columbia Canucks vs the Massachusetts Bruins in this years Stanley Cup. (go bruins by the way)

Winnipeg Warriors or Winnipeg Winterhawks, or something like that....

But for sure, this is awesome news for Canadian hockey fans.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    That's the second time a NHL team has moved from Atlanta to Canada ... I'm tired of Canada stealing teams from the U.S.

8-)
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    Jason P wrote:
    That's the second time a NHL team has moved from Atlanta to Canada ... I'm tired of Canada stealing teams from the U.S.

8-)

Congrats to the Peg! .......Now get rid of that douche Byfuglin so we don't have to see him five times a year when they relocate to the North West

Yeah I heard somebody say joke the other day .......what is the best way to get more teams in Canada .......Award more expansion franchises to Atlanta!
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • apeman77 wrote:
    The name should be Winnipeg something.......

winnipeg voyageurs?
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,679
    so it looks like they are going to remain in the Southeast Division for now...
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,151
    apeman77 wrote:
    I don't think they should be called the Jets.........the Jets are in Phoenix now.

The Cleveland Browns became the Baltimore Ravens. But then Cleveland got a team back and renamed them the Browns. I think Winnipeg should do the same.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    MayDay10 wrote:

Apparently the scheduling for next year is largely set. It looks like in 2012 / 2013 will be when the realignment will happen

I would like to see

Winnipeg move to the NW
    Nashville move to the SE
    Minnesota move to the central

With Winnipeg in the NW you virtually have the old Smythe division intact, and with Minny in the central you pretty much have the old Norris division back together!
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,390
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    apeman77 wrote:

The Cleveland Browns became the Baltimore Ravens. But then Cleveland got a team back and renamed them the Browns. I think Winnipeg should do the same.

Cleveland cut a deal with the NFL to keep the Browns name and history. So it was like the Ravens were a new team. I don't think Winnipeg did any such thing.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Good to see a team back in Winnipeg, hopefully everything works out this time around. League economics are a lot better these days.

I kinda hope they go back to being the Jets.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,584
    is winnipeg big enough for 2 nhl teams though?
    www.myspace.com
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    is winnipeg big enough for 2 nhl teams though?

as long as they can sing and dance..no problem
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,151
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    apeman77 wrote:

Cleveland cut a deal with the NFL to keep the Browns name and history. So it was like the Ravens were a new team. I don't think Winnipeg did any such thing.

Right, but they got all the Browns players with their contracts. I hope the distinction does not matter and they can be the Jets again. I think that would be pretty cool.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
    Keith Tkachuk

One of my all time favorite players

• is winnipeg big enough for 2 nhl teams though?

as long as they can sing and dance..no problem

Dancin' Gabe!
    gabe.jpg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqcwWTVLvWo&feature=player_embedded#at=31
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
    wait...what happened with the jets? :?
    www.myspace.com

They left years ago..I thought you were messing around with West Side Story and the Jets

:lol:

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    apeman77 wrote:

I think the NFL realized there was going to be wide-spread rioting and they basically made a promise to Cleveland that they would have their team back.

Also, as a Colt's fan, I find it very ironic that all those Baltimore fans that gave me crap for Indy stealing their team now have no problems loving a team their city stole ... while still harboring resentment towards Indy!

They left years ago..I thought you were messing around with West Side Story and the Jets

i was half kidding because i'm not sure where they moved to.

hockey should just stay up north. hartford doesn't have the whalers anymore right? they should get their team back too.
    www.myspace.com
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067

hockey should just stay up north. hartford doesn't have the whalers anymore right? they should get their team back too.
    the Winnipeg Jets moved to Phoenix in 96. Hartford hasn't had the whalers since 97.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

Hawkshore wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

Apparently the scheduling for next year is largely set. It looks like in 2012 / 2013 will be when the realignment will happen

I would like to see

Winnipeg move to the NW
    Nashville move to the SE

With Winnipeg in the NW you virtually have the old Smythe division intact, and with Minny in the central you pretty much have the old Norris division back together!
    that be to logical for the nhl and we all know the nhl doesn't do things logical

metsfan wrote:

the Winnipeg Jets moved to Phoenix in 96. Hartford hasn't had the whalers since 97.

1996??!!??!!? :o

that cannot be right.

who did the north stars used to be?
    www.myspace.com

who did the north stars used to be?
    Minnesota

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    apeman77 wrote:

But didn't the Browns become the Ravens and when Cleveland got a new franchise they called them the Browns again.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    eddiec wrote:
    apeman77 wrote:

But didn't the Browns become the Ravens and when Cleveland got a new franchise they called them the Browns again.
    cleveland has an nfl team?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    81 wrote:
    eddiec wrote:
    apeman77 wrote:

cleveland has an nfl team?

Arena league I think.
  • Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    Hawkshore wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

I would like to see

Winnipeg move to the NW
    Nashville move to the SE

That's swell, what about Phoenix, cause they won't be there next year? It's too early to speculate about realignment until that team has a home for 12-13. And if you believe what LeBrun from ESPN says, they might take a look at revamping the whole setup and might do away with divisions entirely.
  • EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    Well this sucks, means at least two less times I get to see my Penguins a year. And how are they still going to be playing in the Southeast? That's a lot of flying for the Jets.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I say move Detroit and Chicago to the east and create an original 6 division first...then realign the rest as they wish.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    ! possibility I did hear was Detroit to the North East, Boston to the Atlantic, Philadelphia to the South East and Winnipeg to the Central. Of course nothing will happen for a year at least.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I say move Detroit and Chicago to the east and create an original 6 division first...then realign the rest as they wish.
    and thusly that gives the no other team outside of philly, boston and pittsburgh in the eastern conference no chance in hell of ever making it past the 2nd round. i like what hawkshore came up with.