Sports season almost over. :(

2»

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    Fitting that this was just posted on Hardball Talk

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/ ... e-problem/

A pretty stunning stat from Steve Dilbeck at the L.A. Times: Through Monday attendance in Major League Baseball is down 237,983 through the same number of games in 2010. 207,612 of that decline — a whopping 87% — is accounted for by the Los Angeles Dodgers alone.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    81 wrote:
    Sorry I don't bother with sigs. Too many annoying ones. I don't want to see the douchebags win the Nba finals either. But seeing that you are in Philly I understand why you like baseball after all they are the only Philly team to win anything for decades.

Yep, we're fair weather fans. Still the only franchise in the world with 10,000 losses. Nice call. You got it. :roll:

only 1084 games below 500

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/

2 rings since 1883 :shock: :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276

still better than the cubs

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

still better than the cubs

:lol:

oh my....how can u suck for sooo many years??????
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......

they are the ny rangers of baseball
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,390
    Haha - nice thread direction here. Yes, I'm good humored about my team's horrendous history. We actually have the same number of championships as the Cubs - 2. They got theirs in 1907 & 1908. I was in DC for the Phils game on Monday, and all these people were amazed we travelled their for a baseball game and took over their stadium. Universally, Phillies fans said "we're enjoying it while it lasts." But I have been taking Phillies road trips since 1999, when our team was typically dreadful. Baseball road trips are one of many great things about the sport. A hockey or basketball road trip would just take you to a bunch of arenas that all look the same and would cost you a fortune. And if you go see 2 teams you don't care about, it's all the more excuse to walk around and check out the ballpark you're in.

I'd say the attendance drop in baseball is, apparently, 90% Dodgers, and the other 10% bad weather. People don't feel like putting up with gangsters & rain, I guess. Still, attendance is nearly as high as it's ever been in baseball history.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    81 wrote:

they are the ny rangers of baseball

not even close ...and yet the flyers haven't won in 35 years......and away we go ...
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,584
    this is the best barometer for baseball attendance:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagu ... ance.shtml

19 teams have seen a decline. mets/dodgers/rays/mariners seeing the biggest drops. giants and rangers seeing the biggest gains for obvious reasons. nice to see toronto's attendance climbing a bit.

i agree with 81 though. some of these new parks should been built smaller. hopefully the marlins new digs don't hold much more than 30,000. tough watching their games when barely a quarter of the stadium is full down there...
    www.myspace.com

19 teams have seen a decline. mets/dodgers/rays/mariners seeing the biggest drops. giants and rangers seeing the biggest gains for obvious reasons. nice to see toronto's attendance climbing a bit.

i agree with 81 though. some of these new parks should been built smaller. hopefully the marlins new digs don't hold much more than 30,000. tough watching their games when barely a quarter of the stadium is full down there...

it'd be nice if they published both ticket sales (which is what they are publishing now) and actual ticket useage.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

it'd be nice if they published both ticket sales (which is what they are publishing now) and actual ticket useage.

ha...no way they would do that. :lol: i swear some of those marlins game sound about as loud as my legion games back in the day
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Haha - nice thread direction here. Yes, I'm good humored about my team's horrendous history. We actually have the same number of championships as the Cubs - 2. They got theirs in 1907 & 1908. I was in DC for the Phils game on Monday, and all these people were amazed we travelled their for a baseball game and took over their stadium. Universally, Phillies fans said "we're enjoying it while it lasts." But I have been taking Phillies road trips since 1999, when our team was typically dreadful. Baseball road trips are one of many great things about the sport. A hockey or basketball road trip would just take you to a bunch of arenas that all look the same and would cost you a fortune. And if you go see 2 teams you don't care about, it's all the more excuse to walk around and check out the ballpark you're in.

I'd say the attendance drop in baseball is, apparently, 90% Dodgers, and the other 10% bad weather. People don't feel like putting up with gangsters & rain, I guess. Still, attendance is nearly as high as it's ever been in baseball history.

I will be making the trip out to pittsburgh to see the phils this weekend. Lord knows the pirates need all the attendance help they can get. philadelphia will be happy to help. it's nice of all these other cities to lend their stadiums to phillies fans for these series
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    I miss the SuperSonics. Fuck the NBA. I was glad to see the Oklahoma City Thieves get beat by the Mavs. Go Mavs!!

Will the NFL get their shit together before it is too late for a proper season tis year? Gawd, I hope so. The Seahawks have a lo of work to do before they can even start...like figure out our QB situation!! Kevin Kolb would be cool. But, i also wouldn't be disappointed if they resigned Matt for another couple years so he can pass his knowledge on to a young kid who will be our future long tenured QB, like h has been.

GO MARINERS!!! Man, I tell you what, I had absolutely no hope for this season at all...still a very disgruntled lifelong fan here. Being a fan of professional sports in Seattle is one of the toughest things to do. The M's the last 10 years have contributed to that immensely. However, the month of May was very very god to the M's and they have come into June with a winning record, and sitting only a game and a half back in 2nd place of our tight division. Not too shabby. Let's keep this Mariners ship a sailing!!
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I miss the SuperSonics. Fuck the NBA. I was glad to see the Oklahoma City Thieves get beat by the Mavs. Go Mavs!!

Will the NFL get their shit together before it is too late for a proper season tis year? Gawd, I hope so. The Seahawks have a lo of work to do before they can even start...like figure out our QB situation!! Kevin Kolb would be cool. But, i also wouldn't be disappointed if they resigned Matt for another couple years so he can pass his knowledge on to a young kid who will be our future long tenured QB, like h has been.

GO MARINERS!!! Man, I tell you what, I had absolutely no hope for this season at all...still a very disgruntled lifelong fan here. Being a fan of professional sports in Seattle is one of the toughest things to do. The M's the last 10 years have contributed to that immensely. However, the month of May was very very god to the M's and they have come into June with a winning record, and sitting only a game and a half back in 2nd place of our tight division. Not too shabby. Let's keep this Mariners ship a sailing!!
    you forgot the sounders :P
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    The Fixer wrote:

I will be making the trip out to pittsburgh to see the phils this weekend. Lord knows the pirates need all the attendance help they can get. philadelphia will be happy to help. it's nice of all these other cities to lend their stadiums to phillies fans for these series
    Pittsburgh has an MLB team? :oops:

Here's to hoping the Pirate fans act like Dodger fans toward The Fixer. (This is a joke. I in no way wish The Fixer any harm. ;)
    #FHP
    [Pittsburgh has an MLB team? :oops:

not for 20 years. :(

they are having a banner season this year...only 2 games under 500 right now. :shock:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I can't stand watching the NBA or NHL until the playoffs because the games have no meaning.

The NHL games have far more meaning now than they use to...the western conference playoff seeding changed nightly in the last month of the season...next year their are at least 10-11 western conference teams who will have a shot to make the playoffs. Now if the eastern conference can ever get as competitive then it'll be something.

The NHL playoffs and NFL playoffs are the best, imo...the NBA you can just watch the final 2 minutes...that all you really need to see...baseball is a great game in person, but sucks on TV.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I can't stand watching the NBA or NHL until the playoffs because the games have no meaning.

The NHL games have far more meaning now than they use to...the western conference playoff seeding changed nightly in the last month of the season...next year their are at least 10-11 western conference teams who will have a shot to make the playoffs. Now if the eastern conference can ever get as competitive then it'll be something.

The NHL playoffs and NFL playoffs are the best, imo...the NBA you can just watch the final 2 minutes...that all you really need to see...baseball is a great game in person, but sucks on TV.
    Yeah the last month of the season does have some games that count so I do tune into a few.
    #FHP
    lukin2006 wrote:
    NBA you can just watch the final 2 minutes...that all you really need to see...

only if you want to see the final score.

the nice thing about the nhl, nfl, and mlb.....you should expect the unexpected. ie a lower seed team can easily make it to the championship game and win it. in hte NBA, if you aren't a top 3 seed, you don't really have much chance of getting past the first round, let alone the second. i suppose it makes sense since in basketball you are only going 8 or 9 deep in the playoffs and you depend on 3-4 players for most contributions.

in the nfl you are playing 45+ players, hockey is 19 players most nights, and baseball you are looking at 12-15 players most days.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The Fixer wrote:

Pittsburgh has an MLB team? :oops:

Here's to hoping the Pirate fans act like Dodger fans toward The Fixer. (This is a joke. I in no way wish The Fixer any harm. ;)

since the priates don't have any fans I think I will be just fine
    lukin2006 wrote:

Yeah the last month of the season does have some games that count so I do tune into a few.

hold on, let me get this straight.

you don't watch regular season hoops or hockey. you don't watch baseball. yet, you're the one complaining about sports season ending?
    The Fixer wrote:

you don't watch regular season hoops or hockey. you don't watch baseball. yet, you're the one complaining about sports season ending?
    The only real sports season is football. (Sept-Jan)

I can watch sports tv and see all I need to from the regular season games. In Feb I watch a lot of NCAA basketball in preparation for March. After the Madness the NBA and NHL playoffs are basically underway. This lasts until June. Thus July and August nothing.

You talk about cheaters in other threads but the bottom line is the most cheaters are in MLB. That league has been a joke for more than 20 years.
    #FHP
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    The Fixer wrote:

I can watch sports tv and see all I need to from the regular season games. In Feb I watch a lot of NCAA basketball in preparation for March. After the Madness the NBA and NHL playoffs are basically underway. This lasts until June. Thus July and August nothing.

You talk about cheaters in other threads but the bottom line is the most cheaters are in MLB. That league has been a joke for more than 20 years.
    What do you mean "real sports"? A sport is a sport. They're all real.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Newch91 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

So you consider poker a sport?
    #FHP
    Or spelling?
    #FHP
    Newch91 wrote:

So you consider poker a sport?
    No and I don't know why ESPN shows that. But you make it seem like football is the only "real" sport. If you want to talk about "real" sports, rugby is way more real than football.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Dude, I'm just having fun with you. I know there are a lot of baseball fanatics on here. You like it, I don't. I certainly respect your opinion more than most of the others responding.
    #FHP
    Dude, I'm just having fun with you. I know there are a lot of baseball fanatics on here. You like it, I don't. I certainly respect your opinion more than most of the others responding.
    Ok, seems like we're on good terms. It was the first sport I watched and played, so that's why I love it.
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=121118

i'd consider the op fraudulent for even starting this kind of thread considering he barely watches any sport other than football anyway. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Mixed martial arts goes all year long and that's much more "real" than putting a ball in a hoop or a puck in a net.
    :shock:

:lol::lol::lol:
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
    http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=121118

i'd consider the op fraudulent for even starting this kind of thread considering he barely watches any sport other than football anyway. :lol:
    I know he's a fraud! And a troll!
    #FHP