Options

Poster Pre-Sales...?

13»

Comments

• Options
    PJ-PhysicsPJ-Physics Posts: 112
    I was thinking that this might be part of the festivities. I can see them commissioning all of the usual artists (Brad Klaussen, Ames Bros, Amek, etc.) to create posters for the PJ20 shows and have the artists make staggered appearances to reveal and sell there works during the show days. You can get your S/N posters and a few words with the artist. This would help spread the poster love and keep the collect-ability factor up and maybe ensure that most of us can leave with one or two prints. Seems like a good way of doing the festival-thing with the art and at the same time ensuring that they don't get cleaned out of posters for the whole weekend by 12:30 on Saturday.
  • Options
    slinger256slinger256 Victoria Posts: 374
    moonsteps wrote:
    I desparately want this option back for all future shows. I know that Tim said on AET that they likely won't be doing this again. I got the impression that the band feels that we are not only negatively impacting the poster market but robbing the fan of that nostalgic experience of getting unique merch at your show. OK, I get that.

However, I personnally don't buy posters because they become valuable art. I want my ONE poster for each show I attend...and I can't very well stop now after all this time!! :lol: Also, that nostalgic feeling was gone after the first poster MANY years ago, now it is replaced by anger, anxiety, fear due to the following:

- having to leave the preparty early
    - standing in line
    - wrestling your neighbors, most of whom are supposed to be 10C friends
    - losing out on the last poster right before you get to the front of the line (maybe cause they didn't exactly follow the 1 per customer rule)
    - if you are lucky to snag one, you have to guard the thing like the HOPE DIAMOND from theft, beer or a simple crease (god forbid they let you bring poster tubes in)
    - guarding the poster usually results in a certain level of distraction during the show
    - packing the poster up for travel to the next city or show
    - working to trade or pay for an overpriced ebay version after the show is over

Because of the poster presale in 2009, I enjoyed the entire concert experience much more (the pre-party, getting to the gate when I wanted to, rocking out uninhibited during the show, etc)! I don't even mind paying the extra shipping...in fact I would pay even more for the presale option if needed.

Please 10C...hear our plea. Let's just call it a thank you gift for having to endure F5-fest!!!! :D

^^^^
    THIS
  • Options
    slinger256slinger256 Victoria Posts: 374
    demetrios wrote:
    If they can't do a 10club Poster Pre-Sale online, how about selling some posters @ the 10club ticket booth? What I mean is those who pick up there 10club tickets could right there @ the same 10club booth purchase a print. Say you wait in line & they ask for you name & photo ID. They'll give you the 2 tickets then ask you if would like to purchase a print to the show.

How about it? :)

^^^^
    and This
  • Options
    jason_94jason_94 Toledo, OH Posts: 1,872
    EZ1221C wrote:
    Presales were great. If no presale... the can I request no moose for the Vancouver show?

I've got many of 'em... but the Canadian posters... are there any classics? I still appreciate every one I've bought for nostalgia's sake... but my wife looks and laughs. I try hard to stay in denial.
    Toronto 09 is a classic in my book. An absolutely beautiful poster.

I wish I could get that 1996 Toronto poster :( .
    3/22/94 Cleveland, OH
    9/21/96 Toronto, ON
    8/26/98 Cleveland, OH
    5/09/10 Cleveland, OH
    9/03/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    9/04/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    7/19/13 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 Buffalo, NY
    12/06/13 Seattle, WA
    10/16/14 Detroit, MI
    10/17/14 Moline, IL
    8/20/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
  • Options
    SwordoSwordo Posts: 266
    So I got an email back from the 10C. It was short and said 'we don't have any information as of yet, but stay tuned'

So that gives us a sliver of hope.....right?
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    jfconnorjr wrote:
    I think Tim B commented on this a few weeks ago on the raido show saying that they would not pre-sale these again as it ruined the market or something like that?
    Someone I am sure can look into it in more detail....

That's despicable if true. Are they for the fans or for the flippers?

As I mentioned in an earlier post... PJ had/has absolutely no problem trashing the PJ bootleg market.

I don't see the logic behind how preselling posters kills the market for them. I mean lets take the Ottawa 05 poster I have framed in my basement. According to the internet there were 1,050 of these printed. Now lets say for the Ottawa 2012 concert they print the same amount but they presell 300 of them. If the demand was the same that would mean there was only 750 available to sell at the concert, meaning they would be harder to get and more sought after. Especially when you consider that the ones presold are probably not going to end up on Ebay or something, so there would be less posters floating out there for people who didn't go to the concert to buy. Isn't that the exact opposite of ruining the market?
  • Options
    pedalbreakpedalbreak Posts: 138
    Swordo wrote:
    So I got an email back from the 10C. It was short and said 'we don't have any information as of yet, but stay tuned'

So that gives us a sliver of hope.....right?
    I'd say that's a good sign
  • Options
    RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    demetrios wrote:
    If they can't do a 10club Poster Pre-Sale online, how about selling some posters @ the 10club ticket booth? What I mean is those who pick up there 10club tickets could right there @ the same 10club booth purchase a print. Say you wait in line & they ask for you name & photo ID. They'll give you the 2 tickets then ask you if would like to purchase a print to the show.

Best idea of all time!!!!
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    SidnumSidnum Posts: 674
    It's not my fault they made a million copies of terrible posters for the spectrum.

:lol:
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,153
    demetrios wrote:

Best idea of all time!!!!

I'd prefer not to slow that line down any more.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,153
    How about a special merch booth in the 10C wristband area?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:

This is a fantastic idea!
  • Options
    jfconnorjrjfconnorjr Posts: 518
    jfconnorjr wrote:
    I think Tim B commented on this a few weeks ago on the raido show saying that they would not pre-sale these again as it ruined the market or something like that?
    Someone I am sure can look into it in more detail....

That's despicable if true. Are they for the fans or for the flippers?

As I mentioned in an earlier post... PJ had/has absolutely no problem trashing the PJ bootleg market.

I don't see the logic behind how preselling posters kills the market for them. I mean lets take the Ottawa 05 poster I have framed in my basement. According to the internet there were 1,050 of these printed. Now lets say for the Ottawa 2012 concert they print the same amount but they presell 300 of them. If the demand was the same that would mean there was only 750 available to sell at the concert, meaning they would be harder to get and more sought after. Especially when you consider that the ones presold are probably not going to end up on Ebay or something, so there would be less posters floating out there for people who didn't go to the concert to buy. Isn't that the exact opposite of ruining the market?

I agree, who cares about the "market". I have serious poster issues and love the presales... if they happen life is good. If not... I have to act like a little girl and run to a merch stand when the gates open... no offense little girls.
  • Options

Seriously.

It's at times slow enough when the entire transaction consists of customer handing employee a license, employee finding tickets, employee handing license/envelope to customer, customer signing envelope, employee handing tickets to customer. Now you want to add this exchange:
    "Would you like to buy a poster?"
    "What?"
    "A poster. Would you like to buy the poster for tonight's show?"
    "What does it look like?"
    Employee points to poster hanging behind them. Customer squints and tries to look through marked up plexiglass.
    "How much?"
    "$30"
    Customer turns around and looks for their husband/wife/whatever in the crowd and yells to them about buying a poster. Husband/wife/whatever can't hear over the din of the crowd so they wade through the line to join them.
    "Should we get a poster?"
    "What do they look like?"
    More pointing and squinting and looking through the plexiglass.
    "I don't know. I guess. If you want to. Can't we just get one inside?"
    "Okay"
    "No thanks."
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    I have a feeling that the PJ20 posters will not be hard to come by, I can see them printing tons of them. I think for just this show, a pre-order for people going would be a good I dead. Luckily, I think I got it with the package deal for the rooms and can leave it there.

One thing I really hope for at these shows is for there to be a sperate Ames Bros booth with them, and hopefully BK, signing and selling posters. And any other artsits they use woud be cool.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    **bump**

This is to try to garner interest for presales for BOTH PJ20 and the Canadian tour!!!!
  • Options
    tallman72tallman72 Posts: 353
    tallman72 wrote:
    Would anyone be willing to buy a pj20 poster for me and send it to me here in Australia I'll pay of course ?

can anyone help me out?? please
  • Options
    buuuuuuump
  • Options
    I know for sure that the last time Pearl Jam played at Alpine the Ten Club tickets were handed out in a little building off to the side of the main ticket windows and they were selling posters before you went into the venue so you could bring them back to your car. I would prefer a presale, but I think they can handle this other ways also so that we don't have to carry with us all day.
  • Options
    usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    tallman72 wrote:
    tallman72 wrote:
    Would anyone be willing to buy a pj20 poster for me and send it to me here in Australia I'll pay of course ?

can anyone help me out?? please

yes. pm me around showtime and I will try and pick you up an extra at cost. You can reciprocate on the next Australian tour.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,723
    Swordo wrote:
    **bump**

This is to try to garner interest for presales for BOTH PJ20 and the Canadian tour!!!!
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    I know for sure that the last time Pearl Jam played at Alpine the Ten Club tickets were handed out in a little building off to the side of the main ticket windows and they were selling posters before you went into the venue so you could bring them back to your car. I would prefer a presale, but I think they can handle this other ways also so that we don't have to carry with us all day.

It would surly make our day much easier.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options

Seriously.

It's at times slow enough when the entire transaction consists of customer handing employee a license, employee finding tickets, employee handing license/envelope to customer, customer signing envelope, employee handing tickets to customer. Now you want to add this exchange:
    "Would you like to buy a poster?"
    "What?"
    "A poster. Would you like to buy the poster for tonight's show?"
    "What does it look like?"
    Employee points to poster hanging behind them. Customer squints and tries to look through marked up plexiglass.
    "How much?"
    "$30"
    Customer turns around and looks for their husband/wife/whatever in the crowd and yells to them about buying a poster. Husband/wife/whatever can't hear over the din of the crowd so they wade through the line to join them.
    "Should we get a poster?"
    "What do they look like?"
    More pointing and squinting and looking through the plexiglass.
    "I don't know. I guess. If you want to. Can't we just get one inside?"
    "Okay"
    "No thanks."

That's why you just enclose a poster voucher with the Ten Club tickets, regardless. It's all in the envelope. Every member is guaranteed a poster and if they don't want it, give it to someone else or just toss it.
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    Sprunkn7 wrote:

It would surly make our day much easier.

If you drive, it would make your day much easier. For those who take shuttles, especially from campgrounds, it still might be a challenge. Having a presale like in 09 would be the best.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    moonstepsmoonsteps Posts: 51
    It's true that putting the posters up for sale at the 10c window would increase your chances of securing one and allow you to go store it somewhere before entering the venue. Also, I would expect that the 10c window staff would enforce the limit of one per person.

Overall, this sounds to be a pretty good alternative to the current method. One potential negative I forsee is needing to lineup extra early at the window to ensure you get a chance at one. Other than the added shipping and loss of the "experience" or "thrill of the hunt", I still prefer the presale option that we had for the 2009 tour. Please bring this back for future tours.

Could that be an added privilege for being "Analog"?
    "Like a cloud dropping rain...I'm discarding all thought"
  • Options
    starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
    i'm keeping my extra lawn ticket to ge my merch, leave, and come back. it's that simple. :):mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Options
    bump
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Dumb Question...and I'm just asking because I don't know!!
    Sorry if this has already been addressed somewhere, but I'm just kinda curious.
    Everyone keeps talking about the "1 Poster Limit"!!
    How would one know what the limit for merchandise is?
    I don't recall seeing any signage (I know there were none at Detroit on Sunday) at the merch booths that says there were any kind of limits placed on any of the items for sale.
    Is this just an unwritten rule that you can only buy 1 poster?
    Are there different limits for Eddie Solo & Pearl Jam shows?
    Are they limited only in the large markets, because I don't remember seeing any limits at the Columbus PJ Show last year, but if you SAW the poster from Columbus (they still have these available in GOODS) last year, I don't think you'd want more than one of these anyway!! :lol::lol:
    If I ask someone on the boards, well in advance, to pick me up a poster at an upcoming show, is this frowned upon?
    Just wondering where to find out this info. :ugeek:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170