Options

Poster Pre-Sales...?

Comments

• Options
    How could a pre-sale lead to them printing too many posters, thus being left with a lot after the shows? If every member who bought a 10club ticket has the chance to buy a poster that should help minimize the amount of leftovers. If I had a lemonade stand, and I knew 200 people were coming and I called fifty people and asked if they wanted one, and had them pay for it ahead of time, and I knew that the last time I sold lemonade in this exact location I sold 100 cups, I think I would do a pretty good job of minimizing overage. And if I wanted to make sure I had no overage (if that's their big concern) I would be very conservative with how much lemonade I made. And if I was worried about not maximizing profits I would say to the people who pre-ordered my delicious fucking lemonade, the people who don't want to wait on line and don't want to worry about spilling their lemonade when someone bangs into them, I tell them in order to get this convenience I need to charge them 25% more.

It's not rocket science.
  • Options
    indifferentmanindifferentman Goshen, IN Posts: 731
    I also recall in '03 that Alpine Valley had a merch stand that is accessible from the OUTSIDE. So I'm hoping that this is still the case and we can pick up or tickets and then trek back to the car and put our posters away safe and sound. I couldn't imagine trying to carry it around for the entire day at AV otherwise.

One thing I noticed about the 09 pre-sale is that there was A LOT of posters left over afterward. I would imagine that there was complaints from the artists and collectors about there being "too many" posters on the market then. Frankly I think that's a GREAT thing. My goal is always to get the poster for the show I went to. If I happen to see leftover posters afterward and I like the artwork, then I'll buy those, but I don't get off on getting posters for EVERY show. Make them a little bit less valuable by having a greater supply and more of us can actually own them!
    I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    moonstepsmoonsteps Posts: 51
    I desparately want this option back for all future shows. I know that Tim said on AET that they likely won't be doing this again. I got the impression that the band feels that we are not only negatively impacting the poster market but robbing the fan of that nostalgic experience of getting unique merch at your show. OK, I get that.

However, I personnally don't buy posters because they become valuable art. I want my ONE poster for each show I attend...and I can't very well stop now after all this time!! :lol: Also, that nostalgic feeling was gone after the first poster MANY years ago, now it is replaced by anger, anxiety, fear due to the following:

- having to leave the preparty early
    - standing in line
    - wrestling your neighbors, most of whom are supposed to be 10C friends
    - losing out on the last poster right before you get to the front of the line (maybe cause they didn't exactly follow the 1 per customer rule)
    - if you are lucky to snag one, you have to guard the thing like the HOPE DIAMOND from theft, beer or a simple crease (god forbid they let you bring poster tubes in)
    - guarding the poster usually results in a certain level of distraction during the show
    - packing the poster up for travel to the next city or show
    - working to trade or pay for an overpriced ebay version after the show is over

Because of the poster presale in 2009, I enjoyed the entire concert experience much more (the pre-party, getting to the gate when I wanted to, rocking out uninhibited during the show, etc)! I don't even mind paying the extra shipping...in fact I would pay even more for the presale option if needed.

Please 10C...hear our plea. Let's just call it a thank you gift for having to endure F5-fest!!!! :D
    "Like a cloud dropping rain...I'm discarding all thought"
  • Options
    SwordoSwordo Posts: 266
    Yes, love to see the support. I hope we can get 10C to re-consider. **Email sent.
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    I really hope that they bring back the poster pre-sales for at least PJ20.

Having to get to Alpine extremely early each day to get a poster and then have to carry it around (and protect it from damage/theft) for an entire day in the lawn does not sound like fun. i would much rather focus on my energy on enjoying the music and the time with friends.

Also, if the 10C takes pre-sale orders early enough, they can adjust the number of posters that are made to ensure that they do not have too many left after the show.
  • Options
    maverickmaverick Posts: 1,185
    I would love to pre-order the posters for the PJ20 weekend. I hope this becomes an option.
  • Options
    Bump

Let's convince the 10C to make this happen!
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    maverick wrote:
    I would love to pre-order the posters for the PJ20 weekend. I hope this becomes an option.

that would be awesome. 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    maverick wrote:

+1
    Please consider this 10Club!!! :ugeek:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    Let's do this!

I can't even sleep at night when thinking of the nightmare it would be to fight for and protect a poster for over 12 hours!!! And being PJ20, the demand for these babies is going to be huge. Huge demand means the potential for more craziness at the merch stands, not to mention epic paranoia during the entire concert. I'm going to PJ20 to enjoy some fucking awesome gigs, not practice for a Secret Service job. Let's go, 10c! Make this happen!

The downside is the potential to reduce the value of the prints after the gig. Oh boo hoo! :cry: Is this for the fans or for the flippers and dealers? Do this right, guys!

Now that I think about it... the "diluting the value" argument makes no sense... Pearl Jam blew up the PJ bootleg market 10 years ago and haven't stopped since!

And the "robbing the fan of nostalgia" bit... I can fully understand the nostalgia bit. I respect it, and I even may prefer it in many cases... but the "robbing" part is bull... unless the posters are not for sale at the show, you can get it any way you want!
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    I don't collect the posters because they are valuable...
    I just want one to remember the shows that I went too!
    Why else would ANYONE buy the Columbus/Dinosaur monstrosity (I think these are STILL available in "GOODS" ) from 2010!!
    And aren't the MORE VALUABLE posters the AP's from the artists websites anyway?? :ugeek:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    jason_94jason_94 Toledo, OH Posts: 1,872
    I'm pretty sure that Alpine Valley has one large merchandise stand that is accessible from inside the facility but also from outside the facility. There are other merch stands as well, but I am almost positive that one of the stands allows you to purchase items while still standing in the parking lot. Lord knows our luck would have them close off that side for PJ20, but I know they have done this at other Alpine Valley shows. It isn't as good as a presale shipped to your house, but it would certainly help everyone out to buy their stuff then walk it back to their cars. Something to look for come Labor Day.

That would be GREAT if there was a merch booth we could get to without entering the venue (since there will probably be the infamous "no re-entry"). Maybe they could somehow link it to our 10C # to help us at least get one as some have mentioned on here.

However, I plan on driving to the show. So, where exactly are all of you that take the shuttle planning on putting your poster?

Just a thought.
    3/22/94 Cleveland, OH
    9/21/96 Toronto, ON
    8/26/98 Cleveland, OH
    5/09/10 Cleveland, OH
    9/03/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    9/04/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    7/19/13 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 Buffalo, NY
    12/06/13 Seattle, WA
    10/16/14 Detroit, MI
    10/17/14 Moline, IL
    8/20/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
  • Options
    P23JP23J Posts: 103
    pre sale fo sho!
  • Options
    78FLH78FLH Posts: 410
    My first show we didn't want to lug the poster around so decided to wait till after the show....very bad idea as there were none available. The presale was a great option and I would LOVE to see it back for this.
  • Options
    Presales were great. If no presale... the can I request no moose for the Vancouver show?

I've got many of 'em... but the Canadian posters... are there any classics? I still appreciate every one I've bought for nostalgia's sake... but my wife looks and laughs. I try hard to stay in denial.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    pedalbreakpedalbreak Posts: 138
    It really would be a relief if they did this again
  • Options
    Presales were great. If no presale... the can I request no moose for the Vancouver show?

I've got many of 'em... but the Canadian posters... are there any classics? I still appreciate every one I've bought for nostalgia's sake... but my wife looks and laughs. I try hard to stay in denial.

I don't care if the Canadian posters are weird - we have the moose with the guitar case from Vancouver '09 matted and framed hanging above our fireplace, and the rooster from Vancouver '03 on the opposite wall. :lol:
    Vancouver May 04-24
    Vancouver Dec 04-13, Seattle Dec 06-2013
    Vancouver Sep 25-11, Vancouver Sep 25-09, Vancouver Sep 02-05, Vancouver May 30-03, Vancouver Jul 19-98, Vancouver Sep 04-93

• Options
    tallman72tallman72 Posts: 353
    Would anyone be willing to buy a pj20 poster for me and send it to me here in Australia I'll pay of course ?
  • Options
    Bump for the Saturday crowd.

i think if we can create enough interest in poster pre-sales, we can convince the 10C to have them again this year.
  • Options
    jfconnorjrjfconnorjr Posts: 518
    I think Tim B commented on this a few weeks ago on the raido show saying that they would not pre-sale these again as it ruined the market or something like that?
    Someone I am sure can look into it in more detail....
  • Options
    En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,625
    If they were to do the pre-sale again, I would say two per member who bought tix since so many are sharing their extra ticket with a fellow member. Overall though I think this a great idea! Someone should ask on AET again.

Keep pressing the issue gang. That and the Cluthe/Lee at PJ 20!
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • Options
    jfconnorjr wrote:
    I think Tim B commented on this a few weeks ago on the raido show saying that they would not pre-sale these again as it ruined the market or something like that?
    Someone I am sure can look into it in more detail....

That's despicable if true. Are they for the fans or for the flippers?

As I mentioned in an earlier post... PJ had/has absolutely no problem trashing the PJ bootleg market.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    I think this should stay higher than page 6. Don't you agree?
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    Yes, keep it up and lets try to get a lot of support. Maybe we can get 10C to reconsider.
  • Options
    nothingman4nothingman4 Posts: 794

1_6b1e5c86c1a13edef7d94518894747f0.jpgimo...
    2005:Calgary, Edmonton
    2008:Bonnaroo
    2009:Virgin Fest Calgary, Outside Lands
    2010:Boston, MSG1, MSG2
    2011:EV Seattle (x2), PJ20(x2), Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver

"You are the luckiest fan in the board having heard oceans, release and hard to imagine three shows in a row!!"
  • Options

1_6b1e5c86c1a13edef7d94518894747f0.jpgimo...

That's a beauty. I really like the Hamilton one as well.
    http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/28461
  • Options
    EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645

Toronto 09 is a classic in my book. An absolutely beautiful poster.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,084
    If they can't do a 10club Poster Pre-Sale online, how about selling some posters @ the 10club ticket booth? What I mean is those who pick up there 10club tickets could right there @ the same 10club booth purchase a print. Say you wait in line & they ask for you name & photo ID. They'll give you the 2 tickets then ask you if would like to purchase a print to the show.

How about it? :)
  • Options
    En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,625
    demetrios wrote:
    If they can't do a 10club Poster Pre-Sale online, how about selling some posters @ the 10club ticket booth? What I mean is those who pick up there 10club tickets could right there @ the same 10club booth purchase a print. Say you wait in line & they ask for you name & photo ID. They'll give you the 2 tickets then ask you if would like to purchase a print to the show.

You are one of the greatest minds on the board! :mrgreen:

I had a similar idea, but at the 10C only section inside the venue.
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • Options
    coachchriscoachchris Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada Posts: 749
    demetrios wrote:

Brilliant idea Demetrios! I'm on board...now just convince 10c :lol:
    Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
    Leaving is for the answering machine.