How do people live in Seatte/Portland? RE: Weather

pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,435
edited May 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
so its been cloudy damp and raining off and on for 5 days here in philly. barely a hint of the sun (after a stunningly perfect week of weather before). it's depressing, boring and generally annoying. how the heck do people live in places like Seattle and Portland where it's like this all the time? i'd go off like a neutron bomb or seriousily be addicted to something if i had to live like this all the time. just awful.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    pjhawks wrote:
    so its been cloudy damp and raining off and on for 5 days here in philly. barely a hint of the sun (after a stunningly perfect week of weather before). it's depressing, boring and generally annoying. how the heck do people live in places like Seattle and Portland where it's like this all the time? i'd go off like a neutron bomb or seriousily be addicted to something if i had to live like this all the time. just awful.

iam starting to go crazy :?
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Is this why Kurt and Krist felt depressed at times?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    I know what you mean. It can be really unbearable but you just got to live through it. Play some happy music and live on. And when you sunny days come you go outside and enjoy them! :mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    thefixer9 wrote:
    I know what you mean. It can be really unbearable but you just got to live through it. Play some happy music and live on. And when you sunny days come you go outside and enjoy them! :mrgreen:

ive spent 10 days in seattle in my lifetime ...everyday was perfect sun and 70 degrees or better 8-)

i almost don't believe the rain theory
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    The Pacific Northwest has great weather. They lie to the rest of the US to keep people away. It may be dreary in the winter, but it's still in the 50's versus digging my driveway out from 2 feet of snow.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Jason P wrote:
    The Pacific Northwest has great weather. They lie to the rest of the US to keep people away. It may be dreary in the winter, but it's still in the 50's versus digging my driveway out from 2 feet of snow.

you've cleary never used a snowblower....it puts a smile on my face everytime.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    A friend of mine lives out there and she loves it.

It hasn't been that bad in Philly this week, so it's not sunny, but it's not miserable.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,394
    Jason P wrote:

Yeah, I've been there and it's always been beautiful. And everyone's telling you that it's not really that nice. They just don't want you to move there. :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Jason P wrote:

Yeah, I've been there and it's always been beautiful. And everyone's telling you that it's not really that nice. They just don't want you to move there. :lol:
    When I moved out there, I was astounded that all of the apartment complexes I contacted didn't have air conditioning ... and then when I got out there, I realized you didn't need one!

Amazing weather from July 4th to October 31st
    No humidity
    No mosquitoes
    Amazing scenery
    Snow is in the mountains when you want it

Also, you can tell who the tourist are ... they are the ones carrying umbrellas. :D
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Jason P wrote:
    Amazing weather from July 4th to October 31st
    No humidity
    No mosquitoes
    Amazing scenery
    Snow is in the mountains when you want it

Also, you can tell who the non-natives are ... they are the ones carrying umbrellas. :D
    fixed! ;)

The weather has NOT gotten above 72 since Jan 1st-this is a record
    It's sunny today...supposed to be 73 on Thursday/Friday
    The mosquitoes are in the woods, if you go camping, you will get eaten alive
    It does rain virtually every day from October 1-May/June-ish, but the rain is a constant misty drizzle
    I lived in San Jose for 8-9 months, I moved back because I missed the rainand I hated San JoseThe rain makes everything green and lush-better love mowing your lawn, gotta mow it once a week
    You get used to the rain after dealing with it for 30+ years
    The summers make you remember why you love Seattle so much-the city practically sparkles in the sun
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    Jason P wrote:

Exactly....hated the snow in NY...

I will take rain over snow any day.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,394
    For a while I was trying to talk my wife into moving to Portland. Just hard with all our family around here.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,435
    Jason P wrote:

Exactly....hated the snow in NY...

I will take rain over snow any day.

well in Philly snow is about 4 or 5 times a year. nothing really to worry about. i just like being outside and being outside in this dreary wet weather is depressing. and driving in it sucks. last week was pretty much the best week weather wise here we could have, 75-80 and bright sunshine every day.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    It takes a little getting used to. Really just 2 seasons the wet one and the dry one. July and August do get pretty hot just not humid like in the east. Growing up in PA I miss the snow but we do get just a little now and then.
    #FHP
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    I think the lack of humidity would be awesome. It sucks around here from mid June through September.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • brother123brother123 Posts: 792
    im sick of this shit. Haven't seen the sun since Saturday and it might make an appearance Sunday for a few hours then more fucking rain
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    it's beautiful out there. i'll be back there before to long. i lived just south of the olympic rainforest. greatest place ever.

nice place to walk. canopy overhead keeps one dry.

i was about 2 hrs from seattle, on the coast. westport gets all the rain.

some depressed folks around.

grays harbor country... imagine
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Today is such a beautiful and warm day!!!! :mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    RKCNDY wrote:
    The summers make you remember why you love Seattle so much-the city practically sparkles in the sun

this is true...summers are the best in the pnw

but i couldn't live there year round...being born and raised in so cal, i need sun and warmth most of the time...after a few days, grey and wet gets old...fast :D
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    I don't know how anyone lives in the south. I hate walking outside and sweating for no reason.

Love the weather in the northeast during the spring, fall, and winter. Can't stand the heat and humidity of summer (unless I'm on the beach).
  • tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    Nothings ever completely negative. All that rain and bad weather keeps everything green and vibrant.
    norm wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

but i couldn't live there year round...being born and raised in so cal, i need sun and warmth most of the time...after a few days, grey and wet gets old...fast :D

well, being raised in the PNW, sun shiny happy days everyday get old...fast...too. :lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    norm wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

well, being raised in the PNW, sun shiny happy days everyday get old...fast...too. :lol:

:P i do love it up there though...my brother lived in tacoma for 22 years and i still have friends in seattle so i love visiting although i haven't been in, jeez, 7 years :shock: i really gotta get up there again
    norm wrote:
    :P i do love it up there though...my brother lived in tacoma for 22 years and i still have friends in seattle so i love visiting although i haven't been in, jeez, 7 years :shock: i really gotta get up there again

tacoma? Geez I'm sorry! :lol: no, it's ok...I know there are nice areas in Tacoma...when you live here your whole life, and watch too much Almost Live!, it's hard to let go of the stereotypes about some cities...and yes, you need to get up here again.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    norm wrote:

tacoma? Geez I'm sorry! :lol: no, it's ok...I know there are nice areas in Tacoma...when you live here your whole life, and watch too much Almost Live!, it's hard to let go of the stereotypes about some cities...and yes, you need to get up here again.

yeah they lived next to UPS...that area is nice but the rest is, well, tacoma :lol:
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I lived there for 10 years, never really bothered me.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I'm from Chicago...moved to Arizona 5 years ago. While the culture here in AZ sucks ass, the weather is amazing! I've spent a lot of time in the NW and I know for a fact I'd lose my mind.
    We have 300+ days of sunshine here and I LOVE it. On the rare occasion it's cloudy for multiple days...I reallly start to feel it. :( :D
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,729
    Jason P wrote:

I totally agree, Jason P. I've lived in Western WA, CA and Western NY State and overall I give Western Washington thumbs up for weather. We've had an unusually cool and damp spring here in Northern CA this year and it's the best lush, green spring I can remember here. People are griping like crazy but they won't when the water still flows from the taps come August and September. New York on Lake Erie was nice from May through September but winter... I remember a few -60F (with wind chill) Winter nights. Brrr!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,435
    holy shit people there is a giant fireball in the sky....wait wait, it's the SUN!!!! after 6 days sun is now shining again in Philly. so good to see.
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    My grass is literally 10 inches tall here in Erie,PA. It rains all day, every day. This after seven months of winter. I think the sun has officially checked out of here for good.