Options

Must try these beers while in WI for PJ20

jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
edited September 2011 in The Porch
Suggest some beers for those who have only tried Wisconsin's crap beers like, Milwaukee's Best, Miller, and Pabst etc. (Although I love High life and PBR)

1. Spotted Cow from New Glarus Brewing Co.
2. Riverwest Stein (Lakefront brewery)

My two favorite beers that you must try. Lakefront is in Milwaukee if you are in the city and have time to take a tour. Otherwise Sprecher has a lot of good beers. I tend to stay away from Leinenkugels.
"There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    Lake Louie makes awesome beer. If you see Lupulin Maximus from O'so Brewing, you have to try it. Good stuff also comes out of Tyranena. Even though they aren't my favorites, Capital Brewing, Central Waters, and Furthermore make some decent brews.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    really looking fwd to the Spotted Cow..keep hearing great things!
    I hope it lives up to its reputation :D
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    good thread OP, i am planning on visiting New Glarus on Saturday mid-day for brief tour and stock up on their suds. i have had exactly one bottle of their beers (spotted cow) and was very impressed. if the shows are early evening starts, i should be fine. any other craft beer spots closer to alpine resort area???
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
    Fort Worth, Night 1 September 2023
    Fort Worth, Night 2 September 2023
    Austin, Night 1 September 2023
    Austin, Night 2 September 2023
  • Options
    Capitol City Brewery any beer there
    Leinenkugel Brewery
    Spotted cow is awesome
  • Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    RFTC wrote:
    good thread OP, i am planning on visiting New Glarus on Saturday mid-day for brief tour and stock up on their suds. i have had exactly one bottle of their beers (spotted cow) and was very impressed. if the shows are early evening starts, i should be fine. any other craft beer spots closer to alpine resort area???

The closest I know of are in Milwaukee. The Sprecher and Lakefront Brewery both have amazing beers. The Lakefront tour is pretty small but it has the best beer in my opinion. Sprecher has a much better tour and they have different root beer and a gift shop.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    Ms. Wes C.addleMs. Wes C.addle Posts: 2,559
    I could bring a kegger of Point Special.

Oh wait, everyone will be sure to hate me come morning as they are exploding in the nearest port-o-shit.
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    A friend of a friend brought some Wisconsin beer to him. He gave me a Spotted Cow and another beer from the same brewery which was something Squirrel. I liked the Squirrel better. Does anyone know the name of that beer?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    letsongsprotestletsongsprotest Novi, MI Posts: 548
    I will be sure to try them all while there. Not just the Wisconsin beers mentioned, but ALL Wisconsin beers! :)
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Options
    TeddyledbetterTeddyledbetter Seattle, WA Posts: 474
    A friend of a friend brought some Wisconsin beer to him. He gave me a Spotted Cow and another beer from the same brewery which was something Squirrel. I liked the Squirrel better. Does anyone know the name of that beer?

It's Fat Squirrel - It's made by New Glarus also link below.

http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/

Just a bit south east of Madison in a Swedish Community- Brewery is small but they give a nice glass with your free beers after the tour.

(Oh and I did inquire of a seasonal beer for PJ 20) Sign the guestbook and ask for it!
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419

Just a bit south east of Madison in a Swedish Community- Brewery is small but they give a nice glass with your free beers after the tour.

(Oh and I did inquire of a seasonal beer for PJ 20) Sign the guestbook and ask for it!

Thank you, and that was it.... Fat Squirrel. I will check out the website.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    My buddy brought back some Spotted Cow from there not long ago.....Good stuff
  • Options
    wiscojamwiscojam Appleton Posts: 323
    Fat Squirrel is great.

• Options
    wiscojamwiscojam Appleton Posts: 323
    Here are some Breweries I recommend. Beer tastes vary, but most of the beers these breweries carry are good:

Ale Assylum
    New Glarus
    Lake Front
    Sprecher
    Capital

Don't forget, Labor Day weekend is a perfect time for fresh Oktoberfest brews
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,181
    Lakefront is great, took the brewery tour there as part of a friend's bachelor party. Highly recommended.
  • Options
    SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411

Oh wait, everyone will be sure to hate me come morning as they are exploding in the nearest port-o-shit.

know it well....went to St. Norbert and this was often a weekend staple
  • Options
    gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,558
    leinenkugel summer shandy is a little slice of heaven
  • Options
    Ms. Wes C.addleMs. Wes C.addle Posts: 2,559
    Sawyer wrote:

know it well....went to St. Norbert and this was often a weekend staple
    And you lived to tell about it. Well done. ;)
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,696
    Rhinelander! $3.69 a case back in the day. If I think about the taste, I can urp up in my mouth.
  • Options
    JiggsJiggs Posts: 94
    Great Lakes Distillery might be worth a look too! Rehorst Vodka and Gin, Roaring Dan Rum, and Kinnickinnic Whiskey all good stuff and a great story.

www.greatlakesdistillery.com

2 tours a day M-T, and 3 tours Friday and Saturday. I'm sure with a group of 10 or so you could give a call and get a private tour as welll.
    Coffee in the Morning, Beer at Night
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    gndcd402 wrote:
    That barely qualifies as a beer :ugeek:
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    Pearl Jam_iePearl Jam_ie Posts: 821
    Just make sure to try more than just Spotted Cow from New Glarus. Yokel, Fat Squirrel, and Totally Naked are some good ones too. I love Snowshoe Ale and Uff-da also, but don't think you'll get 'em in September.

Can't have beer without bratwust too. Boil those puppies in some brew and brown 'em up on the grill!
    "In certain trying circumstances...profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
  • Options
    sigh eternallysigh eternally Chicago Posts: 421
    BeerBaron wrote:
    gndcd402 wrote:
    That barely qualifies as a beer :ugeek:

Word.

Make use of being in the Midwest and try beers from three of the best: Founders, Bell's, and Great Lakes Brewing Co. I've never had a beer from any of these that I have not enjoyed. Founders in particular is just fucking outstanding.
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089

Word.

Make use of being in the Midwest and try beers from three of the best: Founders, Bell's, and Great Lakes Brewing Co. I've never had a beer from any of these that I have not enjoyed. Founders in particular is just fucking outstanding.
    I won't deny that Leinenkugels has some tasty beer, but most of their stuff if heavily flavoured, post-brew. That includes Sunset Wheat, Summer Shandy, Fireside Brown, etc. If you are new to craft beer, they are a decent place to start. If you aren't new to craft beer, there are WAY better breweries you can seek out. As some have already mentioned, New Glarus is the class of Wisconsin. Central Waters is excellent too. Aside from that, I would seek out some of the stuff that sigh eternally mentioned above. Founders is the best brewery out there IMO.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    lucygypsylucygypsy Posts: 99
    nice thread. me likey
  • Options
    donnystancatodonnystancato Posts: 160
    gndcd402 wrote:

I love it, but I really enjoy it in the can more than a bottle :o:o
    those bold boys,and there beautiful boats
  • Options
    donnystancatodonnystancato Posts: 160
    these are my favorite (best) summer beers In WI

1. leinenkugel summer shandy
    2. new glarus Totally Naked
    3. point beer nude beach

trust me :D
    those bold boys,and there beautiful boats
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012

New Glarus is a Swiss community. The brewery that you can tour is on the top of a hill. It was built in the past few years. It is one of the best settings that I have found. There are also some good tasty Swiss restaurants and cheese/ chocolate shops.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,383
    What a great thread. We should have a different thread for each city they come to. Cheers!
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • Options
    Mike's SideMike's Side Posts: 954
    Count me in for a few pints.
    1996 - Ft Lauderdale
    1998 - West Palm Beach 1
    2000 - West Palm Beach 1&2
    2003 - WPB,Tampa,Atlanta,Camden 1&2,MSG 1&2, Boston 3,Hershey Park
    2004 - Asheville, Kissimmee
    2008 - West Palm Beach,Tampa,Columbia,Virginia Beach, Mansfield 1&2
    2010 - Hartford,Boston,Newark, MSG 1&2
    2011 - PJ20 1&2, Costa Rica