I need to vent about the NFL lockout

2»

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    Personally, I wouldn't mind playing the first few weeks with replacement players. My team is the Dolphins and trust me, I'd take Miami's replacement players vs. New England's replacement players before I'd take Miami's real players vs. New England's real players.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,395
    I loved the 1960 Eagles throwback they wore ONCE this past season. Kelly Green for the win.

Pretty sure they lost that game, but they looked good doing it.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I need to vent as well.

I can not go through a long Wisconsin winter without creaming over Matthews in spandex.

Thank you.

I couldn't have said it better myself!! (Yep I'm a diehard Chicago Packer-backer) Although now that his little bro is playing for the Eagles I think I'm going to get much more interested in their games as well! :lol:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,679
    JTH wrote:
    Do you Bills fans know anything about the team's new uniform unveiling that they announced a while back? Did that get postponed?

They probably think it would be in bad taste to do something like that during the lockout, but if you ask me, it would be a good move. IT would be their way of saying, "Look, there might not be a season, but at least when we DO come back, we'll be wearing this instead of those godawful eyesores we've been trotting out for a decade or so."

They said they either wouldnt or couldnt unveil them until there is a CBA.

it makes sense because they will likely make a live event out of it and roll all the players' jerseys out for sale and cash in on the excitement. I wonder if there is an issue now using players' likenesses and ordering new merchandise other than what they have on the shelves.

As listed before is the oft rumored look. I like it, but Im a bigger fan of the retro uniforms they have been using as an alternate the past few seasons.

they are installing a new field now and the end zones will be blue which should also be an improvement (I miss the red end zones)
  • Screw all of this greed. Especially the owners.

Here's to college football. They get paid but can't have a lockout or strike. :)
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,595
    I loved the 1960 Eagles throwback they wore ONCE this past season. Kelly Green for the win.

agreed. love the kelly green. i'd prefer more of the 70's/80's eras jerseys and helmets to that one though.
    www.myspace.com
    Screw all of this greed. Especially the owners.

Here's to college football. They get paid but can't have a lockout or strike. :)

....or a legitimate playoff system. :thumbup: :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Wow....nobody is going to win with this mess. Perhaps its time to start a new league

XFL anybody?

Is that joke still going??
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I am also a Bills fan.

Im not paying too much attention to it. I have put myself in a frame of mind where I dont care if there is a season or not. Itll suck not going to some games and awesome tailgate parties, but I can deal.

I also dont watch ESPN at all so I am not exposed to anything NFL.

So I havent been getting too upset.

These are my feelings exactly (about NFL and ESPN). I'd also add that Goodell is the worst commish is sports history. He ruins the NFL more every day he's in charge.

Only thing I will miss is betting on the games

Wake me when this is resolved.

Yeah, it was vs GB on opening weekend.

the Fixer splurged on a Celek throwback. They are awesome
  • DURPDURP Posts: 2,180
    MayDay10 wrote:

They said they either wouldnt or couldnt unveil them until there is a CBA.

it makes sense because they will likely make a live event out of it and roll all the players' jerseys out for sale and cash in on the excitement. I wonder if there is an issue now using players' likenesses and ordering new merchandise other than what they have on the shelves.

As listed before is the oft rumored look. I like it, but Im a bigger fan of the retro uniforms they have been using as an alternate the past few seasons.

they are installing a new field now and the end zones will be blue which should also be an improvement (I miss the red end zones)

Yes i miss the old red end zones as well.

I think they are going to the white helmets so ol cheap ass ralphie only has to buy one helmet now instead of two. Just replace the decals when they wear throwbacks.
    My butt itches!
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    The Fixer wrote:
    I'd also add that Goodell is the worst commish is sports history. He ruins the NFL more every day he's in charge.
    Gary Bettman demands that you retract that statement.
    JTH wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    I'd also add that Goodell is the worst commish is sports history. He ruins the NFL more every day he's in charge.
    Gary Bettman demands that you retract that statement.

Not saying bettman is good, but his implementation of the salary cap was great for the NHL. that's far more productive than anything Goodell has done.
    I love cris collinsworth. I disagree that the NFL product has never been better, but he makes some good points. Goodell is gonna fuck this up royally.

From Peter King...

A smart arbiter looks at the labor endgame. And it's not pretty

I want to start today with a guy who can be a fair referee to both players and owners. He was a player, a very good one, and now he's close to lots of players, and to key people on both sides. He's part jock, part lawyer, part E.F. Hutton. And one great color man. And he has a thoughtful, plaintive wail for everyone in this labor mess:

"Is this really what we want -- judges determining so much about the future of the National Football League?'' Cris Collinsworth said over the weekend. "We've got the greatest game in the world here in a time of incredible wealth, and we're in a position where that very possibly can be changed forever here very soon. And I'm just asking: Why?''

The other day, I noticed Collinsworth had written on his website, footballpros.com, and tweeted that his best guess for the start of the NFL season was early November. Then there'd be a nine- or 10-game regular season, then the same number of playoff games. So I reached out to him to see what he meant.

This disclaimer right up front: I've known Collinsworth since 1984, when I covered him on the Bengals in Cincinnati. Now I work with Collinsworth and consider him a friend. We've beaten each other up on many topics over the years, but that's why I like him. I can tell him he's nuts, and usually he likes it; we did it a lot at HBO and then NBC before he left the studio and went into the play-by-play booth. But I understand if you're sitting there thinking I'm not going to be impartial or I'm going to paint Collinsworth in a good way. I am -- but that's because what he's saying makes a lot of sense.

Collinsworth's point is an interesting one. He thinks the appeals court will side with the owners and the current lockout will stay in place. If it does, neither side will be supremely motivated to move; the owners will figure they've already made a strong offer (the March 11 offer) and will wait for the players to budge. But the players, on a tremendous streak in the courts right now, will figure they've made sound arguments in front of a mediator in Washington and judges in Minneapolis, and even if the lockout stays legal, their antitrust case will have a good chance in the Eighth Circuit.

And the players won't blink until they start missing paychecks. Collinsworth saw it twice as a player, in 1982 and 1987. "The only thing I'm absolutely certain of,'' he told me, "is that there will be players broke by the middle of September. There will be pressure to make a deal. But there will be pressure by owners too. They've got payments to make too -- stadium mortgages.''

Collinsworth gives them three or four weeks to make a deal. Then a week of free agency, signing undrafted college players and unsigned veterans. Two weeks of camp. One preseason game. Then the season starts, either on Oct. 30 or Nov. 6.

But if that scenario doesn't happen, and if the two sides stay in a cold war, what happens if, say, a season is missed? Here's where it gets hairy, and where we have to start wondering which way the game will go. In Brady v. the NFL, the players argue for a new way of doing football business. No draft. Free agency for every unsigned player. What would the NFL look like if every player and every team were allowed to make its own business decisions that would, of course, be in the best interests of each?

Say the TV contracts were abolished and teams could make their own deals. "If the Cowboys could sell their rights, maybe they'd get $500 million a year, and maybe the Bengals would get $50 [million],'' he said.

Say Peyton Manning could sign anywhere. Could some owners field super teams and some field Kansas City Royal-type teams?

Say there was no draft. It's every player for himself. Collinsworth isn't even sure that's the worst thing. Nor am I. But it'd certainly be revolutionary.

And say drug-testing was abolished.

How many doors do you want to open?

"It's possible the structure of the game could change forever,'' he said. "Now, game after game after game, week after week after week, goes down to the wire. The pro game could become like college football -- 55-14 most games, with four or five tremendous games of national interest every year. Now we have that many every week.''

There's no guarantee Collinsworth's right. I remember the late George Young, the Giants' longtime GM, railing against free agency for years as the '80s ended and a free market was inevitable. "We're not like baseball,'' he said. "You can't just plug in a guard the way you plug in a second baseman. Guards can have much different responsibilities depending on what team they're on.''

True. But it worked out fine. Free agency's been a boon. And not only hasn't it hurt the competitive balance of the game, but also it's given the league another hot-stove month of the offseason when football's in the headlines. Traditionally, the combine's big for the last two weeks of February, free agency big for March, the draft for April, offseason workouts for six weeks in May and June, and then training camps begin at the end of July.

So I'm not sure the death of the draft would be the death of competitive balance. Teams would figure it out the same way they figured out how to replenish the roster when losing unsigned vets.

But if players take this all the way in the courts, and win, and change the game forever, what would stop Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder from becoming the Steinbrenners and John Henry? (If baseball had a franchise player designation, Adrian Gonzalez would be a Padre for life, not tearing up the American League for Boston right now.) There'd be nothing to stop Jones, with a monster TV network, from having a $250-million payroll. Similar to baseball, the bottom-feeder NFL teams would struggle. Dallas might have five minimum-salary special-teamers. Cincinnati might have 20, and some might start.

The question is: Would that make the game better?

Collinsworth, at times in our conversation, sounded like he sounds when he gets strident -- like he's throttling the microphone and would do anything to make you see his point.

"God, I just wish I could get through to somebody,'' he said. "You know how when you're talking to your kids, and you know positively what the right thing to do is, and you also know they're going to do something else, and there's nothing you can do about it? That's how I feel now. And, God, is it painful to watch.

"The game's so good. The players are making money. The owners are making money. The commissioner's got some good safety initiatives going. The networks are thrilled. The fans are thrilled. The game's never been better. It's time to quit sugarcoating this thing and really start thinking about what the NFL really might look like at the end of the process.''
    Goodell has been nothing but a fuck up since day one.
    My butt itches!
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,435
    The Fixer wrote:

Yeah, it was vs GB on opening weekend.

the Fixer splurged on a Celek throwback. They are awesome

Jeffry Lurie's wallet thanks you. keep buying those jerseys up, especially for those guys who will be around for a whole 3 or 4 years :roll: :roll: :roll:
    I have two Football jerseys.

One is a Jack Kemp that i wear.

The other is Jim Kelly that i had him autograph at a golf event in NY it is personalized to me it is awesome and i love it.

I learned my lesson the hard way with current players. I had a Clements jersey for one season i thought there is no way the Bills will let him go. DURP DURP DURP i should of known that Cheap Ass Wilson wouldn't resign a player who produced.

Past greats for your team are the only way to go if you buy a jersey.
    My butt itches!
    DURP wrote:

The other is Jim Kelly that i had him autograph at a golf event in NY it is personalized to me it is awesome and i love it.

I learned my lesson the hard way with current players. I had a Clements jersey for one season i thought there is no way the Bills will let him go. DURP DURP DURP i should of known that Cheap Ass Wilson wouldn't resign a player who produced.

Past greats for your team are the only way to go if you buy a jersey

i would agree with you here. pjhawks has an odd hatred for all things jerseys though. don't understand it.

durp durp durp...haha
    www.myspace.com
    DURP wrote:

i would agree with you here. pjhawks has an odd hatred for all things jerseys though. don't understand it.

durp durp durp...haha

I had a chinese website that sold the stitched reebok jerseys for $35 including shipping. No big deal
    The Fixer wrote:
    DURP wrote:

durp durp durp...haha

I had a chinese website that sold the stitched reebok jerseys for $35 including shipping. No big deal

i know the website. i just would feel weird wearing a guy's jersey who's like 10 years younger than me.
    www.myspace.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    good article.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,435
    DURP wrote:

durp durp durp...haha

Jaegs i somewhat understand buying jerseys of superstars and hall of fame type players, but brent celek? really, come on now. i love to go places and search out the worst jersey anyone has (detmer's or hoying anyone?). buying jerseys of fringe players is absurd.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    The Fixer wrote:
    DURP wrote:

durp durp durp...haha

Link..?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    pjhawks wrote:
    DURP wrote:

durp durp durp...haha

Jaegs i somewhat understand buying jerseys of superstars and hall of fame type players, but brent celek? really, come on now. i love to go places and search out the worst jersey anyone has (detmer's or hoying anyone?). buying jerseys of fringe players is absurd.

as long as the player in on the current roster and a starter, who cares?

I like defensive guys better but the eagles don't give you many options. Celek is solid. Much better than a desean jackson or vick jersey.

Next time I'm ready to make a purchase I'll consult you to get your approval :roll:
    The Fixer wrote:

Link..?

THis site looks shady, but it's legit. I think it's illegal because it will shut down periodically. If you order you will receive your goods within a week. Jerseys are sweet.

www.sthcool.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Link..?

THis site looks shady, but it's legit. I think it's illegal because it will shut down periodically. If you order you will receive your goods within a week. Jerseys are sweet.

http://www.sthcool.com

No NCAA jerseys but that ok.
    My butt itches!
    I remember seeing people with Rob Johnson jersey taking a piece of duct tape and writing Bledsoe on it and putting it over Johnson's name.

The Bills should bury the num 11 jersey wait no set it on fire put the ashes in a safe and boat out to the middle of lake Erie and drop the safe and let it sink to the bottom of lake Erie and never give it to anther player again.

In case you're not a Bills fan let's run through the jackasses who have worn number 11 for the Bills

Rob Johnson
    Drew Bledsoe
    Roscoe Parrish
    and the number one guy to wear number 11 that is painful Scott "wide right" Norwood
    My butt itches!
    DURP wrote:
    I remember seeing people with Rob Johnson jersey taking a piece of duct tape and writing Bledsoe on it and putting it over Johnson's name.

The Bills should bury the num 11 jersey wait no set it on fire put the ashes in a safe and boat out to the middle of lake Erie and drop the safe and let it sink to the bottom of lake Erie and never give it to anther player again.

In case you're not a Bills fan let's run through the jackasses who have worn number 11 for the Bills

Rob Johnson
    Drew Bledsoe
    Roscoe Parrish
    and the number one guy to wear number 11 that is painful Scott "wide right" Norwood

Ouch.

They should just retire the number and put 'AIDS' on the back
    The Fixer wrote:
    DURP wrote:

Rob Johnson
    Drew Bledsoe
    Roscoe Parrish

Ouch.

They should just retire the number and put 'AIDS' on the back

:lol:
    My butt itches!