Is one religion more plausible than all the others?

2»

Comments

• Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    unfortunately and fortunately there are millions of people who do believe in religion, IMO most are just concerned with having faith in community and leading a good life. When I went to church, it wasnt to appease the gods, it was that sense of community and faith in being good that attracted me....then my ma died and I lost that feeling...doesnt mean I still dont believe in it.
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    maybe it goes back to when we were 5 years old: My Dad can beat up your Dad. :?:
    to paraphrase George Carlin, 'My gods dick is bigger than your gods dick.'
    #FHP
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Serious question here guys.

I'm trying to understand why exactly Muslims/Mormons/Christians/Jews/etc. all inherently believe that their religion is is more plausible than the others.

Especially these four religions, since they all believe in and worship the same deity, however, all claim that the others are either missing something, or diluted/misguided.

Also, what makes Judaism, or Christianity, or Hinduism, or any modern religion more plausible than, say, Greek mythology?

Healthy and robust discussion and dialogue is encouraged.

I also posted this in a thread in aMT, but I thought it might be relevant to your post:

Are there as many forms of the devil as there are religions in the world?
    Do most religions even recognize a devil?

It seems that there are so many religions and so many Gods, but the devil has remained somewhat consistent through the centuries. Something to think about... Maybe we spend too much time on Gods, and all the while, we are creating our own devils, death, destruction, and wars. :twisted:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    edited May 2011
    You know, I read this thread earlier today. I didn't have anything to post. Until a few interesting thoughts came to me...bear with me...just wandering thoughts.... :think:

What if we had no religion? What if we had not anthropological distinctions between us? What if there were no genders? What if there were no hierarchy? What if there was no money?

(OK, so we would be worms! :lol: )

Seriously though, would we still then still create wars? Would we still discriminate? Would we still bash another to be on top? Would we still categorize some as the weaker sex?

I wonder how much more compassionate to each other we would be if we recognized how we are all entrenched in religion, race, gender and power and greed...would we be more forgiving of the world's shortcomings?

I think I would like to be a worm :think: :lol:
    Post edited by ShimmyMommy on
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276

until the robin comes along. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

until the robin comes along. :lol:

:lol: Good one 81. :clap:

You know, I would be very pleased if the robin came along...I would not have to ponder anything at all then. :lol:
    You know, I read this thread earlier today. I didn't have anything to post. Until a few interesting thoughts came to me...bear with me...just wandering thoughts.... :think:

What if we had no religion? What if we had not anthropological distinctions between us? What if there were no genders? What if there were no hierarchy? What if there was no money?

Seriously though, would we still then still create wars? Would we still discriminate? Would we still bash another to be on top? Would we still categorize some as the weaker sex?

I wonder how much more compassionate to each other we would be if we recognized how we are all entrenched in religion, race, gender and power and greed...would we be more forgiving of the world's shortcomings?

You have some thoughtful ideas.. That's kinda what I was getting at in a round-about way. We spend so much time dividing ourselves through religion, that the only thing left that is consistent is what works against religion (ie, the devil?, or maybe just the divide amongst people?)

You make me wonder...what if there were no distinctions between us, or if we chose to keep our religions personal, (three's separation of church and state, why not separation of church and person?) Isnt religion a personal thing? Damn, now i'm rambling.. I'll be a worm too. ;)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)

You have some thoughtful ideas.. That's kinda what I was getting at in a round-about way. We spend so much time dividing ourselves through religion, that the only thing left that is consistent is what works against religion (ie, the devil?, or maybe just the divide amongst people?)

You make me wonder...what if there were no distinctions between us, or if we chose to keep our religions personal, (three's separation of church and state, why not separation of church and person?) Isnt religion a personal thing? Damn, now i'm rambling.. I'll be a worm too. ;)

No you are not rambling. :D Religion isn't a personal thing. It's a community thing. Instruction is given and one follows. Spirituality is an individual thing. Only you can be made aware of your soul through your own experiences because no one can teach you how to be. You just are. Am I making sense? :?

No you are not rambling. :D Religion isn't a personal thing. It's a community thing. Instruction is given and one follows. Spirituality is an individual thing. Only you can be made aware of your soul through your own experiences because no one can teach you how to be. You just are. Am I making sense? :?

Yes! that makes perfect sense. You are right about community vs. individual. That makes me think how often religion is geographical as well. And also, I wonder how many people who are devout and highly spiritual are the same as their parents.. :?:
    I like to keep my religion and spirituality very personal, so that I am more accepting (I try to be) of others, and i think that could benefit a lot of people, instead of forcing it out there on others.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,976
    Right, her in Merica, its a god given RIGHT of freedom OF religion.

I think the flip is equally true too. That I also have the freedom FROM religion.

Spirituality on the other hand is a whole nother deal.

True statement. Religion has spirituality as a part of it. Sprituality doesnt have to have religion as a part of it.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,679

I think there are still variables that could possibly spur fighting:

Currency, food, water, geographical location/resources, geographical location/land mass, power, artificial marking of people (branding, tats, haircuts), you name it and I think humans will find the circumstances to kill each other.
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Right, her in Merica, its a god given RIGHT of freedom OF religion.

I think the flip is equally true too. That I also have the freedom FROM religion.

Spirituality on the other hand is a whole nother deal.

True statement. Religion has spirituality as a part of it. Sprituality doesnt have to have religion as a part of it.

That's exactly how I feel about Religion. It is a way to reach the spiritual path. When you get on the path, then you can choose to discard religion if you want.
    MayDay10 wrote:

Currency, food, water, geographical location/resources, geographical location/land mass, power, artificial marking of people (branding, tats, haircuts), you name it and I think humans will find the circumstances to kill each other.

I can understand your point. A very valid one too.

In my eyes, though, when we reach a point of spiritual connection, issues like that take care of themselves. We won't have to fight for them, as we will see each other as equal beings who have to share the planet, not divide it up. It's up to each of us to decide if we want to be part of a world that is divided. Just my thoughts. :D
  • jmurrayjmurray Posts: 3,538
    What about the flying spaghetti monster? You know the pastafarians.

I believe in hedonism.

More pirates!
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    MayDay10 wrote:

I have to disagree...take a look at Japan...what happened after the earthquake and tsunami? People banded together, and helped each other, people would sit and make chopsticks for everybody in the shelters, there was hardly any looting or theft. When stores got a shipment of food in, people calmly lined up to purchase food, if they ran out, people just calmly left and came back the next day.

I looked up if Japan had any type of 'religion'...no, they don't. They have a 'spirituality' they follow: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinto
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

I have to disagree...take a look at Japan...what happened after the earthquake and tsunami? People banded together, and helped each other, people would sit and make chopsticks for everybody in the shelters, there was hardly any looting or theft. When stores got a shipment of food in, people calmly lined up to purchase food, if they ran out, people just calmly left and came back the next day.

I looked up if Japan had any type of 'religion'...no, they don't. They have a 'spirituality' they follow: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinto

:thumbup: :clap:
    Exactly my point RKCNDY. :D Spirituality connects us all, whether a person recognizes this or not. There is no lack when we are aware of our spiritual connection, therefore no need to compete or dominate one another. When we know we are spiritual, we have the choice if we want to be responsible for what divides us or unifies us. Most who are aware of this universal spiritual connection usually choose to be catalysts that bring unity.