Is one religion more plausible than all the others?

Chip McFlenniganChip McFlennigan Posts: 1,162
edited May 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Serious question here guys.

I'm trying to understand why exactly Muslims/Mormons/Christians/Jews/etc. all inherently believe that their religion is is more plausible than the others.

Especially these four religions, since they all believe in and worship the same deity, however, all claim that the others are either missing something, or diluted/misguided.

Also, what makes Judaism, or Christianity, or Hinduism, or any modern religion more plausible than, say, Greek mythology?

Healthy and robust discussion and dialogue is encouraged.
I knew it all along, see?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,976
    I know nothing about plausibility, but I think its simply a question of an individuals faith in xyz.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    What about the flying spaghetti monster? You know the pastafarians.

I believe in hedonism.
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Faith for $300 Alex.
  • brother123brother123 Posts: 792
    all religion is horseshit in all honesty

It's just a bunch of stories like children's books, all made up with a silly character.
  • Chip McFlenniganChip McFlennigan Posts: 1,162
    brother123 wrote:
    all religion is horseshit in all honesty

It's just a bunch of stories like children's books, all made up with a silly character.

Zeus is NOT silly.
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Peyotism. Yes.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    My religion and only my religion is the most plausible.

(That's a joke. And it's one of the things that makes me crazy about religion - the whole idea that one is better than the other. Whatever works for you, that's what I think. It's YOUR business, not mine. Be whatever you want to be. Or be an atheist.)

I think you've got a good point about Greek mythology. Why should that be considered different?
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    This is the number one thing for me why I'm not sure whether or not I believe in god, or any kind of religion.

How can there be so many different religions and gods and each one of them are considered "the right one" to them. Obviously there can only be one right?

Or even more obvious, if they're all right, then obviously theyre all fake.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I don't think plausibility has anything to do with what many people choose. It seems like people choose their religion for social reasons more than anything else.

(What family and culture are they born into and do they stay with it or move to something else to get away?)

The choice doesn't seem rational but emotional instead.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam wrote:
    I don't think plausibility has anything to do with what many people choose. It seems like people choose their religion for social reasons more than anything else.

(What family and culture are they born into and do they stay with it or move to something else to get away?)

The choice doesn't seem rational but emotional instead.

On the contrary, I think people choose Mormonism because it's the truth, and all the other religions because Satan tricks those people.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Ah.
    :lol:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    Ibtm
    I'll be back
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Shouldn't this be on Moving Train? Normally I don't care about this stuff, but when I come to the AET, I wanna read about people complaining about their jobs, bitching about the Phillies, and looking at funny GIFs.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    Scientology.. Because Tom Cruise was in an inverted dive with a mig-28
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
    Shouldn't this be on Moving Train? Normally I don't care about this stuff, but when I come to the AET, I wanna read about people complaining about their jobs, bitching about the Phillies, and looking at funny GIFs.

And yet, you clicked on a clearly marked religion thread instead.

Maybe god sent you here. Too bad he won't be sending Boston to the World Series anytime soon.
  • small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691

Maybe god sent you here. Too bad he won't be sending Boston to the World Series anytime soon.

I wish he'd send the Oilers to the Stanley Cup final....hell even the play-offs would be a start :lol:
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626

It's because all of your threads have a certain trainwreck quality about them. I don't wanna see it, but I can't look away.

Yeah, my team needs a little divine intervention right now.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Trainwreck? You mean like the Red Sox in general?

You wish you'd started the Hipster Kitty thread. Leave the jealousy at Fenway. Lord knows there's plenty there to go around.

But hey, at least they're not the Mariners, right?
  • All hail the god of SUTH.

He is the all powerful and only true supreme taco being.
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329

You wish you'd started the Hipster Kitty thread. Leave the jealousy at Fenway. Lord knows there's plenty there to go around.

True, or the South Jersey Hamonton Mauraders. ;)

That's why I said ibtmove
    I'll be back
    Wilds wrote:

True, or the South Jersey Hamonton Mauraders. ;)

Epic pwnage. Touche.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Epic and pwnage...too words that should be banned from the bible.

i've always thought the bible should be stored in the fiction section next to the quran.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Epic and pwnage...too words that should be banned from the bible.

i've always thought the bible should be stored in the fiction section next to the quran.

What's funny is, a lot of young atheists love to bash the Bible, but bashing the Qu'ran offends the shit out of them.

Disingenuous pansies.

I agree with 81, they're both full of antiquated fables IMO.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    maybe it goes back to when we were 5 years old: My Dad can beat up your Dad. :?:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    maybe it goes back to when we were 5 years old: My Dad can beat up your Dad. :?:

i miss those days. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    I'm reporting this thread to the mods. :-)
    I'll be back
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    If your not Catholic, your going to burn in a lake of fire for all of Eternity, it's really very simple.
    I'm reporting this thread to the mods. :-)

it looks better at sentencing day if you self report
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I think fear plays a key role in all of this and puts logic temporarily on the backburner in some situations. They take the what if's and let what the negative outcome could be, turn into an 'I'm not going to let that happen' scenario. Whether it be about the afterlife, way of physical life, morals of life, etc. Therefore they accept the stories as a truthful way of life and don't even question it because of the what if factors and don't want to find out to be safe. That can then spread into loved ones, or further down the line into discussions because they dive so deep they just don't want to be wrong with what they've decided on. Obviously this isn't everyone, but I've had a few chats where that seems to be what's going on in their thought process.