Onwords

2»

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    "ya know what I'm saying"

usually spoken by someone with very few teeth and not the greatest command of the language

my response is, of course "no. i have no fucking idea what you are saying."

that is usually met with a blank stare
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    Also, my mom has begun saying 'so' and 'well' way too much in conversation

Mom: SO BLAH BLAH. SOOOO BLAH BLAH, SOOOO. BLAH BLAH, SO BLAH.

Me: Stop saying so so much.

Mom: Well.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,693
    justam wrote:
    I don't like it when advertisers make up fake words that are unnecessary. For example, there's a cable company pushing the word "More-dinary" .

If people are going to make up words, I think they ought to at the very least be amusing or sound good!! :twisted:

I totally agree! Like "Onwords"- oh brother- who came up with that lame idea?

Oh wait... ahh...

well, ok, but it is a little clever... maybe... :oops:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    norm wrote:
    "ya know what I'm saying"

usually spoken by someone with very few teeth and not the greatest command of the language

my response is, of course "no. i have no fucking idea what you are saying."

that is usually met with a blank stare

:lol:

i met some chick from florida that moved to chicago to stalk Billy Corrigan. no joke, every other group of words out of her mouth were, "you know what i'm sayin". after about the 10th time, i said no. she just kept going. other than the crazy part, she was bangable. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    i don't think i'm really sticking to the actual intended topic..but the gf always says "honky dory"....it's hunky, dear.
    But I don't tell her, I just about split my guts laughing on the inside when she says it though

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    RKCNDY wrote:
    not one specific word...but I *hate* it when people throw in an 'R' or 'L' (or other random letter) into words...

'Seattle is in WaRshington State'
    'I'm gonna waRsh my hands'
    'I'm gonna drawL a pretty picture'

and bad grammar sometimes gets to me...
    'I gots to gets me something to drink'
    I'm this way too. The worst one i hear a lot is chicaRgo

Jerry Remy drives me crazy on the sox games....

Pedroia-r
    Amica-r
    Matsuzaka-r
    Okajima-r

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    RKCNDY wrote:
    not one specific word...but I *hate* it when people throw in an 'R' or 'L' (or other random letter) into words...

'I'm gonna drawL a pretty picture'

and bad grammar sometimes gets to me...
    'I gots to gets me something to drink'
    I'm this way too. The worst one i hear a lot is chicaRgo

Jerry Remy drives me crazy on the sox games....

Pedroia-r
    Amica-r
    Matsuzaka-r
    Okajima-r

illanoise
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Another common one:

"How are you doing?"

"I'm good."

"I know, but how are you doing."

"Oh, yeah, um, I'm well, thank you!"

or

"How was your test."

"Oh, I did good!"

"Well yes, I know you are a philanthropist, but how did your test go?"

"Oh, yeah, I see. It went well, thank you!"
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    "We all go threw rough times with the silly children and they have there ups and downs with us"

^^actually saw this post on facebook this morning and immediately thought of this thread. These types of things irritate me to death. Comments were "amen" and "so true gurl". omg. :roll:
  • pinkbutterflypinkbutterfly Posts: 1,391
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    this is more of a grammatical complaint than a word complaint.

I cringe when I hear/see someone say:

"I seen it"

Now, I am no grammer expert, but that to me just sounds terrible. And it seems to be creeping into common use more and more, and by people, who up until that comes out of their mouth, I would think are intelligent. Worse than when I hear "I axed a question".

Proper use is "I HAVE seen it" or even "I've seen it" or "I saw it".

Those make me cringe, too. My own husband says "I seen", just to irk me. :roll:

I had a childhood friend that would say "I'll have to ax my mother" Move over, Lizzie Borden, lol

And, don't get me started on the misuse of plurals and possessives.
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • pinkbutterflypinkbutterfly Posts: 1,391
    RKCNDY wrote:

'I'm gonna drawL a pretty picture''

Speaking of adding an R to words ~ I'm wondering if it's a NJ/NY thing (?). Growing up, my family said "warsh". Although, I later corrected myself, once I realized it was wrong.

*And, whenever I hear Billy Joel's 'Scenes from an Italian Restaurant', it sounds like he's singing "Brender and Eddie". I also used to hear Rudy Guiliani on TV, refer to his ex-wife as "Donner", which I didn't realize till now, lol, sounds especially funny considering his name is Rudolph.

:lol: Here I am criticizing people, when I just started a sentence with the word AND.* (not proper)
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    I hate the common use of 'gurl' and 'boi' WTF it's not even an abbreviation, its just lazy :x

My main pet peeve is the use of 'you's' - which is widely used in NZ - "Are you's coming to the concert?" :evil:
    We are not sheep (shut up Aussies).
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    RKCNDY wrote:

'I'm gonna drawL a pretty picture''

Speaking of adding an R to words ~ I'm wondering if it's a NJ/NY thing (?). Growing up, my family said "warsh". Although, I later corrected myself, once I realized it was wrong.

*And, whenever I hear Billy Joel's 'Scenes from an Italian Restaurant', it sounds like he's singing "Brender and Eddie". I also used to hear Rudy Guiliani on TV, refer to his ex-wife as "Donner", which I didn't realize till now, lol, sounds especially funny considering his name is Rudolph.

:lol: Here I am criticizing people, when I just started a sentence with the word AND.* (not proper)

It could be a east coast thing...but many native Washingtonians still toss in R's and L's....must be a country bumpkin thing. :?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    Onomatopoeia: a word that imitates the sound it represents. This is such a cool verbal concept-like "murmur", "whack" and "zing".

• GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    My mom says some gems:

"Shit a meat axe" (pleasant imagines there!)
    "Umbreller"
    "ya know?" (at the end of 90% of her sentences)
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    edited July 2011
    i hate the word- Deluge...

what a pretenious way to say drench
    Post edited by davidtrios on
  • Davidtrios wrote:

what a pretenious to say drench

There is freedom within, there is freedom without... Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9gKyRmic20&ob=av2e
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    my parents say 'warsh' and 'warsher' instead of wash and washer. Kills me. :lol:
    Davidtrios wrote:

what a pretenious way to say drench

This reminds me of George Carlin's thoughts on euphemisms:

"I don't like words that hide the truth. I don't words that conceal reality. I don't like euphemisms, or euphemistic language. And American English is loaded with euphemisms. Cause Americans have a lot of trouble dealing with reality. Americans have trouble facing the truth, so they invent the kind of a soft language to protest themselves from it, and it gets worse with every generation. For some reason, it just keeps getting worse. I'll give you an example of that. There's a condition in combat. Most people know about it. It's when a fighting person's nervous system has been stressed to it's absolute peak and maximum. Can't take anymore input. The nervous system has either (click) snapped or is about to snap. In the first world war, that condition was called shell shock. Simple, honest, direct language. Two syllables, shell shock. Almost sounds like the guns themselves. That was seventy years ago. Then a whole generation went by and the second world war came along and very same combat condition was called battle fatigue. Four syllables now. Takes a little longer to say. Doesn't seem to hurt as much. Fatigue is a nicer word than shock. Shell shock! Battle fatigue. Then we had the war in Korea, 1950. Madison avenue was riding high by that time, and the very same combat condition was called operational exhaustion. Hey, were up to eight syllables now! And the humanity has been squeezed completely out of the phrase. It's totally sterile now. Operational exhaustion. Sounds like something that might happen to your car. Then of course, came the war in Viet Nam, which has only been over for about sixteen or seventeen years, and thanks to the lies and deceits surrounding that war, I guess it's no surprise that the very same condition was called post-traumatic stress disorder. Still eight syllables, but we've added a hyphen! And the pain is completely buried under jargon. Post-traumatic stress disorder. I'll bet you if we'd of still been calling it shell shock, some of those Viet Nam veterans might have gotten the attention they needed at the time. I'll betcha. I'll betcha."

• davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    coitus

it's the most unsexy word ever. isn't it ironic?
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    tinkerbell wrote:
    My main pet peeve is the use of 'you's' - which is widely used in NZ - "Are you's coming to the concert?" :evil:
    We are not sheep (shut up Aussies).

I use this one all the damn time. I grew up on the East Coast and this is a very commonly used word. Now living in the Midwest, I still use it.
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    EmBleve wrote:
    my parents say 'warsh' and 'warsher' instead of wash and washer. Kills me. :lol:
    That drives me crazy too! :x