Onwords

brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,693
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Language is constantly changing. Tell us about new words you like or hate, about words that have changed meaning and what you feel about that, about usage of words that strikes you as funny, irritating, odd, etc.

I'll start with less/fewer. Does your grocery store have a line that says "12 Items or Less"? WRONG! It should say "12 Items or Fewer".
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Horse manure's not that bad. I don't even mind the word manure. It's newer, which is good, and a ma in front of it. Ma-Newer. When you consider the other choices, manure is actually pretty refreshing.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    roads...ro-ads
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • loveontwolegsloveontwolegs Posts: 501
    I cannot stand the word "malt."

I love chocolate malt, with extra malt but to say the word, or hear someone say it is a horrible, terrible noise to me.
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    I have a thing with alot of words, so this is a great thread. :lol: Most recently, my most irritating word to hear is 'EPIC'. Sooo overused.
  • loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,389
    Diva. Women are throwing it around without even knowing what it means.

'Look at this picture of us girls. We're all such Divas'
    No, you're not. Just because you are a girl, doesn't make you a diva.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    EmBleve wrote:
    I have a thing with alot of words, so this is a great thread. :lol: Most recently, my most irritating word to hear is 'EPIC'. Sooo overused.

Oh dear Lordy Lord, yes! Everything can't be epic. Or face-melting, that's another one. "So and so melted my face! Man, we had an epic blast!" :|
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    I am kinda surprised how mainstream the word "douche" is now.
    Grandmas are saying it!!! :lol::lol:
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I don't like it when advertisers make up fake words that are unnecessary. For example, there's a cable company pushing the word "More-dinary" .

If people are going to make up words, I think they ought to at the very least be amusing or sound good!! :twisted:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    81 wrote:
    Horse manure's not that bad. I don't even mind the word manure. It's newer, which is good, and a ma in front of it. Ma-Newer. When you consider the other choices, manure is actually pretty refreshing.

you said that? you said you like horse manure?

and it was right around this time she said she had a boyfriend?.... :think:
    www.myspace.com
    justam wrote:
    I think they ought to at the very least be amusing or sound good!! :twisted:

Instead of just moredinary?? No?? ;)
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    this is more of a grammatical complaint than a word complaint.

I cringe when I hear/see someone say:

"I seen it"

Now, I am no grammer expert, but that to me just sounds terrible. And it seems to be creeping into common use more and more, and by people, who up until that comes out of their mouth, I would think are intelligent. Worse than when I hear "I axed a question".

Proper use is "I HAVE seen it" or even "I've seen it" or "I saw it".
    loadedgun wrote:

I think Diva has become synonomous with fat. You will never find a t-shirt sized XS with the word "Diva" across the chest.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I hate when people combine words or phrases, like chillax

how about shut the fuck up! :lol:
    eMMI wrote:
    EmBleve wrote:

Oh dear Lordy Lord, yes! Everything can't be epic. Or face-melting, that's another one. "So and so melted my face! Man, we had an epic blast!" :|
    :lol: ohhh, but apparently everything and anything can be epic. :lol: :roll: and, good one--melting my face.. that reminds me of the face-off guy from the ticket sale. :lol::lol:
    justam wrote:
    I think they ought to at the very least be amusing or sound good!! :twisted:

Instead of just moredinary?? No?? ;)

ARGH!!!! :twisted:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    this is more of a grammatical complaint than a word complaint.

I cringe when I hear/see someone say:

"I seen it"

Now, I am no grammer expert, but that to me just sounds terrible. And it seems to be creeping into common use more and more, and by people, who up until that comes out of their mouth, I would think are intelligent. Worse than when I hear "I axed a question".

Proper use is "I HAVE seen it" or even "I've seen it" or "I saw it".
    That's a good one. I am guilty of this. :oops: I know the correct usage, but a strong southern accent encourages saying "I seen it". It flows off the tongue. :lol: Another one along these lines is when somebody says 'bring' instead of 'take'. For example, 'bring me back to the room' instead of 'take me back to the room'. It's kind of cute, but sometimes annoying.
    loadedgun wrote:

People take it to mean that someone is acting like a bitch but even THAT isn't what it actually means.

The first "Divas" were women who could be bitchy because they could actually DO something (sing amazing arias) that other people can't do and therefore people had to put up with their bitchiness. Now, every stupid person wants that right without having to do the job that gave the old divas their allowence to be demanding. (!!!) :geek:

Everything is so watered down now... ;):lol:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    roads...ro-ads

Roods..

Rural... ruhl.. rew-rawl...
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    Lizard wrote:

it is really fun to say though.

"douche"

"douche"

"douche"

:lol:
    nukular=nuclear
    Mirror is meer-or NOT meer
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    not one specific word...but I *hate* it when people throw in an 'R' or 'L' (or other random letter) into words...

'Seattle is in WaRshington State'
    'I'm gonna waRsh my hands'
    'I'm gonna drawL a pretty picture'

and bad grammar sometimes gets to me...
    'I gots to gets me something to drink'
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    Mirror is meer-or NOT meer

i can see my reflection in the meer or in the water.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Lizard wrote:

"douche"

"douche"

"douche"

especially when the word nozzle is added to it!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Lizard wrote:

"douche"

"douche"

"douche"

Wait a second _ I just had an idea for a new word.

If you pronounce "douche" as though it rhymes with "touche," it sounds not like "doosh" but "doo-shay" which is far more elegant.

Douche (picture the little hash mark over the "e" making it be "doo-shay" instead of "doosh") could be used when acknowledging or retorting to a rude comment. For example...

Unlost Dogs: "I got so lost on my way to New Hampshire last weekend. Friggin' GPS."
    81: "Must have been using your iPhone."
    Unlost Dogs: "Douche, 81, douche."
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Lizard wrote:

"douche"

"douche"

"douche"

Wait a second _ I just had an idea for a new word.

If you pronounce "douche" as though it rhymes with "touche," it sounds not like "doosh" but "doo-shay" which is far more elegant.

Douche (picture the little hash mark over the "e" making it be "doo-shay" instead of "doosh") could be used when acknowledging or retorting to a rude comment. For example...

Unlost Dogs: "I got so lost on my way to New Hampshire last weekend. Friggin' GPS."
    81: "Must have been using your iPhone."
    Unlost Dogs: "Douche, 81, douche."

:P :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,389
    How about 'walmarts'

There is no S!!!

'I'm going to Walmarts.'
    Unless you're going to more than one, that makes no sense.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    The color of the sun is yell-O, not yell-A
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    And what about right, right? Or, like, right? As in...

"We were, like, going to the store, right? To like, buy a case of Sam, right? And like, you know the guy behind the counter, right? He was like, "Dude!"

Actually that is an incorrect representation. In these parts you don't go to the liquor store for your beer, you go to the packie.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    edited May 2011
    Last night at the local school board meeting...the board president had to RECUSE himself from a vote involving a close family member.....he said..."i am going to RESCUE myself from this vote."

With leadership like that, no wonder our schools are in the shitter and that wasn't the first time he said that either
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all