Not Trying to get anyone in trouble: But..Ebay Scam??

OffMeGoesOffMeGoes Posts: 483
edited June 2011 in Lost Dogs
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0649439237

This guy may be 100 percent legitimate, and if so, I apologize...however, because what I see is so bizarre and seemingly out of line, I have to ask here what you guys think.... This guy has sold tons of the same 1998 Ames posters for 3-400 bucks each.... including 4 or 5 Raleigh posters that are Mint (one had a crease, but looked too perfect) and 4 or 5 Knoxville posters...Birmingham too..... It just seems like a total scam, like he got a good way to print perfect copies and is taking people to the cleaners.... None of them are signed or numbered, so I am just trying to look out for fellow collectors as it never hurts to check.... Anyone care to look at his sales and give a feedback?? I know there are knockoffs out there, and if you can get 400 dollars for a 20 dollar repo, people are going to steal from collectors... I have stopped collecting as I never can tell anymore on the older ones I am missing......

Anyway...just looking out for the little guy...
Formally known as Tackalac before being formally known as Vedderwt,,,,....release my old name and posts....

I saw a wino eating grapes, I said, "Dude, you have to wait"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• arakiasarakias Posts: 281
    Well if he sold a poster in February and got + feedback on it, I dont know if you want to call it a scam, you could always message the buyer and see if they are satisfied.
    http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... ckAsSeller

This is his list of completed (recent) sales.
    http://completed.shop.ebay.com/missilea ... 283&_rdc=1
  • zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    I noticed one thing at first glance. All his posters are on white paper.
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: Noblesville 
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,663
    OffMeGoes wrote:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320649439237

This guy may be 100 percent legitimate, and if so, I apologize...however, because what I see is so bizarre and seemingly out of line, I have to ask here what you guys think.... This guy has sold tons of the same 1998 Ames posters for 3-400 bucks each.... including 4 or 5 Raleigh posters that are Mint (one had a crease, but looked too perfect) and 4 or 5 Knoxville posters...Birmingham too..... It just seems like a total scam, like he got a good way to print perfect copies and is taking people to the cleaners.... None of them are signed or numbered, so I am just trying to look out for fellow collectors as it never hurts to check.... Anyone care to look at his sales and give a feedback?? I know there are knockoffs out there, and if you can get 400 dollars for a 20 dollar repo, people are going to steal from collectors... I have stopped collecting as I never can tell anymore on the older ones I am missing......

Anyway...just looking out for the little guy...

I also wondered about this....
    there are quite a few fake raleighs out there too which is a shame.
  • themessengerthemessenger Dallas Posts: 1,320
    I've seen these on there and wondered the same thing since I'm looking for the Dallas 98 one. The low feedback scares me, even if he has had some positive on some recent sales.
  • ahill721ahill721 Posts: 2,071
    I contacted the seller regarding the multiple Raleigh Knoxville posters he has sold over the last few months, telling him I was concerned that I would be bidding on a fake. His response was that these are 100% authentic and that "I worked for the opening band."

Take from that what you will... I didn't buy it, but it could be the truth. I guess it depends on how you want to spend your money.
  • arqarq Posts: 7,935
    ahill721 wrote:
    I contacted the seller regarding the multiple Raleigh Knoxville posters he has sold over the last few months, telling him I was concerned that I would be bidding on a fake. His response was that these are 100% authentic and that "I worked for the opening band."

Take from that what you will... I didn't buy it, but it could be the truth. I guess it depends on how you want to spend your money.

Ok that could be true but why sell them now one after the other? I noticed the large amount of 98 posters lately and they're almost the same venues... so i call this BS for me all his posters are fakes, and I wouldn't buy from him, the buyers could be unaware they bought a fake item so that's not a good source of information, how many people selling fake crap on ebay have 100% feedback?
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
    arq wrote:
    ahill721 wrote:

Ok that could be true but why sell them now one after the other? I noticed the large amount of 98 posters lately and they're almost the same venues... so i call this BS for me all his posters are fakes, and I wouldn't buy from him, the buyers could be unaware they bought a fake item so that's not a good source of information, how many people selling fake crap on ebay have 100% feedback?

I agree with Jose!!
  • stickmanstickman Posts: 1,008
    edited May 2011
    This person's feedback shows that he has recently sold:

4 Raliegh
    5 Knoxville
    2 Atlanta
    3 Birmingham
    2 Virginia Beach

And has 1 of the following currently up for sale:

Knoxville
    Atlanta
    Birmingham

At least they are all shows Mudhoney played.

Like Captain Planet used to say:

"The Power is Yours!"
    Post edited by stickman on
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    if jose said it,thats enough for me
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • OffMeGoesOffMeGoes Posts: 483
    I just wish there was a real way to catch fakes....ebay doesn't care because they make so much money of him....I call 110 percent BS...just because he worked for opening band, does that mean he would get to walk away with a stack of these posters...the run is so small, how is it that he ended up with so many? If he worked at the TenClub, I wouldn't think he would have that many....either dude has world's best collection or is a complete thief....... It is awful...because people that bought from him have NO IDEA, so when they sell, they will be selling with 100 percent confidence that their poster is real.....this kills poster collecting for me....(well, it did a long time ago)
    Formally known as Tackalac before being formally known as Vedderwt,,,,....release my old name and posts....

I saw a wino eating grapes, I said, "Dude, you have to wait"
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    I was watching this myself ... thanks for popsting this.

I noticed one or two of the recent auctions said "my final copy" ...so, I was waiting to see if more went up, or if they just put that claim in every auction.

Those old AMES prints with few colors are pretty easy to fake with today's technology, I really would only buy one from someone that is recommeded / trusted.

It may be legit, but I wouldn't trust this person's story.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,971
    I agree
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    LukinFan wrote:
    I agree

Damn I'm about to run for mayor :lol:
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    arq wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:
    I agree

link where i can vote? :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    arq wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:
    I agree

You'll have to run against Luther Campbell down in Miami if you do 8-)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

LukinFan wrote:

against this guy?

luther-campbell.jpg damn how could I compete with this guy? I don't have a mugshot like his, all I have to show is a couple of parking tickets :P
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

• choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    lol remember when 10C sold the 98 posters for $10? those were the days.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • whoyouare72whoyouare72 Chicago IL Posts: 2,067
    arq wrote:
    ahill721 wrote:

so i call this BS for me all his posters are fakes, and I wouldn't buy from him,
    +1
    Most poster sellers on ebay that have multiples are fakes.
  • ShawnC NYCShawnC NYC Posts: 18
    I actually bought a Raleigh and Birmingham from this guy. While I'm no expert or anything, I own around a dozen other 98's and these feel extremely comparable to those in terms of paper quality, ink thickness, etc. While they are in very good condition, the paper certainly has an older feel and look to it, making it seem like it's been around for a while.

I traded messages with the guy when he put up his first batch to see if he had any others that I had been searching for and said he only had ones that Mudhoney was the opener. His story could be a lie, but its at least been consistent. His profile also says that he is a record dealer and sells under the ID selectroburner, which has a 4840 rating. THis is apparently a ID he set up to sell memorabilia.

Also from everything I've read about the 98's, poster collecting wasn't a big thing at that time so these generally did not sell out. Therefore it's not 100% out of the question that someone working the tour could grab a bunch.

Who knows for sure, but having the posters in hand, they feel legit to me compared to my other 98s. If there are real he is definitely over saturating the market and killing his profit - if they fakes though I guess he doesn't care. Thought I'd just share my experience.

That being said anyone have a Hartford 98 they want to sell? :D
    ahill721 wrote:
    arq wrote:
    ahill721 wrote:

I agree with Jose!!

sadly I do too....

there was a thread here once on how to spot the raleigh fakes that was really useful
    ShawnC NYC wrote:
    I actually bought a Raleigh and Birmingham from this guy. While I'm no expert or anything, I own around a dozen other 98's and these feel extremely comparable to those in terms of paper quality, ink thickness, etc. While they are in very good condition, the paper certainly has an older feel and look to it, making it seem like it's been around for a while.

I traded messages with the guy when he put up his first batch to see if he had any others that I had been searching for and said he only had ones that Mudhoney was the opener. His story could be a lie, but its at least been consistent. His profile also says that he is a record dealer and sells under the ID selectroburner, which has a 4840 rating. THis is apparently a ID he set up to sell memorabilia.

Also from everything I've read about the 98's, poster collecting wasn't a big thing at that time so these generally did not sell out. Therefore it's not 100% out of the question that someone working the tour could grab a bunch.

Who knows for sure, but having the posters in hand, they feel legit to me compared to my other 98s. If there are real he is definitely over saturating the market and killing his profit - if they fakes though I guess he doesn't care. Thought I'd just share my experience.

That being said anyone have a Hartford 98 they want to sell? :D

Its a tough one for sure. Either way - as long as you like them and they look perfect and you hang them and they make you smile....well its a result for you.

the raleigh 98 is an amazing poster. One of the very best IMO. Frame it with a black mount and black frame and keep it simple....looks killer done like that
    arq wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:

against this guy?

luther-campbell.jpg damn how could I compete with this guy? I don't have a mugshot like his, all I have to show is a couple of parking tickets :P
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• OkOk Posts: 2,144
    arq wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:

luther-campbell.jpg

I actually didn't think he looked that bad! What is he - 45 or so by now>>>!
    Ok wrote:
    arq wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:

luther-campbell.jpg

I actually didn't think he looked that bad! What is he - 45 or so by now>>>!
    he turned 50 earlier this year, I believe
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

Again "missileany" has a couple of 98's at the bay... Knoxville and Birmingham :think:
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

• jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    ok, this missileany person now has more Knoxville and Birmingham posters up ... with "swirling printing issues" ...

Sold some last week and more up this week ... my level of skepticism has gone from 90% to 100%.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    I am sure these are all fakes, been watching everything he puts up...
  • MajLreapMajLreap Posts: 100
    As someone who has had every 98 in his possesion, this guy must sell fakes. Let me tell you why I say this...He posted a knoxville 98 about 6 months ago and said it was his last copy. I have seen 3 other copies since then. These are definitely fakes. If anyone has bought any of these, you can send me pictures and I can send you pictures of the real prints. All of my prints either came from Ames or the shows. If I traded for any of them, it was back in 98-00. They didn't start making fakes until 03 when posters really took off.

There are many fakes of certain 96/98's. This seller certainly sells a lot of them. Watch out when buying a Hartford 98. There was a person who made fakes of that print that wrote the wrong printer on the bottom.

I have been collecting prints since for over 15 years. If you have any questions about any of your prints I am sure I can answer them.
    MajLreap wrote:
    As someone who has had every 98 in his possesion, this guy must sell fakes. Let me tell you why I say this...He posted a knoxville 98 about 6 months ago and said it was his last copy. I have seen 3 other copies since then. These are definitely fakes. If anyone has bought any of these, you can send me pictures and I can send you pictures of the real prints. All of my prints either came from Ames or the shows. If I traded for any of them, it was back in 98-00. They didn't start making fakes until 03 when posters really took off.

There are many fakes of certain 96/98's. This seller certainly sells a lot of them. Watch out when buying a Hartford 98. There was a person who made fakes of that print that wrote the wrong printer on the bottom.

I have been collecting prints since for over 15 years. If you have any questions about any of your prints I am sure I can answer them.

awesome man thanks :thumbup:
    Neil deGrasse Tyson