Options

Good Martin Luther King Quote (Bin Laden Related)

know1know1 Posts: 6,763
edited May 2011 in A Moving Train
‎"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." -ML

Revenge does nothing but continue the cycle of violence - me
The only people we should try to get even with...
...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    I guess I should have looked in the other thread before I posted that. I guess it's already being discussed. Sorry for the duplication, although MLK is my hero.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I think it's a very fitting quote for this situation.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    kumbaya my lord kumbaya
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    kumbaya my lord kumbaya

One more for you, "violence begets violence" - Celebrating the death of such a person will just fuel more hatred. I'm not denying the guy needed to be taken out, but such celebrations will just reinforce hatred towards the US.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    great Quote...i like this one as well..

"Live Long,Love as much as you can" Eddie Vedder Berlin 2009
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    know1 wrote:
    ‎"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." -ML

yeah...this one has been popping up on the fbook...

I guess Obama should have just giving OBL a cookie and sent him about his business...

now, let's all hold hands and sing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2x7wDgkLuw
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Anyone wanna blunt?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    know1 wrote:

Good quote..What's funny to me is that the same people who were posting celebratory comments on facebook about how they were glad he was dead and hope he's burning in hell are the same ones who posted that MLK quote the following day. :?
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:
    I guess Obama should have just giving OBL a cookie and sent him about his business...

People are using that quote in reference to the people out in the street celebrating, I don't think anyone is suggesting they should have just left him to go about his business.
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:

People are using that quote in reference to the people out in the street celebrating, I don't think anyone is suggesting they should have just left him to go about his business.

what are folks suggesting...? I understand there are various emotions, thoughts, and feelings that come into play...and I understand that some will react differently that others...

I do find it funny that some want to sit on the high horse and look down at those they think "celebrated" too much...

anyway, don't fret...this news cycle will be over soon and the next flavor of the week be here for all to dissect...
  • Options
    FYI.... :arrow:

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/arc ... rn/238220/

Out of Osama's Death, a Fake Quotation Is Born
    By Megan McArdle

May 2 2011, 6:23 PM ET 579

Shortly after I posted my piece on feeling curiously un-thrilled about Bin Laden's death, the following quote came across my twitter feed:

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy." - Martin Luther King, Jr

I admire the sentiment. But something about it just strikes me as off, like that great Marx quote about the housing bubble that didn't appear anywhere in Das Kapital.

Owners of capital will stimulate the working class to buy more and more of expensive goods, houses and technology, pushing them to take more and more expensive credits, until their debt becomes unbearable. The unpaid debt will lead to bankruptcy of banks, which will have to be nationalised, and the State will have to take the road which will eventually lead to communism. Karl Marx, Das Kapital, 1867

Like the Marx quote, it's a bit too a propos. What "thousands" would King have been talking about? In which enemy's death was he supposed to be rejoicing?

Osama Bin Laden
    A quick Google search turns up lots of tweets, all of them from today. Searching Martin Luther King Jr. quote pages for the word "enemy" does not turn up this quote, only things that probably wouldn't go over nearly so well, like "Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy to a friend." I'm pretty sure that this quote, too, is fake.

What's fascinating is the speed of it. Someone made up a quote, attributed it to MLK, Jr., and disseminated it widely, all within 24 hours. Why? What do you get out of saying something pithy, and getting no credit for it?

Perhaps they only wanted to say this thing, and knew that no one would pay attention unless it came from someone else. Or, perhaps they are getting a gargantuan kick out of seeing people repeat their lie ad infinitum. Either way, it seems strange to me.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    know1 wrote:

Apparently love can't drive out hate either.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    inmytree wrote:
    inmytree wrote:

what are folks suggesting...? I understand there are various emotions, thoughts, and feelings that come into play...and I understand that some will react differently that others...

I do find it funny that some want to sit on the high horse and look down at those they think "celebrated" too much...

anyway, don't fret...this news cycle will be over soon and the next flavor of the week be here for all to dissect...

No kidding. This is was a great thing.

I don't understand those that celebrated, and I think some just use any excuse to do that sort of thing (same reason you have people setting cars on fire after their team wins a championship). BUt it's gone a little over the top with the criticism here lately. I mean, how long did these "celebrations" last anyhow?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:

Hmm, high horse, you might want to consider the thousands of innocent people who have died in the middle east since the west invaded. The US aren't the only country to have suffered from terrorism, in fact people from many nations died on 9/11 too.

The truth is you can't argue with terrorists, and this eye for an eye attitude might make some people feel that justice has been served, but in reality it is just a tiny piece in a massively complex puzzle.

Sadly the next news cycle may well be some kind of retaliation, let's see how long the chanting and partying lasts then......
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    inmytree wrote:

By Megan McArdle

Shortly after I posted my piece on feeling curiously un-thrilled about Bin Laden's death, the following quote came across my twitter feed:

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy." - Martin Luther King, Jr

I admire the sentiment. But something about it just strikes me as off, like that great Marx quote about the housing bubble that didn't appear anywhere in Das Kapital.

Owners of capital will stimulate the working class to buy more and more of expensive goods, houses and technology, pushing them to take more and more expensive credits, until their debt becomes unbearable. The unpaid debt will lead to bankruptcy of banks, which will have to be nationalised, and the State will have to take the road which will eventually lead to communism. Karl Marx, Das Kapital, 1867

Like the Marx quote, it's a bit too a propos. What "thousands" would King have been talking about? In which enemy's death was he supposed to be rejoicing?

Osama Bin Laden
    A quick Google search turns up lots of tweets, all of them from today. Searching Martin Luther King Jr. quote pages for the word "enemy" does not turn up this quote, only things that probably wouldn't go over nearly so well, like "Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy to a friend." I'm pretty sure that this quote, too, is fake.

What's fascinating is the speed of it. Someone made up a quote, attributed it to MLK, Jr., and disseminated it widely, all within 24 hours. Why? What do you get out of saying something pithy, and getting no credit for it?

Perhaps they only wanted to say this thing, and knew that no one would pay attention unless it came from someone else. Or, perhaps they are getting a gargantuan kick out of seeing people repeat their lie ad infinitum. Either way, it seems strange to me.

This person uses Google for his research, and yet we're supposed to regard her as a serious journalist?
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:

Hmm, high horse, you might want to consider the thousands of innocent people who have died in the middle east since the west invaded. The US aren't the only country to have suffered from terrorism, in fact people from many nations died on 9/11 too.

The truth is you can't argue with terrorists, and this eye for an eye attitude might make some people feel that justice has been served, but in reality it is just a tiny piece in a massively complex puzzle.

Sadly the next news cycle may well be some kind of retaliation, let's see how long the chanting and partying lasts then......

High horse...yes

Considered...yes

Understand that not everyone will react the exact same way I would....yes
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    inmytree wrote:

By Megan McArdle

Osama Bin Laden

This person uses Google for his research, and yet we're supposed to regard her as a serious journalist?

um...can you find the exact quote somewhere...?
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:
    High horse...yes

So people are on their high horse because they are able to look at the bigger picture?
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    inmytree wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    inmytree wrote:

By Megan McArdle

Osama Bin Laden

um...can you find the exact quote somewhere...?

Um...serious journalists don't run 'quick Google searches' for their investigations. The quotation may have been pulled from any one of numerous speeches, articles, pamplets, or books by M.L.K.

Anyway, as it happens it looks like the original posting - on Facebook - had an original comment, followed by this MLK quote. Presumably it was copied from status to status, and the quotation mark moved to erroneously include the whole post: http://i.imgur.com/cqtjw.jpg
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Um...serious journalists don't run 'quick Google searches' for their investigations.
    I fear the world is short on serious journalists ;)
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:

Um...serious journalists don't run 'quick Google searches' for their investigations. The quotation may have been pulled from any one of numerous speeches, articles, pamplets, or books by M.L.K.

Anyway, as it happens it looks like the original posting - on Facebook - had an original comment, followed by this MLK quote. Presumably it was copied from status to status, and the quotation mark moved to erroneously include the whole post: http://i.imgur.com/cqtjw.jpg

um...so the non-journalist who wrote the original piece was technically correct...?
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:
    High horse...yes

So people are on their high horse because they are able to look at the bigger picture?

this response is smug and high-horsey..."big-picture", huh...

I guess it's easy to see the "big picture" when one is seated so high... :lol::lol:
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:
    inmytree wrote:
    High horse...yes

this response is smug and high-horsey..."big-picture", huh...

I guess it's easy to see the "big picture" when one is seated so high... :lol::lol:

Oh please, if I was just being smug I wouldn't be taking the time to explain why I feel how I do. I think the 'big picture' is incredibly important, and to their credit the vast majority of family members of 9/11 victims I saw interviewed all expressed that.
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736

I don't understand those that celebrated, and I think some just use any excuse to do that sort of thing (same reason you have people setting cars on fire after their team wins a championship). BUt it's gone a little over the top with the criticism here lately. I mean, how long did these "celebrations" last anyhow?

What's up Cincybearcat? I see your old buddy Bob Huggins around town every once in a while.

There was a supposed Mark Twain quote that was pretty good. Something like, "I don't wish death on anyone, but I get great joy occassionally out of reading the obituaries." Something like that.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    Oh please, if I was just being smug I wouldn't be taking the time to explain why I feel how I do. I think the 'big picture' is incredibly important, and to their credit the vast majority of family members of 9/11 victims I saw interviewed all expressed that.

I guess I should be honored that you're taking the time to explain things to little ol' me... :wave:

anyhoo....when there is a "big picture" involved there is also a "little picture"...in this case, you and yours want to focus on the "big picture" (however you wish to define it), I guess others wanted to focus on the "little picture", which I'll define as "the here and now" a.k.a. the present...which here means; some felt compelled to take to the streets and display their view of the little picture....

for me, that's not a bad thing....I guess I may not be part of the "vast majority" you claim to have intimate knowledge of...again, I don't think that's a bad thing...

and for the record, I personally did not take to the streets...however have no problem with those who did...
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:
    I guess I should be honored that you're taking the time to explain things to little ol' me... :wave:

anyhoo....when there is a "big picture" involved there is also a "little picture"...in this case, you and yours want to focus on the "big picture" (however you wish to define it), I guess others wanted to focus on the "little picture", which I'll define as "the here and now" a.k.a. the present...which here means; some felt compelled to take to the streets and display their view of the little picture....

for me, that's not a bad thing....I guess I may not be part of the "vast majority" you claim to have intimate knowledge of...again, I don't think that's a bad thing...

and for the record, I personally did not take to the streets...however have no problem with those who did...

Paint me to be whoever you want, you haven't grasped what I'm saying at all, but that's ok.
  • Options
    cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    fanch75 wrote:

What's up Cincybearcat? I see your old buddy Bob Huggins around town every once in a while.

There was a supposed Mark Twain quote that was pretty good. Something like, "I don't wish death on anyone, but I get great joy occassionally out of reading the obituaries." Something like that.

Appropriately enough for this discussion about what MLK said/didn't say, that quote didn't come from Mark Twain - it came from Clarence Darrow
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:

Paint me to be whoever you want, you haven't grasped what I'm saying at all, but that's ok.

I can say the same... :D
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:
    I can say the same... :D

I haven't painted you as anything. All I did was defend my point of view because you accused me of being smug, which I am not.