i know what's wrong in the United States

McCready00McCready00 Posts: 371
edited May 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
. Breakfast

Really hard to find a place where they serve a good breakfast..

I was told it's very not a cultural thing in the state to have a good decent breakfast.. looks like it's true (:
-"it's times like these you have to ask yourself, "what would mike mccready do"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    McCready00 wrote:
    . Breakfast

I was told it's very not a cultural thing in the state to have a good decent breakfast.. looks like it's true (:

Really?

I find it hard to get a bad breakfast anywhere in Los Angeles where I live now, or growing up in Boston.

Tons of great options.

Where are you going?
  • McCready00McCready00 Posts: 371
    well I went pretty much everywhere in the states... specially in Los Angeles last winter ( Burbank... ) ..

I might be wrong though.. But having a europeen lifestyle over here, it seems totally different when speaking about breakfast.
    McCready00 wrote:
    well I went pretty much everywhere in the states... specially in Los Angeles last winter ( Burbank... ) ..

I might be wrong though.. But having a europeen lifestyle over here, it seems totally different when speaking about breakfast.

I loved breakfast when I was in Great Britain. The Irish/English breakfast was great.

Thought breakfast in the rest of Europe was terrible. Mostly cause it was 90% bread where I went.

But would love to hear more about what is a 'good' breakfast?

Just curious what I'm missing out on?'

EDIT: Are you from Montreal?
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Wilds wrote:
    McCready00 wrote:

I loved breakfast when I was in Great Britain. The Irish/English breakfast was great.

Thought breakfast in the rest of Europe was terrible. Mostly cause it was 90% bread where I went.

But would love to hear more about what is a 'good' breakfast?

Just curious what I'm missing out on?'

EDIT: Are you from Montreal?
    What does an Irish/English breakfast consist of?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    yep, Montréal, why ?

Well, i'm not saying we have anything special in the plate, but most of the places I went in the states for breakfast, it was really fat, too much butter, impossible to get Maple Syrup, instead you get some kind of thick substance.. you get steak/friedchicken mixed with eggs in the menu ( weeeiiird combo !! (: ) and last and most important thing, you got to pay for the coffee !!!!
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    There are at least 5 or 6 places within 5 blocks of me that have bottomless mimosa brunches ... can't really go wrong with that.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    McCready00 wrote:
    yep, Montréal, why ?

Just curious where the breakfast was good in your opinion.

I think all of the chain places are like you described. Heavy and greasy.

Not that I don't love that sometimes.

But for smaller local places, or higher end places, I think you can get what you suggest (you like) pretty much all over.

I think in the world of 'hit or miss', you simply missed.
    you probably right if you say so (:

i'll do a deeper research next time I visit Sam's land.!
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    don't go to dennys or ihop or anyother "breakfast" restaurants , go to any local diner in a town for true breakfast

this might help you

http://www.esquire.com/features/food-dr ... fasts-0309
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,971
    Good French Toast is always hard to find.
  • threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    i found american food in general terrible, unless you go to decent high end restaurants. but yeah all the chain/fast food types which seem to be the popular or norm are really bad. even places like mcdonalds or burger king which we have here in Aus were far worse then their Australian counterpart. they were a million times greasier, i had grease running down my arm from the burger, which has never happened here in Aus.

and other places which i found barely eatable like Wendy's and Jack in the Box. but in saying that i also had some awesome meals in america.

but yeah, also if you want to lose weight america is the place to be(surprising as that sounds) but i had the shits the whole time i was there. must have lost a few Kg's as the food was just going straight through me.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,976
    Perhaps breakfast in America isn't as cosmopolitan as "european" breakfast . But it stems from how this country grew. On its stomach. Much of American style breakfast food is based around what would have been served in just about any farmhouse kitchen. It was meant to be filling and use what was available on the farm.

THIS is breakfast. http://www.barnyardbuster.com/breakfast.html.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    What is wrong with 3 vita brits or weet bix and milk?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392

I remember a lot of the hotels we stayed at included breakfast. So we went down to the included breakfast and there would be a table with some doughnuts and bagels on it and some coffee. I was expecting bacon and eggs and pancakes and shit like that.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980

I remember a lot of the hotels we stayed at included breakfast. So we went down to the included breakfast and there would be a table with some doughnuts and bagels on it and some coffee. I was expecting bacon and eggs and pancakes and shit like that.

I stay in a lot of hotels that provide breakfast. 9 out of 10 are barely edible.

But it's free for me as a (consultant) business traveler as the company picks up the tab for hotel. I pay for my own food, so I'm happy to eat whatever is available downstairs.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    McCready00 wrote:
    . Breakfast

The US is a BIG place.. I would consider food outside of Chicago to suck balls, so don't base anything of of any particular experience.
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I have heard that Thailand is the place to be for a good breaky...
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,597
    McCready00 wrote:
    . Breakfast

wow you are sadly mistaken dude.
    www.myspace.com
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    We don't go out for breakfast but we got a gift card for IHOP and went last year.

They put the calories next to the breakfast meals :shock:

I was floored... 1500 calories + for breakfast!
    and the tables were packed... everyone doing it ... thats a days worth of food :o

I got 800 and still thought holy crap! :?

and no it wasn't worth the calories
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Gob wrote:
    The US is a BIG place.. I would consider food outside of Chicago to suck balls, so don't base anything of of any particular experience.

i would consider food in chicago to be over priced or highly processed.

there's one place here that a breakfast for two will run 30 bucks and the food is in line with most other places. we don't go there.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    697d500f.jpg

This place is packed everyday. Great food!
    I'll be back
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    This thread is making me hungry. Think I'll go out and get some breakfast from the multitude of options available.
    #FHP
  • MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    edited May 2011
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,976
    6 slices of homemade french toast with crisp bacon. Coffee to drink!! Time for a nap.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    ya know, whenever i go to a foreign country, the first thing i do is look for someplace to have an american breakfast :?

no wait, i go to other countries to experience the culture which includes food...maybe i won't like it, but i sure wouldn't complain about it and wonder why i couldn't get the same old thing i have every day
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Gob wrote:
    Have you ever left Chicago?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    So you are you saying the President and all the politicians in Washington are not eating their breakfast? Makes sense as they are all worthless
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    I'm not a big fan of cooked breakfasts but if we do go out I'll order Eggs Bennedict or French Toast. My husband loves an English style Bacon, Eggs, Hashbrowns, Mushrooms, Tomatoes, Baked Beans.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,464
    Captain Crunch.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    I just finished my bowl of 3 vita brits with low fat milk, sprinkled with one teaspoon of raw sugar.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014