Driftin': Need Advice For Maiden Voyage

2»

Comments

• unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    As a professional and ASE certified mechanic, I would advise you to read and understand your owners manual.. You would be surprised how much more fun and enjoyable a trip would be if you know how to operate and maintain you equipment. Plus, maintenance and preparation will save you money in the long run. Not to mention the safety aspects...

This is by far the most thought out and serious post I have ever made...

so with that I say nutsack

I was alarmed, thinking, "Who is this person, and what did he do with Cavstarr?!?" And then you said "nutsack" and I was relieved.

I really, really will read some of the owners manuals. But honestly, do I have to read six pages about the freaking toilet?!? And the main manual, for the trailer itself, seriously, it was written for every model that Gulfstream makes, every size, every type _ trailer and fifth wheels. It's unreadable!

Nutsack, indeed.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    good luck unlost! did you happen to buy it from this guy?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSWUWPx2VeQ
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    Seriously though, NOBODY EVER READS THEIR OWNERS MANUAL!!! and guys like me make a living (a comfortable living) because of it... Do the right thing Spike Lee :thumbup:
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    good luck unlost! did you happen to buy it from this guy?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSWUWPx2VeQ
    There is a kick ass documentary recently made about this guy.. :lol::lol: One of my fav youtube vids..

and store it here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0gb9v4LI4o
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Seriously though, NOBODY EVER READS THEIR OWNERS MANUAL!!! and guys like me make a living (a comfortable living) because of it... Do the right thing Spike Lee :thumbup:

all the stupid manuals tell you is "Please see your Authorized Dealership for more information"

it's THOSE f#ckers that make a 'comfortable living'...BTW, are you an 'authorized auto locksmith'? I need a RFID key made...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    How was the Maiden Voyage unlost?

Did you and the 3 unlost doggies make it to agility in one piece? (as 4 seperate entities of course)

Were you able to sufficently pack the fridge with an appropriate amount of yeasty alcoholic beverage?

Did you have to back up anywhere?

Did you forget anything? (hook up trailer lights ;) )

Did you scor...um did Sailor, Tessie, and Sweet Pea score well in the trials?

Please report back with full details at your earliest convenience...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    So tomorrow I'm taking camp Unlost Dogs for its maiden voyage from Boston to New Hampshire. Trailerless, I make this trip in an hour. With trailer, I'm figuring maybe 2. As I will be going very, very carefully.

The trailer is in the driveway. It's 23 feet long. I have no trailering experience. Well, except driving it home from the dealership, and then the other night, driving it around the public landing and backing up (and managing not to end up in the water).

I haven't done anything to it since bringing it home from the dealership, except that I made the bed, I put some cookware and paper plates in the cabinets, and some spatulas and cooking implements in the drawers. (Prompting Mr. Unlost to remark, "We have all those things in our kitchen, and you never use them. What makes you think you'll use them in the trailer?" Funny guy, Mr. Unlost.)

Anyway, so I'm off to the RMV first thing in the morning to pay the sales tax and get the plates. Then I'll be on the road by 1 or 2.

Here's the advice I'm seeking: I pulled out the giant packet of stuff that the dealer gave me. I mean pages and pages of instruction manuals about everything from the fire extinguisher to the toilet to the propane tanks and the electrical system. It's all really dense and boring.

Do I really need to read all of it, or do you think I can just wing it?

And please, no subsequent threads with a PJ pool betting on the date that the trailer will a) become unhitched and go rolling down the highway, b) experience a severe plumbing backup, c) blow up or, d) all of the above)

I was going to read the manuals today, but then I got onto the RMV website and started looking for vanity plates and realized that UNLOST is available which would be pretty cool. And then I started posting, and, well, we all know how that goes...

Oh, and when I put the hitch thingie into the receiver on the Pathfinder, there's a bolt that holds it in place. There's a hole in that bolt, anybody know if I need to put a pin in there? Mr. Unlost didn't think it was necessary, but I though, "Hmmm. Somebody went to a lot of trouble to drill a hole through that bolt. I bet they didn't do that for kicks."

Plus I have these four pins... I'm not entirely sure what they're for, but they seem important.

OMG what I would give to be following (FARRRrrrr behind) you on this voyage. LOL!!!
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    norm wrote:
    i'd make a comment but this speaks for itself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEHHkx929T8

:shock: :lol::lol:

:lol::lol: I think you fucked that one! :lol::lol:

OMG THAT KILLED ME!!!!
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
    You guys find the most amazingly funny things. I thought the actual thread was the funniest thing I've read in a long long time...until I saw those videos..OMG I'm still laughing.

BTW..where is Ms. Unlost? Has she been unable to turn that thing around and get back home? or what? :D
    peace,
    jo

"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
    Here I am!

So the trip was an adventure. Scraped the shit out of the hitch pulling out of the driveway, had to stop by the firehouse. After an hour, during which the hitch was placed in a vice while firefighters banged it with an axe, I was ready to go.

The trip up was fine, considering the wicked traffic.

Setting up was fine, mainly because my friends helped. Hooked up to city water, power, ran the propane (without any explosions!). Beer was nice and cold, showers were nice and hot. It was fantastic. Bed comfy, dogs quite happy with the new digs.

Saturday morning I found a "PUBLIC RESTROOM AND SHOWER" sign on my door. Sunday morning it was replaced by a "FOR SALE" sign. (My non-PJ friends are as funny as my PJ friends.) And also on Sunday I found two things floating in my toilet. I was all bent out of shape then someone fessed up and said it was tootsie rolls placed there by another prankster.

Coming home went fine until I got to about five miles from the house and the trailer brakes started locking up, squealing and smoking, every time I touched the brakes. That made for an interesting ride.

Decided no way was I risking the pitch of the driveway and more damage to the hitch, so currently it's parked in front of my house, still hitched to my Pathfinder, incurring the wrath of the neighbors until I can get it to the public landing today. But first I need some kind of a lock to put on it so nobody can drive it away.

I think if I can sort out this hitch and brakes business, I'll be all set for PJ fest. Assuming they hold it within a 6-hour drive of Boston... ;)
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    there is a quote in your story that 'needs' fixing...

anyway, glad you had a fun time...*goes to plan other schemes for PJ20*

- Christopher McCandless
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Saturday morning I found a "PUBLIC RESTROOM AND SHOWER" sign on my door. Sunday morning it was replaced by a "FOR SALE" sign. (My non-PJ friends are as funny as my PJ friends.) And also on Sunday I found two things floating in my toilet. I was all bent out of shape then someone fessed up and said it was tootsie rolls placed there by another prankster.

wow sounds like you've got a bunch of old Ashton Kutchers out there on the agility circuit ;):lol::lol:

glad you made it back in relatively one piece :D
    sounds like a blast. can't wait to come on over to your hookup at PJ20...i'm sure it will be an amazingly amusing time while waiting for the show :D:lol: you are a riot!
    peace,
    jo

I wonder if I can get a giant Stickman painted on the back. That would be really cool. Bet everybody would give me room if they saw that. Well, that and the smoking tires.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    glad to hear you made it back in one piece. Sounds like it was a great time.
    I wonder if I can get a giant Stickman painted on the back. That would be really cool. Bet everybody would give me room if they saw that. Well, that and the smoking tires.
    do it!!!
    Well..i guess this would be the front...but...
    WhyGoStickmanTrailer.gif
    peace,
    jo