we're number 1 - chicago leads nation in gas prices

2»

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    youngster wrote:
    I live just north of Boston and here's my dilemma:

With gas prices at close to $4 a gal I am still saving by driving to work. I drive about 40-50 miles a day roundtrip and I get free parking. I drive a pickup truck and I usually put about $80 per tank every 2 weeks (i don't use the truck on the weekends anymore) The local T station charges $5.50/day to park in the lot and $2 each way to ride the subway so $4 RT. That's 9 bucks a day so $45/week to get to work. I am saving $10 every 2 weeks by driving. It's all great to tout public transit but when it costs more to ride the train then to drive, your not getting my business just yet. Nevermind the delays everyday, it takes longer to get home via the train.

5.50 to park. yikes. do they offer a monthly plan? gf saves money by buying her parking for a quarter at a time. i think it's 50 for the quarter and daily is 1.25
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    polaris_x wrote:
    youngster wrote:

With gas prices at close to $4 a gal I am still saving by driving to work. I drive about 40-50 miles a day roundtrip and I get free parking. I drive a pickup truck and I usually put about $80 per tank every 2 weeks (i don't use the truck on the weekends anymore) The local T station charges $5.50/day to park in the lot and $2 each way to ride the subway so $4 RT. That's 9 bucks a day so $45/week to get to work. I am saving $10 every 2 weeks by driving. It's all great to tout public transit but when it costs more to ride the train then to drive, your not getting my business just yet. Nevermind the delays everyday, it takes longer to get home via the train.

to be fair ... that isn't the complete calculation ... you have to factor in the cost to own a car ...

insurance, purchase cost, interest (if you had to take a loan out), maintenance ... etc ...

thats true X but depending on your life style, some people need a car. like i said before while i don't drive my car alot i still own a car so that i can have somewhat of a personal life.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    fife wrote:
    thats true X but depending on your life style, some people need a car. like i said before while i don't drive my car alot i still own a car so that i can have somewhat of a personal life.

sure ... but the problem is that we need to move away from this distorted economic model relating to energy ... the shit costs less than coke for crying out loud ... it's ridiculous ... people don't need cars ... they need appropriate transportation solutions ... there is no reason why cars aren't electric right now ... the fact is the car companies and oil companies have manipulated the economy to make us depend on driving inefficient vehicles for far too long and the bubble has to burst somewhere ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    fife wrote:

sure ... but the problem is that we need to move away from this distorted economic model relating to energy ... the shit costs less than coke for crying out loud ... it's ridiculous ... people don't need cars ... they need appropriate transportation solutions ... there is no reason why cars aren't electric right now ... the fact is the car companies and oil companies have manipulated the economy to make us depend on driving inefficient vehicles for far too long and the bubble has to burst somewhere ...

I agree but i believe that even if cars were electric we would just see i hike in those prices.
    fife wrote:
    I agree but i believe that even if cars were electric we would just see i hike in those prices.

well ... we need to start paying the true cost of everything ... y'all should be thankful i'm not leading this charade! ... gas would be like $20/gallon ... :lol::lol:
    polaris_x wrote:
    fife wrote:

how the hell am i going to drive an electric vehicle from here to there? just not going to happen today. batteries aren't there. now if you were to somehow electrify the interstate so that i can charge while drive. ok, maybe. but right now, it's not there, or even in the works. electric is fine for city driving, but that's about it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    polaris_x wrote:
    fife wrote:

well ... we need to start paying the true cost of everything ... y'all should be thankful i'm not leading this charade! ... gas would be like $20/gallon ... :lol::lol:

true cost of everything. :lol: that's not how the .gov works.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • jethrojam420jethrojam420 Posts: 1,075
    81 wrote:
    youngster wrote:

5.50 to park. yikes. do they offer a monthly plan? gf saves money by buying her parking for a quarter at a time. i think it's 50 for the quarter and daily is 1.25

In boston 5.50 to park is on the cheap side. thats the outside T stops. South of boston at the quincy line its 7.
    in mansfield where i used to live its 3 to park but far more to take commuter rail. i think its up to 350 monthly.

course now my commute is a mere 25 miles round trip at 4.09 for premium so roughly 8 bucks a day and free parking (i no longer work in the boston so public transit is a no go)
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
    81 wrote:
    how the hell am i going to drive an electric vehicle from here to there? just not going to happen today. batteries aren't there. now if you were to somehow electrify the interstate so that i can charge while drive. ok, maybe. but right now, it's not there, or even in the works. electric is fine for city driving, but that's about it.

the tesla has a range of about 200 miles ... that's not bad ... if they spent the money on developing supercapacitors like they do in drilling for oil ... that range could be quadruple that with a 5 minute recharge ...

as for getting from city to city ... think about it ... high-speed electric trains have been operating in large parts of europe with relatively good efficiency ... why aren't they at the very least in the northeast corridor from boston to philly? ... the amount of flights that go between boston, NYC, philly, dc, baltimore each day is ridiculous ... you could move way more people way more faster with like 10% of the pollution ...
    In boston 5.50 to park is on the cheap side. thats the outside T stops. South of boston at the quincy line its 7.
    in mansfield where i used to live its 3 to park but far more to take commuter rail. i think its up to 350 monthly.

course now my commute is a mere 25 miles round trip at 4.09 for premium so roughly 8 bucks a day and free parking (i no longer work in the boston so public transit is a no go)

you're right. if you park at an L stop, it'll run you $5. if you drive into the city you looking at upwards of 30 bucks for the day.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    OH and i almost forgot :roll:

i've most recently gone from this:

rescue0331.jpg

to this

2565080818_f91644f550.jpg

so all in all i suppose i won't have an awfully hard time dealing with the current fuel extravaganza
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
    polaris_x wrote:
    fife wrote:

by raising the price of gas that much woul dreally hurt the middle class. look at what is happening right now in Ontario with the HST
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    polaris_x wrote:
    youngster wrote:

to be fair ... that isn't the complete calculation ... you have to factor in the cost to own a car ...

insurance, purchase cost, interest (if you had to take a loan out), maintenance ... etc ...

True. But I still need to own a vehicle even if I took public transit everyday. So just take all the transit costs and the costs you noted and add them together. Unfortunately insurance companies don't have a pay per use program.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
    youngster wrote:
    True. But I still need to own a vehicle even if I took public transit everyday. So just take all the transit costs and the costs you noted and add them together. Unfortunately insurance companies don't have a pay per use program.

they are working on it. talking of basing rates on how many miles you drive per your gps system, assuming you have something like onstar.

gf gets a small discount because she drives less than 5K miles a year.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    one good thing about not having a car anymore...
    besides not paying the gas prices
    is...not having to move my car every 3 hours so i don't get a ticket..man they add up fast at 15.00 a pop
    can you believe that? in a residential area?
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
    youngster wrote:

not quite ... driving 50 miles a day has a cost in terms of wear and tear and maintenance ... meaning, your car basically depreciates slightly both physically and monetarily every time you drive it ...
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Wow, your public transportation places charge you to park and then ride the train?

The PATCO line in NJ, you park for free and it's $5.70 RT to Philly. You can pay a buck if you want to park a little closer, but in reality, it's not a big difference.

I thought the idea was to encourage people to use public transportation, if it cost more, what's the incentive?
    Wow, your public transportation places charge you to park and then ride the train?

The PATCO line in NJ, you park for free and it's $5.70 RT to Philly. You can pay a buck if you want to park a little closer, but in reality, it's not a big difference.

I thought the idea was to encourage people to use public transportation, if it cost more, what's the incentive?

it's chicagoland. they are sucking money at every turn. they are one of the few places in the nation that taxes food at the grocery store. :roll:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I guess it is Chicagoland, my brother went out there a few years ago, and they happened to be able to catch a Cubs game. He said it cost them like $50 to park near the stadium.

OUCH!
    I guess it is Chicagoland, my brother went out there a few years ago, and they happened to be able to catch a Cubs game. He said it cost them like $50 to park near the stadium.

OUCH!

that's because there is NO parking by the stadium. and when you do find parking, they pack the cars in. to not take mass transit is asking for trouble. Wrigley is truely in the middle of a residential neighborhood

parking at the United Center and US Cell is a completly different. plenty of parking at those facilities.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,825
    81 wrote:
    I'm about 22 miles each way to get to work. It's usually a full tank per week. Public transportation isnt really an option for me which sucks.

bike to the metra station. :lol:

gf takes the metra into the city every day. i feel for her. she gets up at 5:30 to be downtown by 8ish. leaves work at 4:45 and gets home at 6. sucks. and when the train plows a car, forget about it. happened in bensenville one time. i drove out to pick her up and the cop guarding the 2nd car back wouldn't let her off. i guess i got a round of applause from the passengers when i told him he was an idiot. he was claiming all the passengers are witness's. :roll: fire fighters guarding the front car let her off. i thanked them for using common sense. :lol:

It seems like the Metra hits a car or someone jumps in front of one like once a week.

The reverse commute kills me. The ride out to Deerfield is fine, but the ride back into the city can be torture at times. But I think I can handle it for a year or two...I'm not ready to move out to the suburbs just yet. :lol:
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    Yeah, this is why I drive out to the suburbs to get gas...all I have to do is drive like 10 miles and it's already 10-20 cents cheaper than in the city. Never ever get gas downtown, they're the worst when it comes to gouging.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • brother123brother123 Posts: 792
    thank god I ride a bike to work
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,848
    Super was over $4.65 at all 4 of my usual stops. There is a mobil station in my town that has the highest prices Ive ever seen. Super was $4.78. Probably cost me $5 in gas to see which was cheapest. :lol:

Seriously, I need to get another car in the next few weeks and I am seriously considering spending as little as possible on a car that gets 35+MPG.
    It seems like the Metra hits a car or someone jumps in front of one like once a week.

Des Plains today. speaking....anyone here from Davidtrois. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    81 wrote:

OUCH!

that's because there is NO parking by the stadium. and when you do find parking, they pack the cars in. to not take mass transit is asking for trouble. Wrigley is truely in the middle of a residential neighborhood

parking at the United Center and US Cell is a completly different. plenty of parking at those facilities.

Safeco charges between $20-50 to park in the garage...depends on who they're playing. Yanks=$40-50, most other games $20. We either find free parking, or a place that charges $10 or less and walk 10 blocks. I'm a master at finding free parking, and I don't mind walking. (I still suck at parallel parking though)

Yesterday I paid 3.98/gal...$4.15/gal in Bellingham (by the Canadian border)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • jethrojam420jethrojam420 Posts: 1,075
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:

OUCH!

Safeco charges between $20-50 to park in the garage...depends on who they're playing. Yanks=$40-50, most other games $20. We either find free parking, or a place that charges $10 or less and walk 10 blocks. I'm a master at finding free parking, and I don't mind walking. (I still suck at parallel parking though)

Yesterday I paid 3.98/gal...$4.15/gal in Bellingham (by the Canadian border)

wait, so there are stadiums with free off street parking??? it costs 50 bucks to get a spot 2 miles away at a patriots game...and thats in the burbs.....oh and 4.09 for premium today...oh boy....
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,971
    brother123 wrote:
    thank god I ride a bike to work

Biking is the way to go and I hope more people consider it now that it's Spring. I've been commuting by bike for 16 years and the benefits far outweigh any perceived negatives (and the negatives aren't negatives for me). Save money, free from traffic lock-ups, stay in shape, reduce stress, low emissions, vitamin D and so on....
    I know some towns really stink to ride in, which is too bad--the ones designed and built around the car. Actually, Chicago has made good strides in the last 10 years to accommodate bikes.