we're number 1 - chicago leads nation in gas prices

8181 Posts: 58,276
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_localchi/ ... hon=602,il

wtf is up with the torono chick say 300 bucks to drive the 500 or so miles from toronto to chicago. assuming half the gas was bought in canada at 8 bucks a gallon and half in the states at 4 bucks gallon, math says she was getting about 10 miles per gallon.
81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Congratulations...it's expensive in Canada, not quite 8 a gallon.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • claurionclaurion Posts: 1
    $4.89 per gal. for reg. unleaded on Maui. We stay #1
  • Keep it going up! Chicago is also home to a pretty great public transit system. I'm hoping it hits $5 so people will consider not driving so much.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    U.S.A will get to 8 bucks a gallon, theres some speculating fuck from BP right now working on it.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Wow, I thought it would have been somewhere in Cali, like San Fran.

Hmmm.

People need to cut back on their use of gas or nothing is going to change. As long as people continue their same old habits, they're going to keep raising prices because they know people will pay it.

Public transportation people, try it, you'll like it. I love it.

and combine your trips, no more jumping in the car and just going. Be smart about it.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    claurion wrote:
    $4.89 per gal. for reg. unleaded on Maui. We stay #1

damn you hawaii
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited April 2011
    Keep it going up! Chicago is also home to a pretty great public transit system. I'm hoping it hits $5 so people will consider not driving so much.
    While that's nice and all, some of us have jobs where public transportation is not an option. My job is 15 miles one way and my girlfriend is 25 miles the other way. Nothing to get me to work and maybe about 6 hrs of transferring buses if I wanted to get to my girlfriends. :?

This gas is shaving off a significant amount of money that I would normally be putting into my life savings. I'm driving a Civic too.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
    Keep it going up! Chicago is also home to a pretty great public transit system. I'm hoping it hits $5 so people will consider not driving so much.

that's not going to happen anytime soon here. :lol:

public transist is great if you live and work near an L stop. otherwise it's a pita. seriously doubt i could get to the office via public transportation in under an hour. i'll have to dig up the pace route map some tiem

edit..

if i took pace, in a perfect world, it would take about 51 minutes to make the trip. i'd have to walk a mile to get to the bus. it would cost $2 bucks. currently (with gas at $4.29) costs me $1.40 in gas and takes about 20 minutes and i don't have to deal with the crazies.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    edited April 2011
    well...if you HAVE to be number one in something :roll:

got gas over the weekend here in PA $3.84 not as bad as I'd thought it would be

however, pre '76 oh those were the days :)

in the late 70s early 80s due to gas prices/"shortage" (laughable) our household quickly went from this:

03ISG294520650D.jpeg

harley-davidson-panhead.jpg

chevrolet-bel-air-35.jpg

to THIS:

g5.jpg

77rd400-blue-side-shot-usa-300w.jpg

bug50.jpg

what FUN we had sitting in line for blocks on odd and even days to try to fill up a bike before the pumps went dry..and pity the fool who left the house at 6 a.m. on a sunny day only to arrive home at 4 in a hail storm..OUCH!!! yep..those were the days alright :roll: :lol:
    Post edited by StillHere on
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • cbrunelle783cbrunelle783 Posts: 1,025
    I put $40 in my SENTRA yesterday.... it filled it up and it was almost empty but still my SENTRA! I almost want to just keep it as close to full as possible, like get 4 gallons here, 4 gallons there and not have to replace the whole tank but I think that would be more expensive to do.
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    81 wrote:

that's not going to happen anytime soon here. :lol:

public transist is great if you live and work near an L stop. otherwise it's a pita. seriously doubt i could get to the office via public transportation in under an hour. i'll have to dig up the pace route map some tiem

edit..

if i took pace, in a perfect world, it would take about 51 minutes to make the trip. i'd have to walk a mile to get to the bus. it would cost $2 bucks. currently (with gas at $4.29) costs me $1.40 in gas and takes about 20 minutes and i don't have to deal with the crazies.

I understand that, it has to be convenient. For me it is, I live in Jersey and when I would drive to Philly it would take me over an hour, sometimes an hour and 20 minutes, just because of traffic. Taking the train and a bus, I can get here in about 40 minutes.

Between the cost of gas and the toll on the bridge, it's definitely cheaper for me to take public transportation.
    I put $40 in my SENTRA yesterday.... it filled it up and it was almost empty but still my SENTRA! I almost want to just keep it as close to full as possible, like get 4 gallons here, 4 gallons there and not have to replace the whole tank but I think that would be more expensive to do.

if prices are rising, it's better to buy more gas less often. when prices are falling, it's better to buy less gas more often. :P

i just fill up sometimes in the 50 miles that are driven after the light comes on. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,825
    Gob wrote:
    While that's nice and all, some of us have jobs where public transportation is not an option. My job is 15 miles one way and my girlfriend is 25 miles the other way. Nothing to get me to work and maybe about 6 hrs of transferring buses if I wanted to get to my girlfriends. :?

This gas is shaving off a significant amount of money that I would normally be putting into my life savings. I'm driving a Civic too.

I'm about 22 miles each way to get to work. It's usually a full tank per week. Public transportation isnt really an option for me which sucks.
  • cbrunelle783cbrunelle783 Posts: 1,025
    81 wrote:

if prices are rising, it's better to buy more gas less often. when prices are falling, it's better to buy less gas more often. :P

i just fill up sometimes in the 50 miles that are driven after the light comes on. :lol:

Yeah, I use my reserve tank too but I don't like to. I knew I needed gas last night and I was close to a station that was "cheap" 3.87. The one down the street was 3.99 so I filled up.

I remember going on a school trip to New Jersey when I was in high school, so it was either '98 or '99 and gas was .99
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years
    I'm about 22 miles each way to get to work. It's usually a full tank per week. Public transportation isnt really an option for me which sucks.

bike to the metra station. :lol:

gf takes the metra into the city every day. i feel for her. she gets up at 5:30 to be downtown by 8ish. leaves work at 4:45 and gets home at 6. sucks. and when the train plows a car, forget about it. happened in bensenville one time. i drove out to pick her up and the cop guarding the 2nd car back wouldn't let her off. i guess i got a round of applause from the passengers when i told him he was an idiot. he was claiming all the passengers are witness's. :roll: fire fighters guarding the front car let her off. i thanked them for using common sense. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

Yeah, I use my reserve tank too but I don't like to. I knew I needed gas last night and I was close to a station that was "cheap" 3.87. The one down the street was 3.99 so I filled up.

I remember going on a school trip to New Jersey when I was in high school, so it was either '98 or '99 and gas was .99

i had a motorcycle in college. my weekly gas bill was like 5 bucks. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    just be happy, it Toronto where i live gas is $1.36 l. thats over $5 a gallon. they are saying the price will go up to at least 1.60l in the summer. thats $6.40 a gallon
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,258
    I drive 60 miles to&from work everyday i'm gonna have to look into car pooling and changin my hrs of work to an early schedule , this blows fucking gas company's have us by the balls as a matter of fact this whole world is just so fucked up , i need to move to another Planet ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    fife wrote:
    just be happy, it Toronto where i live gas is $1.36 l. thats over $5 a gallon. they are saying the price will go up to at least 1.60l in the summer. thats $6.40 a gallon

we might catch you by memorial day. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    fife wrote:

we might catch you by memorial day. :lol:

no cause if you are paying more we will pay even more. the funny thing is that America buys most of their oil from us.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    ride a bike! ... :mrgreen:
    polaris_x wrote:

than i would be sweaty
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    polaris_x wrote:

I do alot
    81 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

than i would be sweaty

ride slower ... :D

plus, assuming you are out of shape ... riding will get you in shape and thus your sweat amount will reduce due to being fitter ...
    fife wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

I do alot

seriously ... i live in toronto too and its the best way to get around ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    81 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

than i would be sweaty

ride slower ... :D

plus, assuming you are out of shape ... riding will get you in shape and thus your sweat amount will reduce due to being fitter ...

or i get run over by a car. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    polaris_x wrote:
    fife wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

I do alot

seriously ... i live in toronto too and its the best way to get around ...

I ride my bike every day. I am a social worker and have to be all over the city and most of the time i ride my bike except when i am running late. I do admit that i do have a car also as most of my friends live outside of the city and i don't feel like riding my mike all the way to St. Catherine.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I live just north of Boston and here's my dilemma:

With gas prices at close to $4 a gal I am still saving by driving to work. I drive about 40-50 miles a day roundtrip and I get free parking. I drive a pickup truck and I usually put about $80 per tank every 2 weeks (i don't use the truck on the weekends anymore) The local T station charges $5.50/day to park in the lot and $2 each way to ride the subway so $4 RT. That's 9 bucks a day so $45/week to get to work. I am saving $10 every 2 weeks by driving. It's all great to tout public transit but when it costs more to ride the train then to drive, your not getting my business just yet. Nevermind the delays everyday, it takes longer to get home via the train.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
    youngster wrote:

With gas prices at close to $4 a gal I am still saving by driving to work. I drive about 40-50 miles a day roundtrip and I get free parking. I drive a pickup truck and I usually put about $80 per tank every 2 weeks (i don't use the truck on the weekends anymore) The local T station charges $5.50/day to park in the lot and $2 each way to ride the subway so $4 RT. That's 9 bucks a day so $45/week to get to work. I am saving $10 every 2 weeks by driving. It's all great to tout public transit but when it costs more to ride the train then to drive, your not getting my business just yet. Nevermind the delays everyday, it takes longer to get home via the train.

I had the same problem for many years. I lived outside of the city and had to drive my car 45 minutes to get to the subway and then pay for parking and then pay the fee. at work i get free parking and when i made all the calculation i realized that it was costing me more money to take PT. What i also noticed was that my day was planned by when the subway was running. I didn't like that. main reason why i moved to the city.
    youngster wrote:

to be fair ... that isn't the complete calculation ... you have to factor in the cost to own a car ...

insurance, purchase cost, interest (if you had to take a loan out), maintenance ... etc ...