TSA Pats Down 6 Yr-Old

Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.newser.com/story/116285/tsa- ... r-old.html

A video getting quite a bit of attention today shows a TSA agent patting down a 6-year-old girl. The video was posted on YouTube yesterday, Jezebel notes, and it shows the New Orleans agent running her hand over Anna Drexel's chest, groin, and inside her waistband. When asked by the mother if they can simply re-scan her, the agent says, "No."

In the video, mom Selena claims her daughter is also being given a "drug test." Jezebel reports that a TSA rep denied that claim to the Boston Globe, saying, "We screen passengers for dangerous weapons and explosives. I realize the mother of this little girl speculates that we're going to test her for drugs, but that couldn't be further from the truth." (The Globe's story doesn't appear to include that denial.) A Good Morning America report on the incident notes that the TSA says it is "exploring additional ways to focus its resources and move beyond a one-size-fits-all system."
My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    WOW, what's the world coming to?

*shakes head in disappointment*
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    between TSA and airline policies/fee's, they make flying as painful as possible.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I wouldnt be surprised if they dont have a dollar feeder soon on the metal detector you walk through

:lol:

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,731
    I saw this last night on the news and I don't see what the big deal is. While TSA clearly is not protecting us entirely (or at all really), I don't give a fuck if everyone has to walk around the airports naked as long I am safe. You think a terrorist wouldn't give their kid something to carry for them, knowing they wouldn't get patted down?
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I saw this last night on the news and I don't see what the big deal is. While TSA clearly is not protecting us entirely (or at all really), I don't give a fuck if everyone has to walk around the airports naked as long I am safe. You think a terrorist wouldn't give their kid something to carry for them, knowing they wouldn't get patted down?

I guess...but where's the limit ?

Undressing my 1 year old and checking her diaper ?

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    i dearl with all this..but it does take the fun out of vacation time
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Good question, I don't know what the limit is. I just know the TSA should be doing everything they can to keep us safe
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,598
    edited April 2011
    wouldn't think it would be beyond a terrorist to hide some kind of weapon on a little kid. they obviously have no regard for human life as it is. kid looked shifty anway. ;) i have no qualms with this.

and i had no issues at all on my honeymoon last month.

edit--if this was september 20th, 2001, i don't think people would be outraged too much. how quickly people can forget how dangerous this world can be....
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
    wouldn't think it would be beyond a terrorist to hide some kind of weapon on a little kid. they obviously have no regard for human life as it is. kid looked shifty anway. ;) i have no qualms with this.

Agreed.

And I fly quite a bit (2-3 times per month) and have no clue what all the complaining is about, never really have any issues.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

beat me to it. pat down everyone for all I care. I have nothing to hide
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Ummm...it may come down to that. For years people used kids as drug mules. When I was a little kid, they took my teddy bear away (she literally snatched it out of my arms) and put it on the scanner...that was in the early 80s too.

I agree with Cliffy, and TSA said that the agent followed all the rules. Fine, adjust the pat downs for kids, but terrorists are not above using any tactics for hiding bombs. If TSA excludes certain groups, it screams 'Hey terrorists! We won't screen these people, so they make the best mules!'
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Agreed.

And I fly quite a bit (2-3 times per month) and have no clue what all the complaining is about, never really have any issues.

right. i edited my post after you replied. but something like 9/11 can happen again at anytime. people just want to forget about shit like that go about their merry way without being realistic.
    www.myspace.com

edit--if this was september 20th, 2001, i don't think people would be outraged too much. how quickly people can forget how dangerous this world can be....

shifty is an underrated word. I need to start using that more often :thumbup:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    excludes certain groups'

i'm a white middle aged man. leave me the fuck alone. :mrgreen:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Agreed.

right. i edited my post after you replied. but something like 9/11 can happen again at anytime. people just want to forget about shit like that go about their merry way without being realistic.

Agreed again. I am all for TSA doing whatever they have to to keep planes in the air, whether it slightly inconveniences me or not
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    excludes certain groups'

so was timothy mcveigh.

hey. oh.
    www.myspace.com
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    excludes certain groups'

so was timothy mcveigh.

hey. oh.

are you suggesting we send a uhaul employee along with every uhual rental to ensure our safety?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    edited April 2011
    81 wrote:

Hold the phone! Since when did 37 get put in the middle-aged category? :lol:

BTW, I didn't mean they should not do their job. What I find absolutely absurd that we even have to do this at all...It always makes me wonder about every event that led up to all this need for protection...could they have been prevented? If so, why weren't they?

The US used to be the land of the free...what's happening over there? :?

:think: Maybe this thread should have been on the AMT... :lol::lol:
    Post edited by ShimmyMommy on
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    so was timothy mcveigh.

hey. oh.

are you suggesting we send a uhaul employee along with every uhual rental to ensure our safety?

no. that is not what i am suggesting.

i am merely comparing you to a homegrown terrorist. :lol:
    www.myspace.com

timmy wasn't middle aged. your comparison is null and void
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,848
    Id like to know what prompted the search. What protocol suggests that a white, American, 6 year old female warrants a physical search? Random searches?

I did not see anything inappropriate.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,435
    can't believe there are some on here suggesting it's ok for TSA to put their hands on a 6-year's old groin area and inside their wasteband. insane. i'm all ok with the full body scans but touching in those areas whether a 6-year girl or me shouldn't be allowed without cause. no common sense in the world or used in these cases.

edit: and if that was my child no way i'm allowing that to continue. i would have stopped it. arrest me i don't care but there was no need for that thorough of a pat down of a freakin 6-year old. maybe maybe if her clothes were baggy or bulky maybe i can see some cause, but that was ridiculous.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    If anyone can help me number crunch here, lets say terrorists blow up one plane a year.. wouldn't flying still be safer than driving a car?

Is all this crap really worth it???

And why the deal with planes? There's a million other things terrortsists could blow up and kill just as many, if not more people. Why are we only overly protected of planes?? Because of 9/11?

If they start blowing up buses, will we get pat down before every bus trip? You can cram a lot of people on a bus..

Living in fear is what they want. If you feel safer because of all the security, you are already a victim of terrorism.
    Living in fear is what they want. If you feel safer because of all the security, you are already a victim of terrorism.

well stated. :clap:
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,848
    If anyone can help me number crunch here, lets say terrorists blow up one plane a year.. wouldn't flying still be safer than driving a car?

And why the deal with planes? There's a million other things terrortsists could blow up and kill just as many, if not more people. Why are we only overly protected of planes?? Because of 9/11?

If they start blowing up buses, will we get pat down before every bus trip? You can cram a lot of people on a bus..

I dont live in fear. I dont mind the extra precautions at the airport. And dont give them any more ideas. ;)
    The airlines should hire hot chicks to do the screening. Then everyone wins
    81 wrote:

timmy wasn't middle aged. your comparison is null and void

neither are you.... :?
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    The airlines should hire hot chicks to do the screening. Then everyone wins

BANG.
    DONE.

and this seriously has nothing to do with living in fear.
    www.myspace.com
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    Granted, I know the screening is nowhere near the extent of that of the TSA but do you ever recall anyone causing an uproar when the NFL began conducting pat downs at the gates of all the stadiums? I just think people overreact to this kind of stuff. As long as the pat downs are conducted by someone of the same gender and under the supervision of the parent or guardian I dont think this is too bad. Oh, and +1 for hot chicks conducting the searches ;)
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013

ummm...it was just in the last year or so, a terrorist rented an SUV, planted a bomb, and left the vehicle in the middle of times square...someone thought it was suspicious so the cops checked it out, because the terrorist was too dumb to hook up the bomb correctly, it never would have went off...and another middle eastern man was caught at the Canadian border with large amounts of explosive making materials and maps of Seattle, Portland and LA in his car in 1999, BEFORE 9/11...google 'terrorist plot' and many news articles will pop up-terrorists are not above planting bombs anywhere.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless