Options

I can never decide what I think the ultimate PJ opener is.....

Comments

• Options
    SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    Go! perfect opener works every time.
  • Options
    Spot In The SkySpot In The Sky Posts: 1,175
    Not a fan of Go or Corduroy as an opener, and Ive seen both.
    Ive never seen Sometimes or Oceans but am hoping to on this tour since they brought those back.
    Release or Wash are the best. I did see Elderly as an opener which was OK but agree with most others that Severed Hand was a much better opener than expected.
    I also have a special place in my heart for Of The Girl
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • Options
    pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
    LOVE Of a Girl as an opener...release is my 2nd favorite :-)
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Options
    coach pjcoach pj Posts: 215
    Release, Long Road, WWS and Oceans for me.
  • Options
    prince119prince119 Posts: 104
    I saw them open with Inside Job and it was stellar.

I like Last Exit alot as an opener.
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    "The waiting drove me mad..."

That line should definetely be heard near the beginning of a concert...you're waiting for (sometimes) YEARS just to see them again.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    Evolution6579Evolution6579 Posts: 624
    Columbus, Ohio in 2000.

"Romance" was a fun way to start off Betterman.

I have this boot. It was the first 200 boot that I bought. I love Breakerfall as the opener and Romanza is an AWESOME lead-in to Betterman.

I thought Why Go was an awesome opener for Lolla. On their forums, people were talking a bunch of shit about PJ and not wanting to see them. People saying they were going to leave before PJ to avoid a rush. Then hearing those drums bust out and the intensity with which they played that song. Amazing.

On a side note, I don't think anybody left early. It seemed like the whole fucking city of Chicago was there.

Wash is a good opener. I've heard the Champaign 03 boot and DTE was a good opener, too. Sometimes is awesome, too.

I think Hold On, if they ever play it, or Who You Are would be good openers. First time being played in a while, or ever, would make the crowd go apeshit.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    TWHoltTWHolt Moncton, NB Posts: 401
    Long Road in Montreal 03 was fantastic....so was Release in Toronto 06, 2nd night. But I'm going to have to say Hard to Imagine in Halifax was my ultimate opener.
    |Montreal 03|Halifax 05|St. John's 1 05|St. John's 2 05|Toronto 1 06|Toronto 2 06|NYC 1 08|NYC 2 08|Toronto 09|Hartford 10|Boston 10|Newark 10|NYC 1 10|NYC 2 10|Alpine Valley 1 11|Alpine Valley 2 11|Montreal 11|Hartford 13|Ottawa 16|Chicago 1 16|Chicago 2 16|Boston 1 18|Quebec City 22|Ottawa 22|Next~Boston 1 24|Next~Boston 2 24|
  • Options
    ViggoViggo Posts: 274
    It will always be Release...
    It's okay, It's okay
    You don't have to run and hide away
    It's okay, it's okay
    I love you anyway
    2007: Pearl Jam concert in Düsseldorf (21. June)
    2007: Chris Cornell concert in Kristiansand (2. July)
    2007: The Who concert in Kristiansand (4. July)
  • Options
    edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
    There's a bunch that I haven't heard yet that have been mentioned (Sometimes, Oceans, Wash) but I've been thinking about this lately: with all the talk about bringing back WMA, how awesome would it be as an opener?!?!? Definitely has the "build" that is in so many of their staple openers.
    would really just like to see WMA period... heard a bit of it at one show, but about 2 lines worth.

would love to see them play some rarer stuff like they did in Philly in 05. Opened with Wash, was awesome.

Although I think it would be great to start off with something fast, the closest I ever got was the Life Wasted Reprise into Life Wasted.

How about Army Reserve, I am Mine, Fatal (one of my favorites at the moment.)?
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    PJAMEDVED wrote:
    interstellar

then right into.....corduroy

I've never agreed more with anything in my life
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,950
    Seen many great songs open. My first concert experience saw Long Road open! Wow. Lots of great choices. I love Wash from Gorge boot. Oceans Sometimes and Release all worthy. I love the slow build ups before ripping into hard and fast tracks like animal, go, last exit, severed hand etc.

Inside Job is the new Release i feel. Just my opinion. With this tour being so short they should open each show with a different opener. They plenty to choose from.

Show openers ive been to include
    Long Road...Do the Evolution...Animal (Melb #1 98)
    Small Town...Interstellar...Corduroy...Save You (Melb #2 03)
    Cant Keep...Breakerfall...Save You...Ghost (Melb #3 03)
    Waster Reprise..Life Wasted...Animal...Spin (Melb #1 06)
    Long Road...Corduroy...Hail Hail...Do the Evolution (Melb #3 06)

I love it too when Ed walks on and just says "Good evening" before the first note.
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    EquallyWorthlessEquallyWorthless Posts: 3,993
    got to be Release or Wash

I love Go for the fast openers..
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    ScottandPearlJamScottandPearlJam Posts: 1,126
    It has to be RELEASE haven't heard it live in a long time.
    Please MSG 1 RELEASE.

Scott
    10/01/96 9/08/98 9/10/98 9/11/98 8/23/00 8/24/00
    8/25/00 8/27/00 8/29/00 8/30/00 9/01/00 9/02/00
    4/28/03 4/29/03 4/30/03 5/02/03 7/05/03 7/06/03
    7/08/03 7/09/03 7/14/03 <---front row shook hands with ed.
    10/3/05 5/13/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 6/01/06 6/3/06
    6/24/06 6/19/08 6/20/08 6/24/08 6/25/08 10/27/09
    10/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 5/15/10 5/18/10 5/20/10
    5/21/10 9/7/11
  • Options
    FrankieJFrankieJ Posts: 602

Show openers ive been to include
    Long Road...Do the Evolution...Animal (Melb #1 98)
    Small Town...Interstellar...Corduroy...Save You (Melb #2 03)
    Cant Keep...Breakerfall...Save You...Ghost (Melb #3 03)
    Waster Reprise..Life Wasted...Animal...Spin (Melb #1 06)
    Long Road...Corduroy...Hail Hail...Do the Evolution (Melb #3 06)

How is there 3 or 4 show openers per show???
    I thought you can only open(start) a show once.
    GO GIANTS
    GO DEVILS
    7/14/03-PNC NJ ~ 6/1/06-CAA1 NJ ~ 6/3/06-CAA2 NJ ~ 8/5/07-Lolla IL ~ 6/24/08-MSG1 ~ 6/25/08-MSG2 ~ 8/7/08-NJPAC (eV Solo)

"I'm feeling kinda righteous right now...with my Bad@$$-M0therf*ck!n'-Ukulele!"
    -eV 8/7
  • Options
    edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
    Columbus, Ohio in 2000. The entire setlist only included two songs off Ten (plus YL at the end), but it was a very deep setlist. Not one for a Pearl Jam newbie. No Alive, no Jeremy, no Even Flow.\

Philly 05 was similar.

set list: Wash, Hail Hail, Brain of J, spin the black circle, given, alone, evenflow (probably the best version I've ever heard) , green disease, faithful, not for you/modern girl, leatherman, betterman/save it for later, nothingman, once, bleed for me, blood

1st encore: around the bend, harvest moon, hard to imagine, crown of thorns (never thought I would see this live!!!), crazy mary (wild - the amp blew up in the middle of the song & ed didn't want to finish it cause it "freaked him out" - but he did) alive

2nd encore: last kiss, in my tree, do the evolution, sonic reducer, little sister, leaving here, RITFW, YL

Not for a PJ newbie either. My husband didn't know 75% of the songs that night, but he still to this day (he's going to his 11th show this summer - & now loves PJ as much as me) says that that was the best show he has ever seen or heard....... I agree.
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
  • Options
    piaget77piaget77 Posts: 156
    RELEASE or WASH.

Would love to hear Oceans or Sometimes as an opener. One day.
  • Options
    NotoriousIMPNotoriousIMP Posts: 141
    Love Release as an opener. Very special song to me. Hope they play it on the 25th it will be 26th year anniversary since I lost my dad.
    But I got to say, since hearing "Why Go" at lollapalooza 07' boot, thats a great opening song. Really got the crowd going. Great boot as well.
    96' Randalls island II
    98' NJ, MSG II
    00' Jones Beach I,II,III
    03' Nassau, MSG I, II
    05' Montreal, Ottawa, Borgata II
    06' NJ I, II
    08' Camden II, MSG II, Hartford, Beacon NY, Ed Ved NYC I
    09' Philly 4
    10' MSG I,II
    11' Ed Ved Hartford
    13' Chicago, Brooklyn II
    15' GCF NY
    16' Philly II, MSG I
  • Options
    ChazzChazz Somerset, UK Posts: 1,090
    It has to be RELEASE haven't heard it live in a long time.
    Please MSG 1 RELEASE.

Scott

I have never heard this live and am desparate to - so MSG 1 or 2 would be great, pretty please :o
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    BeerBaron wrote:
    I don't like hearing Go anywhere in the show :) Soooo sick of that song live...
    It sucks when that happens. :(

I just love the song.

Go straight into Animal would be awesome. And while they're at it they might aswell just open the show with all of Vs! :D
    What the fuck is this world?
  • Options
    ramblinponyramblinpony Posts: 115
    I loved me some Release, then they opened with Why Go at Lolla.

Fantastic, just fantastic!
  • Options
    Big EdBig Ed Posts: 331
    I'd say LBC is my favorite opener.
    Ignoring Rusted Signs
  • Options
    G-forceG-force Posts: 218
    Big Ed wrote:
    I'd say LBC is my favorite opener.

I'd say LBC will be the opener for Mansfield II just by virtue of the date
  • Options
    Big EdBig Ed Posts: 331
    What's signifigant about the date? (I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed)
    Ignoring Rusted Signs
  • Options
    annenomiesannenomies Posts: 165
    Murderers wrote:
    I was thinking about it today. I always think Release is always the best opener to get a show going. It sorta connects the crowd, allowing everybody's energy to flow through each other for the rest of the night.

But then I started thinking that Sometimes would make a hell of a good opener. The mellow guitar, Ed's voice, and just the brilliant ambient feel to the song. It always makes a great build up to the following song (Hail Hail is probably the best choice to follow this one).

And then there's Wash. Oh, Wash. What an amazing song. I can only dream of seeing PJ open a show with this one. It seems like when the crowd hear the first note, they just know it is going to be a perfect night.

There's a lot of others too, but I'm tired atm. What are other peoples opinions?

They opened with Wash at the Philly show in '05 - it was great
  • Options
    Red_DotRed_Dot Posts: 1,454
    In my Tree.....
    Take me for a ride before we leave...
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    hard to imagine

i hope they open with this at MSG ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    cd21millercd21miller Columbia, MO Posts: 302
    release is the best way to go for the ultimate in PJ openers, BUT i got to thinking...

as much as a lot may have thought lolla last year was a pretty generic setlist/show, opening with why go kicked ass.
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    I love the slow build ups before ripping into hard and fast tracks like animal, go, last exit, severed hand etc.

Inside Job is the new Release i feel. Just my opinion. With this tour being so short they should open each show with a different opener. They plenty to choose from.

they played similar short tour in europe last year -Long Road, Release, Sometimes, Why Go, RVM, Porch, Go, Better Man, and Interstellar Overdrive/Corduroy all opened...so 12 shows, 9 different openers

And regarding the slow building concert , Katowice II 2000 always wins for me: What a brilliant boot
    Release, Of The Girl, Sleight Of Hand, Thin Air, Insignificance, Grievance, Corduroy, Animal, Hail Hail, State Of Love And Trust...etc
  • Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    annenomies wrote:
    They opened with Wash at the Philly show in '05 - it was great
    And at the Gorge in 06.
    What the fuck is this world?