Options

I can never decide what I think the ultimate PJ opener is.....

Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
edited May 2008 in The Porch
I was thinking about it today. I always think Release is always the best opener to get a show going. It sorta connects the crowd, allowing everybody's energy to flow through each other for the rest of the night.

But then I started thinking that Sometimes would make a hell of a good opener. The mellow guitar, Ed's voice, and just the brilliant ambient feel to the song. It always makes a great build up to the following song (Hail Hail is probably the best choice to follow this one).

And then there's Wash. Oh, Wash. What an amazing song. I can only dream of seeing PJ open a show with this one. It seems like when the crowd hear the first note, they just know it is going to be a perfect night.

There's a lot of others too, but I'm tired atm. What are other peoples opinions?
What the fuck is this world?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jeremyjeremy Posts: 409
    breakerfall...
    and get ready for an awesome show..
    ''walk the bridges before you burn them down...''
    and always remember ''it's no crime to escape!!!"
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    Long Road
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,098
    i like release and breakfall
    but man, severed hand in hartford '06 was sweet!
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    PlantPage55PlantPage55 Posts: 136
    Release

It's a slow build to a huge rush...

"RELEEEEEASE ME!!!!"
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    Release!
  • Options
    jchais01jchais01 Posts: 129
    Love Long Road as an opener!
    "Delight in Our Youth"
  • Options
    luke.harvey3luke.harvey3 Posts: 283
    Long Road for me...
    Would quite like to see Inside Job open!
  • Options
    G-forceG-force Posts: 218
    Release, Oceans and Long Road for me.

However DTE was a great surprise in Champaign '03. High energy start to a wild experience. I can guess what the opener will be this June 30......
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,885
    My favorite is Of the Girl.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    G-forceG-force Posts: 218
    Long Road for me...
    Would quite like to see Inside Job open!

Ditto for me.... IJ was made to open.
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    It's got to be Release. The opening of that song with the crowd going nuts is amazing!!
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    I believe I saw them open once with Indifference. Maybe it was an encore or something....but it gave me chills. :)

Its a mellow starter, but the way Eds voice builds was pretty impressive
  • Options
    chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    I like........

Release
    Oceans
    Long Road

and.....

LAST EXIT!!!
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Options
    poochpooch Posts: 15
    Corduroy!!!
    Children are born with wings, teachers help them to fly
  • Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    Release

It's a slow build to a huge rush...

"RELEEEEEASE ME!!!!"
    10X
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    IAmMyselfIAmMyself Posts: 667
    Murderers wrote:
    I was thinking about it today. I always think Release is always the best opener to get a show going. It sorta connects the crowd, allowing everybody's energy to flow through each other for the rest of the night.

But then I started thinking that Sometimes would make a hell of a good opener. The mellow guitar, Ed's voice, and just the brilliant ambient feel to the song. It always makes a great build up to the following song (Hail Hail is probably the best choice to follow this one).

And then there's Wash. Oh, Wash. What an amazing song. I can only dream of seeing PJ open a show with this one. It seems like when the crowd hear the first note, they just know it is going to be a perfect night.

There's a lot of others too, but I'm tired atm. What are other peoples opinions?

I saw PJ open with wash at my 1st show, Pudue Univ-3/17/94~I've never looked back since! I even have it on my lic plate.
    "Please help me to help you, help yourself." EV
  • Options
    Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    Release or Wash
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • Options
    cd21millercd21miller Columbia, MO Posts: 302
    been privileged enough to see release and of the girl twice (amongst others). as far as the ultimate PJ show...release is it.

however, i saw them do present tense in st. louis once and that was pretty cool.

hoping for a long road or oceans for this tour in mansfield or hartford.

also saw betterman in san diego...not a first choice for an opener. seemed out of place.
  • Options
    Wash and Release are such great songs to start the flow of joy.
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    Boston1 2004
    Ottowa 2005
    Boston 1&2 2006
    Mansfield 1&2 2008
    Vedder Leg2-Boston 1&2 2008
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    irieinindy wrote:
    I saw PJ open with wash at my 1st show, Pudue Univ-3/17/94~I've never looked back since! I even have it on my lic plate.

I had tickets to Chicago Stadium, and won the Lottery for tix at Purdue, so I gave my tix to my roomie and best friend so they could see them at PU...what a fucking idiot I was! Sometimes generosity can bite your ass. man fucking Wash and I missed the bomb threat...

Release in Chicago in unlike any other, Long road is good, Oceans ok, Sometimes ok, Severed was better than I thought. All Or None was fucking great

Gotta go with Release
  • Options
    There's a bunch that I haven't heard yet that have been mentioned (Sometimes, Oceans, Wash) but I've been thinking about this lately: with all the talk about bringing back WMA, how awesome would it be as an opener?!?!? Definitely has the "build" that is in so many of their staple openers.
    6/3/06 East Rutherford
    6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    6/19/08 Camden
    6/20/08 Camden
    6/22/08 DC
    6/25/08 MSG
    8/4/08 EV NYC
    8/5/08 EV NYC
    8/7/08 EV Newark
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    jeremy wrote:
    breakerfall...
    and get ready for an awesome show..

Never thought of that song as an opener... I bet that would be a killer opener actually.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    Probably would have to be Release or Love Boat Captain "let the show begin"...

I saw Can't Keep as an opener in 2003. They could have done better. The show before that was Long Road, and the shows after the one I saw were Animal, followed by Last Exit.

The guy behind me screaming for Animal was at the wrong show. No way in hell the band could have heard him -- I was about halfway towards the back of the seated pavilion. (Grassy area behind the seats.)
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    Surf RiderSurf Rider Posts: 813
    interstellar

then right into.....corduroy
  • Options
    Never thought of that song as an opener... I bet that would be a killer opener actually.

Columbus, Ohio in 2000. The entire setlist only included two songs off Ten (plus YL at the end), but it was a very deep setlist. Not one for a Pearl Jam newbie. No Alive, no Jeremy, no Even Flow.\

Sonic Youth opened.

Information from (http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/fanscene/set2000b.html)

Set List: Breakerfall, Whipping, Spin The Black Circle, Hail Hail, Corduroy, In My Tree, Dissident, Given To Fly, Nothing As It Seems, Grievance, Light Years, Daughter/(Androgynous Mind), Lukin, Wishlist, Off He Goes, (Romance, classical song Eddie learned in Barcelona)/Better Man, State of Love and Trust, Insignificance, Rearviewmirror;
    1st enc: Present Tense, Last Exit, Once, Small Town, Leatherman, Nothingman, Porch;
    2nd enc: Last Kiss, Yellow Ledbetter

I didn't go, but i've listened to the bootleg probably a few hundred times by now...

I had heard a rumor that the show started late. Matt Cameron makes up for that by drumming at triple speed (ok, really, really fast.) During the intro to In My Tree, it almost sounds like some sort of jungle beat.

The Daughter tag was a sing-a-long with the crowd responding to Ed. After that song, Ed commented "Great job singing. Here's another singalong" and went straight into Lukin. :)

Wishlist had the line "Detroit-made Camero's hood"

Off He Goes had the "quarter to ten" line at 9:45 PM and the crowd responded favorably. (I was hoping for this to occur in 2003, but it didn't. :()

"Romance" was a fun way to start off Betterman.

Before Present Tense, Ed addressed the crowd by saying "there's enough people here to start a revolution" and then commenting on a (McCready for President) shirt that someone threw up to him by saying he'd have to vote for Ralph (Nader). He did say that if McCready became President, then "recording would have to take a back seat to the country's needs, but...what the fuck"... if you listen carefully, you can probably hear someone booing.

The Last Kiss straight into YL was a good way to end the show.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    PJAMEDVED wrote:
    interstellar

then right into.....corduroy

August 18, 2000, Deer Creek Music Center; Indianapolis, IN

Even better, their 10th Anniversary show in Las Vegas, NV.

:)
  • Options
    danedane Posts: 1,062
    Corduroy, just to scream "The waiting drove me mad"!
    Alternative Go. It's a mercyless opener. No slow build-up. Just an instant release of energy. They opened with it in Berlin 06 and I still get the chills, when I listen to the boot and hear the roar from the crowd in that 1/2 second brake after the first chords.
    Roskilde 30-06-00
    Berlin 23-09-06
    Copenhagen 26-06-07
    :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
    "This is not wine that I'm drinking tonight. This is Gatorade!" EV-Copenhagen 26-06-07
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    Murderers wrote:

i saw them open with sometimes in germany in 2000 amazing but would love release or brain of jfk!
    danny d
  • Options
    Oz JammerOz Jammer Posts: 9,858
    My faves are Long Road and Release, but hearing them open with Alive in Newcastle was special, as was Betterman at the 3rd Sydney concert in 06
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    dane wrote:
    Corduroy, just to scream "The waiting drove me mad"!
    Alternative Go. It's a mercyless opener. No slow build-up. Just an instant release of energy. They opened with it in Berlin 06 and I still get the chills, when I listen to the boot and hear the roar from the crowd in that 1/2 second brake after the first chords.

Yeah!! Go at that show was surprisingly great opener!

also thought Inside Job was a great opener..Why Go just below those....