Options

Ever feel you listen to PJ too much and abuse listening to other music?

Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
edited July 2008 in The Porch
Cos I do. :(

:D
What the fuck is this world?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    i used to feel that way. then i gave other music a try.

and it turns out that there is some really fucking good music out there.
    My whole life looked like a picture of a sunny day.

Summerfest 95, 06 Alpine 92, 98, 00, 03 Chicago 95, 98, 00, 03, 06, 07 Grand Rapids 04, St. John's 05 Milwaukee 08
  • Options
    catwomancatwoman Posts: 256
    Sometimes I get in a rut & have only PJ or only Beatles in my CD player in my car. But I also have XM, so I can listen to other music when I realize it.
  • Options
    ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    About 3 years i used to be stuck because i only really listened to PJ and had nothing else to listen to. So, if i felt i needed a break i had nothing to turn to!

It's much better now, because i have Springsteen, MMJ, Neil Young, R.E.M., Kings of Leon, Katie Melua etc to listen to.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    I did . . . . in 1995 :)
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Pats54Pats54 Posts: 276
    I listen to other music. But it has been mostly PJ since about Feb. Just can't get into ahything else right now.
  • Options
    WHAT OTHER MUSIC??!! :D:D
  • Options
    WalnutsWalnuts Posts: 15
    every minute of every day
    #306XXX

DC 96, 98, 00
    Vegas 03
    Boston 04
    Toronto 06
    Hartford 06, 08, 10, 11
    NYC 08, 08
    Albany 09
  • Options
    vedder360vedder360 Posts: 97
    Murderers wrote:
    Cos I do. :(

:D

You're not alone!
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    i love tons of amazing music besides pj ..

but VERRRY commonly i fall into grooves where all i can listen to is pj for MONTHS.

yeaaaa, i'm in that phase now. i just refuse to play anything else =o
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,891
    Let me answer as I am in the process of listening to the new boots and old "legendary" shows and lost dogs and each album in order and every DVD they have released....

YES!!!!
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    It's funny that this thread popped up, because I was just recently thinking the very same thing. Don't get me wrong, there are TONS of other bands and artists that I absolutely LOVE, I just don't love them as much as I do PJ. Even some of the bands I've been turned onto are because PJ covered one of their songs! That's the power of this band and I think the benchmark for any of the all-time greatest bands. Their ability to turn you onto someone ELSE's music with THEIR music. All the greats have done it. The Stones, The Who, The Beatles(not a fan, but recognize their place), Bruce Springsteen, Creedence Clearwater Revival, etc. It's absolutely fascinating. How many of the younger generation have discovered Neil Young, The Who, Hunters & Collectors, The Ramones, Split Enz, Crowded House, you name it...due to this band's commitment to their friends and heroes...
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    all of high school...
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    It's funny that this thread popped up, because I was just recently thinking the very same thing. Don't get me wrong, there are TONS of other bands and artists that I absolutely LOVE, I just don't love them as much as I do PJ. Even some of the bands I've been turned onto are because PJ covered one of their songs! That's the power of this band and I think the benchmark for any of the all-time greatest bands. Their ability to turn you onto someone ELSE's music with THEIR music. All the greats have done it. The Stones, The Who, The Beatles(not a fan, but recognize their place), Bruce Springsteen, Creedence Clearwater Revival, etc. It's absolutely fascinating. How many of the younger generation have discovered Neil Young, The Who, Hunters & Collectors, The Ramones, Split Enz, Crowded House, you name it...due to this band's commitment to their friends and heroes...

Not a Beatles fan? I'm not picking on you -- just wondering how old you are & if you've ever really given them a good listen. To me, there would be no PJ, or Stones, or The Who, etc., etc., if it hadn't been for the Beatles. The music is amazingly intricate given that they created it more than 40 years ago. My son is 24, and he keeps getting into a new song or album of theirs every week (right now he's fixated on Sgt. Pepper). It's funny to me because he'll say such & such song is his absolute favorite, and then a week later he's singing the praises of another one.
  • Options
    catwoman wrote:
    Not a Beatles fan? I'm not picking on you -- just wondering how old you are & if you've ever really given them a good listen. To me, there would be no PJ, or Stones, or The Who, etc., etc., if it hadn't been for the Beatles. The music is amazingly intricate given that they created it more than 40 years ago. My son is 24, and he keeps getting into a new song or album of theirs every week (right now he's fixated on Sgt. Pepper). It's funny to me because he'll say such & such song is his absolute favorite, and then a week later he's singing the praises of another one.

I'll be 32 in September. They just don't do anything for me. I grew up in an Elvis Presley/Rolling Stones house. They're just not my family's style. Neither of my parents, nor any of my siblings enjoy their music, & my brother and I are pretty well-versed when it comes to music. We like everything from Classical to Jazz to Punk and Hard-core, we just don't like the Beatles. And the Rolling Stones were formed in 1962, so you can't say there wouldn't be a Stones if it wasn't for The Beatles. That argument just doesn't hold water. They were both influenced by early Blues artists independently of eachother.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    I've been feelin that I abuse other music a lot lately. Especially in the months leading up to this last tour. I was so jacked up to see PJ live again that that's all that I was listening to.

I think now that the tour is over, I might mix it up a little bit. But now we have a EV solo tour, so that prob wont work out too well.
  • Options
    My feeling always seems to be "why bother listening to something else when I can listen to the greatest band ever"

Although, they don't help me much when I have a Jaco Pastorius, or Sex Pistols, or Minor Threat fix...
  • Options
    I'll be 32 in September. They just don't do anything for me. I grew up in an Elvis Presley/Rolling Stones house. They're just not my family's style. Neither of my parents, nor any of my siblings enjoy their music, & my brother and I are pretty well-versed when it comes to music. We like everything from Classical to Jazz to Punk and Hard-core, we just don't like the Beatles. And the Rolling Stones were formed in 1962, so you can't say there wouldn't be a Stones if it wasn't for The Beatles. That argument just doesn't hold water. They were both influenced by early Blues artists independently of eachother.

I probably didn't say it right. Of course there were other groups forming & playing around the time of the Beatles, and all of them were being influenced (including the Beatles) by other artists (especially Elvis). But my opinion is that the Stones would not have risen to the magnitude that they did if it hadn't been for the Beatles taking rock & roll to a new dimension. I read somewhere that Mick Jagger said that as popular as they were in the 60's, their popularity paled in comparison to the Beatles (I'm paraphrasing this, but that's the gist). I saw a concert by Roger McGuinn from the Byrds a few years ago, and he said that when they were recording Dylan's Mr. Tambourine Man, it sounded bland until they Beatle-ized it, given it Beatle chord progressions. Maybe the Stones alone without the Beatles would have ushered in the music revolution themselves -- I don't know (I really like the Stones too). But what I do know is that the Beatles took our society & grabbed it out of the 1950's mentality and into a youth culture (which I was a part of then).

Please don't think I'm criticizing you for not liking the Beatles -- to each his own. I was just curious.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I try to listen to other music, but I always find myself going back to Pearl Jam. I am getting into different types of rock music, I plan on buying a another claypool cd and a benevento russo duo CD to open up my mind to different stuff. But im sure Ill just go right back to PJ soon after.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    pearl jam is my favorite band. however. i hardly ever listen to them. i feel that over indulgences ruin the passion i have for their music. i'd hate to get burned out on them.
  • Options
    catwoman wrote:
    I probably didn't say it right. Of course there were other groups forming & playing around the time of the Beatles, and all of them were being influenced (including the Beatles) by other artists (especially Elvis). But my opinion is that the Stones would not have risen to the magnitude that they did if it hadn't been for the Beatles taking rock & roll to a new dimension. I read somewhere that Mick Jagger said that as popular as they were in the 60's, their popularity paled in comparison to the Beatles (I'm paraphrasing this, but that's the gist). I saw a concert by Roger McGuinn from the Byrds a few years ago, and he said that when they were recording Dylan's Mr. Tambourine Man, it sounded bland until they Beatle-ized it, given it Beatle chord progressions. Maybe the Stones alone without the Beatles would have ushered in the music revolution themselves -- I don't know (I really like the Stones too). But what I do know is that the Beatles took our society & grabbed it out of the 1950's mentality and into a youth culture (which I was a part of then).

Please don't think I'm criticizing you for not liking the Beatles -- to each his own. I was just curious.

Like I said, I understand the Beatle' s place in the history of Rock & Roll, I just don't understand the attraction. Especially, the early stuff. They 'invented' 'pop' music IMO, they didn't 'invent' Rock & roll. They pop-ularized that style of music. You also have to admit that they were a product of their time. They came along at a time when the world was changing. They captured the feelings and frustrations of the people perfectly. People could relate to what they were saying and what they were playing. Young people had just started to have a voice, to have a say in what they watched and what they listened to. They all of a sudden had a bit of 'power'. The young people pretty much created the landscape of the world in the 60's.
  • Options
    Like I said, I understand the Beatle' s place in the history of Rock & Roll, I just don't understand the attraction. Especially, the early stuff. They 'invented' 'pop' music IMO, they didn't 'invent' Rock & roll. They pop-ularized that style of music. You also have to admit that they were a product of their time. They came along at a time when the world was changing. They captured the feelings and frustrations of the people perfectly. People could relate to what they were saying and what they were playing. Young people had just started to have a voice, to have a say in what they watched and what they listened to. They all of a sudden had a bit of 'power'. The young people pretty much created the landscape of the world in the 60's.

What I love most about the Beatles is that they, for all intents and purposes, invented pop music, and made some great records. Then they ripped pop music apart and fucked it up, and made some mind-blowing records.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    What I love most about the Beatles is that they, for all intents and purposes, invented pop music, and made some great records. Then they ripped pop music apart and fucked it up, and made some mind-blowing records.

You just gotta love mind-altering substances...
  • Options
    You just gotta love mind-altering substances...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVUzTZ5dgwQ :D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    i_am_minei_am_mine Posts: 53
    i listen to a lot of different music but there's lots of times(like right now) when i just can't listen to anything else because i just don't get the same feeling from it as when i listen to pearl jam.. pearl jam and springsteen are my favorites and sometimes i'm only listening to them..a little variety is always good though!
  • Options
    Corey LynnCorey Lynn Posts: 681
    I grew up with a picture of John Lennon on my parents living room wall. It was ingrained in me to love them. I think that The Beatles music is the most familiar thing in my life.

If I knew where it was I would take you there. There's much more than this
  • Options
    Springsteen is a GOD.

They say there are two types of people in the world:
    1) those that love bruce; and
    2) those that have never seen him live

Its no coincidence that my two favorite musical acts (Bruce and PJ) are the greatest live shows out there. The setlists are so varied from night to night and they both care SOOOO much about the fans.

And I was at the vote for change show in NJ - when Bruce bought Ed out. They played Darkness On the Edge of Town, and then Bruce asked Ed to do Betterman (w/ bruce singing the second verse). Insane!

I know Ed has also played "growing up" "atlantic city" and "no surrender" at shows.
    Camden - 5/28/06; Camden - 6/20/08; MSG - 6/25/08; Newark - (Ed Solo) 8/7/08; Philly - (Ed Solo) 6/12/09; Philly - 10/30/09; Philly - 10/31/09; Newark - 5/18/10; MSG - 5/20/10; MSG - 5/21/10
  • Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    i used to feel that way. then i gave other music a try.

and it turns out that there is some really fucking good music out there.

I'm the flipside of this, everything else new is pretty poor
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options
    LostdoggieLostdoggie Posts: 257
    smile05 wrote:
    I'm the flipside of this, everything else new is pretty poor

I agree, I have Sirius radio and I try to listen to new stuff but I just don't like it. I always end up listening to Pearl Jam 90% of the time, and bands like Tool, Radiohead, etc the rest of the time.
    Sometimes life don't leave you alone

8/20/98 - Montreal
    8/29/00, 8/30/00 - Mansfield
    7/02/03, 7/03/03, 7/11/03 - Mansfield
    9/28/04, 9/29/04 - Boston
    5/24/06, 5/25/06 - Boston
    6/28/08, 6/30/08 - Mansfield
  • Options

Hear hear! Couldn't agree with you more!

I was in Kildare abut 23 years ago. Beautiful country.
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    catwoman wrote:
    But what I do know is that the Beatles took our society & grabbed it out of the 1950's mentality and into a youth culture (which I was a part of then).

Oh I remember those days so well, being a little kid watching the ed sullivan show, playing Paperback Writer on the record player!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more