Rental Property

Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone have one ?

I may have the opportunity to buy one

Just nervous about the money of course and not getting a renters

It would be a seasonal rental for summers so I wouldn't have rent money all year long

Any advice ?
My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Got_SomeGot_Some Posts: 77
    You're buying this property for the sole purpose of renting it out? If not, then recapturing your annual mortgage payment may not be as big of a deal.

Did you look at what other similar places are renting for in the area and then calculate the total rent you would receive during the seasonal period (with adjustments for potential vacancy)?

Does that amount cover your mortgage payment for the year? Is the property in an area where values are increasing?

Just a few things I would look into.
  • maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    Do an LLC for the property to protect yourself. My 2 cents. I have a rental as well.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,598
    Anyone have one ?

It would be a seasonal rental for summers so I wouldn't have rent money all year long

Any advice ?

down the shore? where at?

i wish you the best of luck man! been my goal to have a place down there by 35. sadly, i'm not certain it will happen as it will take some convincing of the new wife.

i know some people who have places down there and the may-september rent $ should more than cover your yearly piti payments.

i'm interesting in hearing the advice you get in this thread...
    www.myspace.com
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Got_Some wrote:
    You're buying this property for the sole purpose of renting it out? If not, then recapturing your annual mortgage payment may not be as big of a deal.

Did you look at what other similar places are renting for in the area and then calculate the total rent you would receive during the seasonal period (with adjustments for potential vacancy)?

Does that amount cover your mortgage payment for the year? Is the property in an area where values are increasing?

Yeah..it would be strictly for renting

Similar units are getting between $2800-3100 a week..but I think when they bought the market was way up. The unit Im looking at would be drastically lower in price so I could lower my weekly rental fee and still be ahead

Mortgage price is up in the air because there are 11 units available and they are set to go to Auction. I have a price I wont go higher than so I can kind of figure out a monthly payment

The unit is 100yds from the beach so I think the values will definitely climb back up or at least be in demand for renters regardless of the market

Do you have any property you rent ?

maj4e wrote:
    Do an LLC for the property to protect yourself. My 2 cents. I have a rental as well.

How much of a risk did you take when getting your property ?

I'm just nervous with the unknown and not getting renters and losing my shirt

Got_Some wrote:

Similar units are getting between $2800-3100 a week..but I think when they bought the market was way up. The unit Im looking at would be drastically lower in price so I could lower my weekly rental fee and still be ahead

Mortgage price is up in the air because there are 11 units available and they are set to go to Auction. I have a price I wont go higher than so I can kind of figure out a monthly payment

The unit is 100yds from the beach so I think the values will definitely climb back up or at least be in demand for renters regardless of the market

what shore?

and if you don't mind me asking, roughly how much do you expect them to go for?
    www.myspace.com
  • We have 2 here on the obx (NC). Both are 3 bed/ 1 bath. We put in bunkbeds and rent only to college students at $400.00 a bed and we come out just a little ahead on the mortgage payments. It's pretty standard here. Good luck.
    Anyone have one ?

Any advice ?

down the shore? where at?

i wish you the best of luck man! been my goal to have a place down there by 35. sadly, i'm not certain it will happen as it will take some convincing of the new wife.

i know some people who have places down there and the may-september rent $ should more than cover your yearly piti payments.

i'm interesting in hearing the advice you get in this thread...

Yes sir..Wildwood Crest

Just kinda putting my feelers out there...my brother is a Real Estate agent in NJ and the Father-in-Law owns his own office in Philly

Im definitely looking for something to have down there if for nothing else to get it paid for and have some equity to move on to maybe another property

We have 2 here on the obx (NC). Both are 3 bed/ 1 bath. We put in bunkbeds and rent only to college students at $400.00 a bed and we come out just a little ahead on the mortgage payments. It's pretty standard here. Good luck.

Wow..nice

This would be a resort town in NJ

Got_Some wrote:

what shore?

Wildwood Crest NJ

The bidding starts at $125,000 before they were put up for auction the average was over $500,000

11 Units available

what shore?

Wildwood Crest NJ

The bidding starts at $125,000 before they were put up for auction the average was over $500,000

11 Units available

wow :o that is awesome.
    www.myspace.com

Maybe I can cut you in for a good Mortgage rate

;)

• Got_SomeGot_Some Posts: 77
    Got_Some wrote:

No, but I work in commercial real estate...specifically, the multifamily segment. Sounds like your unit may be attractive due to the fact that you are able to charge a lesser amount for weekly rent. Stick with your price ceiling and you should be ok. It's still a good time to buy in a lot of markets and it sounds like this property will increase within the next 5 years.

;)

you can honestly get a better deal from a different company. :lol: i'll be happy to help/give me advise if you want though.

i've always wanted a place in sea isle...but everything is still ungodly expensive there. guess i gotta expand my thinking.
    www.myspace.com
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    my house in long beach ny was bought for 32,000 in 1970...today its around 550,000
    steps from the beach and a jumping party town

i could rent it in the summer for around 10,000 per month...but iam a beach bum and would totally lost w/ out it

although with the big surf competition coming in around labor day/....i am totally thinking about it

i could rent it and stay with my brother who lives 20 minutes away
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Wildwood Crest is nice. What block are the units on, are they near the boardwalk or totally "Wildwood Crest"

My sister had a place there a few years back, it certainly is nice to have a place to crash for a few days get away.

She sold it though :(
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,987
    Nice, PP. A LOT of really nice property is going super cheap down there. Pretty awesome - good for you, sir.
    my house in long beach ny was bought for 32,000 in 1970...today its around 550,000

i could rent it in the summer for around 10,000 per month...but iam a beach bum and would totally lost w/ out it

although with the big surf competition coming in around labor day/....i am totally thinking about it

i thought you've said that was your parent's or brother's house? :?

did you inherit it?

my parents are looking to buy a place down the shore too, but they are leaning towards delaware. they're gonna move down there in a couple years since they'll both be retired.
    www.myspace.com

did you inherit it?

my parents are looking to buy a place down the shore too, but they are leaning towards delaware. they're gonna move down there in a couple years since they'll both be retired.

well yea its a family house..my brother bought his own in the next town
    i was just using the term I ...lol that sounds funny
    i was just bringing up price examples between where pain is talking about and long beach ny
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......

did you inherit it?

i was just bringing up price examples between where pain is talking about and long beach ny

yeah but he's getting his on an auction...normally the price would be in line with what you said.

that's awesome to have a place to go down to anytime you want. my family used to have a place in sea isle but sold it like 20 years ago. i wish i started saving $ at a much younger age than i did. :roll: :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • autumnautumn Posts: 191

did you inherit it?

My father bought a place down the beach in DE while i was in high school. We had it as our summer place and then when he retired a few years back, he moved there permanently. It really is a great place for retirees. He loves it there. The winters are a little dull, but he usually spends them in FL. I'm heading down this weekend to visit him and Dogfish Head! ;)

yeah but he's getting his on an auction...normally the price would be in line with what you said.

that's awesome to have a place to go down to anytime you want. my family used to have a place in sea isle but sold it like 20 years ago. i wish i started saving $ at a much younger age than i did. :roll: :lol:

oh that blows...my parents thought about selling it years back....but we were able to convince them to keep it (thank god)
    and they have also become beach bums in the past 10 years
    and the best part is that its the 1st town in long island..so its only a 40 min drive or train ride as opposed to 3 hours down the shore or to the hamptons
    autumn wrote:

did you inherit it?

My father bought a place down the beach in DE while i was in high school. We had it as our summer place and then when he retired a few years back, he moved there permanently. It really is a great place for retirees. He loves it there. The winters are a little dull, but he usually spends them in FL. I'm heading down this weekend to visit him and Dogfish Head! ;)

quality brew!

yeah, they've been talking about moving down there forever. my dad is always coming up with weird ways to spend his retirement/make money. his latest idea is to get a hot dog cart license and sell them on the beach down there. :roll: :lol::lol::lol: .....the family is not too keen on that idea.
    www.myspace.com
  • autumnautumn Posts: 191
    Awesome! He could hang out with my dad. He has a fishing boat and had the grand idea that he was going to charter other people on fishing trips and be the captain. Yeah, he just takes himself and friends/family out. It was amusing for a while though!
    Tell your Dad that those snow cone stands are really popular in the summer and so are the beach fries. People will stand in line all day for them! :?
    Got_Some wrote:
    Got_Some wrote:

No, but I work in commercial real estate...specifically, the multifamily segment. Sounds like your unit may be attractive due to the fact that you are able to charge a lesser amount for weekly rent. Stick with your price ceiling and you should be ok. It's still a good time to buy in a lot of markets and it sounds like this property will increase within the next 5 years.

Thats what we're thinking the location can't be beat its so close to the beach

I'm little nervous about the auction part of it not knowing a set price...we have to have money in hand and theres no guarantee we'll get a unit for the right price

;)

you can honestly get a better deal from a different company. :lol: i'll be happy to help/give me advise if you want though.

i've always wanted a place in sea isle...but everything is still ungodly expensive there. guess i gotta expand my thinking.

Same here I grew up going to Ocean City NJ don't know much about Wildwood

We would probably have a few partners in on it to help with the cost especially in the even we dont have renters

Thats what Im talking about something to have for life

$10K a month ?!?? Rent that shit !

Nice, PP. A LOT of really nice property is going super cheap down there. Pretty awesome - good for you, sir.

Thanks dude...Yep...I was putzing around on the local real estate websites they have plenty of property down there

If this doesn't work out with the auction I'm gonna definitely keep looking

Wildwood Crest is nice. What block are the units on, are they near the boardwalk or totally "Wildwood Crest"

My sister had a place there a few years back, it certainly is nice to have a place to crash for a few days get away.

She sold it though :(

East Monterey Ave ?

Seems close to everything

Did she rent it out or just use it for herself ?

• Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I rented my house for a year, on a lease...so one couple the whole time....they were great tenants...and it was still a lot of work as far as dealing with all the little issues that come up. If your tenants aren't willing to chip in for minor maintenance, or deal with neighbours etc without involving you, it becomes very time consuming....I can't imagine what it would be like dealin with different people every week. I guess once you had things running smoothly it wouldn't be so bad....