17 Years Ago...

2»

Comments

• LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    I remember being in the dentist's chair and watching it on TV. Not sure if I 1st heard it there or not but I vividly recall watching a story on it while getting my teeth cleaned!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    I was 13, I was riding my bike and a kid that lived down the street said Kurt cobains dead and I said I don't give a fuck. I was 13, didn't know much of anything about nirvana. It wasn't until my 20's that I fell in love with nirvana. I cry when I watch unplugged, the last long. Knowing that was his last time on tv. Here's to a true artist.
    I'll be back
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    I was 12. I remember seeing it on the news. I wasn't really a fan then - not till I was around 16. Since, I have read Heavier than Heaven - the poor guy was so lost in his depression and drug addiction. Everybody will always wonder 'What if?'
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • I was 19. A girlfriend called me to tell me (and she was laughing about it!). I turned on Muchmusic and that's all they were talking about. I didn't quite comprehend at the time what it would mean to me. I sort of just thought "wow, that's shitty", but it has affected my life profoundly since then.

I often also wonder what Nirvana would have been like, but I agree with whoever said they wouldn't sound like anything, Kurt would have left Nirvana, which is apparently what he was planning on doing, according to the note he left.

Too little music left behind. I bought that box set, and all I could think was "wow, if I died and someone went out and sold all my jamming tapes that sounded like crap, and made my home movies into a dvd for sale, I'd be fucking PISSED".

*quickly hides all jamming tapes and home movies*
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • MoonTurtleMoonTurtle Posts: 752
    sitting on my bedroom floor, finishing homework, mtv on, and poof kurt loder on the screen
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    This is interesting!

Web Searches Surge for Frances Bean

Posted Tue Apr 5, 2011 5:19pm PDT by Michael Krumboltz in Stop The Presses!

On April 5, 1994, Kurt Cobain took his own life at his home in Seattle, Washington. Tuesday marked the anniversary of the Nirvana rocker's death. His daughter, Frances Bean Cobain, was not yet two years old when her father died. Now 18, Frances is focusing on her future, and online interest is heating up..

Over the past 24 hours, web searches on "frances cobain" and "frances bean cobain" have doubled. Lookups for "frances bean photos" are also jumping. Considering how famous her father was (and how controversial her mother, singer Courtney Love, continues to be), it's interesting to note that Frances has kept a relatively low profile..

Interviews with Frances Bean are rare, but online queries are not. Of particular interest to Web searchers: her middle name. According to TMZ, she earned the unusual middle name after Kurt saw an image of her on the ultrasound. Kurt allegedly remarked that the as-of-yet unborn Frances looked a bit like a kidney bean. The name stuck..

Frances, like many celebrity children, has famous godparents. Michael Stipe of REM is her godfather and Drew Barrymore is her godmother. She's interned at Rolling Stone magazine in recent years, but it does not appear that she is focused on journalism at the moment. In 2010, she gave an art show in Los Angeles under a different name, the mysterious moniker of "Fiddle Tim." .

Why the alter ego? It could be a desire to earn success without family connections. She clearly has problems with those who, in her opinion, rely on famous family members. In 2009, she let those thoughts be known on social networking site Twitter. Frances ranted about Lindsay Lohan's younger sister Ali. To Ali, she wrote: "You blatently (sic) don't care how your recognized, its the objective to get famous and that is what makes you replaceable and a recycled idea.".

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    I was 9 yrs old, in the living room with my sister and her school friends who were working on a school project.
    The evening news announcer broke the news and my sis and her friends were shocked, I didn't really know who he was at the time so I was oblivious to it all and could not appreciate such a significant event in rock history.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,138
    I was 9 yrs old ..... I didn't really know who he was at the time so I was oblivious to it all and could not appreciate such a significant event in rock history.
    Pretty much the same for me, except I was 10 years old. At the time I understood it was important because he was rich and famous, but since I hadn't become interested in rock music yet, I didn't fully grasp just how significant it was.