17 Years Ago...

Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Posts: 2,762
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I still get chills thinking about hearing Alan Cross on the radio 3 days later (April 8th) announcing the death of Kurt. I still remember where I was. Do you?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Yes, I was driving on the North/South Freeway in New Jersey. Was never a big Nirvana fan but it was still very sad to me.
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    I don't remember where I was, but I remember being very shocked and disappointed and sad. It was just unbelievable for quite some time. Then I remember seeing it and hearing about it like everywhere. Not really related, but, kinda...ever seen the movie "Highway"? That kinda brings it back for me.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    ehhh not a big fan...he sold out...i shed no tears
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    ehhh not a big fan...he sold out...i shed no tears

Why write that? It doesn't even answer the original posters question.... :roll:

I remember where I was.... it was a weird day thats for sure. I was at school then watched it on the news when I got home. I seem to remember my mum telling me to watch as she knew I had a Nirvana album.
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    edited April 2011
    I think Nirvana is this generation's Doors...everyone seems to listen to them first during their early teen years and then go from there...

I was 10 when he died and didn't know who he was was...wasn't affected by it at all....

But I found this quote on the net years later and thought it was pretty cool:

“The day Kurt Cobain died, we just held each other and cried, but you made me feel a whole lot better when you sad...thank God it wasn’t Eddie Vedder.”- unknown
    Post edited by davidtrios on
  • rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    I remember playing around on the computer with MTV on in the background when they broke in with the news announcement.
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    My dad called me at work and told me, i remember saying "You gotta be fuckin kiddin me"
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i was in college...don't remember the day

i do remember telling this kid on my floor to go pull a cobain. he was a knicks fan back during the bulls run and no matter what, he would just run his mouth about how great the knicks were.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I have no idea where I was and what I was doing which is odd because I remember most of these dates. As he had just left a child fatherless I thought he was a selfish dick. I liked Nirvana a lot but just felt there were far worse tragedies in life.
  • stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    I was 15 years old and I was playing baseball on my street with a few kids from the neighborhood, when another kid was walking up the street and told me. We all ran in this kids house to turn on the news and sure enough...it was true...RIP Kurt
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    17, in a friend's basement.

Him, "hey, Kurt Cobain is dead."

Me thinking for a second (who the fuck is he?) then saying, "isn't he the guy that almost od'd in Greece a couple weeks ago?"

I had Nevermind but I wasn't a big fan, was more of a Pearl Jam fan at the time. Still am..
  • lillwild1lillwild1 Posts: 32
    I know I feel differently about it after having my daughter commit suicide. Now I just feel so sad he was hurting so bad.
    Speak then to me, who neither beg nor fear your favours nor your hate.
    lillwild1 wrote:
    I know I feel differently about it after having my daughter commit suicide. Now I just feel so sad he was hurting so bad.
    Aw, that's so terrible. I'm so sorry for your loss. I feel the same way about it. It's so sad to know that he was to that point.
  • Wow... 17 Years ago. Where did that time go? I was a High School kid. I remember me and my friends were all pretty depressed by the news (in high school I remember overreacting to most things). I remember being at home and watching the 24 hour MTV news coverage (although I think they showed the same things over and over again). Couldn't imagine what he was going through personally.

We still were fortunate for what Kurt gave to us.
    EmBleve wrote:
    Aw, that's so terrible. I'm so sorry for your loss. I feel the same way about it. It's so sad to know that he was to that point.

Thank you for your kindness. The whole world loses when people decide to walk away from life. They're too young to even know it's going to get better.
    lillwild1 wrote:
    EmBleve wrote:

Thank you for your kindness. The whole world loses when people decide to walk away from life. They're too young to even know it's going to get better.
    I know...it's so heartbreaking. To have to feel that kind of hopelessness and to welcome such finality. It's tragic. Peace to you.
  • I have now reached the age where that happened right in the middle of my life. I was 17 then and to think that as much time has passed since then that had passed up until that point of my life is frightening.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Damn...17 years ago I was in college. Listening to the radio. It was about 1:30pm. They said, 'Police have been called to Kurt Cobain's house to investigate a possible crime scene....'
    There were many more graphic descriptions of what the electritian said...I won't say them here to respect his friends and family, it's just too haunting to think about...it was raining that day, not once did I think, 'Could it be Kurt?'

PJ, Alice, Nirvana and Soundgarden were all in heavy rotation on my cassette player at that time...Rest in Peace Kurt.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    lillwild1 wrote:
    EmBleve wrote:

I'm very sorry you lost your daughter. My family was also touched by suicide long ago and the impact of it was heartbreaking.

I responded to Kurt's death much as you did. Sad for his pain and for his loved ones left behind. I knew he'd attempted and I also thought many of his lyrics seem to speak of deep depression. I can't be angry at someone who takes their own life. They are unable to think clearly, to know that life will get better, to know that others love and need them and won't be better off without them as they seem to think.

So many people on this board who are younger than me. I nearly 40 when he died. My husband's band was practicing and when they took a break I went out back and told them. Wasn't a big fan of Nirvana, always though PJ was a better band, but I still found it very sad.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    I was waking up the next morning after a party at Umass, and MTv was on announcing he had been found dead.
  • I was a senior in high school and was at my BFF's house when I found out. I was still living with the secret shame of my grandfather committing suicide a few years prior, and all I said was "That stupid fucker."

I carried the secret of how my grandfather died for years because of the shame surrounding suicide. I only wish that we could have had more resources to save him.

I will be walking this year to honor Grandpa Lou, and my friends Tony and Frank. Please consider making a donation:

http://www.afsp.org/
    I was a senior in high school and was at my BFF's house when I found out. I was still living with the secret shame of my grandfather committing suicide a few years prior, and all I said was "That stupid fucker."

I carried the secret of how my grandfather died for years because of the shame surrounding suicide. I only wish that we could have had more resources to save him.

I will be walking this year to honor Grandpa Lou, and my friends Tony and Frank. Please consider making a donation:

http://www.afsp.org/

I was just getting ready to leave for class when I read this post. You are my hero today.
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    I remember watching MTV when they announced the news on Kurt's death... I cried for days... :cry:

I hope you're getting the peace you've always wanted Kurt... R.I.P. :(

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,598
    high school. friend was a huuuuuge nirvana fan. dude was depressed for months...to the point where a lot of us thought it was an act.

but my initial thought, for some reason, was "oh no, i hope eddie doesn't do the same thing." i was kinda stupid as a kid. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    i will say this though, i would LOVE to know what their sound would be like if he didn't take his life. that unplugged album is phenomenal and provides glimpses of where they may have headed.

then again, if he lived, i wouldn't have been surprised to see them break up around that time anyway.
    www.myspace.com
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    i will say this though, i would LOVE to know what their sound would be like if he didn't take his life. that unplugged album is phenomenal and provides glimpses of where they may have headed.

then again, if he lived, i wouldn't have been surprised to see them break up around that time anyway.

Totally Agree, what would Nirvana 20 be like? or would they still have broken up and Kurt quit music only to return for a rare on stage song with Foo.

Totally Agree, what would Nirvana 20 be like? or would they still have broken up and Kurt quit music only to return for a rare on stage song with Foo.

i could picture nirvana getting all eclectic and shit as they got older.
    www.myspace.com
  • rafierafie Posts: 2,160

i could picture nirvana getting all eclectic and shit as they got older.
    I was listening to "In Utero" a couple of days ago and I was pretty :| (I know you love that emoticon Juggler :mrgreen: ). Does not really stand the test of time for me. Nirvana = Overrated. That being said, I too would have loved to see where they would have ended up musically if Kurt was still around.
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Was bar hopping in Mainz, Germany at the age of 21 with friends and local German girls when one of them mentioned it kind of off the cuff. I remember everyone kind of laughing it off and I asked her to repeat. She did and I could tell that she was serious. I just remember feeling shocked. It was hard for me to enjoy myself that night after that bit of news.