Anyone ever been mugged or robbed?

ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
edited April 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Two thieves working together stole my camera yesterday as I was getting on the metro in St. petersburg. One blocked my way and the other took my Nikon D90 from my camera bag whilst I was trying to muscle past the scumbag in front of me.
The one who took my camera ran off the train, but his friend stayed on the train, so I ended up fighting with him and taking him down. Anyway, the police took fucking ages - 20 minutes to arrive - and in the meantime one of his friends arrived and in the confusion - by then there were a few people involved - they managed to get away.

Saw them - and me - on the cctv last night at the cop shop though, so I hope they get nabbed.

I'm so angry today.

Anyone else ever experienced this kind of thing?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Sorry to hear..on the bright side u didn't get hurt

Luckily I haven't been in my life
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I can't stop thinking about it. I shouldn't have let them get away. I know I could have taken them both on, but nobody else gave a shit - the station staff, onlookers....the police taking all day to get there. Fucking cunts. People telling me that the thieves and police were all in cahoots - a bit of confusion...
    If it had been in London the old bill would have been on the scene in 1 minute flat.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    I was in the projects one night when 2 thugs walked up to the pizza guy ..put a gun to his head and took his money..sad
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I was in the projects one night when 2 thugs walked up to the pizza guy ..put a gun to his head and took his money..sad

That sucks.

This was in broad daylight - 4pm in the center of the city on a Saturday. These wankers have free reign to do their thing. It's bad.

Although the copper who eventually got involved later in the day and took up the case was brilliant. I could tell as soon as I saw him that he was on the money, even though he was quite young. And he gathered together all the cctv footage within a few hours.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    few car stereo stolen is about it
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Way back when I was 18 I had my leather jacket stolen from me at knife point in LA. I was so niave I tried going to the cop shop to report it. I swear they laughed at me.
    #FHP
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    not mugged but someone broke out the window in my car and stole everything in there and left blood on the seat. It sucked.
    p.s. Horos your avatar is mad crazy. I was like 'am I really seeing what I think I'm seeing?'. lol.
    About 8 years ago someone broke out a window in my car to steal the cassette deck. Always thought that was funny, what can you get for a cassette deck nowadays?

Thought I'd see if I could sneak that avatar in.
    #FHP
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    Horos wrote:
    About 8 years ago someone broke out a window in my car to steal the cassette deck. Always thought that was funny, what can you get for a cassette deck nowadays?.
    :lol: I know, right! They took my radar detector (yes a radar detector--was in 2000), a few dollars out of my console, and a box of laundry detergent I had left in there. They left my radio alone amazingly, but it was factory.
    Horos wrote:
    Thought I'd see if I could sneak that avatar in.

:lol: so far, so good. It's freaky.
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    I had someone break into my car once...my stuff was thrown all over the place, but I don't think they took anything (there was really nothing in there for them to take anyway...).
    I also got a bunch of my clothes stolen from a dryer at the laundromat once. They took some of my favorite T-shirts. :( That's what I get for going across the street to buy a snack.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    I've been robbed twice, both several years ago. The first was by far the worst. It was in a parking lot about 3:00 in the afternoon, maybe a mile from my house. A guy came up behind me and knocked me down and stole my purse, then ran and jumped into a waiting car. I had terrible scrapes all over my legs, elbows and hand from falling on the pavement. Someone got the car's license plates but they were never caught.

I was kind of shocked at some of my reactions to it afterward. I kept imagining finding the thief and smacking him in the face. I even fantasized about carrying a gun that I could pull on anyone who messed with me. This was very strange to me since I hate guns. The revenge fantasies hung around for several weeks.

While visiting Germany in 1999, we had a shopping bag stolen while in the train station in Frankfurt. I was trying to use a public phone, which were hard to find and inconvenient to use. Someone watching me in the station picked up the bag while I was distracted and got away. They didn't get anything of value but I still was furious. We reported it but of course nothing came of it. In the annals of crime, this was pretty inconsequential.

Sorry about your experience, Byrnzie. Being robbed like that is maddening.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    HOLY SHIT HOROS :lol:

its never happened to me but i did stop a couple pickpockets when i was in barcelona... that technique you encountered seems to be pretty standard practice

hope that catch em and you get your camera back... damn gypsies
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    You should have taken his life and then asked him if it was worth it.
    I'll be back
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,670
    ah, that sucks. Cant imagine.

Luckily I have never been mugged or robbed before. I can imagine how shitty it feels.
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    That's awful, sorry to hear about this.

Had both my son's and my purse/wallet stolen in Disneyland Paris. Stupidly had them in a backpack and a group of girls crowded behind me. I was getting jostled a bit so when they went past I checked my bag and they were gone. Unfortunately, they were out of sight and gone by this time.

Hope you get it back.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Two thieves working together stole my camera yesterday as I was getting on the metro in St. petersburg. One blocked my way and the other took my Nikon D90 from my camera bag whilst I was trying to muscle past the scumbag in front of me.
    The one who took my camera ran off the train, but his friend stayed on the train, so I ended up fighting with him and taking him down. Anyway, the police took fucking ages - 20 minutes to arrive - and in the meantime one of his friends arrived and in the confusion - by then there were a few people involved - they managed to get away.

Saw them - and me - on the cctv last night at the cop shop though, so I hope they get nabbed.

I'm so angry today.

Anyone else ever experienced this kind of thing?

Damn man, sorry to hear that. You're traveling too, arent you? fuck. I hope they catch them.

Me and two of my friends were robbed in Gaineville FL by three guys with one gun, no shots fired thankfully (1996). They took about 25 dollars combined from the three of us, plus our 12 pack of beer! fuckers. But within minutes there were cops everywhere and a helicopter. They caught all three assholes and they all served a few years in jail.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Sorry about all your losses. It's never happened to me but a friend was robbed twice in 2 days in Barcelona. Forget the pretty pics that place is a hell hole.
  • caifan82caifan82 Posts: 321
    I've never been mugged, but a year ago someone broke the window of my car and stole my crappy stereo (it was just a cassette player). Surprisingly, they didn't take my sun glasses (they are worth probably 3 times more than the stereo) or the change I had in the ashtray (the equivalent of about 30 dollars)... pretty weird....
    They did leave shattered glass eveywhere inside the car, though. Fuckers, they made me cut my thumb trying to clean it up... :(
    Mexico City - July 17th 2003
    Mexico City - July 18th 2003
    Mexico City - July 19th 2003
    Monterrey - December 7th 2005
    Mexico City - December 9th 2005
    Mexico City - December 10th 2005
    Mexico City - November 24th 2011
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    Damn, that sucks! :( I think the feeling of being violated is sometimes the worst part.

I've never been robbed in person. My house was robbed when I was living alone in the student ghetto in college though. They broke in by removing the glass from a window on the side of my house in the middle of the day, when I was at work. (I know it was more than one person because they drank half of two cokes from my fridge.) They trashed the place, looking for something valuable, I guess. Thankfully I didn't really own anything valuable. I think they were on foot, because they took the small things (laptop, phone, VCR, etc.) but not the big things (desktop, TV, etc.).

More than being pissed about my things, I was concerned for my safety. It was obvious that a woman lived there alone, and I found out after I moved in that the previous woman who lived there had some guy breaking in all the time & stalking her. Sure enough, they/he/someone came back about a week later, in the middle of the night, when I was obviously home. I watched his shadow as he tried to get in the front window, and then he went back to the same window that he'd gotten into before. I don't think I've ever been more scared in my life. Thankfully, I had fixed up the windows so he couldn't get in. The police were there in 7 minutes, but he was gone by then.

There's one thing I always remember the 911 operator saying: When the man's shadow disappeared from the front window, I told the 911 operator that I thought maybe he was going around to the side window he got in through before, but I couldn't see that window without going into the back bedroom. She asked if I had animals in the house and, if so, what they were doing. They were staring intently in the direction of that back bedroom. I guess they heard him back there before I did.

Other than that, my old car was broken into several times, for the sound system, CDs, change, etc. Thankfully it was easy to break into, so they never had to break the window. :lol:
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    _ wrote:
    Damn, that sucks! :( I think the feeling of being violated is sometimes the worst part.

I've never been robbed in person. My house was robbed when I was living alone in the student ghetto in college though. They broke in by removing the glass from a window on the side of my house in the middle of the day, when I was at work. (I know it was more than one person because they drank half of two cokes from my fridge.) They trashed the place, looking for something valuable, I guess. Thankfully I didn't really own anything valuable. I think they were on foot, because they took the small things (laptop, phone, VCR, etc.) but not the big things (desktop, TV, etc.).

More than being pissed about my things, I was concerned for my safety. It was obvious that a woman lived there alone, and I found out after I moved in that the previous woman who lived there had some guy breaking in all the time & stalking her. Sure enough, they/he/someone came back about a week later, in the middle of the night, when I was obviously home. I watched his shadow as he tried to get in the front window, and then he went back to the same window that he'd gotten into before. I don't think I've ever been more scared in my life. Thankfully, I had fixed up the windows so he couldn't get in. The police were there in 7 minutes, but he was gone by then.

There's one thing I always remember the 911 operator saying: When the man's shadow disappeared from the front window, I told the 911 operator that I thought maybe he was going around to the side window he got in through before, but I couldn't see that window without going into the back bedroom. She asked if I had animals in the house and, if so, what they were doing. They were staring intently in the direction of that back bedroom. I guess they heard him back there before I did.

Other than that, my old car was broken into several times, for the sound system, CDs, change, etc. Thankfully it was easy to break into, so they never had to break the window. :lol:

Your story gave me goosebumps. I feel sorry for all the receivers of the terrible deeds I've read about in this thread. I hope some good karma is heading your way, and I'm glad everyone was OK.
  • caifan82caifan82 Posts: 321
    _ wrote:
    Thankfully it was easy to break into, so they never had to break the window. :lol:

That's good, in my case the worst part was cleaning the glass inside and paying for a new window, which was more expensive than the crappy stereo they took.
    Mexico City - July 17th 2003
    Mexico City - July 18th 2003
    Mexico City - July 19th 2003
    Monterrey - December 7th 2005
    Mexico City - December 9th 2005
    Mexico City - December 10th 2005
    Mexico City - November 24th 2011
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Sorry, man :(
    fuckers. Hope you get it back, or at least get a few minutes in a dark alley with them.
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    Your story gave me goosebumps. I feel sorry for all the receivers of the terrible deeds I've read about in this thread. I hope some good karma is heading your way, and I'm glad everyone was OK.

Thanks. I feel extremely lucky that I've never been robbed in person, assaulted, abused, etc.
    caifan82 wrote:
    That's good, in my case the worst part was cleaning the glass inside and paying for a new window, which was more expensive than the crappy stereo they took.

I know what you mean! My neighbor's car window was broken recently & she cut her hand all up trying to clean the glass. And I once had a roommate whose back, curved window was broken and the cost to replace it was more than the car was worth, so his car was essentially totaled! What's wrong with people anyway? :evil:
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    my buddy had his daypack with passport, camera in it stolen while we were chilling at a cafe in lilongwe ... i started the chase and when i turned around - there were like about 25 locals chasing along ... i almost caught up to him before he ran into a cornfield ... i couldn't take that chance ... anyhoo - one of the locals found the bag as it looked like the guy panicked ... he reached in and grabbed what he thought was a wallet in the daypack but it was only a mini-first aid kid ...

anyhoo - if you are traveling for long periods of time ... it's really hard to stay vigilante especially if you come from a relatively safe place ...
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    almost the same thing happened when my macbook was taken when i was at work.
    one person distracted.

the cops took forever to come, about 40 minutes.
    it really sucks, you feel so stupid and so taken advantage of its hard to explain. i feel for you!

i had made a thread about it.
    you defended the thieves, btw.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    caifan82 wrote:
    _ wrote:
    Thankfully it was easy to break into, so they never had to break the window. :lol:

Your story reminds me that someone once broke into my car. I remember that shattered glass all over the place. What a mess. I thought we'd never get rid of it all.

I had parked my car in a lot about a block from where I worked and then I stayed late that night. Normally I would have moved my car closer before it got dark but my husband had come by to take me to supper after I got off work. So as we drove up to my car (now the only one in the parking lot), I said "OMG there's somebody in the car!"

We called the police and then drove up beside my car. I rolled down the window and yelled "Hey! That's MY car! You get the hell out of my car!" The guy looked completely confused and tried to find the door handle. I guess he couldn't find it because he finally just climbed back out of the window and ran away. Of course he was long gone by the time the cops got there. At least he didn't have a chance to steal anything.

Looking back, that was kind of a stupid thing to do! What if he'd had a gun? Of course, if he had he'd probably be robbing people, not breaking into cars.

The next day my co-workers thoroughly enjoyed the story, especially the part about me yelling at the guy. :lol:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    Another time I fell asleep on the living room floor. Only to be awakened by someone going out my front door with my home stereo. I was in a stunned sleep and they ran for it. By the time I chased them out the door they were in their truck and going. They took all the components to my stereo and my vcr. The front door had been jimmied but what balls to come in with me asleep on the floor.
    #FHP
  • Never really been mugged or robbed, but I HAVE experienced an attempted car-jacking. I was living out of my car with two of my cousins, and the older male cousin INSISTED that if we were gonna be living in the car, we needed a gun. So once we rolled back into L.A. we stopped at his friend's house, bought a gun, a half ounce of weed and a dog.. ( don't ask that was a crazy night). Anyhow as we're leaving to find a place to park and sleep for the night we pull up to this intersection (thirteenth and Vine) and this guy runs up to the driver's window ( my cousin Ron was driving), with this snub nosed .22... Ron laughed pulled out the Nine Mil he'd just bought, and told the guy "mine's gonna leave a bigger hole!" the guy ran off and I tried not to shit my pants. My cousin Sarah? she slept through the whole thing. The dog was just chill.. like this happened to him everyday. was ONE crazy night.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    When I was in college I got jumped by 4 black guys while i was walking from a parking garage to my dorm room. Most angry and scared I have ever been. I would love to find out who those fuckers were so I could track them down one at a time.

Hate to admit it but I have anger issues towards certain demographics because of this
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I've had my car broken into several times in the city here. Took everything out of my trunk, my bowling ball and shoes, my Phillies umbrella :x

but they didn't take my PJ tapes (this was a while ago :D )

my old boss said, can you blame them

yeah, he was a jackass