PROPERTY VALUES

The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,598
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
still falling unfortunately. at my job we have access to avm reports that give us ideas on where appraisals will come in at (they are more accurate than the online sites people know about). it's one of the first things we do in the application process for obvious reasons.

spoke to a lady in michigan the other day. her house was worth around 100k or so about 6 years ago....pulled up her avm............$12,000. :shock: this person doesn't follow this stuff too closely so she had no idea she had lost so much equity. not a fun thing to have to tell someone their house looks to be worth less than a new car. she owes about 80k on it too.

hopefully this shit ends soon. so many people still struggling in this country.
www.myspace.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    isn't the avm different than what the house would actually sell for? that's not to say that property values haven't decreased in value tremendousley.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,598
    CH156378 wrote:
    isn't the avm different than what the house would actually sell for? that's not to say that property values haven't decreased in value tremendousley?

yeah. has nothing to do with what she can sell it for. this is just an indicator of what it would appraise for based on what other properties have sold for in her area recently.

that said, she probably couldn't get much more than 12-15k for it.
    www.myspace.com
  • markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,075
    Parts of the USA are not first world anymore. It is undeniable. Thanks NAFTA!
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
    Parts of the USA are not first world anymore. It is undeniable. Thanks NAFTA!

where are the fund raisers for these people? we give so much money to the red cross for all these natural disasters, for good reasons obviously, but we have people in our own country struggling just to eat every day too.

i've read there are so many abandoned neighborhoods in the detroit area, that they're planning on leveling acres and acres of them and turning them into fields and stuff.
    www.myspace.com
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,799
    U guys still selling those pick a payment loans?? The ones with negative am on the backend? I use to work in the industry after 9 -11 when rates dropped and there was actual business to be had. I felt years ago unless you were in with a realtor, or multiple ones..... As well as builders, than just about every loan was a reach. Oh yea, watching 3 of my colleagues being hauled off to jail made me reconsider what I wanted to do.

Appraisers comping houses and getting ridiculous values, termite inspectors passing illegal shit for FHA loans, CPA's writing letters saying a client(janitor or paperboy) making 85k inorder to get ratios to work on stated loans and so on....... What a corrupt industry.

Not to say u do this, I honestly didn't. Watching cokehead colleagues of mine take advantage if old woman and uneducated people was sickening. Also had a huge part in the debacle we are in now
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    U guys still selling those pick a payment loans?? The ones with negative am on the backend? I use to work in the industry after 9 -11 when rates dropped and there was actual business to be had. I felt years ago unless you were in with a realtor, or multiple ones..... As well as builders, than just about every loan was a reach. Oh yea, watching 3 of my colleagues being hauled off to jail made me reconsider what I wanted to do.

Appraisers comping houses and getting ridiculous values, termite inspectors passing illegal shit for FHA loans, CPA's writing letters saying a client(janitor or paperboy) making 85k inorder to get ratios to work on stated loans and so on....... What a corrupt industry.

Not to say u do this, I honestly didn't. Watching cokehead colleagues of mine take advantage if old woman and uneducated people was sickening. Also had a huge part in the debacle we are in now

no. i've never sold neg ams actually. the people who took those programs are in just as bad a shape as the lady i referenced in the op.

the industry has weeded out so many of the kinds of people you talked about though through the nmls licensing system. it's such a pain in the ass, but it has really cleaned things up.

at my company, 95% of the refi's we write are the harp programs that came out of the stimulus package a couple years ago. but you can argue whether those programs are helpful or are just extending the bubble for a few more years.
    www.myspace.com
    The 100k value of that lady's house was probably inflated in the 1st place in the early 2000's. Here in NY property values were obviously manipulated in order to bang out loans and helocs. It was like everyone was drunk on the idea their properties would keep going North, when they didn't realize and stop for a minute to see this artificial market being created.

I worked at a decent size bank, and to see the corporation look the other way shocked me. It was pure greed, bunch of dudes wanting to drve fancy shit at any cost.

I hope the industry has changed like you say. The things I've seen,,,,,,
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    The 100k value of that lady's house was probably inflated in the 1st place in the early 2000's. Here in NY property values were obviously manipulated in order to bang out loans and helocs. It was like everyone was drunk on the idea their properties would keep going North, when they didn't realize and stop for a minute to see this artificial market being created.

I worked at a decent size bank, and to see the corporation look the other way shocked me. It was pure greed, bunch of dudes wanting to drve fancy shit at any cost.

I hope the industry has changed like you say. The things I've seen,,,,,,

it was certainly the wild, wild, west back then man. i've been doing this since '02. i'm sure we saw all of the same kinds of stuff going on back then.

my only point here, is how sad it is for this lady and many people like her to own a house that's worth about 12k.
    www.myspace.com
    ^ it's very sad for most. Even though the industry has to take most of the blame, there's also the flipside of the coin. Lotta people wanting that big ticket house that they couldn't afford.

Looking back, it puzzles me that so many couldn't see the bubble bursting..... Or the plausible deniability tracks being laid down to save asses.

On a side note..... Greenspan is a giant douche. I remember when everyone thought of him as a genius. Yeah right. More of a ring leader
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    ^ it's very sad for most. Even though the industry has to take most of the blame, there's also the flipside of the coin. Lotta people wanting that big ticket house that they couldn't afford.

Looking back, it puzzles me that so many couldn't see the bubble bursting..... Or the plausible deniability tracks being laid down to save asses.

On a side note..... Greenspan is a giant douche. I remember when everyone thought of him as a genius. Yeah right. More of a ring leader

We just watched INSIDE JOB...extremely eye-opening to say the least.

The Juggler: I give props to you for being honest and telling the truth to your client. We need more people like you in the higher up positions of that industry. :thumbup:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
    CROJAM95 wrote:

We just watched INSIDE JOB...extremely eye-opening to say the least.

The Juggler: I give props to you for being honest and telling the truth to your client. We need more people like you in the higher up positions of that industry. :thumbup:

haha...thanks. nothing else to tell her though.
    www.myspace.com

haha...thanks. nothing else to tell her though.

Even though it was all you had to tell her, it was the most crucial piece of information she needed right now to know where she stands. That's just good work right there, Juggler. :clap:
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    still falling unfortunately. at my job we have access to avm reports that give us ideas on where appraisals will come in at (they are more accurate than the online sites people know about). it's one of the first things we do in the application process for obvious reasons.

spoke to a lady in michigan the other day. her house was worth around 100k or so about 6 years ago....pulled up her avm............$12,000. :shock: this person doesn't follow this stuff too closely so she had no idea she had lost so much equity. not a fun thing to have to tell someone their house looks to be worth less than a new car. she owes about 80k on it too.

Is she in Detroit? I work with a fellow and his wife's uncle passed away and they were handling the estate and he had bought a condo in Detroit like 2 years earlier for 200 000 grand and it was appraised at about 35 000 and it sold for about that. From what I've been reading Detroit is in rough shape.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    lukin2006 wrote:

Is she in Detroit? I work with a fellow and his wife's uncle passed away and they were handling the estate and he had bought a condo in Detroit like 2 years earlier for 200 000 grand and it was appraised at about 35 000 and it sold for about that. From what I've been reading Detroit is in rough shape.

yes she's in detroit.

it's unbelievably sad.
    www.myspace.com
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    lukin2006 wrote:

yes she's in detroit.

it's unbelievably sad.

I thought so, I live across the river in Canada, it is very sad. I guess the unemployment rate in Detroit is out of this world. I believe the latest census showed a population decline of around 20% from the the last census. It is really to bad, I hope they can turn the corner, but it seems like once the urban decay takes root it's hard to reverse.

I will say this, I've been to Detroit 1000's of time for entertainment needs and have encountered nothing but good people and have never encountered a problem, and met nothing but great people.

That must be a tough part of your job if you have to tell her that. I know the guy I know just couldn't believe it, so they had it reappraised, same answer.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    This is unbelievable. $12000 - $35000 for a house. Our house prices have slumped slightly but around here you'd still have to pay £175,000 for a one bedroom flat. And they sell.

I feel really sorry for people when they lose such a large investment. A lot of them probably think in the future they'll sell up and enjoy retirement on the proceeds. What a messed up world we live in.
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    Sounds like an absolutely wonderful time for someone who is a little bit financially challenged to purchase a home.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    How does the avm compare with values in mid 2009? I know comparing to all time highs will show gigantic losses, but how does it compare more recent values?
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    CJMST3K wrote:
    How does the avm compare with values in mid 2009? I know comparing to all time highs will show gigantic losses, but how does it compare more recent values?

i think detroit lost somewhere around 5% last year. nationally values were down about 4% compared to '09....this is after places like detroit lost way over 50% equity in the few years prior.
    www.myspace.com
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Juggler, If someone discover that the true market value of their house had dropped significantly can they use this to make a case for the lowering of their property taxes?
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    house across the street just sold....it's the same style/layout as mine. can't wait to see what it went for. :? should be online in a few days.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    HeavyHands wrote:
    Juggler, If someone discover that the true market value of their house had dropped significantly can they use this to make a case for the lowering of their property taxes?
    I know we can do this in Canada...hmmm, good point.
    HeavyHands wrote:

absolutely. take the appraisal to your county or city and see if the taxes can be reassessed.
    www.myspace.com
    81 wrote:
    house across the street just sold....it's the same style/layout as mine. can't wait to see what it went for. :? should be online in a few days.

walk across the street and demand they give you the information now. why wait? :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    HeavyHands wrote:

absolutely. take the appraisal to your county or city and see if the taxes can be reassessed.

thanks!
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
    HeavyHands wrote:
    HeavyHands wrote:

thanks!

we get a form in the mail every couple of years when the reasses the property.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

walk across the street and demand they give you the information now. why wait? :lol:

:lol: and while i'm at it, i'll ask why they rented a uhaul truck when they had a silverado and ridgeline parked out front by people that were helping with the move. they lived close as well, considering they made two trips with the uhaul truck sat am.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:

:lol: and while i'm at it, i'll ask why they rented a uhaul truck when they had a silverado and ridgeline parked out front by people that were helping with the move. they lived close as well, considering they made two trips with the uhaul truck sat am.

your neighborhood sounds like an interesting enough place.
    www.myspace.com
    your neighborhood sounds like an interesting enough place.

it's about as exciting as paint drying. which IMO, isn't a bad thing.

the most interesting thing is all the mixed couples on my corner. i barely see any when i'm out and about, but i come home and there are three all living next door/across the street. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Crazy to see the price differences from region to region. Where I live, real estate went up almost 300% from 03 to 08, then dropped about 25% in 08, and has since recovered about half of that....The inventory left from the 08 crash is finally depleted, new housing starts are up, and our economy is starting to boom again (directly tied to oil prices), so we're expecting values to start rising quickly again.
    There are a lot of people around here buying vacation homes in places like Florida and Arizona...it's crazy - these vacation homes are twice the size and extravagance of their primary homes....but are being bought outright with only a fraction of the equity from their primary residence. ...If the equity in my home reaches anywhere near what it was pre-08 crash, I'm selling, retiring, and moving to Detroit ;)

Blows me away that a house could sell for $12k. The lumber alone has gotta be worth more than that.