Options

Any Active Duty Military 10-C members?

PearlJainPearlJain Posts: 565
edited July 2008 in The Porch
I just felt a need to ask. I was in the USAF for six years...my little brother is still serving. Any comments you care to share?
The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Gandhi

"Empty pockets will Allow a greater Sense of wealth...." EV/ITW
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Rose1963 wrote:
    I just felt a need to ask. I was in the USAF for six years...my little brother is still serving. Any comments you care to share?
    i tried joining after high school, couldn't get in for medical reasons.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    LongRd. wrote:
    i tried joining after high school, couldn't get in for medical reasons.

Which branch of the military did you try to join? My dad spent time in the Marines, my older brother in the Army Reserves...but being married to an Air Force person - I graduated High School at Clark Air Base,Philippines, and joined from there. My MEPPS station was Honalulu, HI. I was a "Pet Rainbow" (civilian clothes) for about 3 days until the rest of my "Flight" arrived at Basic Training in San Antonio. Everyone is assigned a "nickname" by the T.I. and mine was "Private Benjamin." My husband (ex- twice removed) was still in the Philippines at the time. I know.....way too much information!

Erase, erase, erase...so much of my life....if that were possilbe (other than having served my country - which the military certainly prepares one for!) I would love to hear anything from anyone whom WAS military, IS military, etc. I am educating myself. This is an election year - and I "separated" just prior to Gulf War I......! I was still in Germany during THAT entire episode with Sadaam! Please respond (only if you support our troops!)
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Gandhi

• Options
    jammergirljammergirl Posts: 599
    my brother is in the army and I have more friends than i can count in different branches of the military. my bro was a sniper in a ranger battallion in afghanistan, and he was stationed out of hawaii. he is currently in the reserves with a medical unit outside of sacramento, but recently he was approached about joining a special ops unit that just formed. apparently he even has to learn arabic! crazy shit.
  • Options
    jammergirl wrote:
    my brother is in the army and I have more friends than i can count in different branches of the military. my bro was a sniper in a ranger battallion in afghanistan, and he was stationed out of hawaii. he is currently in the reserves with a medical unit outside of sacramento, but recently he was approached about joining a special ops unit that just formed. apparently he even has to learn arabic! crazy shit.

I appreciate you even responding. I get the feeling that this thread won' t get many responses. You're brother sounds very cool to me. I think the thing with me. is ...unless you have been there (Iraq, Afganistan) and truly want to serve....no clue! And this leaves other readers whom have never spent a day in the military....how quick they are to judge what is right or wrong. No easy answers. But I respect YOUR brother the same way I respect MY younger brother. I still support every military person whom is in the M.E.!)

• Options
    woo hoo! AD Navy here!!!! NAS Oceana baby!!! Am I the only PJ fan in the military? Damn...
    "I feel the same way about disco as I do about herpes." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, 1977
  • Options
    woo hoo! AD Navy here!!!! NAS Oceana baby!!! Am I the only PJ fan in the military? Damn...

Cool! Married? I just remember a quote "Navy Wife...toughest job in the Navy...as you all go out to sea for 6 months at a time! And you love Pearl Jam music! This is way too cool for words! Come "out of the closet" military people! Some have been there, done that, and still are doing it! So very cool!

• Options
    Rose1963 wrote:
    Cool! Married? I just remember a quote "Navy Wife...toughest job in the Navy...as you all go out to sea for 6 months at a time! And you love Pearl Jam music! This is way too cool for words! Come "out of the closet" military people! Some have been there, done that, and still are doing it! So very cool!
    Well engaged, but kind of on the fence with that...well deployments are now around 8 months long...sooo yeah..but i'll let you guys know before i head out to the sandbox! :D
    "I feel the same way about disco as I do about herpes." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, 1977
  • Options
    Oh, to be that young and "in love" again. What's your rank (in the "E" terms or officer terms.) Thanks for serving....as "corny" as that may sound!

• Options
    OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    I was AD Air Force from 01 to 07, now I'm in the Air National Guard. I met one other guy while I was in that really liked PJ, not a 10 C memeber though. Most guys I worked with like really shitty music.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • Options
    Well I AM a 10C member...since 04 baby! Uhh..thanks for serving? Thank me for fixing the loud ass airplanes that piss everyone in Virginia off O.o

Uh i'm an e-4 (Petty Officer 3rd Class) not very high up, but I just never studied.
  • Options
    I think most of us on this board are very well educated in the "Body of War" video....and we respect it. Rightfully so. With that said - I guess those whom are in the military have no right to love Pearl Jam music.....? No one wants to get shot, no one wants to die....however - isn't it ironic that the military gives you your freedom to post these endless video references of Body of War. Obviously you never served in the military...correct? I would bet you never did. If you have issues with the fucking war - then take it up with your Senator ...and vote your conscience.

• Options
    Surf RiderSurf Rider Posts: 813
    Rose1963 wrote:
    I think most of us on this board are very well educated in the "Body of War" video....and we respect it. Rightfully so. With that said - I guess those whom are in the military have no right to love Pearl Jam music.....? No one wants to get shot, no one wants to die....however - isn't it ironic that the military gives you your freedom to post these endless video references of Body of War. Obviously you never served in the military...correct? I would bet you never did. If you have issues with the fucking war - then take it up with your Senator ...and vote your conscience.

what the hell are you talking about?

i thought it could be good information incase any ex-military pearl jam fan was a vet against the war.

i wasn't picking a fight. you are looking for one.
  • Options
    Yeah....who says you can't be in the military and a pj fan/anti-war?
  • Options
    I apologize! I just pulled up that first reference - and...well...came unglued! (As you can no doubt tell!) I just can't sit by and have others "trash" the military...which...after your explanation - you weren't trying to do! Again - I sincerely apologize .....and BTW -I am the starter of this thread! :)

• Options
    OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    If this tread is going that way....try "A Moving Train" please.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • Options
    Yeah....who says you can't be in the military and a pj fan/anti-war?

exactly, this dude was looking for this. i think pj fans can be in the military, putting words in my mouth won't do anything for you.

I guarantee there are some pj fans that are in the military against the war. deal with it.
  • Options
    I know I can't be the ONLY AD member here...
  • Options
    If this tread is going that way....try "A Moving Train" please.

Actually -
    I WAS on "Moving Train" when I initially started this thread. How do I move this thread there? BTW - no one says you can't be prior military and not oppose the war! I just have developed somewhat of a disrespect for the "modern day hippie" (teenager - or slightly older) whom sits around, jobless and smokes weed, and then feels a need to post their opinions! If you fit this description - please disregard this thread! Move on and insult others if you feel that need!

• Options
    Rose1963 wrote:
    Actually -
    I WAS on "Moving Train" when I initially started this thread. How do I move this thread there? BTW - no one says you can't be prior military and not oppose the war! I just have developed somewhat of a disrespect for the "modern day hippie" (teenager - or slightly older) whom sits around, jobless and smokes weed, and then feels a need to post their opinions! If you fit this description - please disregard this thread! Move on and insult others if you feel that need!

you insulted me. you got pissed because i posted something that a pj fan in the military might find interesting and you disagree with it. so you got your panties in a bunch and pretty much did the same ol' hypocritacal thing of speaking of the freedoms military provide then question why I would dare exercise that freedom.
  • Options
    I'll just throw this out there in case this does get sent to a moving train.

Yes...I am active duty United States Navy

Yes...I am a Pearl Jam fan, obviously

Yes...I've been a 10c member for four years now

No....I do NOT agree with the war, nor condone it.

But...If I get called to go to war, I will go and serve my country to the best of my ability if needed, although I do not agree with the terms of being. Because I honestly have no choice in the matter.
  • Options
    PJAMEDVED wrote:
    exactly, this dude was looking for this. i think pj fans can be in the military, putting words in my mouth won't do anything for you.

I guarantee there are some pj fans that are in the military against the war. deal with it.

I KNOW you're young - because you call everyone "dude" - even females. Anyway - you are certainly entitled to your opinion. :) This thread was not menat to be a new "Battleground." Let's keep it respectful (myself included!) :)

• Options
    edited March 2009
    Post edited by Surf Rider on
  • Options
    Some people are very "grumpy" in the a.m. So - I'll chalk it up to that. Let's be nice. This thread is about our military members whom love Pearl Jam music. Let's focus on that.....! :)

• Options
    edited March 2009
    Post edited by Surf Rider on
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    I just wanna take this time to say to everyone that is in the service....THANK YOU!!!

Thank you for everything you do!!!!

Please be safe!!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    PJAMEDVED wrote:
    you insulted me. you got pissed because i posted something that a pj fan in the military might find interesting and you disagree with it. so you got your panties in a bunch and pretty much did the same ol' hypocritacal thing of speaking of the freedoms military provide then question why I would dare exercise that freedom.

Wrong!
    I started this thread in order to get some education regarding military PJ Fans - ONLY! I would like some PJ military fans to speak about how they feel - about PJ music, the war, etc. ( NOT you - unless YOU are currently or formerly military). Either way we all love PJ music on this board. This is what keeps us all together - despite our different points of view! This thread has now obviously gotten "side-tracked" into some kind of worthless "bitch" session - of which is irrelevent! As usual. I appreciate the military for all that they do! Period. The end. I also appreciate the effects of the war. Period. The end. I'm now done with the thread I started -as I now apparently have to justify it to a youngin. Teaches me a great lesson - Stay the fuck off of this board - Too many teenagers!

• Options
    Danimal wrote:
    I just wanna take this time to say to everyone that is in the service....THANK YOU!!!

Thank you for everything you do!!!!

Please be safe!!

This is probably the most adult thing posted thus far! Thanks!

• Options
    Rose1963 wrote:
    ( military PJ Fans - ONLY! NOT you - unless YOU are currently or formerly military).

Wow, I never knew we could say who posts in our threads.

Maybe I'll start a thread and only people whos favorite PJ song is on Yield can post in it.

Never knew we could do that, cool.

Whatever.
  • Options
    duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    PJAMEDVED wrote:
    Wow, I never knew we could say who posts in our threads.

Maybe I'll start a thread and only people whos favorite PJ song is on Yield can post in it.

Never knew we could do that, cool.

Whatever.
    probably best to walk away. its a pointless argument
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley