Options

I Want Ten Club To Raise Our Membership Fee

LUV2ROCKLUV2ROCK Posts: 140
edited February 2008 in The Porch
Please raise it to $100.00 per year,send out 4 "Deep" issues (every 3 months),keep the annual vinyl and put the rest toward's upgrading the server's so that they can handle the crush of ticket buyer's.
That way everyone who is fast enough on the draw can all get through and be on our merry way in 5 or 10 minutes.The sale would be over in less than a half hour and we could all get back to work instead of "hoping" & "trying" for tix.

Pearl Jam is one of the biggest bands in the world,and there is no reason that we can't pay $100 annually,to be certain something will work when we go to purchase stuff.Sure that's a lot of money for a fan club,but it's only $12.00 a month.Save that all year and it won't be so bad.

The Stone's,The Police & i'm sure some other's out there charge that amount for joining their fan clubs.
I have no problems helping to pay for better and faster servers,so that the band doesn't have to,so that i can have a fair shot of getting through the whole ordering process without getting bounced out repeatedly.

I had ticket's for 3 show's (L.A.1 & 2 and San Diego) in my cart 3 seperate time's,and never made it through the checkout before the servers died again.

When do i send my Ben Franklin in?
73,XXX

Member since day 1 here in August 2003
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I checked out after each pair was ordered instead of loading up my cart. Just my two cents. Maybe a little off topic.

$100 is too spendy. Just my thought.
    So now I'm drivin the bus- Kramer
    You're batman!- George
    Yeah...yeah...I AM batman!!- Kramer
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    No way.

$100 for what? They don't even tour ever year. What happens if there's no tour that year. Than we paid $100 for the server to work, but, because there were no shows, and nothing new to buy, the servers weren't tested, so its $100 down the drain. I think this is an awful idea.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    I'm agree but only in one case - if PJ will have shows so often in my country as They do in USA.
    I tell U more - if They do that, I can pay even 200$ per year plus the tickets fees:)
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    I can see what you're saying, however, $100 seems pretty steep - especially for those of us in the UK who don't get the gigs as often.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    fantastic idea!

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    I would do it, as long as we got 4 fan club letters and regular sized xmas vinyl
    :D
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    McJuicyMcJuicy Posts: 747
    LUV2ROCK wrote:
    Pearl Jam is one of the biggest bands in the world,and there is no reason that we can't pay $100 annually,to be certain something will work when we go to purchase stuff.Sure that's a lot of money for a fan club,but it's only $12.00 a month.Save that all year and it won't be so bad.

$12 * 12 months = $144
    what does the extra $44 go towards?
    buf dtw buf sce yyz tol grr yhm yyz pit yyz yyz pit bna cae aus lax lax san phl phl cle buf mke mke atl pit buf clt san lax lax gsp cae bna sea sea
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    I'm pretty sure PJ can afford new servers if they cared.

300,000 10c members x$20 a year= $6,000,000 on membership fees alone
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    $100? no chance.

why should the FANS have to pay for a server upgrade?

the band makes millions upon millions a year... you mean to tell me a small portion of that wouldn't be able to go to 10c for such things????
  • Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    2006 - 07 wasnt that bad for us in the UK
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    McJuicy wrote:
    $12 * 12 months = $144
    what does the extra $44 go towards?

LUV2ROCK doesnt use Gregorian calendars... too busy counting their money to even notice what year it is.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    smile05 wrote:

it was utter shit.. Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland didnt get a single gig... oh you mean England??!?! oh silly me i should have known :rolleyes:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    halszka123 wrote:
    I'm agree but only in one case - if PJ will have shows so often in my country as They do in USA.
    I tell U more - if They do that, I can pay even 200$ per year plus the tickets fees:)
    They play Europe a lot for an AMERICAN band.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,863
    stickfig13 wrote:

not all 300,000 10C members are active, i think it's up around 416 now anyway. Last time I heard only 1/3 or less are actually active members...
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options

Kings of Leon play A LOT... Pearl Jam have played 4 times in the Uk in the last 8 years... now i'm no mathematician... shame really as they get paid a fucking lot
  • Options
    what would have been best is if there were a one-time $100 activation fee (i hate that term b/c the cell phone companies always rip you off with those) which could have gone to cover systems upgrades as more and more people joined the club.

hell, it probably could have been only $50 or so...if we are already up to member numbers in the 300k area, that would be $15,000,000.

i wouldn't mind paying some sort of one-time fee (even though i've been a member for 10 years) if it meant the site would work during these sales.
    9/22/96, 8/17/98, 8/18/00, 6/22/03, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 7/16/06, 7/18/06
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    No.
    I'm a god damned university student, who would be lucky if he could afford to see Pearl Jam twice or three times on a tour, let alone pay $100 for ten club per year?
    Ever hear about the ticketmaster battle? Yeah. Pearl Jam wanted AFFORDABLE tickets. Keyword is affordable. If you don't like it, don't renew...because it's not gonna hurt me any.
  • Options

they do?! must've missed that one, i'm such a bad tenclub member *slaps own wrists* MUST - BE - A - BET-TER - P-J - FAN!!!... :rolleyes:

:p
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,218
    LUV2ROCK wrote:
    Please raise it to $100.00 per year,send out 4 "Deep" issues (every 3 months),keep the annual vinyl and put the rest toward's upgrading the server's so that they can handle the crush of ticket buyer's.
    That way everyone who is fast enough on the draw can all get through and be on our merry way in 5 or 10 minutes.The sale would be over in less than a half hour and we could all get back to work instead of "hoping" & "trying" for tix.

The Stone's,The Police & i'm sure some other's out there charge that amount for joining their fan clubs.
    I have no problems helping to pay for better and faster servers,so that the band doesn't have to,so that i can have a fair shot of getting through the whole ordering process without getting bounced out repeatedly.

I had ticket's for 3 show's (L.A.1 & 2 and San Diego) in my cart 3 seperate time's,and never made it through the checkout before the servers died again.

When do i send my Ben Franklin in?
    Yeah... yeah... like that won't quit your complaining when you have paid 500 bucks in 5 years for 2 tours. Come on... i know you're upset, but don't be ridiculous. Take a step back and a deep threat and think about the 19 year old American having to kick down a door in Baghdad in the middle of the night and not knowing what the fuck is going to greet him.
    Then, tell me all about your problems.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    stickfig13 wrote:

I don't think there are 300,000 active members, but let's just say 100,000 for arguments sake. Now that would be 100,000 x $20 a year = $2,000,000 annually to cover the expenses of running the 10c, their limited workforce, newsletters, etc.

Okay, let's say they raised the membership to $25 a year. 100,000 x $5 = $500,000. All of that extra money could go toward a server upgrade. I'm sure half a million dollars is plenty to fix the current issues with ticket sales, ya?
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    JD Sal wrote:
    I don't think there are 300,000 active members, but let's just say 100,000 for arguments sake. Now that would be 100,000 x $20 a year = $2,000,000 annually to cover the expenses of running the 10c, their limited workforce, newsletters, etc.

Okay, let's say they raised the membership to $25 a year. 100,000 x $5 = $500,000. All of that extra money could go toward a server upgrade. I'm sure half a million dollars is plenty to fix the current issues with ticket sales, ya?

Plus all the merch that is sold probably doubles the yearly membership revenue
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    jecicajecica Posts: 954
    I would do it if they put some of it to a charity.
    Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.... (Voltaire)
  • Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    smile05 wrote:

The UK.
    Do you realise, weve had 22 gigs in total? 22, from 1992 to 2007, and btw, 8 of those were club gigs in 1992. So let's look at a realistic figure of 14, since they cracked it big, 14 gigs....for all the success they've achieved in the UK, that's pitifull by anyones standards. No wonder Ed was emotional at Reading, emotional and embaressed.
    Put the fees up? put out more Deep magazines??? They struggle to put anything worth reading in the ones we get now! Why would we want more?
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    id be fine with a higher cost... would probably eliminate some of the fairweather fans and help get me better tix! :p

quite frankly tho... if the band really thought it was such a problem they would invest their own money into fixing this thing... i think yesterday may have been the final straw... in the past there have been some pretty big glitches but i dont know if ive ever heard of 10C causing the kind of financial trouble they did for some people... if they dont realize by now how big an issue this is then they certainly do not deserve more money...

i didnt try for tix either... i just think its absurd how poorly that sale went from what ive read... i think theres a number of options for the 10C to take tho before jacking up the membership fee that much
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    I'm all for helping non-southerners continue to get 10C tickets.....anything I can do to help them I'm game.
  • Options
    I would like it to be known that should this imaginary situation arise, I would still pay the $100 if they did rack up the price... still, doesn't make it right though.

• Options
    I disagree that the membership fee should be raised. It shouldn't be the fans that pay for the opportunity to buy tickets from the band. That's on the band's shoulders. They make plenty of money to upgrade the servers, and if you, as a fan, want to donate money to them to upgrade the servers you are free to do so. To make it mandatory for everyone is just dumb.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    gleemonex wrote:
    I disagree that the membership fee should be raised. It shouldn't be the fans that pay for the opportunity to buy tickets from the band. That's on the band's shoulders. They make plenty of money to upgrade the servers, and if you, as a fan, want to donate money to them to upgrade the servers you are free to do so. To make it mandatory for everyone is just dumb.

Counterpoint would be what if they decided to use ticketmaster instead of upgrading their servers. So instead of paying an extra $5 per year to help with the server upgrade, we'd pay an extra $10+ per ticket in convenience fees from ticketbastard.
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    stickfig13 wrote:
    Plus all the merch that is sold probably doubles the yearly membership revenue

Exactly, if I felt they were selling all of that merch for cost and weren't making any profit then I might feel better about raising the membership fees. As it stands now I don't understand why their revenue can't cover their operating costs.
  • Options
    Before they raise prices they can do some trivial stuff that would have at least seriously helped the situation. For example stagger the sale of tickets for each show instead of offering all the shows at once -- this could be done at no additional cost. Another obvious alternative is to outsource for more capacity the handful of times they actually need it. There's a number of companies that offer such services, it's not like they need beefy servers all year.