Anyone growing any veg this year?

2»

Comments

• tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    Claireack wrote:
    Zucchini is a courgette?? We had masses last year and it's not my favourite veg, but we got a soup recipe and it was fantastic! I may not be a courgette fan in some forms but courgette soup is now one of my favourites. :D

Yum I love cougettes. I've never heard of courgette soup though, can you post the recipe or PM it to me pretty please :D
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Sorry tink, I've only just seen this.

This is off the top of my head;

1lb of chopped up courgettes
    1 onion.
    1 pint veg stock
    1/2 tub creme fraiche
    Salt & pepper to taste

Gently fry the onions and courgettes until soft, add the stock and simmer for about 10-15 mins. Whizz up with one of those hand held choppy up things. Stir in the creme fraiche, salt and pepper to taste. It really quick and easy to make and tastes yummy. :D:D:D

Quiet week at the allotment this week. The weather has been a bit wet so haven't been able to go up so much. However, pretty much of all of it is dug over now, just one small bed that has the strawberries in to do. We've put edging on what we want as paths and put a bit of a fence up one side as someone keeps parking there and we don't want them accidently driving on our plants. We could do with lifting up the shed a bit, it's got a bit damp over the winter, but I think that can probably wait a bit.

The weather today started off miserably, but perked up this afternoon - unfortunately I was working, which was very frustrating as I just kept thinking about being about outside. Maybe the dry weather will continue until tomorrow :D
  • lillwild1lillwild1 Posts: 32
    We grow tomatoes, cucumbers, and basil. Then we make pickles, can tomato sauce, and make our own pesto.
    Speak then to me, who neither beg nor fear your favours nor your hate.
    lillwild1 wrote:
    We grow tomatoes, cucumbers, and basil. Then we make pickles, can tomato sauce, and make our own pesto.

I think I should pickle something this year. Not sure what though.

Damn, just realised forgot all about Spring onions, rather like them and have no seeds planted. Mmmmm, must get onto that.
  • front spacerfront spacer Posts: 3,246
    My wife and I are going to give a garden a try this year for the first time....here's goes nothing.
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18
    Boston - 09.02.18, 09.04.18
    indybright wrote:
    My wife and I are going to give a garden a try this year for the first time....here's goes nothing.

:D:D
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    Oooh, silly me for missing this thread. I'm big-time vege gardener, have been for years, since my uni days actually & my garden has been going fabulously this summer! :D I'm growing more veg than I can eat & will be doing some bottling today. I've copied your courgette soup recipe claireack & might give that a go today too as I got 2 marrows off my courgette plants yesterday! :lol:
    Currently, I'm picking tomatoes, courgettes(zucchini), beans(green runner, french, purple & butter), capsicums(peppers), mesclun salad greens, pumpkins, silverbeet(swiss chard).... + I have many herbs. My asparagus & potatoes have finished & I have eggplants(aubergine) still coming on & broccoli & beetroot coming on for winter.
    I love my garden & it'll be great to talk with fellow 10c gardeners!! :D
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
    Ooooo Morello, that sounds fantastic!!

We've just put our first lot of potatoes in, will have to keep an eye out for late frost though. French beans are also in with a fantastic teepee made by hubby for them to grow on.

I think this thread needs pictures, I will have to get onto it :think:
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,138
    I planted some pole beans and cucumbers on Monday. I'm going to plant some sunflowers in the next week or so (although I'm not certain on how to harvest the seeds :?).

Hopefully they all turn out well. I wish I had more land to be able to have a proper garden...
    I planted some pole beans and cucumbers on Monday. I'm going to plant some sunflowers in the next week or so (although I'm not certain on how to harvest the seeds :?).

Hopefully they all turn out well. I wish I had more land to be able to have a proper garden...

I saw advertised today a bag thing that you hang up and the tomatoes grow out the bottom. That would be quite handy in a small space :)
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,138
    Claireack wrote:

I saw advertised today a bag thing that you hang up and the tomatoes grow out the bottom. That would be quite handy in a small space :)
    Topsy Turvey perhaps? I've tried those for tomatos and strawberries with disappointing results. Tomatos were really small and there wasn't enough space to really harvest many strawberries.
    I can remember what they were called, that's a shame though.

At home we've only got a really small paved back yard but we're going to give Alpine strawberries a go in planters on the wall. Not had much success with strawberries in strawberry pots, the slugs ate them :(
    Well things are coming on nicely, despite the bloody slugs eating stuff.

Progress so far;

241101_1824968299568_1101080222_31783441_5786907_o.jpg

Obviously all the land you see isn't ours just the bit nearest the camera.