Anyone growing any veg this year?

ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
edited May 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Tried searching to see if there was another thread on veg, couldn't find one.

Anyhow, anyone growing anything this year. We've got an allotment (small piece of council ground that we rent/year to grow stuff on), we've been busy digging it over and weeding it but yesterday we planted a couple of onion sets. Was quite excited to actually get something put in the ground.

We've also got lots of seeds in pots trying to get them to grow.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i'll be growing grass this year.....at least until august.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Hub.Hub. Posts: 1,990
    I'm waiting for April, but yes.

I will grow some vegs in my garden (I'd been doing that for 5 years). ;)
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    You mean other than cannibis.... :D just kidding.

We are setting up plots of lettuce, eggplant, peppers (sweet and hot), pumpkin to run all over the yard. So far. Vegetables are so much cheaper than meat these days.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    Every year. Tomatoes, peppers and some cilantro etc.
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Phew, thank goodness people replied! I thought this might die a death within 5 seconds of posting.

This is only our second year of planting stuff. The potatoes are currently chitting so a few weeks and they'll go in. Our peas are doing well and are little plants. Cut and come again lettuce is sprouting along with brocolli. Still waiting on signs of life from, french beans, courgettes, butternut squash, beetroot and I'm sure we've planted something else but can't remember what.

Strawberries are in the ground from last year along with raspberries which I hope will grow this year as they just remained long twigs with leaves on last year.

Question if anyone knows, we using those biodegradable pots that you just stick in the soil when the plants ready for going in. Unfortunately some of them are already looking a bit mouldy, may have possibly over watered them. Have we knackered the seeds or will they be ok?
    Hub. wrote:
    And tastier than those you buy in supermakets (especially tomatoes). :D

We had absolutely no luck with the tomatoes we grew on our window ledge last year. They got some kind of fly infestation and never produced any fruit. Wondering whether to bother or not this year, they are damn tasty though, so might reconsider.
    Even if I grow other kind of vegetables, tomatoes are the main reason why I do it. :)
    Bubbles wrote:
    i'll be growing grass this year.....at least until august.

grass.jpg
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    Claireack wrote:
    Unfortunately some of them are already looking a bit mouldy, may have possibly over watered them. Have we knackered the seeds or will they be ok?

You may have some problems with those. you can try and put them in a pot and get it started a bit early- I've tried it before, and sometimes it works.

I have a big plot in the backyard that I want to do something with, but the weeds take over. I would have to totally till it and then put a lot of new top soil to make something out of it. We will see, as it starts to warm up.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I moved into a place with a sizable garden. Half of it has strawberries from last year that I'm hoping will come back. I will need to start thinking about the other half and what I could plant.

My problem is that I have absolutely no gardening experience and I once killed a Chia-Pet. Wish me luck!
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I will be growing clover, moss, blackberry bushes and dandelions in my yard this year!

:lol::lol::lol:
    Claireack wrote:
    Question if anyone knows, we using those biodegradable pots that you just stick in the soil when the plants ready for going in. Unfortunately some of them are already looking a bit mouldy, may have possibly over watered them. Have we knackered the seeds or will they be ok?

I would probably try to replant the seeds into other pots, mold can kill the young seedlings :(

Tomatoes are really easy to grow, just all the bugs and slugs really like them as well. Either place copper nails/wire around the plants or shallow tins around the garden filled with beer to keep slugs away. For the bugs on the plants, I buy chewing tobacco (Red Man brand, the 'natural' stuff) and soak some in boiling water to make a 'tobacco tea' (make it really strong!) add in crushed garlic and let it soak for a few hours. Strain into a spray bottle, and spray the plants with the 'tea', bugs don't like garlic or tobacco, and will stay away. I used this trick on my roses, and never had to buy ladybugs or use any other bug spray. No, my roses did not smell like tobacco or garlic either.
    You can also just plant garlic around your tomatoes to keep bugs away, not sure how well that works, never tried it.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    I won't be... I bought 3 carrots in a supermarket the other day and it cost about 14p.

Why bother digging and getting mucky, sore, bored, etc waiting for stuff to grow when you can buy it for that cheap? Also, these suckers near me have allotments and I just get up at 6-ish and take when i want. ;);)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:
    Also, these suckers near me have allotments and I just get up at 6-ish and take when i want. ;);)

:lol:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I will be growing clover, moss, blackberry bushes and dandelions in my yard this year!

Dandelion tea??
    vduboise wrote:
    You may have some problems with those. you can try and put them in a pot and get it started a bit early- I've tried it before, and sometimes it works.

Will give it a go :D
    dunkman wrote:
    suckers near me have allotments and I just get up at 6-ish and take when i want

I will be erecting a dunk-proof fence! Plus I don't think they'll let you accross the border if you're a veg rustler.
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    I'm gonna try growing using hydroponics. Tomatoes, peppers and maybe fruit of some sort.
    I'll be back
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    what is a good list of fool-proof veggies to start off with?
  • Tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, bell peppers, jalepenos, egg plants, radishes, cilantro, chives, dill.

It's a little too cold in Chicagoland for planting though.

Can't wait... A head of NON-Organic red leaf lettuce cost me $2.14 on Saturday. Made me sick.

I supplement my garden with a CSA Share during the growing months too.
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    this is the old gardening thread:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=95258&hilit=garden

Thanks for that - knew I remembered somthing.
    I supplement my garden with a CSA Share during the growing months too.

What's a CSA? Is it a bit like our allotment?
  • loadedgunloadedgun Posts: 1,389
    Trying them all from seeds this year:
    Jalapenos, Green & red bell peppers, cucumber, squash, gourds, cilantro.
    The cucumbers are really taking off already. Much quicker than everything else.

The wife gets her tomato plants already started from the store, so we'll have those as well.
    Plus whatever else I might run acroos.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • [quote="Claireack
    What's a CSA? Is it a bit like our allotment?[/quote]

Not sure what your allotment is?

CSA stands for community supported agriculture. You buy a "share" or the local farmer's crops to get delivered to you. It is really awesome to know the farmer actually growing your stuff.

Once a week I get a produce box filled with whatever was harvested that week. Then, once a month I get meat and pantry goods (flour, cornmeal, honey) all locally grown and raised.

Gonna try my hand at canning fruits and veggies this year.
    [quote="Claireack
    What's a CSA? Is it a bit like our allotment?

Not sure what your allotment is?

CSA stands for community supported agriculture. You buy a "share" or the local farmer's crops to get delivered to you. It is really awesome to know the farmer actually growing your stuff.

Once a week I get a produce box filled with whatever was harvested that week. Then, once a month I get meat and pantry goods (flour, cornmeal, honey) all locally grown and raised.

Gonna try my hand at canning fruits and veggies this year.[/quote]

That's a really good idea.

Our allotment is council land that we rent and can grow stuff on. There are some allotments that you're allowed to keep chickens etc on. Don't think I want to go there though.

We've still got courgettes in our freezer from last year, never thought about canning.
  • autumnautumn Posts: 191
    edited March 2011
    I'm gardening in my backyard again. This year I'll (hopefully) be growing kohlrabi, tomatoes (they really are sooo much better straight from the garden), snow peas, eggplant, english cucumbers, peppers, asparagus, and I'm going to try quinoa for the first time.
    I'm also growing a garden with my class. We're growing "salad". It includes lettuce, carrots, radish, cucumber and cherry tomatoes. They are so excited! We have a worm compost bin and lots of great fetilizer from it. I have warned them that just because you plant it, doesn't mean it will come to fruition. Let's hope it all works out *fingers crossed*! :D
    Post edited by autumn on
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,973
    is that what the kids are calling it these days?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    Over summer I grew lettuce, potatoes (all year round), peas, strawberries, blueberries, tomatoes (still got heaps on the vines), tried growing capsicum but they failed.

Now my garden is overgrown with potatoes and pumpkins (looks like I'll be making lots of soup). During autumn and winter our patch doesn't get much sun so doesn't do too well.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    We'll be planting, but its a good two months yet before we can safely plant most things. We can get a frost right up until June 1st, so no tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, etc. before then. My husband always plants too much zucchini, and I don't even like it. Fortunately he has a lot of friends he gives it to.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    Zucchini is a courgette?? We had masses last year and it's not my favourite veg, but we got a soup recipe and it was fantastic! I may not be a courgette fan in some forms but courgette soup is now one of my favourites. :D
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    I grow veggies in a community garden. It will be a few months before I can plant anything.