Cat behavior.

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
My kitten plays fetch with me. I throw a ball into the other room, he runs after it and drops it back at my feet.

Is this normal cat behavior? lol. He also pants really loud like a dog after a few runs. :lol:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,982
    hmm, not that I've ever heard of. Get a laser pen. you wont regret it.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    pretty normal. i've had a couple of cats that would do it. they both grew out of it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    My cat loves to play fetch. She'll drop it back at my feet and then sit there and stare at me until I throw it for her. She even learned how to throw the ball for herself by dropping it off the staircase and then running down after it. 8-)
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,464
    My cat loves to play fetch. She'll drop it back at my feet and then sit there and stare at me until I throw it for her. She even learned how to throw the ball for herself by dropping it off the staircase and then running down after it. 8-)
    meow....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,823
    yeah some of my friends cats play fetch, mine don't though.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    meow....
    kitten.gif
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,464
    My kitten plays fetch with me. I throw a ball into the other room, he runs after it and drops it back at my feet.

Is this normal cat behavior? lol. He also pants really loud like a dog after a few runs. :lol:
    My cat eats....and sleeps....

And thats about it.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • My Maine Coon/Ragdoll mix used to fetch until he managed to contract distemper, which left him "Shadow Blind". All this means is that the Distemper fried the color rods in his eyes, so that he can't see ANY color anymore and he lost definition, so every thing looks like big blobs. BUT for some stupid reason, he is now obsessed with being in my presence...So he takes rides in the van..which is NOT very common cat behavior.. he also likes baths.. now THAT is one weird cat, but I love him!!
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I've actually never heard of a cat playing fetch. I throw stuff to my cat and she'll just paw at it like crazy and run off like a paranoid mess.

My cat is just crazy. I can fuck with her so much (nothing abusive, just teasing) and she'll come right back to me seconds later. The adoption place told us shes half bengal, which would make her 1/4 asian leopard. That would explain why she is still wild as an adult.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Absolutely normal, just not incredibly common. :D

My kitty loves to play fetch, sometimes more, sometimes less. She won't always bring the ball/mouse/whatever right back up, though, she'll leave it out of reach but still expects for it to be thrown again. What a frickin' prima donna. :evil: :lol:

Every now and then she'll also drop whatever she's been fetching mid-run. Sometimes on purpose, sometimes by accident which embarrasses her. So it's important to remember to never laugh at a cat. :mrgreen:
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    My Maine Coon/Ragdoll mix used to fetch until he managed to contract distemper, which left him "Shadow Blind". All this means is that the Distemper fried the color rods in his eyes, so that he can't see ANY color anymore and he lost definition, so every thing looks like big blobs. BUT for some stupid reason, he is now obsessed with being in my presence...So he takes rides in the van..which is NOT very common cat behavior.. he also likes baths.. now THAT is one weird cat, but I love him!!
    oh I'm sorry ...

I think I understand why he wants to be in your presence and likes baths now...
    weirdly wonderful

if I could only see blobs I'd feel insecure and lonely ...the extra soothing touch and your presence
    very much needed. Glad you have each other :D
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317

My Cat (in his prime) would hunt birds of prey and small dogs and drop them at my feet, btw, how fat is your cat? It probably should not be panting so easily, let him outside, don't buy into the 'indoor/outdoor' junk, let them be free man, in and out, plus they have 7 lives, so don't worry too much.

If you are keeping your cat locked indoors, just know, that he want's to roam free, it's in his nature bro. :D step by step taking him outdoors, until he get's it. He will know where home is,
    i disagree about the indoor/outdoor thing.

if the cat doesn't want to go out, don't introduce him to it.

every night i deal with an hour of meowing to go out. we do let him out, but only in the fenced back yard with our supervision. (front declawed). he did get away once for 4 days. he's not tried taking off since, but still wants out.

and still trys to beat up the neighbor dog
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited March 2011
    MrAbraham wrote:

My Cat (in his prime) would hunt birds of prey and small dogs and drop them at my feet, btw, how fat is your cat? It probably should not be panting so easily, let him outside, don't buy into the 'indoor/outdoor' junk, let them be free man, in and out, plus they have 7 lives, so don't worry too much.

If you are keeping your cat locked indoors, just know, that he want's to roam free, it's in his nature bro. :D step by step taking him outdoors, until he get's it. He will know where home is,

He's not fat at all. I just had him running pretty crazy for a while. Here's a pic. He's 5 months old. http://www.pearljam.com/files/DSC00439.jpg

I will never let him outside. Too dangerous. He's going to be a fat indoor cat. Their lives are cut in half when you let them out. If I lived in the country or on a farm he would be let out, but there are too many dangers where I live, heavy traffic, downtown, big dogs, etc. He'd have nowhere to go, and besides, I live in an apartment, so I wouldn't know when he would be ready to come back in.

I disagree with the outdoor thing. If he is going to be a wild animal then that's fine, but as long as he is my responsibility as a pet, I'm going to keep him where he can be supervised and controlled. He has more than enough room to roam inside and he will get his share of fresh air with open windows.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
    Bubbles wrote:

every night i deal with an hour of meowing to go out. we do let him out, but only in the fenced back yard with our supervision. (front declawed). he did get away once for 4 days. he's not tried taking off since, but still wants out.

Yeah, so we gotta introduce them to the outside reality, so we can see if they want to go outside. But they are smart animals, and to deny them of the right to nature is a bit unfair. But of course like you are doing, you don't really have to let them loose, a fenced up area is alright, but really let them be free, and if they cut up the neighbors dog, well that's just evolution baby! ;)

animals deserve the truth, don't lock them away, that's just my view on the topic.

I'm sure my cat meets house cats and tells these house cats all sorts of stories about the world, and all these house cats probably think my cat is nuts.
  • My kitten plays fetch with me. I throw a ball into the other room, he runs after it and drops it back at my feet.

My mom had a cat that would play fetch. He was once named one thing...I can't remember....and soon I realized he was kind of touched in the head and started calling him Doofus....it took over.

Mom has a young cat now who plays in water and is nuts in general. They say he is quite the cut up. He constantly brings critters in through the pet door....including crawfish
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    Bubbles wrote:

And there is an overpopulation of ferrel cats. They kill birds and spread diseases. We don't need to be adding our pets to the mix.

I haven't decided if I'm going to declaw him yet. Many consider it cruel because they pretty much amputate their fingers, maiming their hands. My parents had all of their cats declawed growing up. He's been relatively behaved with his claws so far. As long as things don't get out of control, I don't see any reason to put him through that.
    Bubbles wrote:

And there is an overpopulation of ferrel cats. They kill birds and spread diseases. We don't need to be adding our pets to the mix.

I haven't decided if I'm going to declaw him yet. Many consider it cruel because the pretty much amputate their fingers, maiming their hands. My parents had all of their cats declawed growing up. He's been relatively behaved with his claws so far. As long as things don't get out of control, I don't see any reason to put him through that.

dude you are too paranoid, the avg indoor cat, in the avg american home has more to fear from inside the home than from outside in nature.

and if you can avoid the declawing, then do so. Think about it, let's chop his balls off, keep him locked up in a house, then rip his claws off.

Then people talk about, "he may catch a disease" wtf?? :D serioulsy?
    edited March 2011
    MrAbraham wrote:
    Bubbles wrote:

I haven't decided if I'm going to declaw him yet. Many consider it cruel because the pretty much amputate their fingers, maiming their hands. My parents had all of their cats declawed growing up. He's been relatively behaved with his claws so far. As long as things don't get out of control, I don't see any reason to put him through that.

dude you are too paranoid, the avg indoor cat, in the avg american home has more to fear from inside the home than from outside in nature.

and if you can avoid the declawing, then do so. Think about it, let's chop his balls off, keep him locked up in a house, then rip his claws off.

Then people talk about, "he may catch a disease" wtf?? :D serioulsy?
    I agree that they are outdoor animals, however when you introduce them into an urban or suburban human invironment they start to effect the people around you. If you are going to introduce them to nature, make sure nature can support them and they aren't going to trouble the existing ecosystem.

I think there's a line you have to draw, and it's going to be case by case. If you can let them out, then by all means do.

His balls are definitely coming off though. I hate to do it, but cats lead a happier and healthier life without them.. His sex life will suck though, but he won't have one being an indoor cat anyways, now will he. :twisted:
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Their lives are cut in half when you let them out.

My 20 year old one would beg to differ!

.....I live in an apartment, so I wouldn't know when he would be ready to come back in.
    That's more to the point. If your kitty really doesn't have access to a garden/gardens (and a cat flap to get in and out when he wants!), I understand that you would want him as an indoor pet. I've always had cats, some indoors, some outdoors. I had a couple in California and brought them to Belgium when I moved there. In California, they were outdoor cats, in Brussels, they adapted quite nicely being apartment cats.

As long as he's happy and you play fetch with him ;) (which, by the way, a lot of cats like to do :mrgreen: ).

About declawing... bad, bad human if you do that. REALLY not necessary to do that. I really can't understand that vets will do such a thing. It has absolutely nothing to do with the animal, just the 'comfort' of the owner. If you are worried about your furniture, give him a manicure, make sure he has a scratching post (or whatever).
    redrock wrote:
    Their lives are cut in half when you let them out.

My 20 year old one would beg to differ!

.....I live in an apartment, so I wouldn't know when he would be ready to come back in.
    That's more to the point. If your kitty really doesn't have access to a garden/gardens (and a cat flap to get in and out when he wants!), I understand that you would want him as an indoor pet. I've always had cats, some indoors, some outdoors. I had a couple in California and brought them to Belgium when I moved there. In California, they were outdoor cats, in Brussels, they adapted quite nicely being apartment cats.

As long as he's happy and you play fetch with him ;) (which, by the way, a lot of cats like to do :mrgreen: ).

About declawing... bad, bad human if you do that. REALLY not necessary to do that. I really can't understand that vets will do such a thing. It has absolutely nothing to do with the animal, just the 'comfort' of the owner. If you are worried about your furniture, give him a manicure, make sure he has a scratching post (or whatever).

I think its either they make it to 20 or they get hit by a car or eaten by a coyote prematurely.. Consider your cat a survivor. ;)

Yeah, I want to avoid declawing at all costs. It's a last case scenario.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341

I think its either they make it to 20 or they get hit by a car or eaten by a coyote prematurely.. Consider your cat a survivor. ;)

Not many coyotes in London, but we do have urban foxes (which either get chased by the cats or both species share a sunny spot in the garden!).

My next eldest one is 9... he's almost halfway on his way to being a survivor too!

I haven't decided if I'm going to declaw him yet. Many consider it cruel because they pretty much amputate their fingers, maiming their hands. My parents had all of their cats declawed growing up. He's been relatively behaved with his claws so far. As long as things don't get out of control, I don't see any reason to put him through that.

No, no, no, no! :o
    redrock wrote:

What she said! There's absolutely no reason to EVER declaw a cat. If I'm not mistaken, it's not even legal in some countries.

If your kitty starts "misbehaving" with his claws, clipping them will do. There's plenty of info on how to do that all over the place and I'm sure a vet can do it for you too.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."

His balls are definitely coming off though. I hate to do it, but cats lead a happier and healthier life without them.. His sex life will suck though, but he won't have one being an indoor cat anyways, now will he. :twisted:

whaaaat?? nah bro, think about what you are saying, I mean really? Cats are not truly happy until our arrogant selves come along and cut their balls off, now they are really happy.

I do however understand doing it for over population reasons, but still do not agree with it, also the science is against dong it to make them 'healthier', If anything, it only takes away one or two probables and adds new ones.

It's really just a bit cruel to do all these things to them. Then on top of it, the cat has to see you all day, the same dude who did all of the shit to him in the first place. Your cats gonna look at you and think psychoooooo!...
    After a brief discussion with the other half, I just wanna add (in order to not come off as a high and mighty prick :P ) that if, if there's a medical reason to do so, declawing a cat could be fine.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Having worked in a vet clinic and seeing what can happen to cats these are my opinions:

*neuter neuter neuter (or spay spay spay)-this calms the territorial behaviour that can be exhibited in male cats (like spraying everything, everywhere), and female cats in heat, are, well let's just say 'interesting to live with'

*indoor/outdoor? I have both. I agree with Bubs/81, if your kitty is declawed, you MUST watch him if he goes out. Inside kitty got out once, and didn't come back for over 2 weeks. One cat has been to the vet many times to take care of abscesses, raccoon bites etc, but we have a mole free lawn and we get 'presents' every now and then. The other cat is just 'there' he doesn't catch anything, or roam the neighborhood, if he could ring the doorbell all day he would...he likes to sit by the door and try to scratch it open. Outdoor kitties are exposed to many more diseases, so you will need to vaccinate for more things. My outdoor kitty when I was a kid lived to be 17, and the neighbor's outside cat lived to be 22.

*declaw or not to declaw-I say don't, basically it's cutting off your fingers at the first knuckle, where your fingernail is. Most vets use a guillotine nail clipper to cut the claw off, some use lasers but at a cost. If you must do it, do it when the kitty is VERY young, older cats can't handle it, and literally go crazy (I've seen the cats come back, and they turn all mean and nasty). Just teach kitty what is ok to scratch, and what is not. The rope/sisal covered scratchers are best (if you get carpet, the cat doesn't know the difference between his post and your floor, sisal/rope has a specific feel to it). Most places now either refuse to declaw, or charge astronomical prices to declaw...like $1200 USD, just for the front 2.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    MrAbraham wrote:

whaaaat?? nah bro, think about what you are saying, I mean really? Cats are not truly happy until our arrogant selves come along and cut their balls off, now they are really happy.

[/quote]

They are very territorial and hormonal before they are nuetered. They become much friendlier and calmer after the are nuetered, and their risk of getting cancer is lower.

He's getting nuetered. I've never read anything that gives good reasons not to unless you plan on breeding them. It is irresponsible to let an unnuetered pet out there populating an already uncontrolled ferrel cat population. More kittens means more starvation or pets without homes.

Many clinics will nueter or spade wild cats for free if you bring them in.
    1200 bucks...what is this banfield. oh yeah, banfield blows. avoid them at all costs.

i don't remember how much i paid, but it was any where near that rate. he was a little pissy about that. he started biting a little more aftwards, but all in all, i would do it again. i've sacrificed for him, he can give up a little for me.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Is this an actual thread?
    Is this an actual thread?

with no new newbies, these are the threads we are left to endure. :|
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg