Options

Ed's Voice

stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
edited March 2011 in The Porch
I agree that Ed can't quite scream the way he used to, but goddamn, the man can sure hold a note still!! Listening to Black from Auckland 11-27-09...wow.
Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JR86440JR86440 Posts: 737
    I actually think he is a better "singer" now....reminds me of a baseball pitcher who got by on pure talent alone who got older and learned how to use the corners instead of relying on the 98 mph fastball...ed is curt schilling.. not 25 anymore but better than ever..
  • Options
    stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    JR86440 wrote:
    I actually think he is a better "singer" now....reminds me of a baseball pitcher who got by on pure talent alone who got older and learned how to use the corners instead of relying on the 98 mph fastball...ed is curt schilling.. not 25 anymore but better than ever..

Agreed, except for the Schilling reference...I would say more like Mike Mussina. :D
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    Cool Face RyanCool Face Ryan Posts: 1,254
    Mike Mussina = my favorite player of ALL TIME. HOF no doubt. Love the Moose. Even have his college jersey hanging up in my closet haha.
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
  • Options
    dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    One of the main reasons I got into Pearl Jam was because of Ed's voice. I mean in the way he is the first singer I heard ever to use his voice as an instrument and not just to sing the lyrics. Some thing that he does to make every song unique. We like to make threads on comparing songs but each song is different in its own way and I think its because the way he uses his voice. I dont know its hard for me to explain. But I think every one under stands. The man is unique :D
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • Options
    HailRoad24HailRoad24 Posts: 133
    I think the degradation in his voice since 2006 is pretty substantial. Smoking, touring, age, etc. have really taken a toll on his voice. He has a lot of problems holding notes, hitting certain notes, and his lung capacity has decreased significantly. Is that a criticism of him? Not at all. He is getting older and he has been doing it for 20+ years. Just a fact of life. He's one of the greatest singers of all time, but I don't think he is better now than he was.
    -PUSH ME AND I WILL RESIST!
  • Options
    robthepjfanrobthepjfan Posts: 647
    gah i wish he would lay off the smoking and drinking....still the best singer ever...but theyve definitely taken a toll on his lung capacity..screaming..etc....i was at jazzfest last year and he reaaaally struggled on songs like comatose, do the evolution....but o well the performance of "nothingman" was maybe the best ive ever heard
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Eddie's voice, and his use of it - is the main reason I still follow Pearl Jam. He can sing like nobody else - the emotions he can conjure up, the highs the lows - it is awe inspiring. I loved his huge bellowing vocals of the past, and I love his more punky style with Pearl Jam today. Sure, his voice has changed over the years, but I agree he is a better singer overall. His vocals on Into the Wild, and at this year's Bridge School event are surely as strong as anything he has ever delivered. Most of the music in my collection I love for the singing - whether it's Bowie, Dylan, Van Morrison, Morrissey, whoever - it is always the voice that I focus on the most - and out of all my records - it is Vedder's singing which stands out the most. I really think he is one of the most exceptional vocalists. Long may his reign continue!
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    manutd3581 wrote:
    Mike Mussina = my favorite player of ALL TIME. HOF no doubt. Love the Moose. Even have his college jersey hanging up in my closet haha.

Mike Mussina...HOF?? Are you kidding me? No CY Young awards or Championships in his career and never once did he lead the league in wins, strikeouts or ERA. So why would you think he's HOF material? And before you think I'm a hater, I'm from Maryland and a Baltimore Orioles fan.

The better example would be someone like Nolan Ryan or Greg Maddux.

RM
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    is heaven :D
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    I prefer Ed's voice now over his voice in 1995.

I never saw PJ live in 1995 but I have many of the bootlegs and his voice just sounds terrible...not sure why...although his voice sounds better on the 96 tour.
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    he sounded amazing on 96 and 98 tour for sure...i think he screamed his ass off in 95 tour...judging by some of the bootlegs ive heard
  • Options
    thefin190thefin190 Posts: 918
    Is it weird that I try to imagine newer Pearl Jam songs/EV solo songs with Ed's 1991/92 voice?
    Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
    Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Newch91 wrote:

Wow - just had that thundering out of my speakers. I can see what you mean :D
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    on albums it's strong as ever... but live he seriously lacks. he sounds tired half of the time.
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Ed's voice on tour atm has been brilliant! Holding long notes no problem, high bits, low bits no problems. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,629
    Can anyone whose been to the Australia shows say whether or not Ed's been smoking?
  • Options
    pn262980pn262980 Posts: 67
    Go Beavers wrote:
    Can anyone whose been to the Australia shows say whether or not Ed's been smoking?

He's still smoking...comes out on the last encore with a smoke. Has also made references to the other sort of smoke as well.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,629
    pn262980 wrote:
    Go Beavers wrote:

He's still smoking...comes out on the last encore with a smoke. Has also made references to the other sort of smoke as well.

I see Ed smoking as the equivalent to Mike deciding to juggle knives and flaming torches. It risks losing and damaging the playability of his instrument.
  • Options
    he sounds great at that Hartford show tho...judging from that link to "low light" and a vid i saw for unthought known...is that a good bootleg to purchase?
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,700
    morello wrote:
    Ed's voice on tour atm has been brilliant! Holding long notes no problem, high bits, low bits no problems. :)

Exactly! I was just going to say that. Must be the Australian air or something because he sounds fantastic. :)
  • Options
    Yes he was smoking in Oz, on stage during the encore even at more than one of the shows I went to(= a AU$5000 fine apparently). I agree he shouldn't smoke, no-one should smoke & it will probably decrease the life of his voice, shit it will probably decrease his life but meanwhile he does smoke & his voice still sounds AMAZING.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
  • Options
    Saw Ed on his solo tour in Brisbane - I honestly think he sounds better now.
    He hit every note with perfection, i feel sometimes he nearly gets drowned out by the band but solo-ing, he had nothing but himself and his guitar / ukelele / harmonica etc...and he honestly shone!!

Like fine, fine wine, he's getting better with age!! ;)
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    HailRoad24 wrote:
    I think the degradation in his voice since 2006 is pretty substantial. Smoking, touring, age, etc. have really taken a toll on his voice. He has a lot of problems holding notes, hitting certain notes, and his lung capacity has decreased significantly. Is that a criticism of him? Not at all. He is getting older and he has been doing it for 20+ years. Just a fact of life. He's one of the greatest singers of all time, but I don't think he is better now than he was.

this has been said since 95...

he just keeps going....
  • Options
    smoking has definitely taken a toll. you can hear it. if he stopped with the coffin nails, you'd be surprised what he sounded like a year later. so would he.
    Give way to nature ...
  • Options
    smoking has definitely taken a toll. you can hear it. if he stopped with the coffin nails, you'd be surprised what he sounded like a year later. so would he.
    "coffin nails" I like that. Never heard that before, very good! :)
    <hr>
  • Options
    anyone seen the youtube vids to a couple Ed solo shows...yes the ENTIRE show!...he sounds freaking amazing....lots of PJ shit on there too....acoustic "unthought known" , "sometimes", "long road", etc.
  • Options
    anyone seen the youtube vids to a couple Ed solo shows...yes the ENTIRE show!...he sounds freaking amazing....lots of PJ shit on there too....acoustic "unthought known" , "sometimes", "long road", etc.
    Yep, the shows were definitely "freaking amazing"! Including Ed's voice! I'm just trying to work our how to get the audion onto a CD.into my ipod now so I can relive the shows forever!!! :D
    <hr>
  • Options
    of he can split the songs up one by one i can do it....gosh he sounds amazing on those shows....and in that official video is it just me or does he look a touch younger lately? i dunno
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    of he can split the songs up one by one i can do it....gosh he sounds amazing on those shows....and in that official video is it just me or does he look a touch younger lately? i dunno
    Yeah split up into tracks would definitely be best but I just want anything right now!!
    Post edited by morello on
    <hr>