Deciding to get a tattoo

2»

Comments

• EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    Awesome idea you had about the pets. :) Yes, I totally agree on working in a place that celebrates diversity, and certainly it is your right to express yourself!! (why I have them, too, :) ) Sometimes, in the nursing world it is just not acceptable, though. ;( If I had my choice it would be different, but, sadly, it's not. Like, I also went through a phase where I wanted those dirty dreads that you eventually have to shave off and the 'powers that be' said oh hell no.. But pretty much the only thing that was ever said about them was by that doctor who told me I wouldn't get into medical school with them. I was like, what?? And props to you, girl!! Wear your skirt!!! :clap: I do sometimes, but again, I really do have to consider the context just to spare myself. :)

Should have added... I've been a nurse for 16 years. All in Harvard teaching hospitals and you don't get stuffier than that! Always thought it was pretty funny that the only disparaging comment I ever heard came from another nurse.

Also, having been on panels that interviewed medical students who were applying to a residency program, then voted on who got in and who didn't _ nobody cared about their tats.

The pendulum swings... ;)[/quote]

Well, that is awesome indeed! Although I'm just a lowly staff RN. :) And the doctor who said that said it to me in '95 so obviously things have changed. Plus, if they're residents, they already been through the school part. :D

oh...to add, then you totally relate to the fingernail/hair issue--also had to take out my eyebrow ring to work.
    [Should have added... I've been a nurse for 16 years. All in Harvard teaching hospitals and you don't get stuffier than that! Always thought it was pretty funny that the only disparaging comment I ever heard came from another nurse.

Also, having been on panels that interviewed medical students who were applying to a residency program, then voted on who got in and who didn't _ nobody cared about their tats.

The pendulum swings... ;)[/quote]

Ahh..I see..also it is important/relvant where one is, as well. I see 'greater Boston'...of course, to be Harvard...never been there but would like to go someday. :) I used to live in New Orleans, but now I'm in small town, NC, and the amount of progressive thought is much more limited where I am now. Naturally, that makes a huge difference. :lol:
  • Such an interesting thread, with so much good advice.

I have two tattoos. Got one in 2004 the day after the Red Sox beat the Yankees in the ALCS. That was when they came from being down 0-3 and were largely written off. So it was still fresh (and tender) when they won the World Series. It's the stocking logo, on my left ankle.

I do love the Sox, but I'm not a rabid fan who can tell you all the stats of all the players at every moment. But that tattoo reminds me that no matter how bad things seem, you can always come from behind. Also, there was such an incredible sense of community in Boston at that time, it was truly moving. If I never watch another game, I'll still remember how great it was in the fall of 2004.

I went bigger than I originally intended, and I'm glad I did. The artist was able to create a texture, so it almost looks like it's embroidered.

My second tattoo is a silhouette of a black Lab, on my right ankle. Got that one a few days after our Lab, The Late, Great Seamus, died. I wanted him to be with me forever, and now he is. At the time I envisioned eventually having all of my dogs as an anklet. But I know when Sailor's time comes, he will need something truly special as he is the love of my life. So he may end up on my wrist or somewhere else where I can see him every day.

I've been thinking about something special for PJ20. Maybe ultra-traditional, like Stickman, or maybe a lyric framing an image. Not sure about that yet.

Regarding the comment about having to cover tats for job interviews _ I've worked for Harvard teaching hospitals which are really quite conservative. Now I work in a software tech environment that is much more creative and upstart-ish. At the Harvard hospitals, I wore skirts in the summer and people could see _ and at times comment on _ my tattoos. The powers that be didn't even raise an eyebrow... but one coworker at my same level (manager) made several comments about how awful tattoos are, and how her kids would never be allowed to get them, they are trashy, etc.

I think at the end of the day you have to decide whether you want to work in a place that celebrates diversity. As far as I'm concerned, I have a right to express myself in a nondisruptive way. Whether that means wearing a headscarf, a crucifix, pink hair, a yarmulke or the lyrics to "GTF" on my arm.

:)

Your tattoos sound amazing. I love the idea of your dog being with you forever. It is one of the nicer thoughts I have had regarding tattoos.

I'm not too concerned with how a tattoo would impact my working opportunities as it would be in a covered area, but that is interesting to think about.

My concern now is that after walking around SXSW, I saw hundreds of tattoos and most of them looked faded and quite unattractive. That is worrisome.

Also, I am such a Boston wannabe. My beloved friend and cousin live there and I am trying to make my way there. That was a really great series.
    Well, fuckers, he still stands.
  • if you're already second guessing it then don't do it

it really doesn't sound like you're a "tattoo person"

:( I haven't made a decision yet to second guess.
  • Suzi78 wrote:
    Suzi78 wrote:
    I was the same way. Never thought I'd get a tattoo. I even thought most tattoos looked a bit trashy. Then Backspacer was released and I was listening to Just breathe like 20 times a day and I felt that song just spoke to me and I knew I had to have it tattood on my body. Took me about a month to find the right font, took it with me to the tattoo place and had it done in 40 minutes. Just like you, I didn't want it to show too much, but at the same time I didn't want anything tiny, so I placed it vertically on my right rib. Doesn't show too much unless I raise my arm. I love it and don't regret it for a second. Even my mother likes it :)
    Go for it! But take your time to find the right one for you.

Hope this doesn't sound creepy, but I saw yours on the thread awhile ago and thought if I was to ever get a tattoo, I would want it to be like that. That's why I am thinking ribs, because I really like the way yours looks. It is very nice.

Thank you! Haha, no it doesn't sound creepy. I was browsing through Dimi's tattoo pics on facebook too and got quite inspired. I know boyo79 thought it hurt like hell when he got his ribs tattood but it wasn't that bad for me. SO don't let that scare you. I asked my tattoo guy to honestly tell me if that was the most painful area to have done and he just smiled at me. So of course I was anticipating the worst. However, during the first lower part of my tattoo I could barely stop laughing and moving becasue it was tickling, then as he got closer to my armpit it started hurting. I guess women can handle pain better :) And I agree with the people above me, don't make it too small. Mine is about 30 cm (a foot) and it would've looked a little wimpy had it been smaller...I think. ANyway, post some pics when you get it done. Will be fun to see what you choose.

Yeah I am not too scared about the pain, rather the permanence of it. Besides, I think rib tattoos are really nice. As I wrote to Unlost, I was at SXSW this weekend and saw hundreds of faded and awful-looking tattoos. That is my newest concern. But I've been told that it is the sunlight that speeds the fading process, so maybe that would not be a problem for me?

I will take a picture for sure if and when I decided to go for it!
  • EmBleve wrote:
    welll..I don't know..but I do totally agree that you need to really think about what you want, if you will want it forever, and the tattoo artist. tres important!! :) I have 4, have had them for years, and each one has a story behind it and personal meaning (of course)...but I do regret some of them....particularly the placement. I have one on each ankle--these are the ones I regret. If you're a guy, it doesn't matter so much. :lol: But, for me as a girl, I did not think about the fact that it basically would rule out wearing a dress or a skirt to pretty much any event--I am forever destined to the land of opaque tights. Also, at one point several years ago I was contemplating going to medical school (I'm a nurse)..well, never made it to medical school--chose another option, but I won't ever forget a doctor in the ER I used to work in once saw one of the tats on my ankle and knew I was thinking about medical school and he said "if you go for an interview to get in, don't let them see that or you'll never get in". Damn. I also read somewhere recently that Travis Barker said that he started getting his very early so that he would have no other choice but to go into music for a career. funny. :D
    Good luck!

That's such a great point. That's why I wanted to choose a covered area, so that I would not feel strange in a professional or formal situation.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,983
    choose the image carefully, research the artisis in your area. If or once you get it, take care of your skin. That will extend the life of the ink.

I have several that are 20 yrs old. they are faded somewhat. Some due to overexposure to the sun. but mostly because I dont take care of my skin the way I probably should. regardless, these are my tats , if somebody doesnt like them , well F em.

From the sounds of all your posts, you keep coming up with possibilies to stop you from getting it. In the end, you either want one or you dont.

With the inks being produced these days, you are better served getting a tat these days than some were way back when. This is a huge industry now, so the research into new products is greater with more science behind it.

Take the plunge. if you decide you dont like or want it anymore, theres always laser removal!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    I've seen a lot of faded ink, or blurred lines. But I had a friend who had one of his tats re-inked (after several years) and it looked great. Mickeyrat is right, there must be something in the newer inks that makes them more long-lasting.

Regarding the comment about the eyebrow ring _ when I was teaching I had a nursing student who had her tongue pierced with a bolt. When she was concentrating, she would flick the knob of the bolt forward so it was up against her front teeth. She wasn't even aware that she was doing it. I had no intention of stifling her right to have a piercing, but I did quietly speak with her when we were alone at one point, just to let her know that if she did that around an elderly patient they might be taken aback. Or a fussy faculty member... I didn't want her to get into trouble.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    i have two.

it took me a long time to get my first one which is the dallas cowboys star on my upper arm. i kept thinking about it and putting it off. then one day i thought fuck it and went to book the appointment and ended up getting it that day because of a cancellation.

my other one is the pearl jam stickman.

i want to get another one but i don't know what to get anymore. it will probably be awhile before i get another.
    dCowboyPJ wrote:
    i have two.

it took me a long time to get my first one which is the dallas cowboys star on my upper arm. i kept thinking about it and putting it off. then one day i thought fuck it and went to book the appointment and ended up getting it that day because of a cancellation.

my other one is the pearl jam stickman.

i want to get another one but i don't know what to get anymore. it will probably be awhile before i get another.

That's sweet!
    EmBleve wrote:
    welll..I don't know..but I do totally agree that you need to really Good luck!

That's such a great point. That's why I wanted to choose a covered area, so that I would not feel strange in a professional or formal situation.

Yeah, just something to think about. :D
    Regarding the comment about the eyebrow ring _ when I was teaching I had a nursing student who had her tongue pierced with a bolt. When she was concentrating, she would flick the knob of the bolt forward so it was up against her front teeth. She wasn't even aware that she was doing it. I had no intention of stifling her right to have a piercing, but I did quietly speak with her when we were alone at one point, just to let her know that if she did that around an elderly patient they might be taken aback. Or a fussy faculty member... I didn't want her to get into trouble.

That was a nice thing to do. :) Some older patients are really turned off by that type of thing. At one place I worked it was part of nursing dress code policy that there could be no facial piercings. You could have them, but just not wear anything in them. :)
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    I got my Given to Fly in Ed's handwriting tattoo last November for my 18th birthday, which is on my back right shoulder blade, and I could not be happier with it! The song means the world to me and to have it as a constant reminder as a part of me now is pretty awesome. I was definitely pretty nervous to get it and at first worried about the pain most of all. I didn't find it too bad at all, and because I just got 'Given to Fly' it took all of 15/20 minutes, so not bad at all. But be aware that what people say is so true- they're addicting! I already have ideas of 2nd and 3rd tattoos that I want in the future! :D It's a completely personal decision, but I'd say go for it if it means a lot to you!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    Is there even a way to decide?

I've always been the "I am afraid of permanence" person....

maybe you should get "no longer afraid of permanence" tattoo'd somewhere :D
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    A big flaming skull is always a good ice breaker.
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    I forget which album art its on, but its the stick girl falling into the eye ball.

I really like that....hmmm...i'll have to look in to which one that is..."leaving here" lyrics i think.
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • mickeyrat wrote:
    choose the image carefully, research the artisis in your area. If or once you get it, take care of your skin. That will extend the life of the ink.

I have several that are 20 yrs old. they are faded somewhat. Some due to overexposure to the sun. but mostly because I dont take care of my skin the way I probably should. regardless, these are my tats , if somebody doesnt like them , well F em.

From the sounds of all your posts, you keep coming up with possibilies to stop you from getting it. In the end, you either want one or you dont.

With the inks being produced these days, you are better served getting a tat these days than some were way back when. This is a huge industry now, so the research into new products is greater with more science behind it.

Take the plunge. if you decide you dont like or want it anymore, theres always laser removal!!!

You're right. I keep talking myself into it and then out of it. I know that I want it. I'm just a commitment phobic.

But I appreciate the information you have provided. Thank you. Good to know that I can help a bit with skin care and that there is better ink!
  • samjam wrote:
    I got my Given to Fly in Ed's handwriting tattoo last November for my 18th birthday, which is on my back right shoulder blade, and I could not be happier with it! The song means the world to me and to have it as a constant reminder as a part of me now is pretty awesome. I was definitely pretty nervous to get it and at first worried about the pain most of all. I didn't find it too bad at all, and because I just got 'Given to Fly' it took all of 15/20 minutes, so not bad at all. But be aware that what people say is so true- they're addicting! I already have ideas of 2nd and 3rd tattoos that I want in the future! :D It's a completely personal decision, but I'd say go for it if it means a lot to you!

I blame you for half of this. I saw your tattoo on the thread awhile ago, and like Suzi, it stuck with me. When I saw it, I knew it was exactly what I wanted but hadn't known before then. Again, I hope that does not sound creepy. But yours is amazing and I love it.

And Given to Fly really does mean a lot to me, especially in Ed's handwriting.

My name is Sam too, by the way. A bit odd, really.
  • Boo Boo wrote:
    Is there even a way to decide?

I've always been the "I am afraid of permanence" person....

maybe you should get "no longer afraid of permanence" tattoo'd somewhere :D
    :lol: But that is kind of the attitude that I am trying to have right now.

No longer afraid of a lot of things.
  • A big flaming skull is always a good ice breaker.
    :lol:
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    samjam wrote:

I blame you for half of this. I saw your tattoo on the thread awhile ago, and like Suzi, it stuck with me. When I saw it, I knew it was exactly what I wanted but hadn't known before then. Again, I hope that does not sound creepy. But yours is amazing and I love it.

And Given to Fly really does mean a lot to me, especially in Ed's handwriting.

My name is Sam too, by the way. A bit odd, really.
    There are worse things I could have been blamed for, so I'm OK with that :lol:! But thanks much for the nice compliments :) I had the same thoughts about it being in Ed's handwriting from the Yield booklet too- the song/phrase on its own means a lot but to have that little touch of it being in Ed's handwriting makes it that much more special to me! Let us know if you decide to go through with the tattoo and be sure to post pictures if you do!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2